PDA

View Full Version : THE KING SPEAKS

PLaw
10/8/2007, 11:05 AM
In article written by Kevin Sherrington on quickdfw.com:

No matter what else you might think about Barry Switzer, a man who rarely inspires ambivalence, he plays no favorites.

Did you get his take on today's parties in the Cotton Bowl?

"Texas hasn't played well all year," he said, and he was just getting warmed up. "They haven't found an identity on offense. They don't have a running game. They have quarterback problems.

"I don't know what they're trying to do."

The former OU coach also said he was worried about Colt McCoy's concussion, or whatever Texas is calling it, and he worries what'll happen if McCoy plays and gets hurt again.

And Oklahoma? The Sooners don't get off easy, either. Switzer says Bob Stoops has done a great job, but he's lost too many games in which he's been a double-digit favorite. He also questioned Oklahoma's senior leadership.

And, oh, yes, just for the heck of it, he called the Big 12 "horrible."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Not that I should ever question the King, but he should take it easy on Bob. As I recall, the King lost quiet a few where he was heavily favored and one of those cost OU a National Championship, just sayin'.

Here's the link to the story: http://www.topix.com/ncaa/texas-football/2007/10/switzers-thoughts-on-texas-ou-showdown-right-on

BOOMER
PLaw

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 11:09 AM
Here's an outstanding interview that the Tulsa World did with Switzer:

Switzer at 70: Talking Life
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?articleID=071007_2_B4_hBarr76105

StuIsTheMan
10/8/2007, 11:12 AM
I don't know if I like your tone Plaw...JUST SAY'N...
BACK OFF THE KING MAN....JUST BACK OFF!

douxpaysan
10/8/2007, 11:29 AM
Switzer has earned the right to say what ever he wants to say, so quit bagging on him.:mad:

DrZaius
10/8/2007, 11:35 AM
The King is the King and you don't ever doubt the King and when you do you get beheaded.....just sayin :)

stoopified
10/8/2007, 11:56 AM
I can't believe Barry would say that,he knows better.Maybe a few lowlights from his areer as favorite will jog his memory that it ain't easy even as a big favorite.
1975 L 3-23 to KU
1978 OB L 6-31 Ark
1980 L 14-31 Stanford
1981 L 27-41 W.Virginia

My intent is not to Bash Barry but remind him and anyone who would defend his comments against Bob that Barry lost upsets too.In all these games Barry was favored comfortably and lost BIG.You will notice that this only covers Barry's first 9 seasons,same as Bob currently.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/8/2007, 12:27 PM
I can't believe Barry would say that,he knows better.Maybe a few lowlights from his areer as favorite will jog his memory that it ain't easy even as a big favorite.
1975 L 3-23 to KU
1978 OB L 6-31 Ark
1980 L 14-31 Stanford
1981 L 27-41 W.Virginia

My intent is not to Bash Barry but remind him and anyone who would defend his comments against Bob that Barry lost upsets too.In all these games Barry was favored comfortably and lost BIG.You will notice that this only covers Barry's first 9 seasons,same as Bob currently.I would bet that Switzer would admit he made some significant coaching errors, especially those you mentioned. No big deal He's always been pretty candid, no?

stoopified
10/8/2007, 01:20 PM
I would bet that Switzer would admit he made some significant coaching errors, especially those you mentioned. No big deal He's always been pretty candid, no?
True he has always been candidand Iam sure he would admit he blew these games.I just find it out of character for Switzer to take shots at another coach especially Bob.Knowing Barry he proably was being flippant but the media will spin it as criticism and that is how I took it as well.It could be that now that is an ANALYST and not just an ex coah we will hear more negativity from him.

XingTheRubicon
10/8/2007, 01:28 PM
1975 L 3-23 to KU
1978 OB L 6-31 Ark
1980 L 14-31 Stanford
1981 L 27-41 W.Virginia

My intent is not to Bash Barry but remind him and anyone who would defend his comments against Bob that Barry lost upsets too.In all these games Barry was favored comfortably and lost BIG.You will notice that this only covers Barry's first 9 seasons,same as Bob currently.

Barry was 18-1 in games decided by 3 points or less.

He can say whatever he wants.

Stoops is 4-6, btw in games decided by 3 points or less.

85Sooner
10/8/2007, 04:25 PM
1975 L 3-23 to KU
1978 OB L 6-31 Ark
1980 L 14-31 Stanford
1981 L 27-41 W.Virginia

i THINK Barry was referring to times when OU had double digit leads in a game and then lost the game. (as opposed to losing a game you were supposed to win. FWIW

Sooner1979
10/8/2007, 04:34 PM

He can say whatever he wants.

Stoops is 4-6, btw in games decided by 3 points or less.

Oh yeah, well, Bob Stoops is undefeated when the game is decided by a margin of 40 or more points....(It is supposed to be a joke) - But still is true...

