PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Begins Assault on Recordbooks

stoopified
10/8/2007, 10:18 AM
With his latest game performance Bradford has landed in the Sooner Top 20 CAREER Passing chart at 17th in yardage,10th(T) in TD passes.He lready owns the 2 longest consecutive completions record,having twice broken J.White's previous record of 18(Sam has 21,22).Sam needs 171 yards to move into 16th,596 yards to go into 15(the signifigance here being he would pass Bomar,on both the career chart AND become OU's leading frosh passer).Bradford already broke Bomar's frosh TD pass record of 10 with 11 in his first three games.

Bradford already ranks #1 in career completion % but to be fair,needs to reach 500 attempts to actually qualify.He is currently on pace for 11,000+ yards and 144 TDs for a career.Don't misread me however as I AMNOT saying he will.One needs no better example than AD to realize frosh stats don't project well for a career.IF further proof against projecting is necessary,look at Colt McCoy,he is having a good season but nowhere near his fosh numbers.Having typed those words of caution though does not stop me from wondering WHAT IF and it COULD BE INCREDIBLE.

The kid AMAZES me,I picked him to throw for 2500 yards for THE SEASON and 18-20 TDs.A lot of people thought I was being OVERLY optimistic.What I like most about this guy is he is a TEAM FIRST player.Praise him and he talks about WE did this and WE did that,not I.IF he stays healthy and focused he could rewrite the recordbooks completely.
Reposted this to update.Check last post in thread.

Flying Scotsman
10/8/2007, 10:26 AM
When do his numbers start putting him in contention for Heisman talk?

Texas Golfer
10/8/2007, 10:27 AM
Going into the season, everyone said that OU's only question mark was at the QB position. I think we can now change that question mark into an exclamation point.

CincySooner
10/8/2007, 10:28 AM

next year

stoopified
10/8/2007, 10:49 AM
Going into the season, everyone said that OU's only question mark was at the QB position. I think we can now change that question mark into an exclamation point.
Since everyone called QB a ? for OU coming into the yearI think the most Fitting nickname for Sam is THE ANSWER.

DrZaius
10/8/2007, 10:58 AM
Heisman could be a lock NEXT YEAR. granted that our loine returns along with the rest of the team.

OUmillenium
10/8/2007, 11:30 AM

And place the question mark behind Brent Venables title...

Defensive Coordinator?

ultimatesooner1
10/8/2007, 11:48 AM
Bradford's toughest year will be in 2 years when a bunch of these lineman are gone, hopefully we can rotate enough guys in the next season and a half to have some guys with experience ready to go

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 11:59 AM
Bradford is easily the best freshman QB ever at OU. And he's on his way to being the best ever at OU.

And in 2 years he'll be fine with the class of linemen we have coming in. We'll still have Trent Williams who could be one of our better linemen right now. And I think Simmons will be here also. We'll be fine there. Defense may not be as good though.

KRYPTON
10/8/2007, 12:32 PM
We could see a couple of insanely great performances from him soon.

1. Mizzou: Defense isn't that good, offense might embarrass us a few times. If that happens, we have to keep chugging it downfield. Big Sam #'s.

2. Tech: Same thing. Funny line in the Chronic-ill this morning about how Tech's defense is "revitalized" since Leach fired the DC and the interim guy is doing so well in the two games since. They conveniently ignore the fact that those games were against BAYLOR and IOWA STATE.

3. OSU: Once again. OSU will come out bombing on us, and I don't see them having success in the game but I do see them giving Sam every reason to throw deep downfield.

4. A&M: Depending on the next few weeks A&M might show up in implosion mode. A good friend of mine down here who is a bigtime Aggie feels that his team will not win another game this year. Perhaps pessimistic, but a lot of people are wondering when the wheels fly off.

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 12:39 PM
Mizzou's D is better than Colorado's IMO. May even be better than Texas' in pass defense. I doubt we run well on the outside like we did against Texas. Texas' DBs and Ends were too inexperienced to handle the sweeps. That's not the case with Missouri.

