PDA

View Full Version : Julio Jones?

Pages : [1] 2

Desert Sapper
10/9/2007, 07:35 PM
Any idea why Rivals shows him with no interest in us while Scout shows him visiting on 3 November (aTm)? Why visit if no interest?

Mjcpr
10/9/2007, 10:10 PM
He will eventually be beaten out by Mario Barber, III anyway.

insuranceman_22
10/9/2007, 11:24 PM
I can't answer that question, but I think it's very unlikely Jones becomes a Sooner.....but here's to hoping.

Blue
10/10/2007, 03:51 AM
Jones= Bama.

We don't want him anyway. Trust that.

Desert Sapper
10/10/2007, 07:13 AM
Jones= Bama.

We don't want him anyway. Trust that.

Is he some kind of head case?

Rhino
10/10/2007, 04:08 PM
We're in his top three and now his best friend likes us too.

I bet he still goes to Bama though.

jccouger
10/10/2007, 09:44 PM
I'll take him. Imagine our WR class this year.

EnidHighSooner
10/10/2007, 10:04 PM
Uhhh, #1 wide reciever in the nation.

Thank about that guy's.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/11/2007, 12:36 PM
Uhhh, #1 wide reciever in the nation.

Thank about that guy's.

that means about nothing except hes talented, if hes talented and has his head on straight thats great, but i seem to remember a #1 QB we roped out of texas a few years ago that didnt work out so well, so it goes a little deeper then him just being the #1 WR in the nation

jccouger
10/11/2007, 12:58 PM
I think taking the #1 receiver in the nation is worth the risk. Obviously our coaches are recruiting him, so why go against what our coaches want?

EnidHighSooner
10/11/2007, 03:33 PM
Northern read the post before me.

Exactly he's talented, we recruit TALENTED players....

SOONER STEAKER
10/11/2007, 03:58 PM
I sw Julio on TV, great athletic skills & quick. Pulled in a TD pass that should ahve gone incomplete.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/11/2007, 05:36 PM
im not saying dont take him or hes not talented, im saying dont put to much into #1 rankings like bomar, i never said dont take him, i dont even know that he is a head case im just saying

Desert Sapper
10/11/2007, 05:44 PM
For reference, the last 5 Rivals #1 WR:

2007 - Ronald Johnson - USC
2006 - Percy Harvin - Florida
2005 - Derrick Williams - Penn State
2004 - Early Doucet - LSU
2003 - Andre Caldwell - Florida

I'd take any of them in this Sooner Offense.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/11/2007, 05:57 PM
thats good hopefully he comes here and is good but not ever five star guy pans out just look at ours in past years, im not down talking the kid i hope hes good wherever he goes but i dont get my hopes too high till i see them on the field and hopefully have it together off the field

insuranceman_22
10/12/2007, 12:28 AM
Although my knowledge of Jones is limited to what I read or see on here & Scout, he seems to be a tremendously talented player. I'd like to see him dawn the Crimson of OU, but I think it'll be for the Tide.

wdupyall
10/12/2007, 09:21 PM
Julio Jones is a BEAST. Man amongst boys, and it will stay that way in college.

The Consumate Showman
10/16/2007, 10:02 AM
His buddy that we offered comitted to Bama after Saban, seemingly to try and wrap up Jones' committment, offered him. I believe his friend is only a 2 star and it seemed like OU, Bama, and others were trying to rope in the friend to get Jones. True or not, Jones is gonna go to Bama...bet the farm on it.

Desert Sapper
10/31/2007, 04:28 PM
Any idea why Scout just had an article about Jones taking notice of the Sooners, but Rivals says nothing? Does he or does he not have interest in the Sooners?

INGRAM1
10/31/2007, 04:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I do not think that he is just looking at bama. I think we have a good shot. Everybody seems to forget that these kids look at coaches and the surroundings just as much as a winning program. I hope that we get him, if he stays home then Mr. Owens from Muskogee, my home, should be our # 1 target. Go Sooners.

Any idea why Scout just had an article about Jones taking notice of the Sooners, but Rivals says nothing? Does he or does he not have interest in the Sooners?

jccouger
10/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Jemmel Owens should be our #1 target anyway. But if we get Jones too we are going to have a sick wide receiver class

INGRAM1
10/31/2007, 04:44 PM
Jemmel Owens should be our #1 target anyway. But if we get Jones too we are going to have a sick wide receiver class

I agree. He looks like he has a good head on his shoulders. I hope we can get Mr. Owens regardless. I Lousr or Utenn stays away.

snp
11/1/2007, 02:41 AM
Jones and Lester (teammate, S prospect) were suppose to make it up here for a visit this weekend but are not going to be able to make it now due to their playoff schedule. There's talks about rescheduling sometime in the future but nothing is set yet.

I think most people would be stunned if either decided to commit here.

SelmaBamaFan
11/1/2007, 06:51 AM
I saw the topic and had to share some pics:

http://www.sportsgamer.com/forums/customavatars/avatar8843_2.gif

I little small but you get the idea heh.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/880/F295912.jpg

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/880/F295924.jpg

If anything, the boy has got some hops, thats for sure!

INGRAM1
11/1/2007, 07:52 AM
Jones and Lester (teammate, S prospect) were suppose to make it up here for a visit this weekend but are not going to be able to make it now due to their playoff schedule. There's talks about rescheduling sometime in the future but nothing is set yet.

I think most people would be stunned if either decided to commit here.

I sure hope that he does come here for a visit.

Desert Sapper
11/2/2007, 09:25 AM
If Bama pulls off the upset tomorrow, I think he goes there. That would be a huge indicator that the program has turned the corner under Saban, and that would be a fast turn around, indeed.

insuranceman_22
11/3/2007, 11:17 PM
No upset in Bama, but it was damn close!

BillyBall
11/3/2007, 11:22 PM
If Bama pulls off the upset tomorrow, I think he goes there. That would be a huge indicator that the program has turned the corner under Saban, and that would be a fast turn around, indeed.

Yeah because 2 years ago they were an awful 10-2...

Desert Sapper
11/4/2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah because 2 years ago they were an awful 10-2...

That's true, but the perception in Bama was obviously that Mike Shula was not the man for the job. He went 6-7 last year, including some close losses to Auburn, Miss St, and Tennessee and some close wins over Ole Miss, Hawaii, and Vandy. I guess the true test for a coach at Bama is whether they can have a winning season the season after winning 10 or more. The last guy to do that at Bama was Stallings. Shula didn't beat Auburn, either. If Saban does that, it will go a long way toward his establishment in Tuscaloosa. So, by turnaround, I meant that they would be in the driver's seat for the SEC West. The last time they played for the SEC was in 1999.

For the record, I don't feel like Shula got a fair shake with Bama. He just didn't meet their 'expectations'.

snp
11/5/2007, 01:16 AM
For the record, I don't feel like Shula got a fair shake with Bama. He just didn't meet their 'expectations'.

Mike Shula's Resume:

2-16 vs. Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, LSU and Tennessee
3-16 vs. SEC teams with winning records
4-14 vs. nationally ranked teams.
8-20 vs. Teams with winning records

That won't cut it at a school like Bama.

BillyBall
11/5/2007, 11:20 AM

I agree completely, its an "all or nothing" type of situation at a school like Bama.

EnidHighSooner
11/5/2007, 04:59 PM
I think our chances of landing him are VERY slim, I think he's pretty high on FSU and Bama right now.

INGRAM1
11/5/2007, 05:14 PM
I think our chances of landing him are VERY slim, I think he's pretty high on FSU and Bama right now.

That sucks. I really hope that we can get him, but that might mean we lose Mr Owens, I would think that we have a better shot with him than Mr. Jones. Who is the better player? I know Jones is ranked higher. Who plays against better competition? Thanks for the info.

EnidHighSooner
11/5/2007, 06:14 PM
Julio is definetly better, like the pics above show, he's got some hops.

But we should probaly focus on Owens.

INGRAM1
11/5/2007, 06:51 PM
Julio is definetly better, like the pics above show, he's got some hops.

But we should probaly focus on Owens.

Why do you say he is better? I have not seen either play and I was just curious. Pictures do not do anyone justice imo. I know the competition that Owens plays against as I went to one of those schools a little while back but I do not know anything about bama high shcool football, is it better than our states? Go Sooners. Thaks for the reply.

EnidHighSooner
11/5/2007, 06:56 PM
I say he is better by watching both of their highlight video(s). I quess Rivals and Scout think the same, thats why he's ranked so high. so thats why I think he's better and I have no idea who's high school football is better.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2007, 10:02 PM
I don't think he made it in this weekend.

Blue
11/5/2007, 10:39 PM
Why do you say he is better? I have not seen either play and I was just curious. Pictures do not do anyone justice imo. I know the competition that Owens plays against as I went to one of those schools a little while back but I do not know anything about bama high shcool football, is it better than our states? Go Sooners. Thaks for the reply.

Alabama high school football is comparable to Ok. High school football. I'm no SoonernGa ;)

Jones plays teams like Daphne,Al(My alma mater)l; Hoover, Al(came to Tulsa a couple years ago and beat Union), and Prattville, Al(Ranked 2 or 3 in the USA today Super 25). Not necessarily the last two every year, but teams of that caliber.

I was off base in my comments earlier in the thread saying we don't want him. There's nothing to suggest he's not a great kid. I just think our chances are about 1 in 1000.

