PDA

View Full Version : Late Hit?

Redshirt
10/8/2007, 02:59 PM
How did we dodge a late hit penalty on Austin English? It looked awfully late because the play was blown dead at the snap. Whether he heard a whistle or not shouldn't be an issue. I dont' think it changed the outcome of the game but I sure cringed when he didn't pull up.

colleyvillesooner
10/8/2007, 03:02 PM
I agree. I don't think he heard the whistle, but we still should have gotten a flag. He could have REALLY hurt Colt on that play.

SoonerAcesUp
10/8/2007, 03:02 PM
I bet Colt has nightmares about that guy!

OUDoc
10/8/2007, 03:03 PM
He could have REALLY hurt Colt on that play.
He's REALLY hurt on every play.

yermom
10/8/2007, 03:05 PM
yeah, we were trying to figure out what was going on there... "why is McCoy just standing there?"

lol

i didn't hear the whistle either

Collier11
10/8/2007, 03:09 PM
I was told by someone there that only one or two of the refs blew the play dead, also many of the texas guys kept playing as well. Maybe im wrong but what ive heard

jrsooner
10/8/2007, 03:10 PM
I agree. I don't think he heard the whistle, but we still should have gotten a flag.could it be that the ref for that portion of the field didn't hear it either, thus thinking the play was still live.

Widescreen
10/8/2007, 03:14 PM
If you look at the replay, all the UT players kept blocking and all of our guys kept rushing. Hardly anybody seemed to notice the whistle - except for Doug Flutie, of course.

bstuff1979
10/8/2007, 03:16 PM
I was pretty close to the play from my seats, and I heard no whistle at all. Up untill after the play, most everyone in my section had thought that it was a live play and a sack. Watching the game on dvr yesterday, I don't remember backfield ref ever doing anything to signal that the play was dead. If I'm Mack (and thank the Lord that I'm not), I'd give the ref more than a verbal lashing. If there was any wrong-doing, it was the ref and not English. You've got to stop the play at least four or five seconds before it gets to the point where English is eating Colt 4-2's soul.

jccouger
10/8/2007, 03:20 PM
I thought we were going to get a flag. But it would have just offset the false start wouldn't it?

Rhino
10/8/2007, 03:21 PM
You could see it pretty clearly from where I was sitting. The ref on our side blew his whistle and waved his arms just as the ball was snapped.

The ref on Auston's side and the back judge never signaled anything from what I saw. The play on our side of the field and it was very loud.

Watch the clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byZiJj4Vxw) again and tell me if there is anyone not playing like it's a real play until Colt stiffens up a split-second before Auston hits him.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 03:21 PM
IIRC, the play was blown dead ONLY on the side opposite of English; everyone on the other side was acting as if the ball was live, refs included.

CtheB
10/8/2007, 03:23 PM
I thought we were going to get a flag. But it would have just offset the false start wouldn't it?

No, it would have been a dead ball foul. They would have marked off the false start 5 yards, then marked forward the ball 15 yards and given UT an auto first down.

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2007, 03:24 PM
Hell we were watching at my house and none of us realized the play was blown dead before he blew him up

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2007, 03:25 PM
But i think the refs made up for it with all the holds we got called for later on:mad:

colleyvillesooner
10/8/2007, 03:28 PM
You could see it pretty clearly from where I was sitting. The ref on our side blew his whistle and waved his arms just as the ball was snapped.

The ref on Auston's side and the back judge never signaled anything from what I saw. The play on our side of the field and it was very loud.

Watch the clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byZiJj4Vxw) again and tell me if there is anyone not playing like it's a real play until Colt stiffens up a split-second before Auston hits him.

The key in this clip is the only players English could see is an OL/DL still locked up, a Colt looking down field with the ball.

JohnnyMack
10/8/2007, 03:34 PM
The referee is the one who ****ed up here and that's why he didn't (couldn't) flag English. As loud as it was on the field English isn't the only one who didn't hear the whistle, it's obvious the referee doesn't either. One of the main functions of the referee in fact is to protect the QB. The ref is turning his head to see that the side judge has blown his whistle, then his head snaps back and sees English pop McCoy. If the referee called the false start OR heard the whistle, he would have been blowing his whistle (directly towards AE), waving his arms and moving in to protect the QB.