Collier11
10/8/2007, 01:16 PM
Bradford is Jason White post knee injuries IMHO!! NOt fast but def. mobile enough to do damage, although I do think he has a little more shake than JW. He doesnt have a cannon for an arm but has great touch and throws a great deep ball. Obviously he needs to improve his reads and throws under pressure to approach JW's status, but he reminds me alot of him.

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 02:49 PM
I think he's closer to a younger Jason White. Before Jason White tore his knee he was completing about 65% of his passes or something like that. That is higher than his completion % his Heisman year. That was only through 3 games but he was still very accurate. I think Bradford is a less mobile version of White with better accuracy at this stage. Which is amazing. He'll only get better.

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2007, 10:12 PM
Bradford is easily the best freshman QB ever at OU. And he's on his way to being the best ever at OU.

Jamelle Holieway helped win a national title.

Soonerus
10/8/2007, 10:15 PM
Let's wait until the season is over to make comparisons...too early still...

FaninAma
10/8/2007, 10:36 PM
Mizzou's D is better than Colorado's IMO. May even be better than Texas' in pass defense. I doubt we run well on the outside like we did against Texas. Texas' DBs and Ends were too inexperienced to handle the sweeps. That's not the case with Missouri.

No it's not. CU is a top 30 defense. MU is ranked in the 70's and is about 100th in pass defense.

LittleWingSooner
10/8/2007, 11:09 PM
Mizzou has played better teams. Outside of OU Colorado has faced one good offense in Arizona State and they got destroyed in that game. I think the OU/CU game was more of a fluke than anything else. OU wasn't prepared for Colorado and didn't make plays because of that.

OU-HSV
10/8/2007, 11:16 PM
Bradford is Jason White post knee injuries IMHO!! NOt fast but def. mobile enough to do damage, although I do think he has a little more shake than JW. He doesnt have a cannon for an arm but has great touch and throws a great deep ball. Obviously he needs to improve his reads and throws under pressure to approach JW's status, but he reminds me alot of him.
I think Sam's done great at checking off the first and second reciever choices...also, I've seen him stand in the pocket, knowing he's under pressure and going to get hit, he still throws an accurate pass and takes the hit. The first one that comes to mind is one of his td passes to Kelly vs. Miami...and also one of his td passes (I think to Kelly) vs. Texas.
I don't question what he's been doing at all. He's shown to be hella accurate, mobile, and tough. Props to him, let's hope he continues to be successful.

OU-HSV
10/8/2007, 11:18 PM
With his latest game performance Bradford has landed in the Sooner Top 20 CAREER Passing chart at 17th in yardage,10th(T) in TD passes.He lready owns the 2 longest consecutive completions record,having twice broken J.White's previous record of 18(Sam has 21,22).Sam needs 171 yards to move into 16th,596 yards to go into 15(the signifigance here being he would pass Bomar,on both the career chart AND become OU's leading frosh passer).Bradford already broke Bomar's frosh TD pass record of 10 with 11 in his first three games.

Bradford already ranks #1 in career completion % but to be fair,needs to reach 500 attempts to actually qualify.He is currently on pace for 11,000+ yards and 144 TDs for a career.Don't misread me however as I AMNOT saying he will.One needs no better example than AD to realize frosh stats don't project well for a career.IF further proof against projecting is necessary,look at Colt McCoy,he is having a good season but nowhere near his fosh numbers.Having typed those words of caution though does not stop me from wondering WHAT IF and it COULD BE INCREDIBLE.

The kid AMAZES me,I picked him to throw for 2500 yards for THE SEASON and 18-20 TDs.A lot of people thought I was being OVERLY optimistic.What I like most about this guy is he is a TEAM FIRST player.Praise him and he talks about WE did this and WE did that,not I.IF he stays healthy and focused he could rewrite the recordbooks completely.
And he doesn't even have half the INTs that rhett dumbar had.

stoopified
10/8/2007, 11:19 PM
Except for projecting potential career numbers which I have pointed out earlier is subject to change(see AD,Colt),I prefer not to speculate beyond this year for CNA or the Sooners.I don't see Missou as a great D and expect CNA to have a big game and OU wins by 2-3 TDs.Tigers are too one-dimensional on offense.

