PDA

View Full Version : OU/Tex Weekend

stunandun
10/8/2007, 11:11 AM
Anything you can share. From the drive up, the West end, The Game, or after the game. Would love to hear about it.

schlanker
10/8/2007, 12:07 PM
At last years game I found a carney that was selling beers 2 for $5 cash. (He was putting it in his pocket probably making a cool G.) I was so happy to see him again this year in the exact same tent. I hate waiting in that line to buy tickets.

Hope to see him again next year.

stunandun
10/8/2007, 03:10 PM
I sat on the couch and screamed at the TV until we won. Special teams were not so special. Held my breath every time we kicked.

ouwapiti
10/8/2007, 03:29 PM
you couldnt've pulled a pin outta my butt with a john deere tractor during the 4th quarter!!!!!

BermudaSooner
10/8/2007, 03:41 PM
Really really humid and tense game. I took my pulse in the 4th quarter--it was 130 and I hadn't left my seat for 3 hours.

Somebody stole one of my brand new OU magnets from the side of my car while in the valet lot of the Adolphus. Give it back.

Most Texas fans were fine--saw a few loud mouths up on a balcony as we walked west back to the car. Yelling at OU fans to go back to our weak beer state, telling us we suck. My yelling back at them about how classy they were shut them up for a few seconds.

jwlynn64
10/8/2007, 03:48 PM
As I was leaving the fair, some guy wearing Texas apparel, walked up to me and asked what time it was. As I was answering him, he said something about Oklahoma sucking and ran off. Is that some type of lame joke and what exactly was he saying?

BermudaSooner, did you magnet maybe fall off on the drive down? I lost one that way last year driving up.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/8/2007, 03:52 PM
Well, as I had posted before, I bought tix for my buddy for his 40th. He is as big an OU fan as me, yet this is the one game he had never been to, despite multiple road trips to Norman, Lincoln, Manhattan, etc. I had wanted him and his lady to go down and have fun for the weekend, but they insisted I go down because they thought the gift was too extravagant. I relented simply because nobody else wanted to make the trip with him because he is terrified of flying. He was going to drive one way or the other, and I couldn't make him drive alone. So... Off we went.

I told him to have his thick skin buckled on because of how chippy it gets, and neither of us were really wanting to get in a squabble. So we went out Friday night to the Uptown area just ready to catch a ration of poo.

However, reality was my bud and I were treated very well by Texas fans wherever we went. In fact, it was my first time at the game where they were, dare I say, respectful and/or friendly? Of course we returned the favor. Seriously, we both bought drinks for and had drinks bought for us by Tex-exes. Good banter all night, but we witnessed nothing on either side that crossed the line. It was a little eerie. But much better than previous experiences.

Of course we did get our tires slashed in the hotel parking lot. Kid you not. But, we don't think it was because of our OU gear. In fact we really didn't have any on the car except in the back seat. Just an act of vandalism. Someone got drunk and stupid and saw Minnesota plates. Good thing it was a rental. Avis's problem, not ours. BTW, I would recommend Avis to anyone based on how fast they responded and got us back up and running. We discovered it in the morning about an hour before we wanted to leave for the State Fair. They had it completely resolved in about two hours. So we left an hour later than we wanted, but they had in that time gotten a service guy there, then a tow truck, and then another car dropped off for us.

Now the additional two hours sitting in traffic since the idots that run Dallas in all their wisdom decided to close two of the major exits to Fair Park kinda was teh succ. But we still got there in time to walk around a bit and have a couple or three brews, and meet up with some other great folks who happen to call this board their home.

Then... What. A. Game. ABC should be put in jail. They absolutely robbed about a third of the people in this country from witnessing the greatest spectacle in all of college football. And then... What. A. Win.

Though, at this point we did witness one embarrasing act by a Sooner... one of those guys-like-that-give-us-a-bad-name moments. As is typical, the little girls manning the concessions area were giving their little hand gestures and saying "OU sucks" and such. Well after they were going on a bit, this guy that must have been in his 60's or so, cuts back against the grain of the crowd and goes over to them and shouts at them, "You're stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!" The started cackling, "Heh-heh! Heh! Heh-heh! Heh!" , like he had lit them up with the all-time greatest comeback. We wondered if he was mildly retarded. I would have rather he, like everyone else in the crowd, just wear his perma-grin and get the hell out of the stadium.

But then, getting out this year seemed to go pretty smoothly. It probably only took us 30-45 minutes to get back to the hotel. And then, as we went out to eat after the game, we saw that Wisconsin went down, then watched USC fall, then the LoSuRs, then the Callenbergers. Only a Florida win could have made it even better still. But the emotion once my head hit the pillow was... elation.

All in all a GREAT trip.... give or take the 30 hours in the car it took to get us there and back. But yeah, I'd do it all over again.

BOOMER SOONER!

BEAT MIZZOU!