SouthFortySooner
10/8/2007, 03:35 PM
It is being painted by some hornfans we are all rah rah about this play. What I see overwhelmingly is it just happened. Everyone is standing around like, what? A lot like the texis players were at the end of the game, whut? where?

JohnnyMack
10/8/2007, 03:39 PM
And the audio you hear of the whistles blowing is deceptive. The sound booms are on the sidelines, nearer the side judge who was blowing his whistle. So on TV you can pick up the whistle, but on the field if the whistle is being blown from the other side of the field and you add in the crowd noise and I'd bet a nickel English didn't hear it.

Piware
10/8/2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone who has been to the RRS knows you can't hear yourself think. I heard the whistle on television and the other announcers pointed out to Flutie that he heard it through his headset. I guess that's what all those dish microphones on the sidelines do.

I thought we would get the penalty regardless of the Tejass o-line continuing to block and McCoy still winding up. Breathed a huge sigh of relief for no flag and that McCoy wasn't hurt - that time, anyway. English could have hurt him but didn't so that's enough for me.

Animal Mother
10/8/2007, 03:48 PM
First of all, the whorn fans can get bent. Second, I have seen the game and this play several times. You can see the back judge or what ever the f**k his job is tagged, just watching like a dog watching a bird, as English separates Colt’s soul from it’s vessel.
The ref just didn’t hear it or froze like an escaped convict in the spotlight a la Bugs Bunny. Colt seems to display the “hurt little sister pose” anytime he’s on the receiving end of a D-linemen’s detonation. You know, the way your sister would do when you were kids, to increase the severity of your azz whoopin’ after you were busted pushing her to the ground getting that last Easter egg.
The guy is a good qb, but he gets on my last good nerve with that crap.

wishbonesooner
10/8/2007, 03:50 PM
It could indeed have been bad for Colt, but be honest, didn't you love seeing English just blow him up?

Miko
10/8/2007, 03:50 PM
I was surprised by that too.

And in ut's opening drive, they complete a swing pass to a receivist who caught the ball with a knee on the ground. He got up and ran for a first down. I watched and rewatched the replay and after further review, his knee was down. Shouldn't that have been whistled dead at the point of the catch? Or been sumarily reviewed by the replay official and the ball been given to the ducks??

101sooner
10/8/2007, 04:00 PM
The only player that I can see that heard the whistle is the receiver that Colt was watching. The receiver slowed down and it looks like Colt saw him slow down, then at the very last second stopped playing.

Heck, if you are going to flag English, then flag the UT offensive lineman that made the damn pancake block AFTER Colt got hit.

If the backfield judge didn't know the play was dead, there's no way English knew the play was dead.

jwlynn64
10/8/2007, 04:00 PM
Was that before or after we knocked the ball loose on a Texas completion only to have the refs blow the play dead as an incomplete pass.

I watched that play when I got home and it is irresponsible for the refs to not have reviewed that play. It was a change of possession for crying out loud.

My question is, does that play happen if they rightfully give us possession of the football?

Collier11
10/8/2007, 04:09 PM
Was that before or after we knocked the ball loose on a Texas completion only to have the refs blow the play dead as an incomplete pass.

I watched that play when I got home and it is irresponsible for the refs to not have reviewed that play. It was a change of possession for crying out loud.

My question is, does that play happen if they rightfully give us possession of the football?

I could be wrong but I heard that it couldnt be reviewed??? The commentator that spoke about it didnt give why

Widescreen
10/8/2007, 04:19 PM
football fans are funny. An identical thread is going on at hornfans and the consensus seems to be:

1) It was a cheap shot. 100% guaranteed.
2) All of the UT players heard the whistle and stopped playing. Only English kept playing.
3) English is a thug and so are our coaches for celebrating.

OU fans are over there trying to say that it could've been flagged but wasn't a cheap shot. <insert icon of head hitting brick wall>

OUMonster
10/8/2007, 04:39 PM
A Baylor player did the same thing to Jason White in Norman in 2003 and never got flagged.

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 04:41 PM
I didn't even know a whistle was blown till after the hit. As loud as that game was early on I doubt anyone could hear a whistle. There was several times when play started when whistles were blown. That's what makes games like that so great.

tigepilot
10/8/2007, 04:44 PM
My first impression was, wow, I can't believe English didn't get a personal foul for that hit.

Next, I remembered that I've seen something similar happen on several occasions where there is no flag thrown at the defense. Usually though, it's a defensive lineman lined up close to the interior like a nosegaurd or such, an offensive lineman flinches and the defensive linenman charges the gap and hits the quarterback who is under center. This case took longer to develope but it was similar.

Next, they showed the replay from behind English where you can see all the Texas players in his field of vision still playing, including McCoy up until about a half step before English hits him. Even if you were to tell me that he might have faintly heard a whistle over that crowd, I can forgive the fact that he has to be sure about what he heard by the reaction of those around him. I thought it was a good non call based on that.

JohnnyMack
10/8/2007, 04:49 PM
Look at the replay and show me when a Saxet offensive lineman stops playing. tigepilot is right in that McCoy pulls up at the VERY last second because his head is oriented in that direction.

aurorasooner
10/8/2007, 04:52 PM
And the audio you hear of the whistles blowing is deceptive. The sound booms are on the sidelines, nearer the side judge who was blowing his whistle. So on TV you can pick up the whistle, but on the field if the whistle is being blown from the other side of the field and you add in the crowd noise and I'd bet a nickel English didn't hear it. I would imagine those sideline mics have some noise canceling technology to selectively filter out or reduce the crowd noise and probably don't filter out the frequency of a whistle. Otherwise you couldn't even hear Maguire's (sp-?) comments.

Widescreen
10/8/2007, 04:53 PM
Look at the replay and show me when a Saxet offensive lineman stops playing. tigepilot is right in that McCoy pulls up at the VERY last second because his head is oriented in that direction.
But see, that just makes you a homer gooner idiot who knows nothing except cheating. English definitely heard the whistle - you can just tell and he chose to blast McCoy and probably intended to kill him. You did notice that he kicked McCoy as he was laying on the ground and then spiked the football on his back, right?

Paperclip
10/8/2007, 04:56 PM
yeah, we were trying to figure out what was going on there... "why is McCoy just standing there?"

lol

i didn't hear the whistle either

I was sitting a little behind you and Doleo and I didn't hear it either. It was really loud at that point.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/8/2007, 05:01 PM
What I want to know is why the hell he is playing football if he is so fragile. Sheesh.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2007, 05:09 PM
I could be wrong but I heard that it couldnt be reviewed??? The commentator that spoke about it didnt give why

It's actually good for OU that it didn't get reviewed, as the result of the review would have been a Texas first down. Once the whistle blows that the play was dead, they cannot award possession to the other team. They CAN review when a play was over to see if the ball came out prior to the play being over if a fumble was ruled on the field. They CANNOT review if the ball came out prior to the play being dead if there was no ruling of a fumble on the field and the play was ruled dead. Make sense? That being said, the ruling on the field was incorrect-it was a fumble.

Oh, yeah, and if Colt doesn't want to get hit, then he needs to stop acting like the play is still live until a split-second before he gets hit.

SoonerGM
10/8/2007, 05:11 PM
look, im not happy about the play. its too bad that it had to happen that way, but i dont lay it all at english's feet either.

that being said, i dont think it was that big of a hit. it think it just looked bad because colt was relaxed at that point, so he went flying. i truly feel that if english wanted to be malicious about it, he could hit ALOT hard than that. if i remember correctly he simply used his arms to push him down. he could have launched himself shoulder first and possibly taken colt out of the game.

JohnnyMack
10/8/2007, 05:17 PM
But see, that just makes you a homer gooner idiot who knows nothing except cheating. English definitely heard the whistle - you can just tell and he chose to blast McCoy and probably intended to kill him. You did notice that he kicked McCoy as he was laying on the ground and then spiked the football on his back, right?

I did. I also noticed that English bent down and stole Colt's wallet.

jk the sooner fan
10/8/2007, 05:21 PM
i wish somebody had a screen capture of the face that Mack made as he was having his meltdown after that play

TopDawg
10/8/2007, 05:22 PM
Late hit? Yes
Personal foul? No

The one I wanna know about is at the end of the first half when we punted to them. Since they muffed the punt, we should not have been allowed to advance the ball...it should've been blown dead as soon as we recovered it. This is a secondhand report, but some friends of mine who Tivo'd the game watched that play in slo-mo a few times and said that we recovered it with one second left. Those of you watching on TV may've been unaware that the play was reviewed (cuz it took a while for them to review it) but I'd be curious to know why they didn't give us the ball with 1 second left.

