PDA

View Full Version : Vick'em... Tastless or Good Humor?

Readyfor8
10/9/2007, 04:25 PM
I personnally have done jokes about Micheal Vick, I have heard jokes about Micheal Vick, hell I have even laughed at jokes about Micheal Vick. So tell me college football enthusiasts, is this over the line? I personally laughed when I saw it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3056172

What do they expect from pirates anyway?

fadada1
10/9/2007, 04:35 PM
"That is in poor taste and poor judgment."

something none of us displayed while in college.

yermom
10/9/2007, 04:53 PM
he should just put them on cafepress now

aero
10/9/2007, 05:08 PM
Yes. Tasteless but in good humor.

MrKurt
10/9/2007, 05:13 PM
Tasteless. Also, funny as hell.

The Texags threads about it are the best.

Seamus
10/9/2007, 05:15 PM
They go to school in Lubbock. Good sense is not a common commodity there.

schlanker
10/9/2007, 05:53 PM
I think it is clever. You cant get mad at 18-22 year olds for being clever. When we were that age we were saying similar crap.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2007, 07:57 PM
Clever or not (and frankly, I don't think they are), there is no need to stoop to that level to earn a few bucks. They are supposed to be in college, so why the eighth-grade level of humor?

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2007, 08:22 PM
I'm a man. I'm 40.

And I still have an 8th grade level of humor.

Cam
10/9/2007, 09:02 PM
I have a feeling that my fraternity's not going to look too kindly on this.

Regardless of the old saying, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

StoopTroup
10/9/2007, 09:05 PM
Delta House should have done it for them IMO.

snp
10/9/2007, 09:10 PM
As someone who had to put up with that annoying dog for 4 years due to my neighbor being her caretaker:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5433/vickemkv4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

goingoneight
10/9/2007, 09:16 PM
If you can watch South Park, Family Guy or anything else like that... you have no business not laughing and crying about it. I wouldn't buy the T-shirt, but I raff so harr at it.

I don't like Texas, doesn't mean I'm going to buy the "F*** Texas" T-shirt.

Doged
10/9/2007, 09:18 PM
Made me laugh.

Political correctness is a crock to allow vocal, morally self-superior azzholes to try to force their views on everyone else. If the shirt's funny, laugh and go on. If it's not, don't laugh but still go on. Yeesh. It's a stupid t-shirt design, not a dog theft and murder ring.

Guess they should have put a disclaimer stating that no actual collies were harmed during the making of the t-shirt design?

snp
10/9/2007, 09:24 PM
If this shirt wasn't made by a group tied to the university, there'd be nothing they could do about it.

fadada1
10/9/2007, 09:50 PM
life is too short to be offended at everything.

laugh and move on.

btw, i thought it was funny. i won't buy the shirt, but it's funny.

sanantoniosooner
10/9/2007, 09:54 PM
The cruelty to that dog would be being buried and having to watch aTm games for eternity.

fadada1
10/9/2007, 10:01 PM
The cruelty to that dog would be being buried and having to watch aTm games for eternity.
done and done.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2007, 10:13 PM
If you can watch South Park, Family Guy or anything else like that... you have no business not laughing and crying about it.

Yeah, but these are supposed to be college students in these fraternities. You know? Higher education?

I think college students need to start acting as if they have some semblance of brains. And they can start by making some sensible judgments of what is in good taste.

And this is not a free-speech issue, since these students represent their fraternity. If they want to quit their fraternity and make the t-shirts, nothing can be said about it.

snp
10/9/2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but these are supposed to be college students in these fraternities. You know? Higher education?

I think college students need to start acting as if they have some semblance of brains. And they can start by making some sensible judgments of what is in good taste.

And this is not a free-speech issue, since these students represent their fraternity. If they want to quit their fraternity and make the t-shirts, nothing can be said about it.

As a frat boy myself I can attest that you're really out of touch to the Greek scene.

At worst, Nationals will reprimand them. These guys will still be talked about around campus for years to come.

Readyfor8
10/9/2007, 11:31 PM
I thought it was clever, coming from someone who tries to write something new everyday, I must say this is probably a once a week joke, and from someone who has heard alot of crappy jokes this one is one I would be the only one laughing at it in the back of the club type joke.