MiccoMacey
10/8/2007, 11:21 PM
CNA????

Caucasion Ninja Assassin??

OU-HSV
10/8/2007, 11:23 PM
CNA????

Caucasion Ninja Assassin??
I'm assuming Cherokee.
I didn't want to ask, so I PMd Stoopified :O

sooneron
10/8/2007, 11:26 PM
I will put it this way, " I like Sam's game". He's tough, he delivers and he is a leader.

Redgiant2
10/9/2007, 03:36 AM
If his teammates would work and put as much effort into games as he did there is no telling what his stats would be so far and for the season as a whole. This guy is getting it DONE.

stoopified
10/10/2007, 01:01 PM
Yes it is Cherokee Ninja Assasin.Btw I forgot to mention Bradford has already tied the school record for TD passes in a game with 5 against UM.I thought CNA was catchy,not mine though.My nickname for Sam is THE ANSWER because before the season everybody said OU had a question at QB.

joe_sooner11
10/10/2007, 02:33 PM
"The Answer"
You have my vote on this nickname. It's the same one I came up with on that 7 page long corny nickname thread on here a while back. I like it.

Boomer Sooner!

stoopified
11/4/2007, 08:50 AM
Sam's new stats after the aTm game:

Bradford 165-239,69% completion

25 TDs-5INTs-2156 YDs

This places Sam at #13 on CAREER passing yards,#6 on Career Passing TDs,his 695 COMPLETION RATE IS #1, his passer rating of 175 tops the OU charts as well.In additon,his 5TD passes against aTM is the second time he has tied the school single game TD mark.THE ANSWER is just 4TD passes away for tying THE NCAARECORD for TD passes by a frosh(29).With at least 4 games to go and likely 5,I think Sam breaks the record and takes a shot at OU'single season record of 40.The guy is simply AMAZING.

stoopified
9/14/2008, 11:24 AM
Sam's carrer stats after the first 3 games of his sophmore year:
301 completions- 405 attempts 74.3% 4003 yds 48TDs-10 ints.Sam ranks 5th in career yards,3rd in career TDs and 1st in career completion %.He needs 1,089 yards to move into 4th,2,683 yards for third place(he is ahead of pace to do that in 13 games THIS year).6 TD passes will move him past Heupel(53) into second. All these marks are likely to fall.Bradford already has the career ,single season marks for completion %.

Only career marks that appear to be safe THIS SEASON are Jason White's career passing yards 7922 and TDs 81.This Sam kid could be a pretty decnt player ya think?

85sooners
9/14/2008, 11:38 AM
:eek: :pop:

OUHOMER
9/14/2008, 11:46 AM
very impressive, if we can keep him here thru his senior year , he could smash the records. he seems to be the kind that would stay.

fadada1
9/14/2008, 11:49 AM

as soon as he transfers to an SEC team.

OU-HSV
9/14/2008, 11:50 AM
nice

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 11:59 AM
next year

Hopefully this year.

stoopified
9/14/2008, 12:04 PM
very impressive, if we can keep him here thru his senior year , he could smash the records. he seems to be the kind that would stay.
At his current rate he will own all OU records halfway through his junior year.I don't think he has a shot at Big 12 records since LLeach lets his QBs throw 50-60 times a game.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 12:06 PM
Barring injury or early departure he should smash the OU records. Most of the guys above him only had a couple of seasons worth of starts. White had more, but still had incomplete seasons due to injury. Cale Gundy played more than the others, but the offense was still more run-focused.

CK Sooner
9/14/2008, 12:08 PM
Barring injury or early departure he should smash the OU records. Most of the guys above him only had a couple of seasons worth of starts. White had more, but still had incomplete seasons due to injury. Cale Gundy played more than the others, but the offense was still more run-focused.

Do you think he stays his Senior year?