StoopTroup
10/8/2007, 05:30 PM
I hope English hits him again next year.

aero
10/8/2007, 05:35 PM
I was surprised by that too.

And in ut's opening drive, they complete a swing pass to a receivist who caught the ball with a knee on the ground. He got up and ran for a first down. I watched and rewatched the replay and after further review, his knee was down. Shouldn't that have been whistled dead at the point of the catch? Or been sumarily reviewed by the replay official and the ball been given to the ducks??

receivist? I like that. I was wondering the same thing. I was waiting for a replay, mention from the tools on tv, something. Nothing. I think it was to Cosby or Charles and it looked like they dropped to their knee (right knee?) when they caught the ball. Anyone have the vid on that?

BHud
10/8/2007, 05:44 PM
It was a late hit. Whether he heard the whistle or not, it doesn't change the fact that it should have been called.

Was it intentional? Probablly not.

Did it make a difference in the game? No.

josh09
10/8/2007, 05:56 PM
How did we dodge a late hit penalty on Austin English? It looked awfully late because the play was blown dead at the snap. Whether he heard a whistle or not shouldn't be an issue. I dont' think it changed the outcome of the game but I sure cringed when he didn't pull up.

When i watched it again on my DVR i noticed that even after the whistle was blown, most of both lines kept blocking and trying to get to the QB, like they couldnt hear it. So im guessing he just didnt hear it, and i also think that only one ref called the play dead, and that the others didnt realize that it was dead until the hit had been made.

It was still an AMAZING hit though, because it definately pumped the crowd up big time.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 06:39 PM
It was still an AMAZING hit though, because it definately pumped the crowd up big time.

Heh, actually, initially the crowd got quieter, probably because a lot of us thought we were going to get flagged for the late hit.

Then two of the OU coaches on the sideline went bat**** waving at the crowd to make some noise, and the crowd obliged. :)

stoopified
10/8/2007, 06:51 PM
The refs as a group realized English COULD NOT hear the whistle and had no way of knowing the play was dead.If there had been ANY doubt at least one ref would have thrown a flag and there would have been an officials conference to make the call.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2007, 06:52 PM
Late hit? Yes
Personal foul? No

The one I wanna know about is at the end of the first half when we punted to them. Since they muffed the punt, we should not have been allowed to advance the ball...it should've been blown dead as soon as we recovered it. This is a secondhand report, but some friends of mine who Tivo'd the game watched that play in slo-mo a few times and said that we recovered it with one second left. Those of you watching on TV may've been unaware that the play was reviewed (cuz it took a while for them to review it) but I'd be curious to know why they didn't give us the ball with 1 second left.

Cosby never actually touched the ball.

kevpks
10/8/2007, 06:53 PM
I laughed when English hit McCoy. I couldn't help it.

freshchris05
10/8/2007, 06:56 PM
Typical Stoops cheap crap. He loves when his players do this kind of thing and get away with it.
He's a terrible person and a good coach. His former players hate him and this play defines how he coaches his players.
What a complete turd.

heh.. did anyone else see that comment?? what a tool...

mo money mo problems..

FtwTxSooner
10/8/2007, 07:14 PM
The ref, Tom Walker, was the same guy that flagged and tossed Texas A&M's Kellen Heard for a late hit on McCoy after he threw a pick. If he felt it warranted a flag, he would have thrown it.

KantoSooner
10/8/2007, 07:15 PM
Flutie is, was and will always be a worthless human being. And I've disliked him now for more than 20 years.

snp
10/8/2007, 07:27 PM
McCoy, English, and the referee all share partial blame. McCoy deserves the least, but he could've gotten rid of the ball if he did hear the whistle and didn't want to take a hit.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 07:28 PM
Would anyone here be all that surprised if McCoy knew it was coming, and took the hit to try and draw the flag?

GreaterState
10/8/2007, 07:34 PM
Would anyone here be all that surprised if McCoy knew it was coming, and took the hit to try and draw the flag?

Wow, now it's getting ridiculous.

As are the suggestions that it's in any way McCoy's fault because he "should have stopped playing sooner." Step in there against a pass rush and tell me any QB is thinking ahead about when to stand upright and lower their guard, in hopes of "signaling" defenders the play is dead. Yikes.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 07:39 PM
shrug, it just seems to me that if you have a chance at a free 15 yards and a first down and all you have to do is take a hit, you might just do it. I mean, they are playing football down there. Getting hit supposedly comes with the territory.