Hell it's not worse than the best tragedy joke I have ever heard... "I like to look on the bright side of things, and I know that Tsunami was a tragedy and all... but you have to think... In about 4 years Indonesia is going to have a kick *** swim team." - Clint Nohr. I was the only one laughing at that one too.

insuranceman_22
10/9/2007, 11:52 PM
The shirt was funny, they are in college & it was pretty creative. Now the Tsunami joke might have made me want to chuckle inside at first, but damn now that was truly a bad deal, when that realization immediately hit me I wouldn't laugh.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/10/2007, 12:24 AM
Clever or not (and frankly, I don't think they are), there is no need to stoop to that level to earn a few bucks. They are supposed to be in college, so why the eighth-grade level of humor?

Obviously Lizard - you were never in college. You just defined the essence of being in university. My dorm slogan was "Get Honor and Stay Honor!" double entendre all over the place...

Leroy Lizard
10/10/2007, 02:14 AM
Actually, I probably attended college for about three times longer than you did. (Grad school, and all.)

You can have fun in college without resorting to humor centered on the killing of dogs. In private, you can make all the disgusting jokes you want. But don't put them on t-shirts if you are representing a university.

ouflak
10/10/2007, 05:02 AM
I didn't think it was humorous. But I don't mean that in a spiteful way. I just saw it, understood it, and thought "meh". I guess I could see it eliciting a giggle here and there. *shrug*

If I had done it, it would have been a fark of the A&M mascot running alongside, or just in front of, Vick down the football field on one of his plays (a variation has been done in our fark forum). The way they did it removed anything from the imagination, which strips the humor away in my opinon. You can have tackiness with such things, as long as the obvious humor overrides the tacky concerns. When it doesn't ....

pott_2
10/10/2007, 07:37 AM
That is funny as hell. Bad taste but funny. I want a t-shirt that reads "Chris Benoit was a better father than you"

sooner_born_1960
10/10/2007, 08:08 AM
I wish I'd have thought of it first.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/10/2007, 09:16 AM
Well, against Lizard's admonitions, I think it was hilarious. It pokes fun at the cultish reverence aggie has for their dog against the backdrop of heinous activites of Mike Vick. Almost approaches the Rice "MOB" spelling out "eATMe" on the field at aggie. I don't think this was representing the sand aggie school, just in their school colors. Given the fact the guy is greek, this shirt is quite toned down from what it could and rather clever. Art work, ehh. Talk about class, the UT whorn with the tasteless t-shirt against OU on TV was as bad...

Ash
10/10/2007, 11:31 AM
Apparently Tech admins thought it was in bad taste.

Tech bans dog T-shirts that mock Vick
Associated Press, Updated 16 hours ago

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - Texas Tech has banned the sale of a T-shirt featuring a drawing of a football player dangling Texas A&M's dog mascot by her leash.

The red shirts, with black text reading "VICK 'EM" on the front in a reference to the Aggies' slogan "Gig 'em," were created by a Tech student who said he has sold roughly 300 of the shirts through his fraternity ahead of Saturday's game against Texas A&M in Lubbock.
Geoffrey Candia, the creator of the shirts, told The Associated Press he and his Theta Chi fraternity were taking full responsibility and would sell no more of the shirts.

"We realize the shirts shouldn't have been printed," he said.

The back shows a football player, wearing Michael Vick's No. 7, hanging the mascot Reveille from the end of her leash. The suspended NFL quarterback has pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting charge, admitting that he helped kill six to eight dogs.

"We will not permit individual students or any student organization to profit from selling merchandise on campus that is derogatory, inflammatory, insensitive, or in such bad taste that it reflects negatively on this fine institution, its students, athletic teams, alumni or faculty," school president Jon Whitmore said in a statement released by the school Tuesday afternoon.

The school also suspended the fraternity and plans to bring charges against it under the university's code of student conduct. The statement also said that the company making the shirts had stopped printing them.

"You can't make light of a situation like that," Texas Tech media relations spokesman Chris Cook said. "That is in poor taste and poor judgment."

A&M officials, in a statement, thanked Tech administrators for "their response and action regarding this matter."

Candia told The Battalion, A&M's newspaper, that the university prohibited sale of the shirts on campus through his fraternity. He said he wanted to give 50 percent of the proceeds to a Lubbock animal defense league "because we knew there would be a controversy about the shirts, you know, animal rights, stuff like that."

Candia told the newspaper about 300 had been sold.

In a posting on his Facebook page at about 4 a.m. Tuesday, Candia wrote: "a little tshirt get aggies all worked up... its a t-shirt people!"