Landthief 1972
10/8/2007, 04:57 PM
Don't pick on a 70-year-old kid! COME AFTER ME! I'M A MAN! I'M 35! [hairGel]

stoopified
10/8/2007, 06:19 PM
i THINK Barry was referring to times when OU had double digit leads in a game and then lost the game. (as opposed to losing a game you were supposed to win. FWIW
READ THE ARTICLE /B arys says Bob has lost too many GAMES WHERE HE WAS A DOUBLE DIGIT FAVORITE.Direct quote.

Ing,did you just say Barry can say what he wants becuse he is 18-1 in 3 point games?What does that have to do wth Barry's crticism of Bob for not winning games where he is a clear favorite?If he was criticizing him for losing CLOSE games,OK I see your point but he wasn't.Barry as I pointed out in my earlier post lost games where he was comfortably favored too,including a game aginst a relatively unknown QB named John Elway and a mediocre (6-5)Stanford team 31-14.

For what its wort while I
never checked 3 point win-loss records Barry is 19-4 in games decided by less than a TD,while Bob is 7-6That stat is irrelevant in this debate as it is about losing games you are FAVORED to win,not losing close games.

As for letting Barry say whatever he wants because he won 157 games,OK but he is the one who recommended Gary Gibbs and John Blake as HC.Not evrything he says is golden as I've proven.

Blue
10/8/2007, 06:26 PM
Barry also didn't have to deal w/ the scholly limitations. Barry had kansas's 2007 first team on the bench.

Redgiant2
10/8/2007, 06:35 PM
I think that Barry has done more in his 70 years with the game of football than any of us will ever even dream of, and those who choose to criticize him should sit the **** down and shut the **** up because you're just some moron on a message board. Just sayin'...

stoopified
10/8/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know how this turned into a love Bob or love Barry debate.I love both because of what they have done and are doing for OU.I would give either a kidney,lung or bone marrow.My point was that Barry had no room to critcize Bob for losing games when he was a big favorite as Switzer teams did so too.

For those who don't realize how much I love Barry,check out my thread on How many Sooner fans don't like Barry Switzer? I defend the man passionately but in this case THE KING was WRONG.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 06:44 PM
My point was that Barry had no room to critcize Bob for losing games when he was a big favorite as Switzer teams did so too.

Sure he does. Just because he screwed up in the same way doesn't mean he's incapable of identifying it as a problem.

stoopified
10/8/2007, 06:54 PM
Sure he does. Just because he screwed up in the same way doesn't mean he's incapable of identifying it as a problem.
Does that go back to TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE logic? :)

jeremy885
10/8/2007, 06:58 PM
I doubt Bob will have one of these in his career.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/CharlesThompsonSI-01.jpg/200px-CharlesThompsonSI-01.jpg

:rolleyes:

freshchris05
10/8/2007, 07:02 PM
^^ please don't

barry will always be barry and he has always said what is on his mind...

Blue
10/8/2007, 07:03 PM
I think that Barry has done more in his 70 years with the game of football than any of us will ever even dream of, and those who choose to criticize him should sit the **** down and shut the **** up because you're just some moron on a message board. Just sayin'...

I don't think I saw anyone on this thread bash Barry. By your rep, it looks like you should STFU.

En_Fuego
10/8/2007, 07:07 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/CharlesThompsonSI-01.jpg/200px-CharlesThompsonSI-01.jpg

I bet Bob wont have 3 MNC in his career. And Switzer could have had 7

Switzer can say whatever he wants........period

jeremy885
10/8/2007, 07:16 PM
Do you not remember the death penalty years? I'm shocked that we didn't end up like SMU's program after the crap that went on during his last couple of years.

Vaevictis
10/8/2007, 07:23 PM
Does that go back to TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE logic? :)

Heh.

Not really, just saying that you know, just because it's the pot calling the kettle black, it doesn't mean that the kettle isn't actually black ;)

stoopified
10/8/2007, 08:07 PM
Please don't turn this into Barry > Bob thread or Bob >Barry thread.That is not the pont.The point was Barry criticized Bob for a shortcoming that he (Barry) was also guilty of(losing to teams when heavily favored).I think that type of cricism is both hypocritical and self-serving.It gives the impression that the same sort of thing never hapened to Barry and it most certainly did.It is self-serving because it genrates pub fo Barry the ananlyst because he is a former OU coach taking a shot at a current OU coach.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2007, 09:51 PM
Barry didn't complain that Bob lost games where he was heavily favored. He said he lost TOO MANY.

So does anyone have a statistical comparison?

Crucifax Autumn
10/9/2007, 12:11 AM

Not sure what the actual number is, but thanks to Fred Akers being a ***** it's at least 18-1-1.

goingoneight
10/9/2007, 01:30 AM
Switzer is an analyst now, so he has to be fair... we have lost some games we shouldn't have lost. And one of them (Fiesta Bowl) made Switzer look like an *** for predicting us to win big. Think that's not still on his mind?

Still, that said... Bob and Barry are still very good friends according to Bob's show, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't bother Stoops to hear the facts.

Name one coach right now who hasn't lost a game he should have won comfortably?

