PDA

View Full Version : Blocking below the waist on an int return

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2007, 11:27 PM
The Sooners got called for this the other day on a long int return; my question is has this always been illegal? I knew you couldn't do it on punts and kickoffs, but didn't know it was illegal on int's. A freakin' :texan: must have came up with this rule.

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 11:30 PM
I thought that was weird too.

Curly Bill
10/8/2007, 11:39 PM
It is illegal on any kind of return: kickoff, punt, int. return, or fumble return. I think it used to be legal on an int. return but that was changed some years ago, though how many I don't know.

The Preach Man
10/8/2007, 11:39 PM
I THINK the rule is something like this:

It's only OK to block below the waist between the tackles about 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

I may be wrong but I think that is close.

goingoneight
10/8/2007, 11:42 PM
Ghey. And that's pretty much all there is to say about that.
:texan:

Curly Bill
10/8/2007, 11:47 PM
I THINK the rule is something like this:

It's only OK to block below the waist between the tackles about 2 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

I may be wrong but I think that is close.

You can block below the waist anywhere on the field within certain parameters(sp?) It has to be in front, a WR can't crack block and block below the waist, you can't do it when the player you are "cutting" is also being blocked up high, you can't do it on any kind of return, and there might be another circumstance or two that I'm missing.

Crucifax Autumn
10/9/2007, 12:00 AM
Seems like a rather complicated bunch of variables to keep up with at game speed on one of the most exciting moments in a game, but I guess it's to avoid injury so I suppose it's okay, though really I think some of the rules really do wussify football a bit.

jwlynn64
10/9/2007, 12:21 AM
I guess he should have launched himself high and took the guys head off. That would have been legal and oh so much fun to watch. ;)

ruf/nekdad
10/9/2007, 04:29 AM
Bob said on his show that it was on a return and you can't block below the waist on a return.

SoonerAtKU
10/9/2007, 06:21 AM
If it wasn't illegal, you'd see a lot more Trent Green type concussions or torn knee ligaments.

aurorasooner
10/9/2007, 06:51 AM
We've really had a lot of sloppy penalties this year negating big plays. It makes me wonder if all that hard hitting physical work that Stoops said we had in the preseason is taking it's toll and our guys are tired already, especially all the holding calls on the OL. I would really like to see our OL blow Mizzou completely off the ball in the 1st half so we'd have some long drives with a bunch of 1st downs while chewing clock, to not only keep the ball away from Missouri but to tire out their D, instead of ours always being the one tired in the 2nd half. IMO, it would make a statement if we had about 300-350 yards rushing, with Sam only having to throw about 15 times for around 150 yards. While it may not be as flashy as the passing game, we really need to get the between-tackles-running game going in the 1st half somehow, but I'm beginning to think it's not going to happen until opposing Ds start tiring in the 2nd half.

ouwapiti
10/9/2007, 08:01 AM
its been a rule for about 20+ years.....players SHOULD know it!!!!!!!!!!.....i saw it when it happened and couldnt believe ( i think it was harris???) he did it...in my opinion its symptomatic of other mental errors by the secondary...i.e. blown coverages, not breaking down and making tackle etc etc

tulsaoilerfan
10/9/2007, 08:25 AM
Bob said on his show that it was on a return and you can't block below the waist on a return.
Ok, that's the only opinion i need to hear on the subject; thanks!!:D

r5TPsooner
10/9/2007, 09:11 AM
I watched the game again last night. It was definitely a block below the waste and it was from the front of the torso as well. The sad part is, that it was on a big-azz offensive lineman who had little-to-no chance of catching the runner who I think was Reggie Smith.

It was a good idea but a silly penalty that cost up possible points.