PDA

View Full Version : OU's Special Teams ?

OklaUalum
10/8/2007, 11:37 AM
Does any one else think we really need to improve here before it really comes to bit us in the ***?

So far this season we've had a gaff in this area in every game. We've had snaps over the punter's head, missed field goal attempts, dropped balls on the kicks, etc. What is so amazing is now good we were on this last year. The decline is certainly noticeable to me, what about you folks?

MextheBulldog
10/8/2007, 11:41 AM
Certainly before saxet we had issues covering punts. Looks like they solved that problem for the most part though.

Boomer.....
10/8/2007, 11:44 AM
I can't figure out for the life of me what has happened to Hartley. He was automatic last year.

snp
10/8/2007, 11:50 AM
I can't figure out for the life of me what has happened to Hartley. He was automatic last year.

He hurt his groin trying to make a tackle in the Colorado game.

OklaUalum
10/8/2007, 11:52 AM
Hartley missed one in the Miami game, too.

OklaUalum
10/8/2007, 11:55 AM
We are also giving up huge yardage to other teams on their punt returns, holding and block in the back calls on our good returns...

Startin' to concern this Sooner fan. I'm one of those who strongly believes field position is a key to winning a ball game.

jeremy885
10/8/2007, 12:03 PM
Certainly before saxet we had issues covering punts. Looks like they solved that problem for the most part though.

didn't solve the coverage problem on kick returns. What was the average tx starting field position, the 45? I was concerned that Cosby (or what the whorn's name is) was going to run one back.

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 12:09 PM
I think we are good at kicking right now. Our problems over the past couple of years in our kicking game has usually been our return team isn't good. But our coverage is usually good and our kicking is usually good. This year our coverage hasn't been good the last 2 games. Hartley's missed a few but I think he's a fine kicker. Our punting has been pretty solid also. Just need to be smarter in coverage. I'm not really concerned with our return game.

sooner518
10/8/2007, 12:20 PM
Does any one else think we really need to improve here before it really comes to bit us in the ***?

it already bit us in the *** once in Boulder!

OklaUalum
10/8/2007, 12:28 PM
What bit us in the *** in Boulder was we didn't play 60 minutes of football on offense and 60 minutes of football on defense. Game shouldn't come down to needing a kick to win or tie.

I agree though, the kick woulda been nice, but....

I'm just wondering if anyone else has taken note, and is concerned too.
Informal poll, I guess

soonergirlNeugene
10/8/2007, 03:26 PM
I thought our coverage team needed the most work.

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 03:38 PM
It is time to pull the redshirt off Jimmy Stevens and give him some kicks. He was the all-everything kicker from Heritage Hall. Nothing personal against Hartley, he's just in a slump and unreliable right now.

snp
10/8/2007, 03:51 PM
It is time to pull the redshirt off Jimmy Stevens and give him some kicks. He was the all-everything kicker from Heritage Hall. Nothing personal against Hartley, he's just in a slump and unreliable right now.

Disagree 1000000%.

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 04:00 PM
Disagree 1000000%.

Why?

snp
10/8/2007, 07:15 PM
Why?

You don't burn a RS because a 4-year starter, Lou Groza finalist is struggling. Have faith, Hartley will come around.

True freshman kickers scare me.

GoTigers
10/8/2007, 07:19 PM
If the coverage is bad, Jeremy Maclin will rip it up. He leads the nation in all purpose yards

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 08:26 PM
You don't burn a RS because a 4-year starter, Lou Groza finalist is struggling. Have faith, Hartley will come around.

True freshman kickers scare me.

Erratic kickers scare me. Now's the time to start breaking one in so later on in the season when it comes down to it we have options if Hartley is still shaky. He has one job to do. Kick the ball. Very black and white compared to other positions.

snp
10/8/2007, 08:41 PM
Erratic kickers scare me. Now's the time to start breaking one in so later on in the season when it comes down to it we have options if Hartley is still shaky. He has one job to do. Kick the ball. Very black and white compared to other positions.

How do you know Stevens isn't erratic?

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 09:15 PM
I don't. Let's find out. I do know Hartley is.

snp
10/8/2007, 10:05 PM
I don't. Let's find out. I do know Hartley is.

This is where I get to play my trump card. Stoops knows way better than both of us so let's defer to him.

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 10:23 PM
don't be surprised to see another kicker splitting time with Hartley this weekend on extra points.

SoonerSloan
10/8/2007, 10:40 PM
maybe he'd kick a little better if he didnt have to make so many tackles because our coverage isnt very good? how many tackles or assists has he had this year? not a bad tackler for a kicker though