Curly Bill
11/5/2007, 10:57 PM
I was off base in my comments earlier in the thread saying we don't want him. There's nothing to suggest he's not a great kid. I just think our chances are about 1 in 1000.

So, you're sayin there's a chance?

Desert Sapper
11/6/2007, 08:46 AM
If one of these guys we have in this class so far, or one that we get in the future is the next MK, I'm all about it. One more superstar WR puts us that much closer to replacing him when he leaves. If Owens is the guy, let's get him. If Jones is the guy, let's get him. I don't think our coaches are limited by region. Not saying I don't want both of them, but I want the best players we can get. Fuller and Miller are already verbally committed, and they look pretty good (and big). If we get Owens and/or Jones, it could be even better than the 2005 crop (which is saying volumes). So, in short, if he is expressing enough interest to want to visit here, even if it is after the Bama playoffs, that is enough for me to say we can get him. Hooah.

INGRAM1
11/6/2007, 12:21 PM
I would not mind getting both of them. Owens can play safety according to rivials. I wonder how good he is at that position? Anyone know?

BASSooner
11/6/2007, 10:02 PM
We don't need another safety. We have too many of them

jdsooner
11/25/2007, 04:11 PM
Surprise! He visited for ******!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7djgR4tDSg

jccouger
11/25/2007, 04:13 PM
With Bama sucking, maybe he does decide to come here.

soonerdave79
11/25/2007, 04:36 PM
I would thing that having the most efficient qb in the ncaa throwing to you would be rather appealing as well.

Desert Sapper
11/26/2007, 09:03 AM
I would thing that having the most efficient qb in the ncaa throwing to you would be rather appealing as well.

If either of them watched us play this year, they would see that we have had multiple receivers break 100 yards receiving this year. The opportunity is certainly there for the taking. Sam can get them the ball. What they do with it after it hits their hands is up to them.

It also shouldn't hurt much to have a steady stream of star prep QBs lining up to take over when Sam is done. Nichol is waiting in the wings and Landry Jones is on the way.

And MK is probably gone after this year, so having somebody ready to come in and get all those touches would benefit them and us. They just have to be game enough to step into those big shoes.

KHS Sooner
12/4/2007, 09:55 PM
Julio has set an official visit to the University Of Oklahoma.

oklahoma.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=content.asp&cid=747412&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

insuranceman_22
12/5/2007, 02:04 AM
He'd definately be a nice addition to the WR fold.....

Rogue
12/6/2007, 09:44 PM
'Bama fans around here are going crazy about this kid visiting OU.

Nevermind...Blue cleared up his comment.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 12:55 PM
not to scare anyone, but his final visit before signing day is to Pass Happy Valley down in Lubbock. Hopefully Leach will be gone before then ;)

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 01:49 PM
not to scare anyone, but his final visit before signing day is to Pass Happy Valley down in Lubbock. Hopefully Leach will be gone before then ;)

Yikes. Crabtree and Jones would be pretty tough to stop, I'm guessing. I hope he is more interested in winning championships than individual awards.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 02:38 PM
Yikes. Crabtree and Jones would be pretty tough to stop, I'm guessing. I hope he is more interested in winning championships than individual awards.

that's what I'd like to think as well. But, people need to realize that with the success of a Crabtree, or a Maclin (to a lesser degree) there are players who would normally be locks for teams competing to win championships, that coudl easily consider 'lesser' schools because they could play early, and be in a type of offense that plays to their skill set. Looking at his scheduled visits it's kinda wierd. He visits Bama this month, then does his other four visits in the span of about 6 weeks I believe. We're in the middle of his list of official visits, and Tech ends that list.

Desert Sapper
12/7/2007, 02:55 PM
that's what I'd like to think as well. But, people need to realize that with the success of a Crabtree, or a Maclin (to a lesser degree) there are players who would normally be locks for teams competing to win championships, that coudl easily consider 'lesser' schools because they could play early, and be in a type of offense that plays to their skill set. Looking at his scheduled visits it's kinda wierd. He visits Bama this month, then does his other four visits in the span of about 6 weeks I believe. We're in the middle of his list of official visits, and Tech ends that list.

If PT is what he's worried about, he'll have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the spring if he's here or the summer otherwise. My guess is that MK will leave a void at WR that we will NEED to fill.

Scott D
12/7/2007, 03:53 PM
If PT is what he's worried about, he'll have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the spring if he's here or the summer otherwise. My guess is that MK will leave a void at WR that we will NEED to fill.

I concur, and I'd love to have Jones in our recruiting class. It's going to be a tough 'battle' no matter where he decides to go. I just hate competing for a receiver with a school that has no issue with throwing 70 passes in a game.

KHS Sooner
12/8/2007, 06:53 PM
John Parker Wilson blows :D

Scott D
12/9/2007, 10:50 AM
John Parker Wilson blows :D

true enough, but I doubt it'll be long before Star Jackson is the starting QB for Alabama.

Jello Biafra
12/20/2007, 07:39 PM
*AHEM*

http://roundtableradio.com/

go here, halfway down, clips from the roundtable......interview of julio......scroll down and look for 11-29 Foley WR Julio Jones on recruitment

looking good. keep your fingers crossed.

Desert Sapper
12/20/2007, 08:20 PM
*AHEM*

http://roundtableradio.com/

go here, halfway down, clips from the roundtable......interview of julio......scroll down and look for 11-29 Foley WR Julio Jones on recruitment

looking good. keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for that. He did mention OU a couple times. I'd have to guess from his discussion that Bama, Florida, LSU, and OU lead. I like the way he called Sam Bradford 'that lil' ol' Freshman at OU.' Heh.

Doesn't it seem very unwholesome that ESPN is going to fly him out there (meaning to CT, I guess) to announce live on TV? He's a High School kid.

starrca23
12/21/2007, 10:00 AM
Well, He did mention that the OU visit was one of his top visits, he also said that turning out pro talent and having a staff that will work him are important. We do that stuff!

Desert Sapper
12/21/2007, 10:47 AM
Well, He did mention that the OU visit was one of his top visits, he also said that turning out pro talent and having a staff that will work him are important. We do that stuff!

And we lift us some weights in the off-season! Just ask all those guys that quit to run to other, lesser, programs. Boo-yah!

INGRAM1
12/21/2007, 11:57 AM
Come on Mr. Jones. Go Sooners!!!

SOONER STEAKER
12/21/2007, 02:46 PM
It would be really nice to get this bigtime WR. After listening to the radio interview, it sounds like we have a chance, and that's all we want is a chance.

Bob Barry Sr. "Julio Jones down the sidelines, he has two men to beat, he turns on the after burners. TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!"

tommieharris91
12/21/2007, 03:03 PM
It would be really nice to get this bigtime WR. After listening to the radio interview, it sounds like we have a chance, and that's all we want is a chance.

Bob Barry Sr. "Kelly down the sidelines, he has two men to beat, he turns on the after burners. TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!"
Fixed.

Widescreen
12/21/2007, 03:36 PM

Bob Barry Sr. "Julio Iglesias down the sidelines, he has two men to beat, he turns on the after burners. TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!"
Fixed again.

SOONER STEAKER
12/21/2007, 04:56 PM
Why fix it? It sounded better with Julio Jones scoring for OKLAHOMA.

Desert Sapper
12/21/2007, 09:09 PM
Why fix it? It sounded better with Julio Jones scoring for OKLAHOMA.

I think it would be awesome if we could see ALL THREE of them in one game. And Jameel Owens. Think what Sam could do with that firepower at his disposal.

SOONER STEAKER
12/21/2007, 09:17 PM
I think it would be awesome if we could see ALL THREE of them in one game. And Jameel Owens. Think what Sam could do with that firepower at his disposal.

That would be more than awesome. It would be scrumdealicious. Is that a word. :texan:

KingDavid
12/21/2007, 10:59 PM
If Kelly stays (and my gut says he will), and we get Jones or Owens, our talent & depth at the skill positions is going to be incredible.

Slot: Iglesias, Johnson, Broyles (who is really exciting I hear)
WR: Kelly, Jones, Owens, Tennell
TE: Gresham, Eldridge
FB: Eldridge, Clapp (returns after RS)
RB: Murray, Brown, Calhoun

And an offensive line returning not just the entire starting line-up, but all of the key back-ups, as well.

And then of course, you have the nation's #1 rated QB returning.

All that brings me back to my first point: Kelly will stay. And above are some of the main reasons why.

(Editor's comment, 11-12-08: Writer of this post recently confessed that he's prone to a common homer disorder called wishful thinking.)

SOONER STEAKER
12/21/2007, 11:56 PM
If Kelly stays (and my gut says he will), and we get Jones or Owens, our talent & depth at the skill positions is going to be incredible.

Slot: Iglesias, Johnson, Broyles (who is really exciting I hear)
WR: Kelly, Jones, Owens, Tennell
TE: Gresham, Eldridge
FB: Eldridge, Clapp (returns after RS)
RB: Murray, Brown, Calhoun

And an offensive line returning not just the entire starting line-up, but all of the key back-ups, as well.

And then of course, you have the nation's #1 rated QB returning.

All that brings me back to my first point: Kelly will stay. And above are some of the main reasons why.

Kelly should, & needs to stay so we can be the bestest damn team in the nation next year!!

Can I get a BOOMER?

Spanish Sooner
12/22/2007, 12:19 AM
SOONER

Desert Sapper
1/12/2008, 12:27 PM
With Malcolm going to the league, are our chances now improved with Mr. Jones? I'd have to think the prospect of catching Sam's passes as early as this coming season would have to be a huge factor.

KingDavid
1/12/2008, 12:45 PM
:pop: I would think it would improve our chances, as well. We'll see . . .

oudivesherpa
1/22/2008, 04:26 PM
Any word on the outcome of his visit last weekend?

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 04:35 PM
Reportedly:

Did not socialize with other recruits at the dinner.
Left the basketball game 10 minutes before the half.
Refused to wear some kind of t-shirt they gave him.
Left Gainesville early.

I don't think we have to worry about Florida.

KingDavid
1/22/2008, 10:08 PM
Reportedly:

Did not socialize with other recruits at the dinner.
Left the basketball game 10 minutes before the half.
Refused to wear some kind of t-shirt they gave him.
Left Gainesville early.

I don't think we have to worry about Florida.

nice. not thrilled that Burton Scott is joining Jones this weekend. Methinks his intentions are not so pure.

Desert Sapper
1/23/2008, 07:44 AM
nice. not thrilled that Burton Scott is joining Jones this weekend. Methinks his intentions are not so pure.

Let's bring Scott to Norman, too. I think he projects as a corner in college. If so, Reggie's departure might have peaked his interest. We could certainly use some corner prospects in this class.

At best, he is a soft commit to Bama.

KingDavid
1/23/2008, 01:45 PM
Let's bring Scott to Norman, too. I think he projects as a corner in college. If so, Reggie's departure might have peaked his interest. We could certainly use some corner prospects in this class.

At best, he is a soft commit to Bama.

I dunno. Some of the stuff I read makes him look a little more firm & potentially sneaky.

I'm just paranoid. I guess if I were a Bama fan, I'd be more nervous about him going than staying home - especially with our situation in the defensive backfield.

abc123pickle
1/24/2008, 08:36 AM
here is another way you could look at this situation,http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68667, Julio Jones does not get persuaded by a kid his own age, but maybe Julio is the one doing the recruiting

OU4LIFE
1/24/2008, 10:28 AM
I think he's Alabama's to lose.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/24/2008, 11:46 AM
Julio was sent home from his visit to Florida for trying to recruit players to OU.

soonerlaw
1/24/2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080123/NEWS/215197538/1090

Julio has left the building
A week ago, the Gators were feeling pretty good about their chances of landing Julio Jones, the nation's No. 1 wide receiver prospect from Foley, Ala. But the positive vibes quickly disappeared on his visit to Gainesville this past weekend.

Things were going so badly that the UF coaches told Jones to leave early.

Word is that Jones was trying to do some recruiting for Oklahoma during his stay in Gainesville. Jones visits Oklahoma this weekend, a good indication that maybe he's going to be a Sooner. Alabama has been considered the leader for Jones for quite some time, but it appears Bobby Stoops is going to pull this coveted prospect out of the state.

primetime43
1/24/2008, 12:09 PM
It almost sounds too good to be true.

CatfishSooner
1/24/2008, 12:23 PM
I like the sound of that...gotta like players that help recruit!

BillyBall
1/24/2008, 12:41 PM
This would be so unreal to go into Bama and get their best player... Awesome.

Theskipster
1/24/2008, 01:08 PM
http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/01/gainesville_sun_reporter_we_we.html

Well, this has been an interesting morning. It started with that article in the Gainesville Sun reporting on Julio Jones being asked to leave Florida early on his recruiting visit. It stated he had been recruiting for Oklahoma. (Cue pandemonium.)
Yikes!

Yet two phone calls later, I'm told that none of it is true. First, I called Todd Watson, Julio's high school coach at Foley.

"Ridiculous. Never happened," Watson told me. Watson recently spoke with Florida receivers coach Billy Gonzalez -- who is recruiting Julio -- and was told "everything went well."

Ok, then. Next, I called the reporter Robbie Andreu, a longtime UF beat reporter for the Gainesville Sun. Turns out, Robbie agreed with Watson's assessment:

"I was wrong, we were wrong," Andreu just told me. "My source turned out to be not right."

Andreu said he has since spoken with someone else at UF who informed him Julio did not leave early. "And he was not recruiting for Oklahoma," Robbie said.

BoulderSooner79
1/24/2008, 01:11 PM
It almost sounds too good to be true.

And if it sounds too good to be true ....

starrca23
1/24/2008, 01:21 PM
He didn't have a great visit at OU or UF, seems like he is still Bama's to lose.

Youngsooner
1/24/2008, 01:31 PM
Has he already been to OU?

Frozen Sooner
1/24/2008, 01:40 PM
He didn't have a great visit at OU or UF, seems like he is still Bama's to lose.

He had a bad visit at OU in the future? Jones visits this weekend. He's also paid his own way on an unofficial.

Collier11
1/24/2008, 01:47 PM
He had a bad visit at OU in the future?

man, he is fassstttt!

BillyBall
1/24/2008, 02:24 PM

I think you mean FSU or UF.

starrca23
1/24/2008, 02:30 PM
Sorry, Every time I think of FSU I think of 13-2...still, seems like he is still Bama's to loose...

jccouger
1/24/2008, 03:18 PM
Darn, that would have been good news. Oh well, we are still in the running for him. Probably 2nd right now behind Bama, but I'm just talking out of my *** so don't take anything what I have to say worth anything.

Desert Sapper
1/24/2008, 04:42 PM
If Julio passes up on the opportunity to catch passes from Sam (standing behind a fully Senior Soonerlayas Mountain range), that'd be his own fault.

Rhino
1/25/2008, 12:13 AM
He didn't have a great visit at OU or UF, seems like he is still Bama's to lose. Which of his handful of unofficial visits to OU did he not have a great visit at?

And like others have said, he hasn't had his official visit yet.

CapstoneGrad06
1/25/2008, 10:35 AM
How do you guys feel about two 'Bama committments joining Julio in Norman?

soonerboy_odanorth
1/25/2008, 10:59 AM
How do you guys feel about two 'Bama committments joining Julio in Norman?

My interpretation would be good for you guys and not so much for us.... with the caveat that those verbals are very solid, and not soft. But, you never can tell what's in a kid's heart or what's on his mind untill he gives you full disclosure... and even then sometimes not.

I've always thought it would be pretty monumental upset to get the young man out of Alabama or the SEC.

But at this point I think both our schools have put together monster classes as it is. Losing Julio isn't going to break either one of us. He would just be.... the capstone, shall we say. ;)

CapstoneGrad06
1/25/2008, 11:17 AM
My interpretation would be good for you guys and not so much for us.... with the caveat that those verbals are very solid, and not soft. But, you never can tell what's in a kid's heart or what's on his mind untill he gives you full disclosure... and even then sometimes not.

I've always thought it would be pretty monumental upset to get the young man out of Alabama or the SEC.

But at this point I think both our schools have put together monster classes as it is. Losing Julio isn't going to break either one of us. He would just be.... the capstone, shall we say. ;)

The thing is, no one has been able to really read Julio all year long. If he doesn't end up at Alabama it won't be the end of the world, but I sure will be a little sad on signing day. I think most 'Bama fans, like myself, want Julio really bad, not just because he's one of best in the country, but because he's from south Alabama, where we have slipped in recent years in terms of recruiting. We've completely dominated there this year, but losing Julio would be too much for most of us. But if he chooses OU, he'll have a great career anyway. Plus, he'll be wearing Crimson one way or the other.

OU-HSV
1/25/2008, 06:05 PM
come on Julio

KingDavid
1/25/2008, 09:05 PM
he'll be wearing Crimson one way or the other.

True. I like that. Come on, Julio.

setem
1/25/2008, 09:37 PM
I know a few girls who might help him make up his mind! Blue Chips style!!!

Nothing like them white girls!!!

I can here it now at the games...Julio Jones for the touchdown....

Crowd: Ju...Li...OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 09:40 PM
I can only hope that the band director would figure out that playing "Me and Julio" after he scores would be cool.

Purple Tiger
1/25/2008, 11:47 PM
Bama football is light years ahead of Okie football. Check rivals and scouts rankings last ten years.Check number of Div 1 signees each year by each state. Will OU sign 5 instate kids this year? 5 to 8 is their average.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/26/2008, 07:08 AM
I say he is better by watching both of their highlight video(s). I quess Rivals and Scout think the same, thats why he's ranked so high. so thats why I think he's better and I have no idea who's high school football is better.

Duh.........wasnt football invinted in TX. TX high school football is where its at.......

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/26/2008, 07:23 AM
Bama football is light years ahead of Okie football. Check rivals and scouts rankings last ten years.Check number of Div 1 signees each year by each state. Will OU sign 5 instate kids this year? 5 to 8 is their average.
Why do we want Ok talent when we can just go south and hand pick the superstars from TX, so long as the coaching carosel is going on @ aTm, and Mack is at UT, where do you wanna play.........BOOMER!!!!

OU_Sooners75
1/26/2008, 08:09 AM

bama HS football is not necessarily better than Oklahoma HS football.

They are about the same.

The difference is, OU is able to pull more talent out of Georgia, Texas, and Louisiana than Oklahoma or Alabama.

insuranceman_22
1/26/2008, 10:14 AM
bama HS football is not necessarily better than Oklahoma HS football.

