PDA

View Full Version : My encounter with the Mean Green

stoops the eternal pimp
10/9/2007, 02:30 PM
A few weeks ago NT played Arkansas at Fayettville. Luckily for McAlester, the Mean Green stopped over in our small town to stretch their legs and get a bit of air.

As I was pulling out of Wendy's with my number 4( large size), I saw the buses pull into the Wal Mart parking lot and unload the team. Being the nice person I am I went over and talked with some of the players. I was looking for the 12 year old girl they had man'd up on MK but he was nowhere to be seen.

As I pulled up I asked the question "Where are you guys headed?" and without a second's pause a player responded, "To another loss".

Difference between the Mean Green and Aggies- The Greenies embrace reality

swardboy
10/9/2007, 02:35 PM
Mmmmmmmm......#4

tommieharris91
10/9/2007, 02:36 PM
It's pretty bad when a player says they're gonna lose. It's even worse when you have a high school head coach.

DalHorn
10/9/2007, 02:40 PM
As a UNT grad, that's a little disheartening to hear.

Dodge has revamped the whole system, even the uniforms. I suspect it will be a couple of years before he has the right guys in place. But I'd be really shocked if he doesn't eventually turn the Green around.

They open at LSU next year I believe. <yikes>

mxATVracer10
10/9/2007, 02:41 PM
I believe the #4 is the BACONATOR right? If so, it is SOOOO full of teh awesomez!!!1!!!1111!

DarrellZero
10/9/2007, 03:15 PM
I was looking for the 12 year old girl they had man'd up on MK but he was nowhere to be seen.

Now, now.

mfosterftw
10/9/2007, 03:36 PM
As a UNT grad, that's a little disheartening to hear.

Dodge has revamped the whole system, even the uniforms. I suspect it will be a couple of years before he has the right guys in place. But I'd be really shocked if he doesn't eventually turn the Green around.

Dodge can't have the right players in place. The whole secret to Southlake Carroll is that their players start their system in middle school (or maybe even Pop Warner), giving them years to learn it before they ever get to play in Dragon Stadium. That is their competitive advantage, and it won't translate to NCAA success.

Oh, and when the district grew they voted not to split the high school. Well, in a way they did... they put grades 9-10 in a campus next to the 11-12 campus.

DalHorn
10/9/2007, 04:07 PM
The whole secret to Southlake Carroll is that their players start their system in middle school (or maybe even Pop Warner), giving them years to learn it before they ever get to play in Dragon Stadium. That is their competitive advantage, and it won't translate to NCAA success.

Southlake doesn't have a patent on that system. There are many schools in Texas (and the DFW area) that start kids in a similar system early. Southlake's advantage, imo, is a superior training program including personal trainers. Rich kids tend to have the time and $$ for that. Plus, there always seems to be an ex Cowboy's kid or two on the team. Great athletes with rich parents tend to migrate to Southlake at an early age.

But I agree it will come down to Dodge's ability to coach and not rely on a 'system' per se. But Mike Leach recruits kids who fit Tech's system, and he has pretty good success with it.