PDA

View Full Version : Adding insult to injury

kevpks
10/9/2007, 06:42 PM
SI's Most Disappointing College Players

Guess who made the list:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/cfb.most.disappointing.players/content.1.html

StoopTroup
10/9/2007, 06:45 PM
Heh.

SoonerBOI
10/9/2007, 06:45 PM
At least Colt is no. 1:D

OUHOMER
10/9/2007, 06:50 PM
they shouldnt pick on the children.. Pick on a man thats 40

StoopTroup
10/9/2007, 06:57 PM
They have a hard time finding a man in Austin.

Lott's Bandana
10/9/2007, 07:07 PM
Somebody is missing.

Coached by a man.

Poultry-fed by his mom.

Thought Heisman Watch List meant he was getting a new timepiece.

THAT AIN'T TRUE!

StanberryWasIn
10/9/2007, 07:23 PM
Somebody is missing.

Coached by a man.

Poultry-fed by his mom.

Thought Heisman Watch List meant he was getting a new timepiece.

THAT AIN'T TRUE!

That's GARBAGE!!!

winnard
10/9/2007, 07:29 PM
SI's Most Disappointing College Players

Guess who made the list:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0710/cfb.most.disappointing.players/content.1.html

Why would Sports Illustrated have such a list for amature athletes. Without sounding Gundyish, that's not right to pick on these kids with such a largely circulated rag. Major dissappointment, SI, you should be ashamed.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2007, 07:54 PM
I felt the same way. This hits a little too personal.

And Colt does not belong on the list anymore.

josh09
10/9/2007, 07:56 PM
At least Colt is no. 1:D

Yea at least hes #1 in SOMETHING. :)

Seamus
10/9/2007, 07:59 PM
Agree. That's bush league to single out college players that way.

Ash
10/9/2007, 08:07 PM
The only thing problematic about it that I see is the fact that they're disappointing because they didn't live up to the hype the media generated. It's kinda lame to slam somebody because they didn't do what you predicted they would do.

But as far as the whole "amateur" and "kid" thing. I don't get it. These aren't children, these are young men. Are they supposed to live in plastic bubbles their whole life protected from all of the criticism and only spoon fed compliments? Besides, who cares what some hack on the interweb writes? If you're the kind of ***** that can't take some criticism maybe you shouldn't be the QB on one of the biggest stages in college football.

tommieharris91
10/9/2007, 08:08 PM
It's not like you can't pick on Willie Williams, though. Pot use, all the arrests, etc. He had LOADS of talent, too.

utex74
10/9/2007, 08:21 PM
They have a hard time finding a man in Austin.

:pop:

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2007, 08:27 PM
Where's the Booty call? :)

StoopTroup
10/9/2007, 08:28 PM
:D

jrsooner
10/9/2007, 09:09 PM
The only thing problematic about it that I see is the fact that they're disappointing because they didn't live up to the hype the media generated. It's kinda lame to slam somebody because they didn't do what you predicted they would do.I disagree here. If they were all freshman, with no college experience, I might agree with you. BUT each of these 10 played last year and set the expectation by their performance. From what I can tell, ESPN is saying based on last year these guys aren't living up to their potential. Nothing wrong with that, it happens every year in business it's called the "yearly review". :)

Ash
10/9/2007, 09:21 PM
I disagree here. If they were all freshman, with no college experience, I might agree with you. BUT each of these 10 played last year and set the expectation by their performance. From what I can tell, ESPN is saying based on last year these guys aren't living up to their potential. Nothing wrong with that, it happens every year in business it's called the "yearly review". :)

It's a good point and the perception has been that Colt, in particular, has had a subpar year compared to last year. My point is, usually these come out as follow up pieces based on the players getting the most hype in the preseason. Just because you hyped a player in preseason and they're not doing what you expected doesn't mean they deserve the moniker. You've got to take into account all the other factors such as injuries, players leaving, etc.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/9/2007, 09:28 PM
Why would Sports Illustrated have such a list for amature athletes. Without sounding Gundyish, that's not right to pick on these kids with such a largely circulated rag. Major dissappointment, SI, you should be ashamed.