They are about the same.

The difference is, OU is able to pull more talent out of Georgia, Texas, and Louisiana than Oklahoma or Alabama.

I think on average they are probably about the same, however Bama does produce more 5 star athletes out of it's high school ranks. But if you take Bama's best team and match them against Union/Jenks I think you'll have a good game. The style and teams would be competitive between the states, but they do seem to have a few more of the elite "rated" athlete's.

Now as far as elite rated.....How many stars did Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Jason White ....... and a few more have? Those are 3 Oklahoma kids, three college all-american's, a heisman winner & two butkus winners.......that's my take on the ratings (they ain't always right)

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 10:40 AM
I think on average they are probably about the same, however Bama does produce more 5 star athletes out of it's high school ranks. But if you take Bama's best team and match them against Union/Jenks I think you'll have a good game. The style and teams would be competitive between the states, but they do seem to have a few more of the elite "rated" athlete's.

Now as far as elite rated.....How many stars did Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Jason White ....... and a few more have? Those are 3 Oklahoma kids, three college all-american's, a heisman winner & two butkus winners.......that's my take on the ratings (they ain't always right)
Umm, not to bring down my home state here. But Hoover Alabama and Union recently played and Hoover kicked their asses 34-7.
So maybe that's not a good argument. But I bet you from top to bottom, Oklahoma and Alabama high schools would be really competitive

Collier11
1/26/2008, 11:01 AM
Umm, not to bring down my home state here. But Hoover Alabama and Union recently played and Hoover kicked their asses 34-7.
So maybe that's not a good argument. But I bet you from top to bottom, Oklahoma and Alabama high schools would be really competitive

that was also the worst Union team in a Decade and Hoover was on their streak of title teams

Desert Sapper
1/26/2008, 01:47 PM

OU recruits nationally.

Texas Tech, Okie State, Tulsa, and Kansas all recruit the Sooner state pretty heavily. Texas A&M is also battling for Oklahoma talent. If you have a breakdown with facts, maybe somebody will listen to your ramblings.

Just saying 'Bama football is light years ahead of Okie football' is fallacious. The talent level is slightly higher at some schools, slightly lower at others. It's highschool ball. It's not like Bama is running the spread or the West Coast, or that their Ds are much more complicated. They run high school offenses and defenses with high school players. Meaning they run the ball and play to stop the run. Occasionally throwing the ball.

Now California, Florida, and Texas ball? That's a different story. Some of those schools run complex pro offenses and defenses. But not in Bama. I'm sorry.

Why are you still here?

illinisooner
1/26/2008, 02:00 PM
There's a house on Lindsey with some big signs saying "We Want Julio"...hopefully he sees that while he's here this weekend. And hopefully that's not some random NCAA violation.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2008, 02:16 PM
There's a house on Lindsey with some big signs saying "We Want Julio"...hopefully he sees that while he's here this weekend. And hopefully that's not some random NCAA violation.

Not unless the billboard that Gundy used to get Richetti Jones was.

Watch Me Stride
1/26/2008, 07:58 PM
if anyone heres anything on how his visit went let us know please

Scott D
1/26/2008, 09:38 PM
why do you people play Purple Tiger's game. He only posts in threads where he can take shots about where OU recruits come from and not being 90% in state recruits.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2008, 09:46 PM
If nobody ever refuted him, people would start to buy into his BS.

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 10:14 PM
that was also the worst Union team in a Decade and Hoover was on their streak of title teams
True, but they still embarassed Union at Union's house. Union had a 57 game home winning streak to that point.
A recap of that '06 season: Union lost to Jenks only 9 to 6 in the regular season...and to a damn good Muskogee team they only lost 21-7 and then by 2 points in the playoffs. And Muskogee lost to Jenks 52 to 35 in the semis of the playoffs. And remember that Jenks went on to win the state championship that year. So, after 3 losses in a row to open the season, Union dominated all their opponents for 7 straight games after that. Including the team that played Jenks in the 6A champ game that year.
Therefore, I stand by my statement/opinion that Hoover beat one of our most competitive 6A football teams. Down year or not, Union was still a very solid/competitive team that season.
The bad thing is I'm a former B.A. player and still a big B.A. fan...and we haven't beat those f*ckers in a long long long time.

Fraggle145
1/26/2008, 10:38 PM
True, but they still embarassed Union at Union's house. Union had a 57 game home winning streak to that point.
A recap of that '06 season: Union lost to Jenks only 9 to 6 in the regular season...and to a damn good Muskogee team they only lost 21-7 and then by 2 points in the playoffs. And Muskogee lost to Jenks 52 to 35 in the semis of the playoffs. And remember that Jenks went on to win the state championship that year. So, after 3 losses in a row to open the season, Union dominated all their opponents for 7 straight games after that. Including the team that played Jenks in the 6A champ game that year.
Therefore, I stand by my statement/opinion that Hoover beat one of our most competitive 6A football teams. Down year or not, Union was still a very solid/competitive team that season.
The bad thing is I'm a former B.A. player and still a big B.A. fan...and we haven't beat those f*ckers in a long long long time.

But that game was their first witha new coach and a new system if i remember right... and it was the friggin Wing T. Just sayin.

OU-HSV
1/27/2008, 12:21 AM
But that game was their first witha new coach and a new system if i remember right... and it was the friggin Wing T. Just sayin.
True, but still

insuranceman_22
1/27/2008, 03:21 AM
Ok, ok enough about Union & Hoover. So Hoover was the largest of the "4" losses by Union that year.........new coach, down year........how bout they get together next year (if that's scheduled I sort of shot my foot, but...)

goingoneight
1/27/2008, 01:37 PM
First year HC, fired at season's end and one of the youngest and worst Union teams in recent memory. I say this as someone who doesn't particularly care for the Redskins.

KingDavid
1/27/2008, 01:37 PM
All this nervous energy while waiting for news about Jones, and now we've been thread-jacked by this high school football debate. NTTAWWT.

Still . . . Jones news, anyone?

Newbomb Turk
1/27/2008, 02:39 PM
word on another board is that he is going to be at the ladies basketball game vs. Georgia today.

Watch Me Stride
1/27/2008, 03:27 PM
word on another board is that he is going to be at the ladies basketball game vs. Georgia today.

Which board?

Newbomb Turk
1/27/2008, 03:29 PM
ouinsider.

Watch Me Stride
1/27/2008, 03:40 PM
Did it say how is visit was going so far?

Newbomb Turk
1/27/2008, 03:50 PM
not much info - it was on the free board.

KingDavid
1/27/2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks.

SOONER STEAKER
1/27/2008, 07:10 PM
Watched the game, didn't see him on TV grabbing a Jenna Plumley pass.

Frozen Sooner
1/27/2008, 07:17 PM
I posted a picture of Jay Norvell, Julio Jones, and Robert Lester at the game on the official game thread.

Watch Me Stride
1/27/2008, 07:26 PM
I posted a picture of Jay Norvell, Julio Jones, and Robert Lester at the game on the official game thread.

Shouldn't Manny be with them?

snp
1/27/2008, 07:37 PM
Heard him and Lester were partying at my old frat house with Sam Bradford last night. Seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Watch Me Stride
1/27/2008, 07:51 PM
Heard him and Lester were partying at my old frat house with Sam Bradford last night. Seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Good news

OU-HSV
1/27/2008, 08:42 PM
First year HC, fired at season's end and one of the youngest and worst Union teams in recent memory. I say this as someone who doesn't particularly care for the Redskins.
Well, I posted what I said as someone with hatred for Union. So it really took a lot for me to say that.
Look, IMO it's like this...it's easy for everyone to say Union sucked that year and they had a new coach at the time, blah blah..to give them an out against Hoover. HOWEVER, what I said makes plenty of sense and I made valid points. They were simply still a very competitive team with the best teams in Oklahoma that season......even though they were on a down year. So I'm saying that Hoover still beat a very competitive Union team that year...and beat them bad. I mean if you look at the results of Oklahoma 6A football that season, can we honestly say that Hoover would've lost to Jenks or Muskogee or Enid. I think not.

OU-HSV
1/27/2008, 08:44 PM
All this nervous energy while waiting for news about Jones, and now we've been thread-jacked by this high school football debate. NTTAWWT.

Still . . . Jones news, anyone?
Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack, just trying to give some perspective in the high school debate dealio that the others brought up.
Sounds like good news so far about Julio's visit!

SOONER STEAKER
1/27/2008, 09:03 PM
Saw the pic, can't really tell the size of the kids though. AS Imus would say, "That's some nappy hair dudes." :D

Collier11
1/27/2008, 09:39 PM
Well, I posted what I said as someone with hatred for Union. So it really took a lot for me to say that.
Look, IMO it's like this...it's easy for everyone to say Union sucked that year and they had a new coach at the time, blah blah..to give them an out against Hoover. HOWEVER, what I said makes plenty of sense and I made valid points. They were simply still a very competitive team with the best teams in Oklahoma that season......even though they were on a down year. So I'm saying that Hoover still beat a very competitive Union team that year...and beat them bad. I mean if you look at the results of Oklahoma 6A football that season, can we honestly say that Hoover would've lost to Jenks or Muskogee or Enid. I think not.

6A was somewhat down that year for Oklahoma and im not saying that because one of our traditional powerhouses got blasted, but that Hoover team was top 5 in the nation. Also, I remember several times when Jenks and Union played out of state teams in the past 5 years and won.