OTOH, if you're implying that Colt's too much of a girlie man to take a hit for 15 yards and a first down, I guess you could be right. He is a Longhorn, after all. :D

And as far as it being "McCoy's fault", I don't think it's his fault. Nor do I think it's English's, or the refs. The place was ****ing loud. The only way you could have possibly known the play was dead was if you saw the ref on the far side of the field waving his arms. There's no blame to distribute here. **** happens, and in this case, **** is exactly what happened.

GreaterState
10/8/2007, 07:48 PM
shrug, it just seems to me that if you have a chance at a free 15 yards and a first down and all you have to do is take a hit, you might just do it. I mean, they are playing football down there. Getting hit supposedly comes with the territory.

OTOH, if you're implying that Colt's too much of a girlie man to take a hit for 15 yards and a first down, I guess you could be right. He is a Longhorn, after all. :D

And as far as it being "McCoy's fault", I don't think it's his fault. Nor do I think it's English's, or the refs. The place was ****ing loud. The only way you could have possibly known the play was dead was if you saw the ref on the far side of the field waving his arms. There's no blame to distribute here. **** happens, and in this case, **** is exactly what happened.

Ah, I was about to say thanks for the respectful answer, then after I hit reply you edited in the "girlie man" comment. :)

As for fault, I disagree. It's English's fault and he deserved a flag. It's not like there was no whistle at all. Hundreds of teams have played in loud environments since leather helmet times and those late hits all seem to get flagged, without d-linemen melting down over it. Once you give someone a pass for loudness you've lost control of that rule. Terrible no-call.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 07:54 PM
Ah, I was about to say thanks for the respectful answer, then after I hit reply you edited in the "girlie man" comment. :)

Girlie man is respectful when compared to the other similar epithets that mean the same thing ;)

As for fault, I disagree. It's English's fault and he deserved a flag. It's not like there was no whistle at all. Hundreds of teams have played in loud environments since leather helmet times and those late hits all seem to get flagged, without d-linemen melting down over it. Once you give someone a pass for loudness you've lost control of that rule. Terrible no-call.

If the ref behind McCoy has no clue the play's been blown dead, how is English supposed to?

aero
10/8/2007, 07:59 PM
what's really funny is all of the discussion going on here and whornfans about a play that was essentially a non issue as far as the game was concerned. Most of the players were still going enough that its easy to see how English, coupled with obviously not hearing the whistle same as at least half those on the field including the refs, didn't realize the play had been blown dead. That whole play was on the refs. And Stoops no more condones cheap play than Mack does. Only a whorn would say something so asinine.

GreaterState
10/8/2007, 08:14 PM
If the ref behind McCoy has no clue the play's been blown dead, how is English supposed to?

I don't think the rules require all refs to flap their arms in unison like an eagle or something. Again, whistles have served us since the dawn of football, and there was about three seconds of repeated whistling before English forearm-shivered him high on the body, instead of a form tackle. Nobody can prove that he heard/didn't hear; nobody can prove he was thinking about getting licks in on a QB coming off a concussion, but it sure smells fishy, and a flag would have a) made sure no one would think that way and b) been the subject of no argument at all.

Aero can explain how a potential injury play, when there's a defensive motive to knock him out of the game, is a "non-issue" (note: *I* am not saying this play decided the game or anything like that -- though for a late hit after a false start whistle, UT just moved back for the false start).

And Maguire is a tool for jumping in after one second to say it was all OK. As if the refs are positioned so *he* can best hear the whistle.

Paperclip
10/8/2007, 08:19 PM

It appeared to hit the heel of another Longhorn trying to get away from the ball. But I've only seen that play from the Sooner end zone so I could be mistaken.

A Sooner in Texas
10/8/2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think the rules require all refs to flap their arms in unison like an eagle or something. Again, whistles have served us since the dawn of football, and there was about three seconds of repeated whistling before English forearm-shivered him high on the body, instead of a form tackle. Nobody can prove that he heard/didn't hear; nobody can prove he was thinking about getting licks in on a QB coming off a concussion, but it sure smells fishy, and a flag would have a) made sure no one would think that way and b) been the subject of no argument at all.

Aero can explain how a potential injury play, when there's a defensive motive to knock him out of the game, is a "non-issue" (note: *I* am not saying this play decided the game or anything like that -- though for a late hit after a false start whistle, UT just moved back for the false start).