I agree, and I thought Colt looked pretty scary last week, frankly.

goingoneight
10/9/2007, 09:48 PM
Colt McCoy is a damn smart quarterback. I hate to defend a Hook 'em, but the reason he's had such a tough time is youth and inexperience along the line. If you've noticed, most of his bad plays are under some serious heat. Much like Sam Bradford has been, he is a product of the players around him. Theey said something Saturday like seven of his interceptions are because of tipped balls or receiver errors. If anyone understands being a bit frustrated by drops and tips, it's us in Boulder.

aurorasooner
10/9/2007, 09:51 PM
Football is a team sport. It's not like golf where you can better compare a players previous years to the next. You lose most of a senior OL, 1 or 2 great receivers, or a top 10 pick in the NFL draft running back like AD, and all of the sudden a super college QB is eating turf, having must catch 3rd down passes dropped, and linebackers not cheating up on the LOS like the previous year. While this list makes a good story for the less-than-well-educated CFB fans who think WWF is a real sport, it's total BS.

achiro
10/9/2007, 10:10 PM
Football is a team sport. It's not like golf where you can better compare a players previous years to the next. You lose most of a senior OL, 1 or 2 great receivers, or a top 10 pick in the NFL draft running back like AD, and all of the sudden a super college QB is eating turf, having must catch 3rd down passes dropped, and linebackers not cheating up on the LOS like the previous year. While this list makes a good story for the less-than-well-educated CFB fans who think WWF is a real sport, it's total BS.
I agree, the only guy that should be on that list is the pot smokin dude. The others, not so much.

proudsoonergal
10/9/2007, 10:20 PM

WWF isn't a real sport? Dang you VINCE MCMAHON!!!!

The_Red_Patriot
10/9/2007, 11:33 PM
Okay I am really tired of hearing this amateur athlete, their kids crap.. Etc

I didn’t know that 18-22 yr olds were still kids and besides, these players are just a step under the NFL. This stuff is really getting old. These guys are division 1 athletes, cream of the crop and for as much money that is made on these players, programs and college sports in general I would say they are much more than amateurs or for that.....Kids

They are not in high school anymore.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/10/2007, 12:30 AM
All I know is this. I was a straight-A student in grade school, middle school, high school. Everyone warned me that college would be a lot harder, but like any 16-year-old, I blew it off because I knew I was brilliant and invincible.

Until I got to OU, and found that it really WAS much harder. I was the golden child of the family, expected to be a near-genius, so the pressure when I found out how difficult it really was going to be to maintain that straight-A thing was immense. Extremely stressful.

And this situation was not even being played out in the national media. If it had been? and I had been tagged as one of the most disappointing "brains" of the season? I shudder to think how devastated I would have been, especially since I had tried my hardest to live up to the hype.

Are these players children? No.

Are they adults like we are, who have learned to roll with the punches and let criticism roll off our backs?

No again.

But yet they under more media attention than 99% of us, if not more, will ever see in our lifetimes. Would any of us want to be under that kind of pressure, particularly at that age? Remember yourself at 18. Be honest. Could YOU have handled it? I know I couldn't have.

So give them a little slack. They're not children. But they're still very young and under more pressure than I ever hope to see again in my lifetime. I hope every one of them has the spine to live up to articles like this one, which are just plain mean. There, I said it.

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2007, 12:50 AM
It's not so much that they aren't 40 and that SI should pick on a man so much as that they just did a photo gallery without any intelligent insight. And I'm certain that if there is an accompanying article it would be equally vacant of any intelligence.

These guys play at big time programs, so they expect media skepticism, but I think they deserve intelligent conversation, not judgemental BS...Even Colt and the others I was hoping would do badly this year.

sooneron
10/10/2007, 08:34 AM
I think putting someone on the list that hasn't been healthy, makes this more classless. They have a couple of other players that have been injured. WTF? Kid, you're really disappointing me with the way that you've been banged up! :rolleyes: