PDA

View Full Version : OKC / Norman Steakhouse's

sooner-n-ga
10/9/2007, 09:10 PM
Where to go on Friday afternoon ?

Might be headed up to watch Jenks play Friday night, is there somewhere good up that direction ?

CtheB
10/9/2007, 09:35 PM
The Ranch or Mahogany in North OKC. Both are located near major highways that will get you onto the Turner Turnpike in minutes to get you to Tulsa fat and happy.

Both are extremely pricey, but well worth it.

Soonerus
10/9/2007, 09:36 PM
Who is Jenks playing ???

batonrougesooner
10/9/2007, 09:39 PM
Mahoganey hands down. Then Boulevard in Edmond. Ranch is so-so. There's a Mahoganey in Tulsa too.

CtheB
10/9/2007, 09:44 PM
Baton rouge.....I had the fortune of doing a doubleheader in a three day period between the Ranch and Boulevard, and to me the Boulevard has gone down lately. The Ranch was much better, and this was about three weeks ago. FYI.

And on the fourth day? Well, I spent it..ahem, disposed if you will. :)

Blue
10/9/2007, 09:45 PM
Head north to Stillwater. They hate Roy Williams, too. ;)

sooner-n-ga
10/9/2007, 09:49 PM
Who is Jenks playing ???

Something like Sand Springs or Sandy Springs.

Soonerus
10/9/2007, 09:54 PM
Something like Sand Springs or Sandy Springs.
What does that have to do with OKC or Norman for christ's sake...

SoonerGrant
10/9/2007, 09:56 PM
What does that have to do with OKC or Norman for christ's sake...

lol He was answering who Jenks played :P

Seamus
10/9/2007, 10:06 PM
Where to go on Friday afternoon ?

Might be headed up to watch Jenks play Friday night, is there somewhere good up that direction ?

Try Roy Williams' Horsecollar Grill :cool:

Soonerus
10/9/2007, 10:08 PM
If you are going to Sand Springs, why do you care what good steak houses exist in OKC/Norman...

sooner-n-ga
10/9/2007, 10:17 PM
If you are going to Sand Springs, why do you care what good steak houses exist in OKC/Norman...

The game is at Jenks, I was planning on eating mid-afternoon and then driving up.

snp
10/9/2007, 10:18 PM
For the best steak, make it yourself :(

Soonerus
10/9/2007, 10:21 PM
Norman has all of the chains...I suggest Benvenuti's on Main Street..

Collier11
10/9/2007, 10:25 PM
This guy cant be serious, you are coming to Okc to watch Jenks even though Jenks is in Tulsa?? At first I just thought you were dumb but after seeing your other posts you have to be a tolllleoolleeooll!!!

swardboy
10/9/2007, 10:29 PM
I believe he flew to Norman to watch OU...but will take a Friday trip to watch Jenks play...he just wants to know a good place to eat in OKC on the way out to the tulsey area....there, not too difficult

soonerguild
10/9/2007, 10:29 PM
Its not really on the way to tulsa, not a long way out of the way either, but my favorite steak house is Cattleman's on Agnew in the stockyards. MMmm thinking about their Presidental T-bone and ranch makes me wanna go. Not cheap tho.

Blue
10/9/2007, 10:33 PM
Who else is playing Friday in the Metro/Norman area?

sooner-n-ga
10/9/2007, 10:37 PM
I'm flying into OKC for the Oklahoma / Missouri game on Saturday. I'll be getting in at 1:00 and by the time I get the rental car and out of the airport I assume it will be around 2:30 or so, I then plan on checking into my motel and then finding a late lunch / early supper for me and the wife.
With High School football being so popular here in Georgia, we thought it would be a good idea while out there to see 1 of the best Oklahoma has to offer to see how it compares to here. We support the #2 team in the state.
With Jenks being 110 miles or so according to Streets and Trips '07, we figured we could ride up and catch the game. We will then be it the stadium supporting the sooners on Saturday and flying back out early Sunday morning.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2007, 10:39 PM
We can't compare to the thugs in GA.

Soonerus
10/9/2007, 10:39 PM
Who else is playing Friday in the Metro/Norman area?

Too much to mention, check the internet...300,000 expected on the Oklahoma River this weekend...Centennial Parade on Sunday...

Monster Zero
10/9/2007, 10:50 PM
In far west OKC try Freddie's steak house on North Meridian. It's danged good, and reasonably priced. Run by a local family since the reign of King Barry.

Also, on North Lincoln Blvd, there's Jamil's authentic Lebanese steak house. Very excellent, just don't look in the kitchen.

Blue
10/9/2007, 11:05 PM
Too much to mention, check the internet...300,000 expected on the Oklahoma River this weekend...Centennial Parade on Sunday...

talking about high school games. Thanks though. Is there any big games Friday around norman/okc?