KingDavid
1/27/2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to thread jack, just trying to give some perspective in the high school debate dealio that the others brought up.
Sounds like good news so far about Julio's visit!

no worries. gotta do something to kill off this nervous energy.

Would Jones be the highest ranked WR recruit we've ever reeled in?

abc123pickle
1/27/2008, 11:50 PM
I would guess yes on that...and for a question of my own, if we truly only have 2 scholarships left it seems we have one for Julio Jones no matter what but with the different possibilities of the d-backs we could bring in(L.Harris,X.Avery,R.Lester,etc..)who do you think will fill out our final spots?

CORNholio
1/28/2008, 04:02 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes Alabama is where the bear invented foozball, so by all means they are "light years" ahead of the state that produced Troy Aikman, Jason White, Felix Jones, Jeremy Shockey, etc, (just as many as the "mecca of football" that is alabamer).

By the way bammer has 2xs the population as Okla but OK outperforms bammer per capita.

cheezyq
1/28/2008, 09:12 AM

Yes Alabama is where the bear invented foozball, so by all means they are "light years" ahead of the state that produced Troy Aikman, Jason White, Felix Jones, Jeremy Shockey, etc, (just as many as the "mecca of football" that is alabamer).

By the way bammer has 2xs the population as Okla but OK outperforms bammer per capita.

I agree. And on top of that, Bammy has 2 teams that play big-time football, whereas the state of Oklahoma only has one....well, 1 and 1/2 if you include Tulsa. :D

KingDavid
1/28/2008, 10:38 AM
I agree. And on top of that, Bammy has 2 teams that play big-time football, whereas the state of Oklahoma only has one....well, 1 and 1/2 if you include Tulsa. :D

You were right the first time - it's really only one because OSU cancels out Tulsa's half.

sooner518
1/28/2008, 11:56 AM
I found the thread but it looks like the picture is gone. any ideas?

Watch Me Stride
1/28/2008, 12:16 PM
on rivals theres a new article titled julio finally speaks....anybody got a clue what he said

Collier11
1/28/2008, 12:20 PM
on rivals theres a new article titled julio finally speaks....anybody got a clue what he said

why would I go to bama with a bunch of nothing at Qb when I have All American Sam waiting for me and my boy Landry in the wings???

Ardmore_Sooner
1/28/2008, 12:30 PM
Don't get excited about what THEY said. It was mostly how similar OU and Alabama are. How they liked Jermaine and Madu. Not really and eye popping information.

The only thing that was nice was commenting on how similar Foley and Norman are.

sitzpinkler
1/28/2008, 12:42 PM

Oklahoma - 3.5 million

Alabama - 4.5 million

your math is a bit off

KingDavid
1/28/2008, 01:52 PM

not much, really. probably the most significant thing they said (Julio & Lester) was that Norman reminded them of Alabama in its small town feel.

they had a good time. Gresham apparently made a good impression on both of them.

btw, methinks that Julio is now tying up not just one scholly, but two: one for himself, and one for Lester. I get the feeling they might be a package deal.

Let's just be glad that Lester is a stud 4 star DB and that's where we're thin.

i watched some more footage of Julio on Rivals and this kid is an absolute monster, a complete beast of a WR. Reminds me of how AD looked amongst his peers at Palestine: a large man amongst small boys.

OUrules
1/28/2008, 03:29 PM
Dang....nobody knows anything on how the visit went?

KingDavid
1/28/2008, 03:31 PM
Dang....nobody knows anything on how the visit went?

That's not true at all. I'd venture a guess that Julio Jones has a pretty good idea how it went.

The problem is HE'S NOT SAYING MUCH.

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2008, 04:00 PM
Don't worry, Jones and Lester will be wearing Crimson and Cream next year.

RedStripe
1/28/2008, 04:17 PM
His recruitment (to me) is simular to Meachum's. Except Julio has not told the bama coaches he is coming. He is playing it very close to vest and no one will know until signing day.

birddog
1/28/2008, 05:17 PM
i wouldn't get my hopes up about these guys. we've got some damn fine receivers comng in whether julio comes or not. i just don't think we'll be able to get them to leave bammer.

abc123pickle
1/28/2008, 07:11 PM
I am getting my hopes up no doubt.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/28/2008, 07:55 PM

That's a bold statement.

Wanna bet?

Desert Sapper
1/28/2008, 08:03 PM

Sort of a given with their two school choices coming down to OU and Bama, right?

OUFan22
1/28/2008, 09:57 PM
Sort of a given with their two school choices coming down to OU and Bama, right?
Not really, OU is crimson and cream; whereas Alabama is crimson and WHITE.

KingDavid
1/28/2008, 11:39 PM
i wouldn't get my hopes up about these guys. we've got some damn fine receivers comng in whether julio comes or not. i just don't think we'll be able to get them to leave bammer.

I agree. These are the words of reason.

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2008, 11:48 PM

I think it is actually down to OU and FSU. But yes Bama is still in the mix.

The Consumate Showman
1/29/2008, 12:23 AM
Julio announces at his high school.

I think we need not get our hopes up with Jones.

It is extremely difficult to bring a 5 star world class athlete out of Bama to another school other than an SEC school.

I am expecting a Bama announcement, and, if for some reason he announces for us, I will be overly joyed and excited.

But, as others have mentioned here, if we can hold onto to Jarboe...with JO and Miller, we have an out-of-this world WR recruiting class this year.

I think we should all be extremely pleased with this year's class and rejoice in it to our heart's content.

This may prove to be one of the best, if not the best, recruiting classes Bob and Co. have ever put together.

Sooner_Havok
1/29/2008, 12:23 AM
If we get him cool, if not, we really don't need him

Ryan Broyles
Juaquin Iglesias
Manuel Johnson
Adron Tennell
Dejuan Miller
Josh Jarboe
Jameel Owens

We won't be hurting without him

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2008, 12:51 AM

Four, actualy. UAB and Troy are both better programs than OSU.

snp
1/29/2008, 01:48 AM
Four, actualy. UAB and Troy are both better programs than OSU.

Soon to be 5 (http://www.usajaguars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8300&ATCLID=1349218)

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 04:33 AM
I think it is actually down to OU and FSU. But yes Bama is still in the mix.

If this is really the case, I like our odds. I still predict an Alabama commit for both JJ and Lester, whilst secretly burning a candle of hope that they'll become Sooners.

Julio! The picture could not be better for you anywhere in the country than right here in Norman. You know it. Do what's best for your future. You owe that to yourself and your family. Boomer Sooner!

soonerdave79
1/29/2008, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=The Consumate Showman]

If he was announcing from ESPN, I would say we have a good chance, Since he's announcing at school, I'd say he's most likely 'bama bound. If not, he should make his announcement from behind bulletproof glass with bodyguards present to escort him out of state.

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 12:24 PM
[quote=The Consumate Showman]

If he was announcing from ESPN, I would say we have a good chance, Since he's announcing at school, I'd say he's most likely 'bama bound. If not, he should make his announcement from behind bulletproof glass with bodyguards present to escort him out of state.

The clips on the college football area of ESPN.com say that Jones will be announcing on ESPN, along with Terrell Pryor and the top remaining CB recruit on the board (name escapes me).

Maybe he's announcing via a feed from his HS. I definitely agree that if he's announcing at his HS, then he's BAMA-bound, fo' sho'.

Where's the link saying he's going to announce at his HS?

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 12:29 PM
One other comment on him announcing at his HS (if that's what he is doing, in fact) that may still give us a shred of hope: we have to remember that this kid is very self-assured and confident. He hasn't pandered to the norms of the recruiting world throughout the whole process. If anyone would be the sort to announce at his high school and put on an OU hat, it'd definitely be him.

All that said, he's prolly headed to Bama and we've got a stud WR class, no matter what!

Collier11
1/29/2008, 12:38 PM
assumptions assumptions assumptions...lets just see what he does and hope he picks the right team for himself which is OU! ;)

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 12:44 PM
assumptions assumptions assumptions...lets just see what he does and hope he picks the right team for himself which is OU! ;)

damn straight.

but in the mean time, let's continue to work out all of this angst with ceaseless speculations about why he will or won't choose us. ;)

speaking of which, did anyone catch the color of Jones' shoes the other night at the game? if they were black (or had any black in them), then he's ours.:D

Collier11
1/29/2008, 01:22 PM
Seeing as how this guy doesnt like alot of attention anyways, maybe he is waiting because he doesnt want his hometown fans all over him for weeks when he commits to OU?!

RedStripe
1/29/2008, 01:24 PM
Meachum announced at his high school

Scott D
1/29/2008, 01:28 PM
Meachem had to wait until the check from Fulmer cleared.

soonerdave79
1/29/2008, 03:01 PM

I was just going off of what consumate said.

soonerdave79
1/29/2008, 03:13 PM
Meachum announced at his high school

I don't think there was as much pressure on Meachum to commit to us as 'bama fans are putting on Julio. I think we were doing alright at the time (2003 ?), whereas the 'bama fans are desperate to get back on the winning side and win championships number 27 & 28 . . .

The Consumate Showman
1/29/2008, 04:51 PM
[quote=soonerdave79]

The clips on the college football area of ESPN.com say that Jones will be announcing on ESPN, along with Terrell Pryor and the top remaining CB recruit on the board (name escapes me).