The controversy comes about 2 1/2 months after Gerald Myers, Tech's athletic director, announced a campaign to promote good sportsmanship across the campus and at athletic events. The campaign centers around the phrase "honor, respect, pride and tradition."

Myers did not immediately return a call seeking comment Tuesday.

Robyn Katz, president of Tech's chapter of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund, said her organization "wouldn't take a dime" from Candia.

"If he really wanted to help promote anti-animal cruelty then he would donate time at a no-kill shelter," she said. "He's really doing the Tech community a disservice. There's plenty of other ways to promote a rivalry."

Hostility between the two schools is nothing new.

In 1999, after a Tech football victory in Lubbock, Red Raiders fans pelted Aggies players with batteries and taunts. Tech fans tore down the goalposts and paraded them past the Aggies' bus.

In 2001, about 1,000 Tech celebrants again tore down the goalposts, marched them the length of the field and pushed them into the A&M section of the stadium. Aggies threw ice and a skirmish ensued.

Then there were the tortillas. In 1992, Tech fans began tossing them like Frisbees onto the field during games. A year later, hundreds of tortillas — many carrying unprintable messages — were thrown during an A&M game.

The rivalry is not confined to the gridiron. Controversy followed two men's basketball games that A&M won in Lubbock.

In 1994, after a one-point, last-second decision, a jumble of punches and pushes broke out between the exiting Aggies and angry Tech fans. Aggies coach Tony Barone and two of his players ultimately paid $5,000 to settle a lawsuit stemming from the fight.

In a January 2000 game, referees counted A&M's shot in the final second to give the Aggies an 88-86 win. Then they overturned it. Then they overturned it again, giving the victory back to A&M.

CitySooner
10/10/2007, 11:35 AM
I think it would have been a good idea if the design and artwork of the shirts were better. It would make them more 'classy'. ;)

frankensooner
10/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Leroy, I find your avatar in poor taste. ;)

Three times longer? Wow? You must have been on some crazy 21 year plan!

Choctaw
10/10/2007, 12:20 PM
Lighten up Francis, cuz that's pretty dang funny.

sooneron
10/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Pretty tasteless, but pretty funny.

OklahomaRed
10/10/2007, 01:03 PM
Tasteless but funny. IMO, Michael Vick would have been a hero if he would have been organizing a "cat fighting ring" and killing them when they didn't perform! :D If people are going to get that wired up about a t-shirt, they need to look at some of the sick humor we tolerate by any number of comedians, cartoons, and sit-coms. It's just a joke. It's not like the frat was condoning dog hanging. :eek:

Seamus
10/10/2007, 01:32 PM
I think it is clever. You cant get mad at 18-22 year olds for being clever. When we were that age we were saying similar crap.

Funny. In the 1940s, 18-22 year olds helped save the world from tyranny.

In the 2000s, 18-22 year olds are morans who make bad t-shirts and flash their teets for beads. :pop:

Just sayin' ...

cvsooner
10/10/2007, 01:42 PM
Tasteless and unfunny, but understandable.

Aggies making fun of aggies is always sad, in my book.

virginiasooner
10/10/2007, 02:08 PM
Tasteless, disgusting, beyond the pale on all levels, and to top it off, NOT THE LEAST BIT FUNNY. I love dogs, and what Vick did to the dogs he owned is disgusting. If you are so inclined, read the indictment and plea agreements, and if you still think those shirts are funny, you are one sick, pathetic mofo.

SoonerBBall
10/10/2007, 03:15 PM
Funny. In the 1940s, 18-22 year olds helped save the world from tyranny.

In the 2000s, 18-22 year olds are morans who make bad t-shirts and flash their teets for beads. :pop:

Just sayin' ...

Waiting for you to point all those hapless 18-22 year old to the nearest World War......

Oh yeah, also, life expectancy was a fair bit shorter back then, and the percentage of people that went to college was much, much lower.

By all means, though, go on with your pointless, holier-than-thou digging.

snp
10/10/2007, 03:16 PM
Actually, I probably attended college for about three times longer than you did. (Grad school, and all.)

You can have fun in college without resorting to humor centered on the killing of dogs. In private, you can make all the disgusting jokes you want. But don't put them on t-shirts if you are representing a university.

So should the Thetas at ou be reprimanded for their Bevo BBQ function they throw every year before the RRS?

Actually they should, since it's an awful date party. But the point is our school is making the same type of joke. This case is just sensationalized because of Vick.