For the Miami game we watched Enid/Midwest City. (bc im originally from Enid) Anybody have a link to the high school schedule for friday?

I would love to see Duncan, Enid, or Ponca City playing in the area.

Soonerinatex
10/9/2007, 11:42 PM
Not sure it's still around or if it has gone down hill or not but Indian Hills Steakhouse used to have a decent steak. Wasn't uncommon to see Switzer there back in the 80's gettin' lit up.

It was just off of I-35, north of Norman, south of Moore.

CatfishSooner
10/9/2007, 11:45 PM
Not sure it's still around or if it has gone down hill or not but Indian Hills Steakhouse used to have a decent steak. Wasn't uncommon to see Switzer there back in the 80's gettin' lit up.

It was just off of I-35, north of Norman, south of Moore.

Must have gone down hill...bc it is f'n terrible! :eek:

PhilTLL
10/9/2007, 11:49 PM
In far west OKC try Freddie's steak house on North Meridian. It's danged good, and reasonably priced. Run by a local family since the reign of King Barry.

Also, on North Lincoln Blvd, there's Jamil's authentic Lebanese steak house. Very excellent, just don't look in the kitchen.

Eddy's (not "Freddie's") also has the Lebanese appetizer setup. The food is usually better if they're busy. Jamil's is pretty reliable and also relatively cheap.

Indian Hills was pretty mediocre the last time I went there, though that was at least 3 years ago, so they may have bounced back. The steak was okay, if a little bland, but the sides were really disappointing.

Aries
10/10/2007, 07:03 AM

If you decided to drive on up to the Tulsa area and eat closer to game time, there is a Freddie's in Sapulpa (right off of Turner Turnpike) and a Jamil's in Tulsa.

Freddie's is pretty good, Jamil's is supposed to be but I've never eaten there myself.

GoState
10/10/2007, 07:56 AM
My favorite steak place is Boulevard in Edmond. North of where you're wanting to go, but hey, you're driving all over the place anyway. Great place.
http://www.boulevardsteakhouse.com/

Big Red Ron
10/10/2007, 08:08 AM
If you aren't on a budget and really enjoy great steaks, go To Red Prime in Downtown OKC.

http://www.redprimesteak.com/

Better than Boulevard.

batonrougesooner
10/10/2007, 08:41 AM
Wasn't impressed with Red Prime. Not bad, not great either.

The wife and I try to make it to Mahoganey once every two weeks or so and I've never been disappointed.

Big Red Ron
10/10/2007, 08:52 AM
Wasn't impressed with Red Prime. Not bad, not great either.

The wife and I try to make it to Mahoganey once every two weeks or so and I've never been disappointed.You must have been on a bad night. I've eaten at the best steak houses from DC to LA an Red is on par with many of them. Mahoganey is a solid joint too.

Lott's Bandana
10/10/2007, 08:55 AM
Kinda surprised me, but Mickey Mantle's served me a hunk 'o flesh recently that tasted like steak is supposed to taste...makes you glad to be a carnivore.

SteelClip49
10/10/2007, 09:19 AM
Never can go wrong with Steak & Shake...off of East 2nd and Bryant in Edmond less than a mile east of the University of Central Oklahoma campus and 3 miles or so west of I-35.

There is also one in MWC but the better one is in Edmond.

Boomer.....
10/10/2007, 09:23 AM
Never can go wrong with Steak & Shake...off of East 2nd and Bryant in Edmond less than a mile east of the University of Central Oklahoma campus and 3 miles or so west of I-35.

There is also one in MWC but the better one is in Edmond.
If you want a burger and shake.

Mahogany is by far the best steak place I have eaten at. A little costly, but amazing.

SteelClip49
10/10/2007, 09:28 AM
I live near Memorial where all those restaurants are. I have never been to Mahogany but hear great things. I usually eat at Carrabba's and Traber's joint, Jersey Mikes for some damn good subs.

batonrougesooner
10/10/2007, 09:36 AM
I'll give Red Prime another chance then.

I agree with the comment regarding Mickey Mantle's. I think they are very good as well.

Mahogany, Boulevard, Mickey Mantle's in that order. The Ranch is a distant fourth. I guess the jury is still out on Red Prime (I'll give Ron the benefit of the doubt here).

Ruth's Chris in NOLA and Baton Rouge set the standard IMHO. They are two of the original Ruth's though.

Jersey Mike's makes a killer philly steak.

Doesn't this thread belong in the South Oval?:)

Boomer.....
10/10/2007, 10:25 AM
SO? Yes.

BTW, Jersey Mike's subs are some of the best EVAR!

sooner-n-ga
10/10/2007, 10:40 AM
that isn't hard to do !