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 12:10 PM
Depends on the outcome of the next two, probably. Win one (very possible) or two (could happen, I guess) national championships and he would be crazy not to jump, IMO.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 12:24 PM
What's crazy is that he absolutely smokes EVERYBODY on completion percentage and pass efficiency (http://www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/pass_career.cfm). The only ones who even get a sniff of his numbers are Eddie Crowder (RIP) and Claude Arnold, whose efficiency numbers benefit from the fact that they mostly only threw when it was a semi-sure thing, and whose passes also went for long distances due to the fact that they were relatively unexpected. Which doesn't take away anything from what they did; they just ran offenses (with greatness) in a different era.

bringit
9/14/2008, 02:45 PM
Seems like he sucks

:texan:

swardboy
9/14/2008, 03:55 PM
Heisman could be a lock NEXT YEAR. granted that our loine returns along with the rest of the team.

Seems like our loines are intact this year.

Breadburner
9/14/2008, 04:00 PM
How many Qb's leave early.....

Collier11
9/14/2008, 05:38 PM
Seems like our loines are intact this year.

we lose 5 starters on the o-line...I think he may be gone after his junior yr barring injury, the guy is already being hyped by mcshay and kiper as a 2nd or late 1st rd pick(I know they dont know sh*t but still) his name is out there

stoopified
9/14/2008, 07:05 PM
BTW Sam jumped from #7 last week to #2 in passing efficency this week,trailing only the Tulsa QB,Johnson(?).

SWFloridaSooner
9/14/2008, 07:47 PM
I said during the game yesterday that Sam reminds me of JW before the knee problems. Not saying he is JW, but does remind me of him. I think he is a smart quarterback with a good understanding of the game. He has a good arm and he is mobile. He might not be fast, but he is mobile and can move around. I think he is the perfect leader for this team.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2008, 07:50 PM
BTW Sam jumped from #7 last week to #2 in passing efficency this week,trailing only the Tulsa QB,Johnson(?).

Dang those Oklahoma teams.. all undefeated..

and let's all LOL at Zac Robinson being the third best qb in the state.

BigRedJed
9/14/2008, 08:05 PM
He doesn't really remind me of Jason pre-knee injury at all. Jason was a completely different QB before the first knee, and completely re-made himself. If he got heat in the pocket at all, he tucked and ran. And he was FAST. Dude was recruited by Miami, among others, as a safety. The fact that he so thoroughly altered his playing style to overcome his knee limitations is totally lost on most people.

Sam reminds me of the best qualities of several of our recent QBs. He has the accuracy of White, the situation awareness of Heupel, and the toughness of Hybl, standing in the pocket and taking a lick when he needs to. Did that last thing a couple of times yesterday, and got lit up like a Christmas tree. Also threw a couple of touchdowns on the same plays.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 08:24 PM
Once Sam develops the long pass like Jason White or even a better long pass....I think you guys can start the White / Bradford comparisons.

Sam has our team moving the football "at will" and so far has avoided stalling the offense on multiple possessions. Sam has lots of great weapons that once they catch the ball...they can make things happen.

I've seen a couple of great end zone shots this year....the one in the corner of the North EZ to I believe Iggy was fantastic.

Sam is posting numbers and shows great promise...I'd just like to see that long pass threat develop a little more.

StoopTroup
9/14/2008, 08:26 PM
He doesn't really remind me of Jason pre-knee injury at all. Jason was a completely different QB before the first knee, and completely re-made himself. If he got heat in the pocket at all, he tucked and ran. And he was FAST. Dude was recruited by Miami, among others, as a safety. The fact that he so thoroughly altered his playing style to overcome his knee limitations is totally lost on most people.

Sam reminds me of the best qualities of several of our recent QBs. He has the accuracy of White, the situation awareness of Heupel, and the toughness of Hybl, standing in the pocket and taking a lick when he needs to. Did that last thing a couple of times yesterday, and got lit up like a Christmas tree. Also threw a couple of touchdowns on the same plays.

I was writing my response and didn't see yours.

I agree. Good post.

Also...I was sitting here watching the replay again....

Washington stopped our Offense twice in the first quarter after our first score.

That is the flat stuff on the road we were all worried about but it seems we made an adjustment before the half this time.

Sabanball
9/14/2008, 08:28 PM

And in 2 years he'll be fine with the class of linemen we have coming in. We'll still have Trent Williams who could be one of our better linemen right now. And I think Simmons will be here also. We'll be fine there. Defense may not be as good though.