Pete Carroll? Doh, sorry UCLA, Oregon State and Stanford.
Les Miles? Doh, sorry life... and Tennessee... and a handful of BIG 12 games you had in the bag.
Urban Meyer... you know... he's not a "new" coach. Good one, but still human. And more than stock-piled enough with talent to beat a bad Auburn team on your home field.
Hmmm... Mack Brown? DOH!!! No need to explain.

goingoneight
10/9/2007, 01:36 AM
It also should be said that the game has changed a lot since Barry was at OU.

We're in the same conference as Texas now, so they can knock us out of the Championship race, which knocks us out of the BCS.

Barry never had someone telling him he could only have 83 scholarship players. He had kids every year who waited years to play in the crimson and cream. Stoops plays more games per year, too. Is this a discredit to Switzer? Not in the slightest. It is saying that they're both human, and both did or are doing remarkable jobs in their profession.

AzianSooner
10/9/2007, 01:40 AM
Coach who has 1 NC can curse.
Coach who has 2 NCs can curse and spit
Coach who has 3 NCs can curse, spit , and kick all he wants because he is legend.

SoonerEmpire
10/9/2007, 01:41 AM
I personally don't have a problem with what Barry said. I agree with Stoopified, in that we shouldn't turn this into a Bob vs. Barry thread. They're both professional, and I'm sure they're both still great friends. I don't necessarily think that Switzer was giving any unwarranted criticism, so much as he was just making true statements. I don't recall reading any quotes from Barry that were personal insults to Bob. So, lets be honest. Most games that we lose (although that's few and far apart), just about every one of us says we shouldn't have lost whether we were favored or not. So lets not bash Barry. Did he lose games that he wasn't supposed to lose and was favored by double digits? Of course! And Barry would be the first to tell you that.

This is a non-story, folks! Lets not continue to make it out to be more than it actually was.

goingoneight
10/9/2007, 01:46 AM
I remember when I was a little kid, older people said Switzer was "rude" and kept complaining that he was "no Bud Wilkinson (my grandparents in particular)." They didn't like his mannerisms, his language or his composure. But my grandpa sure as hell learned to appreciate him when he won a Super Bowl and the Sooners were getting in dogfights with the likes of OSU for last place in the conference.

Barry said John Blake was a solid hire. Sometimes, guys have an opinion. Sometimes they're right... sometimes they're wrong. Don't go attacking a guy who brings your team championships. That goes for everyone bashing Stoops and Switzer.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2007, 02:39 AM
Barry never had someone telling him he could only have 83 scholarship players.

Wasn't the 85-scholarship rule in effect during Barry's 1985 championship?

boomersooner28
10/9/2007, 03:15 AM
The King is right.....ALWAYS!!!!!!!

The end.

Redgiant2
10/9/2007, 03:22 AM
I don't think I saw anyone on this thread bash Barry. By your rep, it looks like you should STFU.
Do you honestly think I give a flying **** what you or anyone else in here thinks about what I say? Are you so narcissistic as to think your opinion actually matters? Grow up and quit acting like a 12 year old girl that just had the head ripped from her Barbie doll.

101sooner
10/9/2007, 03:34 AM
Wasn't the 85-scholarship rule in effect during Barry's 1985 championship?

It was unlimited until '72, then 105 until the late '70's, then 95 in the early '80's. 85 happened in the early '90's.

OU Adonis
10/9/2007, 04:00 AM

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZIH3lC78641XZM:http://www.bigredsports.com/images/Picture/2007/January/main-bigred-top.jpg

http://www.newsok.com/tempimages/s18dusty03.jpg

Bob has had his issues too. The difference is Switzer ****ed off the NCAA.

MamaMia
10/9/2007, 11:13 AM
Its impossible to even try to compare Switzer and Stoops considering one was in diapers when the other one was winning football games. We're talking about two great coaches who dealt with totally different football eras. Each era has a completely different set of circumstances associated with them.

douxpaysan
10/9/2007, 12:08 PM
Bob has had his issues too. The difference is Switzer ****ed off the NCAA.
Switzer's enemies were much closer than the NCAA, they were shamefully right on campus.

Blue
10/9/2007, 02:08 PM
Do you honestly think I give a flying **** what you or anyone else in here thinks about what I say? Are you so narcissistic as to think your opinion actually matters? Grow up and quit acting like a 12 year old girl that just had the head ripped from her Barbie doll.

You obviously care otherwise you wouldn't be having such a hissy-fit.

Take a look in the mirror, Jackoff.

StoopTroup
10/9/2007, 02:23 PM
I bet Bob wont have 3 MNC in his career. And Switzer could have had 7

I guess you may have missed that Bob has been to the show 3 times already so he could have had 3 already....

Saying that an active Coach who has one MNC won't get 3 and and is competing every year for another one is truely asinine.

You really ought to rethink yourself on that one.

douxpaysan
10/10/2007, 12:14 AM
Point being Coach Switzer is now an "anal-yst", that is what they do, pull things out of their rears. Is he supposed to sugarcoat it for all you sunshine pumpers? No...he has the right to brag on OSU's new facilities, be critical of the big12 and yes even critque Coach Stoops. Now you don't have to agree with him...but disrespect Barry? No, never. He's a made man.