Please help me narrow it down due to me not knowing anything about where I'll be and the kind of tight time frame I'll be own.

From the Airport to the game at Jenks, which place would be the best (and easiest to find) compared to a Longhorn type restaurant, which is most common here with Outback Steakhouse's (we don't like OB). I would like to do a local type, but with the tighter time frame it might not work out.

I noticed that you guys don't have Longhorn steakhouse's in Oklahoma, kind of surprised me.

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/splash.asp

Thanks,

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2007, 10:43 AM
Roy Williams could probably give you the information you need

Will
10/10/2007, 08:34 PM
I like Legend's In Norman but that is not really on your way... YOu could eat there saturday before the game!

jwlynn64
10/10/2007, 08:41 PM
Eddy's (not "Freddie's") also has the Lebanese appetizer setup. The food is usually better if they're busy. Jamil's is pretty reliable and also relatively cheap.

Indian Hills was pretty mediocre the last time I went there, though that was at least 3 years ago, so they may have bounced back. The steak was okay, if a little bland, but the sides were really disappointing.

Have to agree with PhilTLL, Eddies cooked a pretty mean steak when I lived in the OKC. If you want a chain, this isn't the place for you but it's been around for a while and I always like to support the home grown establishments.

Stitch Face
10/10/2007, 08:53 PM
The wife and I try to make it to Mahoganey once every two weeks or so and I've never been disappointed.

But do you drive there in a $43,000 Yukon?

I went to the Mahogany in Omaha once. The bill for the seven of us was $850.

Boomer.....
10/10/2007, 09:03 PM
that isn't hard to do !

Please help me narrow it down due to me not knowing anything about where I'll be and the kind of tight time frame I'll be own.

From the Airport to the game at Jenks, which place would be the best (and easiest to find) compared to a Longhorn type restaurant, which is most common here with Outback Steakhouse's (we don't like OB). I would like to do a local type, but with the tighter time frame it might not work out.

I noticed that you guys don't have Longhorn steakhouse's in Oklahoma, kind of surprised me.

Thanks,
If you are worried about time, either eat in OKC or Tulsa. You might try Cattleman's. It is off of I-40, a local place which has been around forever, and has good steaks.

Not recommending for you, but Tulsa does have Lone Star Steakhouse and a Texas Roadhouse which are probably like Longhorn Steakhouse.

Ash
10/10/2007, 09:09 PM
that isn't hard to do !

Thanks,

Maybe you should look into hiring a travel agent or having your wife plan this thing. Finding a place to eat shouldn't be this hard....for anyone.

bluedogok
10/10/2007, 09:47 PM
I agree with the comment regarding Mickey Mantle's. I think they are very good as well.
The building that Mickey Mantle is in was one of my projects, also worked on Mickey Mantle/Stumpy's space/build-out. It is owned by the Kirby's Steakhouse (http://www.kirbyssteakhouse.com/) group out of Dallas.

The VIIIth
10/10/2007, 09:54 PM
Kinda surprised me, but Mickey Mantle's served me a hunk 'o flesh recently that tasted like steak is supposed to taste...makes you glad to be a carnivore.

Mickey Mantles, Boulevard and Mahogany all use Grade A Prime. Less than 2% of all beef is Grade A prime. Personally, I like Juniors, another Prime steakhouse in the Oil Center on NW Expressway. The best Caesar salad I've ever had...never had a bad piece of meat either. The place has been there through at least two oil booms...it has some longevity attached to it.

The VIIIth
10/10/2007, 09:59 PM
BatonRougeSooner...you of all should know that the Best steakhouse is New Orleans original Ruth's Chris Steakhouse...I've eaten at the one in Baton Rouge on I-10 across from the Hilton many times...used to see Edwin Edwards there almost everytime.

On that same note, why not have lunch in Norman at the Gourmet Deli on main? I ate their Tuesday and just like the regular that he is, The King was holding court from 12:30 to 1:30. Seeing Switz beats a good steak 2 to 1.

tommieharris91
10/10/2007, 10:57 PM
Why the hell has Ryan's Steakhouse not been mentioned in this thread yet? N00bz.

sooneron
10/10/2007, 11:00 PM
You rubes haven't even mentioned Petroleum Club.
:D

CitySooner
10/11/2007, 02:42 PM
Hey Georgia boy, why don't ya try any of the Golden Corrals why you are here. Surely why you are in the trough line you will run into some of your long lost cousins. Get real pal. You don't have what it takes to be a SOONER. a 'WANNABEE' you will always be. Keep dreamin!

frankensooner
10/11/2007, 03:11 PM
Edna's top of Classen Circle.

Jeopardude
10/11/2007, 03:19 PM
Hey Georgia boy, why don't ya try any of the Golden Corrals why you are here. Surely why you are in the trough line you will run into some of your long lost cousins. Get real pal. You don't have what it takes to be a SOONER. a 'WANNABEE' you will always be. Keep dreamin!

Weakest. Post. EVAR. The "why" instead of "when" really puts in the nail in the coffin of a bad large font and trash talking someone trolling for steakhouse suggestions.

frankensooner
10/11/2007, 03:22 PM
Weakest. Post. EVAR. The "why" instead of "when" really puts in the nail in the coffin of a bad large font and trash talking someone trolling for steakhouse suggestions.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101268

ouwapiti
10/11/2007, 03:25 PM
whatever happened to that family style place in OKC???...sleepy hollow...around '90 that place was awesome!!!!

JohnnyMack
10/11/2007, 03:26 PM
This place rules.

CitySooner
10/11/2007, 04:40 PM
Yo Jeopardude. Talk about the 'weakest post EVAR'. You might want to take frankensooner's advice next time before you start rippin' me or anybody else about their post. Seems to me you're just trollin' for someone to rip on, especially when you criticize my font. I've posted this way since the get-go, its my style, and I don't plan on changing it for you or anyone else. BOOMER SOONER!

tommieharris91
10/11/2007, 06:12 PM
Seriously, do we need a ****ing match over this?

bluedogok
10/11/2007, 07:00 PM
whatever happened to that family style place in OKC???...sleepy hollow...around '90 that place was awesome!!!!
It closed a few years ago.

Boarder
10/11/2007, 07:52 PM
I've posted this way since the get-go, its my style, and I don't plan on changing it for you or anyone else.

Seriously? All 37 times you've posted the same way?

BigDeezy
10/11/2007, 08:43 PM
If you are looking for a good steakhouse in the Tulsa area, I recommend the Avalon Steakhouse, on Old Supulpa Road in west Tulsa (right near where the turnpike begins). New building, but same great food as they have had for years, at a reasonable steakhouse price. I hear Mahogany's is very pricey.

StoopTroup
10/14/2007, 08:09 PM
Did you make it to the game?

Let's see some pics.

sooner-n-ga
10/14/2007, 09:11 PM
I'd be glad too, but I don't know how to do the URL thingy.

Sooner24
10/14/2007, 10:47 PM
It closed a few years ago.

It's open again. It's located at 1101 NE 50th St. Be careful or you will drive right past it.

sooneron
11/14/2007, 09:47 PM
If you aren't on a budget and really enjoy great steaks, go To Red Prime in Downtown OKC.

http://www.redprimesteak.com/

Better than Boulevard.
Ok, on your rec, we went there when I was in town for the aggy game. It was very good. I eat at a lot of NYC's steak places and Red Prime held up. VERY GOOD.

BoomerSooner07
11/14/2007, 09:50 PM
I'd be glad too, but I don't know how to do the URL thingy.
www.photobucket.com

Monster Zero
11/14/2007, 09:57 PM
For a real, family-owned place to go that's been in business since any of us were around, go to Freddie's in NW OKC. It's the real deal. For mexican breakfast, go to The Diner on Main Street in Norman. Don't tell anybody, though, it's a well-kept secret...

sooneron
11/14/2007, 09:58 PM
For a real, family-owned place to go that's been in business since any of us were around, go to Freddie's in NW OKC. It's the real deal. For mexican breakfast, go to The Diner on Main Street in Norman. Don't tell anybody, though, it's a well-kept secret... with an hour long wait on the weekend.
fixed it for you

texas bandman
11/14/2007, 10:06 PM
Anybody been to Indian Hills Steakhouse lately? It had great steaks when I lived in Moore back in the dark ages. It's been open forever. It is located at the Indian Hills Road Exit between Moore and Norman.

sooneron
11/15/2007, 08:49 AM
I don't think you need to describe where Indian Hills is. At least I would hope not. Their steaks suck from what I have heard. [mob tweak thing with my nose] I have always wondered how that place has stayed in business. [mob tweak thing with my nose]

MikeInNorman
11/15/2007, 09:06 AM
Sadly, (although, recently, not so sadly), Indian Hills is kaput. Some sort of sports bar appears to be going in there, believe it or not.

I agree on the awesomeness of Red Prime.

sooneron
11/15/2007, 09:17 AM
Sadly, (although, recently, not so sadly), Indian Hills is kaput. Some sort of sports bar appears to be going in there, believe it or not.

Nothing will last there. Just look at the chicken place or whatever it is now that is next door.

I haven't eaten at Indian Hills since prolly 1995. Average back then ... It and toto's on campus have always had the mob rumor surrounding them.