Maybe he's announcing via a feed from his HS. I definitely agree that if he's announcing at his HS, then he's BAMA-bound, fo' sho'.

No link. It's what I have been told he is going to do by someone I know that lives in Tide country.

Scott D
1/29/2008, 05:04 PM
on this 5th page for me, many of you lack quoting skills. :D

NorthernIowaSooner
1/29/2008, 06:01 PM
what do we do with the two scholarships should he say no, are there kids waiting to grab them knowing thats their chance to come here or is it gonna be something like getting jordan nix last year as a guy that was left over. i just dont want us to be putting all our eggs in one basket and then get screwed in the end if he doesnt come here

OU_Sooners75
1/29/2008, 06:36 PM
what do we do with the two scholarships should he say no, are there kids waiting to grab them knowing thats their chance to come here or is it gonna be something like getting jordan nix last year as a guy that was left over. i just dont want us to be putting all our eggs in one basket and then get screwed in the end if he doesnt come here

Maybe we are withholding two scholarships right now because the coaches know something about Jones and Lester?

Either way, we will be fine if they do choose Bama or FSU over us.

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 07:07 PM
[quote=KingDavid]

No link. It's what I have been told he is going to do by someone I know that lives in Tide country.

fair 'nough. thanks.

Spanish Sooner
1/29/2008, 10:15 PM
It looks like Julio will announce on signing day on ESPNU

http://newsok.com/article/3198605/1201645200

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 11:58 PM
It looks like Julio will announce on signing day on ESPNU

http://newsok.com/article/3198605/1201645200

he could be doing the announcement from a feed from his HS. showman, can u check this out with your bammer buddy?

The Consumate Showman
1/30/2008, 12:33 AM
he could be doing the announcement from a feed from his HS. showman, can u check this out with your bammer buddy?

Emailed him earlier today and he said that he was under the impression that Julio would announce at Foley High and an ESPNU crew would be there to cover him, BUT, after we exchanged emails a couple of times about specs, he finally said that he was not 100% sure and that Julio may indeed be going to that ESPN Zone thing that they have where they do all of their coverage of things like that , but he again said that he was pretty sure that Julio was going to do it at Foley. Hell, it's recruiting...who knows. We'll find out next Wed. for sure.

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 01:40 AM
Hell, it's recruiting...who knows. We'll find out next Wed. for sure.

That right there about sums it all up, folks.

Thanks for checking. The ambiguity of his reply gives my tiny candle of hope a slight glimmer of optimism.

Desert Sapper
1/30/2008, 07:42 AM
http://ssbea.mercer.edu/recruiting.htm

This mathematical formula created by three eggheads has him going to Bammer. Looks like we are fourth on the list (based on a formula with a proven accuracy in the 70% range). It's neat to look on the sheet and see where kids ended up, how we upset the computer on a couple (Ben Habern, Justin Johnson), and were upset on others (Lynn Katoa. Omarius Hines). Could be fun to see how JJ ends up knowing where he is supposed to go, statistically.

Julio Jones* (http://ssbea.mercer.edu/recruiting.htm#Astute)
Alabama
31.1%
Florida
22.5%
Florida State
20.1%
Oklahoma
16.8%
Texas Tech
9.6%

Neat SI article from a couple weeks about the whole affair: Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/01/23/recruiting.economics/index.html?eref=fromMySIScreenServer&distSource=2)

CatfishSooner
1/31/2008, 01:02 PM
Al said we wouldn't get him...

The Consumate Showman
1/31/2008, 01:49 PM

If this was 15 years ago or later, I would put some serious thought into that statement...now...not-so-much...

NS5
1/31/2008, 01:49 PM

Damn, Al is always right ! He has the hat to prove it...

Collier11
1/31/2008, 08:38 PM
OK, this is going to be rough til wednesday. There are now stories that Julio got into it with a Bama coach during a Conference call and his HS coach had to step in, this was on a LSU board and they arent in on him so what do you all think, more BS?

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=7045155

OU-HSV
1/31/2008, 08:57 PM
OK, this is going to be rough til wednesday. There are now stories that Julio got into it with a Bama coach during a Conference call and his HS coach had to step in, this was on a LSU board and they arent in on him so what do you all think, more BS?

Probably just more b.s. I'm not believing anything until he signs. Can't wait for next week to see what he does.

KingDavid
1/31/2008, 10:36 PM

I can't take it. I don't have it in me. This is killing me.

MojoRisen
2/1/2008, 10:21 AM
Julio come be an All American at OU - they won't know who to cover and that means more stats!

cjames317
2/1/2008, 11:05 AM
I haven't kept up with this guy. Is he that good? Sounds like he's got Randy Moss size and speed. If so, what does it mean that OUr program is even being considered by a receiver like that?

MojoRisen
2/1/2008, 11:13 AM
He is bigger than Moss already - not sure if he is near as good as Randy Moss but the guy has a lot of upside and is a great ath with good hands and speed. I think he is 6-4 215 with 4-4 speed right now - Vertical is way up there too like Moss.

Desert Sapper
2/1/2008, 12:00 PM
I don't know how fast Moss really is, but the buzz when he was coming out of HS in WV was under 4.3 seconds in the 40. Which is ridiculous for a 6-4 WR. Which is why everybody in the country wanted him until he got busted for weed, and assault and battery, and a few other things. FSU didn't want him (heh), but Marshall would take him in.

TMcGee86
2/1/2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe the check bounced.

heh.

BillyBall
2/1/2008, 12:19 PM
I just would love to have both a Juaquin and a Julio on the field at the same time. That may be a first...

KingDavid
2/1/2008, 01:21 PM
heh.

I almost missed that. Nice.

KingDavid
2/1/2008, 01:31 PM
I just would love to have both a Juaquin and a Julio on the field at the same time. That may be a first...

Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you the J-Train:

Julio Jones
Justin Johnson
Josh Jarboe
Juaquin Iglesias
Jameel Owens
Jermie Calhoun
Jermaine Gresham
Manual Johnson
deJuan Miller

who will all be receiving passes some day from Landry Jones.

Scott D
2/1/2008, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that at least one name on there will not be receiving passes from Landry Jones.

Desert Sapper
2/1/2008, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that at least one name on there will not be receiving passes from Landry Jones.

Unless he redshirts this year and gets a sixth year of eligibility. Hey, it could happen.;)

jccouger
2/1/2008, 02:35 PM
Have We had a bigger recruiting thread? I've never been more excited for a recruit to decide ever, and I feel retarded for doing so.

cjames317
2/1/2008, 03:24 PM
Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you the J-Train:

Julio Jones
Justin Johnson
Josh Jarboe
Juaquin Iglesias
Jameel Owens
Jermie Calhoun
Jermaine Gresham
Manual Johnson
deJuan Miller

who will all be receiving passes some day from Landry Jones.

Let's hope these big J's stay away from the small j's.

MojoRisen
2/1/2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know how fast Moss really is, but the buzz when he was coming out of HS in WV was under 4.3 seconds in the 40. Which is ridiculous for a 6-4 WR. Which is why everybody in the country wanted him until he got busted for weed, and assault and battery, and a few other things. FSU didn't want him (heh), but Marshall would take him in.

Marshall would take anybody - i hear he still runs a 4.4 now so I am sure he could have ran a 4.3 or sub 4.3 8 pounds of weed and 10 years ago.

goss8572
2/1/2008, 04:48 PM
Julio, Julio
Please pick your schoolio
Don't be a foolio
Come to OU-lio!

snp
2/1/2008, 05:19 PM

Moss originally committed to ND but after that fight Holtz released him and recommended him to Bowden. He made it to campus but then pulled off the impossible feat of getting kicked out of FSU due to discipline reasons. That's probably his most amazing feat as of yet.

Scott D
2/1/2008, 05:20 PM
If I remember correctly the assault and battery charge was one that was pretty controversial in nature, and it got hinted at more than once that the charge was racially motivated.

KingDavid
2/1/2008, 08:22 PM
Moss originally committed to ND but after that fight Holtz released him and recommended him to Bowden. He made it to campus but then pulled off the impossible feat of getting kicked out of FSU due to discipline reasons. That's probably his most amazing feat as of yet.

very impressive, indeed.

tulsaoilerfan
2/1/2008, 09:26 PM
If I remember correctly the assault and battery charge was one that was pretty controversial in nature, and it got hinted at more than once that the charge was racially motivated.
I'm pretty sure you are correct on that Scott

Cam
2/1/2008, 09:42 PM
Wasn't that the bowling alley fight? If so, it seemed to be bogus.

KingDavid
2/1/2008, 10:29 PM
Julio, Julio
Please pick your schoolio
Don't be a foolio
Come to OU-lio!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice.:D

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 06:50 PM
FWIW....Julio and Robert Lester were both at the Bama/LSU basket ball game today.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/02/chants_of_julio_julio_julio.html

Newbomb Turk
2/2/2008, 06:52 PM
I have no hopes Julio ends up here. He's gonna wait till the last minute and go to Bama - and be a hero there - like he wants.

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 06:57 PM
I have no hopes Julio ends up here. He's gonna wait till the last minute and go to Bama - and be a hero there - like he wants.

I agree, it now seems highly unlikely. But, you never know. Stoops is a great closer, probably the only one out there as good(or possibly better) as Saban.

Btw, Burton Scott was also at the game with JJ and RL...