And Maguire is a tool for jumping in after one second to say it was all OK. As if the refs are positioned so *he* can best hear the whistle.

So it's English's fault he didn't hear the whistle and the ref in his line of vision didn't signal the play was dead? Man, we're good, but we're not psychic...yet.

101sooner
10/8/2007, 08:33 PM

Well, except for the fact that it's obvious that he was right.

If you disagree, please explain the pancake block by the UT offensive lineman AFTER Colt was hit.

Soonerwolf
10/8/2007, 08:33 PM
I agree. I don't think he heard the whistle, but we still should have gotten a flag. He could have REALLY hurt Colt on that play.

Guys - This is the RRR - players are pumped and since OU has many players from across the border - these kids are usually very juiced for this game especially. Give him a break . . . he is all of what - 19 or 20 years of age. And why are you worried about Colt McCoy in the first place - maybe a better question than should OU have been flagged . . .

bstuff1979
10/8/2007, 08:37 PM
Heh, actually, initially the crowd got quieter, probably because a lot of us thought we were going to get flagged for the late hit.

Then two of the OU coaches on the sideline went bat**** waving at the crowd to make some noise, and the crowd obliged. :)

Actually, I think we (the OU portion of sec. 5) got a little quiet because we thought that little Colt might be dead. That was after the initial 5 seconds of cheering/screaming. In relation to this, after an English sack that was sometime in the late 3rd to mid 4th quarter I was a bit unhappy with the Mack'ers. So, English hits Opie McAppleMajorCoy. Hits him good. Then, Colt wabbles, weebles, but does not fall down. I'm legitimatly concerned for the guy's well being. My little brother was in some college atheletics at West Point, and they had him flat out barred from all contact sports after his 5th concussion. So, I'm a little curious as to why Mack wouldn't even second guess throwing in McCoy after a hit that leaves him woozy to say the least. Isn't that just as bad as a late hit, if not worse?

TopDawg
10/8/2007, 08:43 PM

Then we downed it with 1 second left. Longhorn football.

TopDawg
10/8/2007, 08:48 PM
I'll say it again...late hit? Yes.
Personal foul? No.

The hit came late because it was well after the play was blown dead. It wasn't a personal foul because the refs understood why it happened. To wit, Colt McCoy was still bouncing around like he was about to throw the ball, meaning he didn't hear the whistle either and the ref closest to the play did not hear the whistle so he wasn't aware the play was dead.

If a player steps out of bounds by a few inches and the back judge begins running in blowing his whistle from 30 yards away but the runner keeps running in the field of play and then gets tackled, they're probably not going to flag the defender, especially if the official nearest the play wasn't blowing it dead. Technically it's a late hit because it came well after the play was blown dead. But is it a personal foul? Probably not.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/8/2007, 09:08 PM
i didnt hear the whistle, was yelling hell yeah good hit he beat the **** out of mccoy and then it was a dead ball, but i still loved the hit

101sooner
10/8/2007, 09:20 PM
Well, except for the fact that it's obvious that he was right.

If you disagree, please explain the pancake block by the UT offensive lineman AFTER Colt was hit.

Here's the link again.

The Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byZiJj4Vxw)

Soonerus
10/8/2007, 09:21 PM
You guys need to give this up, it is history, no penalty...that's it...

NorthernIowaSooner
10/8/2007, 09:23 PM
the texas lineman didnt seem to stop blocking english just got by them and colt started hearing in his head "you can ring my bell, ring my bell"

SoonerBOI
10/8/2007, 09:24 PM
Breaks of the game.:D

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 09:56 PM

Okay, I guess BY THE BOOK, it doesn't matter if English heard the whistle or not.

Of course, BY THE BOOK, you also have an assload of personal fouls for all of the people hitting each other when the ball is dead, and a penalty for Colt advancing the ball after it being blown dead.

Apply "everything" (offsetting the obvious personal fouls in the form of the late hit on Colt and the late hit off of the pancake), and I think you guys end up with an extra five yard penalty.

Give it up. It was the right call.

Soonerus
10/8/2007, 09:58 PM
history....