SoonerBBall
10/10/2007, 03:16 PM
Tasteless, disgusting, beyond the pale on all levels, and to top it off, NOT THE LEAST BIT FUNNY. I love dogs, and what Vick did to the dogs he owned is disgusting. If you are so inclined, read the indictment and plea agreements, and if you still think those shirts are funny, you are one sick, pathetic mofo.

Perspective much?

PETA called, they want their sense of moral outrage concerning overblown, non-serious animal issues back.

virginiasooner
10/10/2007, 03:32 PM
You consider TORTURE non-serious? I consider how someone treats their pets a reflection of their character. And to make fun of strangling, electrocuting, or drowning a dog is sick beyond belief.

And I think PETA is a pain in the butt.

SoonerBBall
10/10/2007, 03:51 PM
Oh please. Actually torturing an animal is sick and wrong. No one is saying it isn't. Making a tshirt lampooning an NFL star and a rival's mascot is funny. See the difference? It is absolutely not subtle.

Also, no matter who you are, your dog has done something to make you consider strangling it.

Seamus
10/10/2007, 03:53 PM
Waiting for you to point all those hapless 18-22 year old to the nearest World War......

Oh yeah, also, life expectancy was a fair bit shorter back then, and the percentage of people that went to college was much, much lower.

By all means, though, go on with your pointless, holier-than-thou digging.

A little too close to home? ;)

Show me your tits! :D

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2007, 12:35 AM
Three times longer? Wow? You must have been on some crazy 21 year plan!

18 actually.

A rival team stole our mascot when I was in high school. They killed it. I am sure they found their act to be funny. And I suppose if they felt it was funny, then that is all that mattered.

There has to be a limit to how far someone is willing to go to get a laugh.

By the way, the excuse "We are college students; we are supposed to be morons" is weak.

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 12:49 AM
While that may be true of MOST college students, the college in question here is Tech!

snp
10/11/2007, 01:11 AM
18 actually.

A rival team stole our mascot when I was in high school. They killed it. I am sure they found their act to be funny. And I suppose if they felt it was funny, then that is all that mattered.

There has to be a limit to how far someone is willing to go to get a laugh.

By the way, the excuse "We are college students; we are supposed to be morons" is weak.

And that is a weak analogy you're trying to draw between a victimless t-shirt idea and a slaughter of an innocent animal.

There is no limit for what people think is funny. You need to realize this and lighten up, Francis.

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I would never laugh as I watch Vick electrocute an innocent animal, but I'd sure laugh at even the most tasteless joke about the dumbass.

snp
10/11/2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I would never laugh as I watch Vick electrocute an innocent animal, but I'd sure laugh at even the most tasteless joke about the dumbass.

Did you hear about his latest endorsement deal he signed?

Hush Puppies.

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 01:29 AM
Holy crap! That's SO bad! and yet...my sick *** is laughing!

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2007, 06:03 PM
And that is a weak analogy you're trying to draw between a victimless t-shirt idea and a slaughter of an innocent animal.

No, but there is a connection between the slaughter of an innocent animal and making fun of the slaughter of an innocent animal.

It's tasteless and should not be produced by any organization representing the university. -- Francis

tnraider1
10/11/2007, 07:19 PM
No, but there is a connection between the slaughter of an innocent animal and making fun of the slaughter of an innocent animal.

It's tasteless and should not be produced by any organization representing the university. -- Francis

Let me guess, you are a hard core democrat?

Seamus
10/11/2007, 08:39 PM
Politics = go to South Oval

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2007, 08:50 PM
Let me guess, you are a hard core democrat?

Nope, Republican.

tnraider1
10/11/2007, 09:53 PM
Politics = go to South Oval

Just messing with the new troll. Don't get your panties in a wad.

sanantoniosooner
10/11/2007, 10:00 PM
Nope, Republican.
Regardless of political affiliation you are boring.;)

SoonerBBall
10/11/2007, 10:27 PM
Regardless of political affiliation you are boring.;)

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 10:31 PM
Speaking of animal cruelty, will someone bleed the lizard already?

birddog
10/11/2007, 10:31 PM
pretty lame. might be better if vick actually went to tech or something. otherwise, i don't see the connnection other than they have a dog on the sidelines.

Crucifax Autumn
10/11/2007, 10:45 PM
That was my only real question about this too. I'd truly understand if he was still in college and a rival of theirs, but it really is kinda irrelevant to tech.