Frozen Sooner
2/2/2008, 07:12 PM
Meh. Going to a basketball game isn't a big worry. Then again, I like this kid no matter what he does. People have gotten shirty about his recruitment because he's not talking-me, I'm good with it. Nothing says he has to talk to people about it.

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 07:21 PM
Meh. Going to a basketball game isn't a big worry. Then again, I like this kid no matter what he does. People have gotten shirty about his recruitment because he's not talking-me, I'm good with it. Nothing says he has to talk to people about it.

It isn't to me either, especially when you consider that this is by no means his first "unofficial" visit to our campus. He and friends have been known to come up quite frequently on the weekends. It's only about a 4 hr drive from Foley to Tuscaloosa.

I've said all along, if we don't get him, I hope that you guys do.

Frozen Sooner
2/2/2008, 07:26 PM
Heh. And of course, he's also paid his own way to Norman several times-including to the OU-Texas game. I'm pretty sure that Foley-Norman and Foley-Dallas are longer drives than Foley-Tuscaloosa.

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 08:05 PM
Heh. And of course, he's also paid his own way to Norman several times-including to the OU-Texas game. I'm pretty sure that Foley-Norman and Foley-Dallas are longer drives than Foley-Tuscaloosa.

From what I understand, he's being going out where you guys are at for years, mainly which can be attributed to the fact that he has an uncle that lives in OKC--which I think is really the random element in this recruiting war. He's no stranger to the OU program, that's for sure.

Collier11
2/2/2008, 09:34 PM
My view is that I expect him to go to Bama but if he goes to OU he may be bringing someone with him and we could end up with a top 3 class if that happens. Either way, Coach Stoops and staff have put together a hell of a class following 2 straight disappointing bowl losses

Sabanball
2/2/2008, 10:11 PM
My view is that I expect him to go to Bama but if he goes to OU he may be bringing someone with him and we could end up with a top 3 class if that happens. Either way, Coach Stoops and staff have put together a hell of a class following 2 straight disappointing bowl losses

I agree. Wherever he goes, whether its to Tuscaloosa or Norman, I think there will be a coattail effect. He's his own man, but I think others could be swayed to follow him, i.e. Robert Lester and Burton Scott.

KingDavid
2/3/2008, 12:58 AM
I agree. Wherever he goes, whether its to Tuscaloosa or Norman, I think there will be a coattail effect. He's his own man, but I think others could be swayed to follow him, i.e. Robert Lester and Burton Scott.

I could eat my words, but I don't see Lester and Scott going anywhere except to Bama. There's no way all three of those guys give the heisman to the in-state team with the most tradition.

Think about it. That would have been like McCoy, Gresham, and Franks all bolting for USC.

Not gonna happen.

Our best bet is that JJ pulls a Meachum on his home state because he knows this is the best fit for him to showcase his skillz to the nation.

Julio. Come get a ring with the Sooners, man. Don't let the ripTide suck you out to sea.

goingoneight
2/3/2008, 01:53 AM
I'd like for us to get this guy since we're so high on him, but if there's one program I don't mind seeing great talent at besides OU, it's Alabama.

Desert Sapper
2/3/2008, 09:33 AM
The only thing I don't like about Bama is Saban. Although I don't see any team in the NFL deserving loyalty, I think the way he went about leaving for Bama was ethically questionable (very much like Petrino's move to Arkansas or Rich Rod's jump to Meatchicken). Much as I think Saban will get the Tide rolling, I question his means of getting there, considering the lies he has already spewed. A kid needs to take these things into consideration, as well. Stoops has a proven ethical track record and he isn't going anywhere.

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 10:49 AM
The only thing I don't like about Bama is Saban. Although I don't see any team in the NFL deserving loyalty, I think the way he went about leaving for Bama was ethically questionable (very much like Petrino's move to Arkansas or Rich Rod's jump to Meatchicken). Much as I think Saban will get the Tide rolling, I question his means of getting there, considering the lies he has already spewed. A kid needs to take these things into consideration, as well. Stoops has a proven ethical track record and he isn't going anywhere.

Well, you're definitely in agreement with the ESPN/major sports media in this country--they all hate Saban with a vengeance for the same reason. Even over a year after the fact, the talking heads on ESPN still cannot let it go. I think he definitely could have handled his departure from Miami better, and he himself has publicly admitted that. He's horrible with the media, even now up to this day in the way he conducts press conferences with Alabama beat reporters. That part I will definitely agree with you on, and I don't like it. But, 'ethically questionable' because he broke a contract, I would have to respectfully disagree. That goes on all the time and that's why contracts have provisions in them(like buyouts) in case one party wants to terminate the contract early. And if I could count the times that I have heard all coaches say,"I love it hear, I am not going anywhere, I have no interest in another job, I have never spoken to (another program/team) about a job", blah, blah, etc...I would still be counting. That kind of thing goes on everywhere all the time. That's just typical 'coachspeak'.

I agree with you about Stoops. Only Pete Carroll may be a better all around coach and recruiter, IMO. We're slowly trying to get our program back to the same level where you guys are at and that's why we finally opened up the checkbook and hired Nick. You guys wandered in the wilderness for quite a while back in the nineties and went through a few coaches, but finally got the right man and have never looked back. We're trying to do the same thing. Hopefully Saban can get us back to the mountaintop. IF this year's recruiting is any indication, I would say we're headed in the right direction. We didn't hire him to play nice with the media--we hired him to win football games.

BillyBall
2/3/2008, 11:08 AM
Well, you're definitely in agreement with the ESPN/major sports media in this country--they all hate Saban with a vengeance for the same reason. Even over a year after the fact, the talking heads on ESPN still cannot let it go. I think he definitely could have handled his departure from Miami better, and he himself has publicly admitted that. He's horrible with the media, even now up to this day in the way he conducts press conferences with Alabama beat reporters. That part I will definitely agree with you on, and I don't like it. But, 'ethically questionable' because he broke a contract, I would have to respectfully disagree. That goes on all the time and that's why contracts have provisions in them(like buyouts) in case one party wants to terminate the contract early. And if I could count the times that I have heard all coaches say,"I love it hear, I am not going anywhere, I have no interest in another job, I have never spoken to (another program/team) about a job", blah, blah, etc...I would still be counting. That kind of thing goes on everywhere all the time. That's just typical 'coachspeak'.

I agree with you about Stoops. Only Pete Carroll may be a better all around coach and recruiter, IMO. We're slowly trying to get our program back to the same level where you guys are at and that's why we finally opened up the checkbook and hired Nick. You guys wandered in the wilderness for quite a while back in the nineties and went through a few coaches, but finally got the right man and have never looked back. We're trying to do the same thing. Hopefully Saban can get us back to the mountaintop. IF this year's recruiting is any indication, I would say we're headed in the right direction. We didn't hire him to play nice with the media--we hired him to win football games.

Just dont be shocked if he jumps ship in a few years for a larger paycheck. He has a track record...

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 11:30 AM
Just dont be shocked if he jumps ship in a few years for a larger paycheck. He has a track record...

I won't be. Personally, I doubt very seriously that he will stay the full 8 yrs of his contract. If he just stays 4-5 yrs, and gets 3-4 good recruiting classes in the pipeline, then I think that would be long enough to get our program built back up to the point where it needs to be. He only spent 5yrs at LSU and they are still reaping the benefits of his time there. But, if he wants to leave, I say let him go. By the way, who else would want Nick Saban right now anyway? Nobody, if you listen to the media.;) We'll get someone else. As good as our two coaches are, our programs are bigger than both Saban or Stoops and they will go on after both have left.

BillyBall
2/3/2008, 12:46 PM
As good as our two coaches are, our programs are bigger than both Saban or Stoops and they will go on after both have left.

Spek

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 01:00 PM
Spek

Huh?

shulaball
2/3/2008, 01:12 PM
Huh?

as in "respect" to your statement...

Buckwheat
2/3/2008, 02:53 PM

Saban's exit from Miami after completing two seasons doesn't begin to compare to Petrino's jilting of Atlanta with 3 games left in his first season.

Desert Sapper
2/3/2008, 03:54 PM
Saban's exit from Miami after completing two seasons doesn't begin to compare to Petrino's jilting of Atlanta with 3 games left in his first season.

You just compared the two.

As for Nick's ability to build programs, I agree. He has been doing so everywhere he goes. MSU was a dump. He created something there. LSU was in the dump. He made it a success and won a national title. He will probably do the same for Bama. I just don't like him and think he has questionable character. I agree that Bama is a much bigger program than Saban. I just don't like the things he has done. I think kids need to think about that, too.

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 08:30 PM
You just compared the two.

As for Nick's ability to build programs, I agree. He has been doing so everywhere he goes. MSU was a dump. He created something there. LSU was in the dump. He made it a success and won a national title. He will probably do the same for Bama. I just don't like him and think he has questionable character. I agree that Bama is a much bigger program than Saban. I just don't like the things he has done. I think kids need to think about that, too.

I personally tend to agree with you, but I'd say you and I are probably in the minority when it comes to putting ethics/character above winning. Take your own King Barry--I certainly don't need to tell you how challenged this man was when it came to character and staying within the rules. But the man was also one helluva football coach and has three NC rings to prove it, and a winning percentage that still ranks as one of the all time best. The old adage "Just win, baby", I think, aptly describes the majority of both of our respective fans. Character is important, but let's be honest--as long as these guys win ball games and compete for championships on every level on a consistent basis, that's all that matters to the hardcore fan base--whether that's right or ethical is another thing.

insuranceman_22
2/3/2008, 09:12 PM
sabanball......you be skating on thin ice right there. The King don't get a bad wrap round here! All the same, I do understand your point.