47straight
10/8/2007, 09:59 PM

The refs may not be positioned so he can hear best, but those low-paid communications majors with "ESPN CREW" on their backs holding the parabolic discs ARE positioned so that he and we can hear the whistles and other game sounds loud and clear. The players and other refs don't have the magic that is television during the game.

jwlynn64
10/9/2007, 12:22 PM

I agree. It's English's fault that the crowd was so loud he and the Ref next to McCoy couldn't hear the whistle. :rolleyes:

I was in Section 30 and it took everyone one near me about 20 seconds to realize that we didn't get a sack.

By the way, it is not English's responsibility to watch the officials to see if they are calling the play dead. It is the officials responsibility to make sure all the players know the play is over.

Your assertion that you believe the otherwise makes me sad for you. What a crappy world you must live it where you constantly look to assign blame for everything that doesn't happen as expected.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2007, 12:48 PM
By the way, it is not English's responsibility to watch the officials to see if they are calling the play dead. It is the officials responsibility to make sure all the players know the play is over.

That's the point Saxet fans can't seem to comprehend. "Play through the whistle" means, play through the whistle. If English doesn't hear it, and the Referee doesn't hear it, and McCoy doesn't hear it (which watching the replay it's obvious none of them did) who is most responsible? Answer: The Referee. Now I know it's Saxet fan's job to say that OU is a bunch of land-thieiving, intent to injure, cheaters hell bent on the destruction of western civilization and it's OU fan's job to say that Saxet is a bunch of tea-sippin', pink panty wearin' sissies who can't take a hit and are responsible for 96% of the world's ills, but in reality the onus is on the Referee. It is the job of the Referee to protect the QB in situations such as those and quite simply his old *** didn't hear the whistle coming from an off-angle until it was too late. If the Referee heard the Linesman's whistle and blows the play dead in a more efficient manner, then yes, it's a late hit. If that EXACT same play took place between UAB & Middle Tennessee State on a Friday night game with 842 people in the stands you bet your *** it's a flag. But due to circumstances like the 100+ decibels that were being pumped into the Ref's ear, he didn't hear the initial whistle, didn't respond fast enough to protect Colt and Colt got the **** knocked out of him. Was it unfortunate that it happened? Yes. Was it a dirty play? No.

Funky G
10/9/2007, 12:51 PM

Video shows without question that the players on that side kept playing. Irrefutable evidence, and had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Mack should throw a bigger fit when his players break the law..

aero
10/9/2007, 01:16 PM

Potential. Exactly my point. Harp on one play that had little to no bearing on the game. Isn't there a saying about if's and but's. The whorns POTENTIALLY would have had more players on their roster IF there were only no laws. The whorns POTENTIALLY could have won IF there was just more time and IF they could have scored more. Careful, you're entering aggie territory. Yes, I'm quite convinced Bob told BV to watch for the whorns jumping the count and to send English on a bomb raid. That's just how good this staff is. As far as Maguire, he was only calling it as he seen it and it was in real time, immediately after the play, not 20 minutes later after he reviewed film and thought about it. Let it go.

josh09
10/9/2007, 01:35 PM
Here's the link again.

The Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9byZiJj4Vxw)

The only reason flutie said that was because he was a QB himself, so he thinks he knows how it feels.

TopDawg
10/9/2007, 01:42 PM
Part of an email from one of my friends in Austin:

Interview with Colt today on the radio….people have been saying that English was trying to hurt him, etc…….Colt stepped up and said, a)I’m tougher than that b) Austin and I played high school ball against each other for four years and we’re good buddies c) it was so loud, no one could hear. D) I didn’t hear the whistle even….

Jdog
10/9/2007, 02:22 PM
Good to hear that McCoy had the class to come out and say what he said.

It's funny, this all reminds me of a pro game last year, I think it was at the end of a playoff game, where VYoung was sort of in the grasp and he whispered to the d-lineman, who had a hold him, that the whistle had blown. The lineman let go - and VY was down the field for a big gain.

------
As for the side bars about the punt just before half. The ruling on the field was -Texas was guilty of running into the kicker which we declined; but that the ball had bounced and touched a shorthorn's leg, and was picked up by a sooner who ran out of bounds after time had expired.
------
And the fumbled reception that the sooner picked up took down to the 3 or 4 yard line was not reviewable because the play had been blown dead before the ball was advanced.
------Bottom line - the game was poorly officiated

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2007, 02:40 PM
Jdog, the official game stats only show two 'Horn turnovers.

Your last point is exactly correct. As I said above, the only result from a review would have been a 'Horn completion and first down.