PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Sooner Tulsa Sushi Recommendation:

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2007, 02:21 PM
OK, while I was in the City of Hills and Trees, I was talked into going to a sushi joint. Now, I love sushi, I just had a hard time thinking that sushi that was a few states away from the ocean was going to be good.

I was incorrect.

In the Raw was one of the better sushi joints I've been to. I highly recommend it. The menu was varied and well-put-together, the fish was fresh (flown in daily, I guess) and the prices (considering the provenance of the food) were reasonable. In particular, the maguro and hamachi stood out as excellent.

NormanPride
10/8/2007, 02:26 PM
ITR has some tasty concoctions. I'm a bigger fan of Sushi Train, myself.

IB4OU2
10/8/2007, 02:29 PM
Tsunami's is really good.

LilSooner
10/8/2007, 02:48 PM
Tsunami sushi hands down the best sushi that I have had in this state. It RMFO!

Hamhock
10/8/2007, 02:48 PM
OK, while I was in the City of Hills and Trees, I was talked into going to a sushi joint. Now, I love sushi, I just had a hard time thinking that sushi that was a few states away from the ocean was going to be good.

I was incorrect.

In the Raw was one of the better sushi joints I've been to. I highly recommend it. The menu was varied and well-put-together, the fish was fresh (flown in daily, I guess) and the prices (considering the provenance of the food) were reasonable. In particular, the maguro and hamachi stood out as excellent.

you're not the first person, that should live near better seafood, i've heard say this. i had a buddy in from maryland say the same thing.

Oldnslo
10/8/2007, 02:58 PM
ITR is one of my favorite restaraunts.

OklahomaTuba
10/8/2007, 02:59 PM
ITR cannot compare to Tsunami. We have people from our office in Tokyo that think Tsunami is good.

The guy who owns Tsunami opened one up in Vegas at the Bellagio I believe.

yermom
10/8/2007, 03:00 PM
is Tsunami downtown?

i think i went there before a show at Cain's once

OklahomaTuba
10/8/2007, 03:06 PM
Yuppers.

Also one at the river walk in Jenks.

The ITR location on Shadow Mtn. has a kick *** view though.

bri
10/8/2007, 03:10 PM
Ah, I miss the Shadow Mountain Full Moon Cafe...

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2007, 03:38 PM
ITR cannot compare to Tsunami. We have people from our office in Tokyo that think Tsunami is good.

I'll have to check out Tsunami next time I'm down there then.

CobraKai
10/8/2007, 03:43 PM

I was incorrect.

The owner of ITR is apparently a little eccentric, but it is quite good. They are apparently opening one in the Bellagio, although they apparently liked his name/atmosphere as much as his recipes.

Regarding fly-over country sushi, many people are skeptical. I used to be as well, until I had a sushi chef in California joke that there salmon comes from as far away as our salmon...just because you are sitting on an ocean does not mean your fish is not flown in.

NormanPride
10/8/2007, 05:19 PM
I still like getting my sushi off a little thing that goes "choo choo!"...

picasso
10/8/2007, 05:23 PM

There is such a thing as Americanized sushi. That is why I thoroughly enjoy ITR and want to chug a loogie when I go to Tsunami.

Chuck Bao
10/8/2007, 05:57 PM
It seems to me that flying in fresh fish is very expensive. There is also the issue of clearing out old expensive fish inventory not consumed the previous day. Therefore, my yardstick on measuring the quality and price value of a sashimi and sushi joint would be the amount of customer traffic. If a place is booked out for a few days in advance, it most likely should be okay. On the other hand, if you go into a sashimi / sushi bar and there are only a few people there, turn around and walk away.

Regardless of the freshness, there could still be problems.

Never, ever order home delivery sashimi during the summer months.

Okla-homey
10/8/2007, 06:25 PM
ITR is one of my favorite restaraunts.

ditto. And the view is incomparable. If I ever hit powerball, I'd buy that hilltop and build the Rancho De Homey up there.

Petro-Sooner
10/8/2007, 06:34 PM
Being a hillbilly I'll go ahead and ask. Whats sashimi?

I tried raw fish at a place here in Norman. Just didnt do it for me. Being my first time I wanted to try a lot of different things. 25 bucks later I was still hungry and a little grossed out. But now I can say I've tried.

Mjcpr
10/8/2007, 06:36 PM

Raw stuff.

It's like a really, really thin slice of raw whatever....tuna, beef, whatever.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2007, 06:50 PM

I tried raw fish at a place here in Norman. Just didnt do it for me. Being my first time I wanted to try a lot of different things. 25 bucks later I was still hungry and a little grossed out. But now I can say I've tried.

Sashimi is a little slice of raw fish.

Nigiri sushi is a slice of sashimi on a bullet of rice with wasabi.

Not exact, but good enough for gov't work.

Xstnlsooner
10/9/2007, 10:14 AM
ITR always has lots of beuuuuuuuuutiful wimmens dining there tooooo!

JohnnyMack
10/9/2007, 10:19 AM
Tsunami is OK.

In the Raw is better.

yermom
10/9/2007, 11:13 AM

heh. "a lot of different things" isn't really the way i'd go with sushi

some of the stuff on the menu reaks of "i wonder if we can con someone into ordering this"

i mean raw quail eggs? really?

boomersooner28
10/9/2007, 12:23 PM
ITR has a blackened salmon fillet that will rock your face completely off...just sayin.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/9/2007, 05:30 PM

For many first timers, I'd suggest ordering dishes that are cooked, rather than the raw fish. Usually there are many maki or teriyaki dishes which are cooked.

Okla-homey
10/9/2007, 07:02 PM
For many first timers, I'd suggest ordering dishes that are cooked, rather than the raw fish. Usually there are many maki or teriyaki dishes which are cooked.

I never met anyone who doesn't like tempura. ITR does that great too.