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2008, 10:26 PM

Petrino was gone either way. If he stays 3 more games, I guess the fans at least get the satisfaction of seeing him get sacked. He was smart to take something else while it was still available.

Sabanball
2/3/2008, 11:00 PM
sabanball......you be skating on thin ice right there. The King don't get a bad wrap round here! All the same, I do understand your point.

You're preaching to the choir. I grew up as a huge OU fan. I was raised in NE Oklahoma. I didn't like a lot of what Switzer did(and it ultimately led to his downfall), but I overlooked it because he was a WINNER and did what any OU coach had to do at the time to be successful--beat Texas and Nebraska on a consistent basis. He did both and won three NC's to boot.

Desert Sapper
2/4/2008, 08:09 AM
Switzer's biggest fault was that he trusted some kids a little too far, and he looked the other way a few too many times. If anything, it was Switz's loyalty that forced his downfall, not necessarily his lack of character. I think he really tried to do the right thing most of the time. He just didn't realize how out of control some of the kids in his program had gotten (and one in particular). There's a reason Joepa (who initially bought into the media nonsense about Switzer) came back and apologized to Switz and advocated his induction in the NCAA HOF.

OU_Sooners75
2/4/2008, 09:29 AM
What does page 12 have to do with Julio Jones?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/4/2008, 10:41 AM
What does page 12 have to do with Julio Jones?

Not a lot. I think the fact that there is 12 pages shows that we are really eager to find out and that it is a well kept secret and that prior to Wed anything else is pure speculation.

Dude is the real deal though. Whoever gets him..OU, Bama, ? is getting a big time player

RiddlerOK
2/4/2008, 12:18 PM
I hope I'm not jinxing our chances by chiming in but, I hope we do get Julio. He will cap one of the best classes OU has reeled in since 1975. :)

Sabanball
2/4/2008, 11:08 PM
. ISwitzer's biggest fault was that he trusted some kids a little too far, and he looked the other way a few too many timesf anything, it was Switz's loyalty that forced his downfall, not necessarily his lack of character. I think he really tried to do the right thing most of the time. He just didn't realize how out of control some of the kids in his program had gotten (and one in particular). There's a reason Joepa (who initially bought into the media nonsense about Switzer) came back and apologized to Switz and advocated his induction in the NCAA HOF.

Maybe, maybe not. But somehow I doubt that was his most serious fault. Something tells me that only the Good Lord and Barry himself know what fault that is, and I doubt either you or I know enough of the details going back 20 yrs now to know for sure 100% if it was truely ignorance and blind loyalty to players on his part or deception by design to determine what was at work back then in your program. For that reason I don't think we can intelligently argue it, but suffice it to say that OU had serious troubles with the NCAA on two occasions at least under his watch, and you guys paid dearly for it in the '90s, in my humble opinion.
Thank goodness after your failed experiment with Gibbs/Schnellie/Blake did you guys finally hire Bob and it has been katy bar the door ever since for Sooner football..I only hope we can come close to having the same result with Saban for our program--only time will tell.

Sorry to go off topic, moderators, but I wanted to respond to this and hope you don't mind...

Sooner_Havok
2/4/2008, 11:49 PM
Sorry to go off topic, moderators, but I wanted to respond to this and hope you don't mind...

They might :D

OU_Sooners75
2/5/2008, 04:18 AM
Not a lot. I think the fact that there is 12 pages shows that we are really eager to find out and that it is a well kept secret and that prior to Wed anything else is pure speculation.

Dude is the real deal though. Whoever gets him..OU, Bama, ? is getting a big time player

I honestly think it is between OU and FSU not Bama. But I do know Bama is still on his list.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if he signed with them (Bama). Even though it would probably be a big mistake to do so.

soonerfan28
2/5/2008, 03:10 PM
Hear are the stats from the 3 potential QB's that will be throwing to Julio next year.
COMP% YARDS TD INT
Drew Weatherford (Jr)
JP Wilson(Jr) 56 2846 18 12
Sam Bradford(Fr) 69.5 3121 36 8

I think its pretty clear even with the pressure he's going to get from Alabama fan at home that OU has the best shot at getting him. I keep hearing how good Star Jackson is going to be. He still hasn't proven anything yet. Bradford is going to be the best QB that Julio will play with and Julio will get 3 years with him.

SoonerStormchaser
2/5/2008, 03:15 PM
Dude, you left out Weatherford's stats!

soonerfan28
2/5/2008, 03:25 PM
Weatherford had 2049 yards 55% with 9 TD's and 3 Int's. I noticed that after I posted it.

SoonerStormchaser
2/5/2008, 03:35 PM
you know you can edit posts, right?

soonerfan28
2/5/2008, 03:35 PM
Alabama ranked 51st in sacks allowed while Oklahoma ranked 5th. It's going to be hard to get Julio the ball with JPW on his back.

oudivesherpa
2/5/2008, 04:53 PM
Hear are the stats from the 3 potential QB's that will be throwing to Julio next year.
COMP% YARDS TD INT
Drew Weatherford (Jr)
JP Wilson(Jr) 56 2846 18 12
Sam Bradford(Fr) 69.5 3121 36 8

I think its pretty clear even with the pressure he's going to get from Alabama fan at home that OU has the best shot at getting him. I keep hearing how good Star Jackson is going to be. He still hasn't proven anything yet. Bradford is going to be the best QB that Julio will play with and Julio will get 3 years with him.

You're expecting 18 year olds to make mature economic decisions, instead of "all my friends go there".

Collier11
2/5/2008, 05:00 PM
You're expecting 18 year olds to make mature economic decisions, instead of "all my friends go there".

Lofton did!

Sabanball
2/5/2008, 08:58 PM
I honestly think it is between OU and FSU not Bama. But I do know Bama is still on his list.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if he signed with them (Bama). Even though it would probably be a big mistake to do so.I would really like to know why you think that. What's your reasoning? Yes, we've been down as a program for the better part of a decade, but you guys were too before you starting getting impact players at the very end of the '90's and the beginning of this decade, along with a competent coach that had a clue. That's what it takes--isn't it? And I will just dismiss your comment about it being a mistake to sign with us. I think you guys are definitely in the hunt, but I really haven't seen anything or heard anything to make me even remotely think that he may end up in Tallahassee. Of course, I also thought the Pats would mop the floor with the Giants...lol

Seriously, whether Julio puts on an OU or Bama cap tomorrow at 1130, he's more than likely going to have a great collegiate career, be an immediate impact player, and be a part of a championship team. This guy simply has too much natural talent to be a bust. If you guys get him,I will be the first one over here to congratulate you all. Really, when you think about it, the kid can't go wrong going to play for either Bob or Nick. Both will get him to the next level, and he will have a great college experience either in Norman or T-town. But, in the end, I think the inner compass he has will point him to his home state school and keep him close to home. And, heck, lord only knows we need him more than you guys do....lol
Our two programs don't meet head to head like this very often on the recruiting trail, and I think that's why this thing with Julio has been fascinating to follow. It will all be over tomorrow but the cryin' and then all of us can start focusing on spring ball. As our teams stand right now, in closing I'll quote what Scott Hill said once when you guys played Nebraska as an underdog back in '76, "Lord,... please don't let the best team win..." Let Julio come home to 'Bama!!

RTR and Boomer Sooner!!

CatfishSooner
2/5/2008, 09:54 PM
[/B]I would really like to know why you think that. What's your reasoning? Yes, we've been down as a program for the better part of a decade, but you guys were too before you starting getting impact players at the very end of the '90's and the beginning of this decade, along with a competent coach that had a clue. That's what it takes--isn't it? And I will just dismiss your comment about it being a mistake to sign with us. I think you guys are definitely in the hunt, but I really haven't seen anything or heard anything to make me even remotely think that he may end up in Tallahassee. Of course, I also thought the Pats would mop the floor with the Giants...lol

Seriously, whether Julio puts on an OU or Bama cap tomorrow at 1130, he's more than likely going to have a great collegiate career, be an immediate impact player, and be a part of a championship team. This guy simply has too much natural talent to be a bust. If you guys get him,I will be the first one over here to congratulate you all. Really, when you think about it, the kid can't go wrong going to play for either Bob or Nick. Both will get him to the next level, and he will have a great college experience either in Norman or T-town. But, in the end, I think the inner compass he has will point him to his home state school and keep him close to home. And, heck, lord only knows we need him more than you guys do....lol
Our two programs don't meet head to head like this very often on the recruiting trail, and I think that's why this thing with Julio has been fascinating to follow. It will all be over tomorrow but the cryin' and then all of us can start focusing on spring ball. As our teams stand right now, in closing I'll quote what Scott Hill said once when you guys played Nebraska as an underdog back in '76, "Lord,... please don't let the best team win..." Let Julio come home to 'Bama!!

RTR and Boomer Sooner!!

You are a great example of why I like and respect Alabama and Alabama fans to the point of them being my second favorite college behind...

OU SOONERS!!!!

spec.

BigUgly
2/5/2008, 10:00 PM
Double spek - but it's Boomer Sooner and RTR! lol