Perhaps in passing ability and efficiency, but not in terms of overall results. That honor is and probably always will only belong to Jamelle Holieway. He's got a ring to prove it.

The VIIIth
9/14/2008, 08:49 PM
Sam's latest Passing Efficiency Rating/NCAA Ranking is 214.4 and is ranked #2. Four Big 12 QB's in the Top 10.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

2 Sam Bradford, Oklahoma QB SO 3 81 64 79.01 2 2.47 882 10.89 12 14.81 214.4

KingBarry
9/15/2008, 04:48 AM
Sam's latest Passing Efficiency Rating/NCAA Ranking is 214.4 and is ranked #2. Four Big 12 QB's in the Top 10.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_playerpasseff&site=org

2 Sam Bradford, Oklahoma QB SO 3 81 64 79.01 2 2.47 882 10.89 12 14.81 214.4

Wow, six Big XII QBs in the top 13, and number one is TUīs guy. We definitely have some good QB play in this part of the country.

I really wanted to make fun of Zac Robinson not being in the top ten, but he is sitting there at number eleven, so I canīt really say that much. :(

KingBarry
9/15/2008, 04:50 AM
And of those six in the top 13, 5 are from the South Division. That is impressive.

pott_2
9/15/2008, 05:23 AM

Additionally, he can balance a checkbook better than Bomar.;)

BudSooner
9/15/2008, 08:02 AM
CNA? Cool, The Answer? very nice.

How about....wait for it....... "The Crimson Baron?"
Red Baron, aerial assaults etc. nevermind.

swardboy
9/15/2008, 08:51 AM
we lose 5 starters on the o-line...I think he may be gone after his junior yr barring injury, the guy is already being hyped by mcshay and kiper as a 2nd or late 1st rd pick(I know they dont know sh*t but still) his name is out there

Good points...just need to adjust your "sarcasm/joke" radar. "Loines" (sic) "loins"...old biblical term for the groin area...nm

The Maestro
9/15/2008, 10:52 AM
I am concerned about Sam.

I mean, 17 incompletions and ONLY 12 touchdowns???

Come on, Sam! You should have more TD's than incompletions!!!

Only the greatness of Sam Bradford makes you wonder if through three games a guy has more TD passes than incompletions.

He's everything you want in a guy representing your team. Great kid, great attitude, great work ethic and, oh by the way...great results.

Sam has a chance to end up being the greatest football player in OU's storied history. But...let's wait. He is just three games into his sophomore season.

stoopified
9/28/2008, 07:38 AM
Brradford career stats after TCU game:
320 completions- 439 attempts 72.9 %
52 Touchdowns- 10 Interceptions
4414 career yards
All this comes in 18 career starts and 17 actual games played.He was after all knocked OUt 4 minutes into the TT game.While in official stats that counts as a game played,it doesn't in mine.
On his current pace(through 4 games) Bradford would throw for 4526 yards and 48 TDs(both of which would smash single season records).

THAT would bring Sam's career totals to 7467 yards and 84 TDs.He would trail Jason White by only 455 yards in career passing and would pass him in Career TD passes with 84 to White's 81.Bradford's career completion % is nearly 10 points better than Josh Heupel's 63.8 .

I do think it is unlikely that Sam continues this entire season at his current torrid pace BUT you never know.

Sam already has (3) 300+ yard games this year and he only had (2) all of last season.

kbsooner
9/28/2008, 10:47 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/career/careerPassB11.html

only sophomore on this list! 4 year stay = NCAA career TD leader?

stoopified
10/19/2008, 10:38 AM
By now Sam's numbers have gotten totally SICK.Among others he now owns an NCAA record for most TD passes in combined frosh-soph seasons(62),the old record was (55) by Rex Grossman of UF.

His performance Saturday against KU set school records for yards in a quarter(189),half(313),game (468).

His current career stats:

407 C - 579 A -70.3 %- 62 TDs-13 Ints - 5641 YDs
With 6 games left in the season(barring a UT colllapse and OU running the table) the only OU CAREER mark seemingly out of reach(this season) is Jason White's career yardage of 7,922(Sam would need to average 380.3 yards passing to do so).Sam is already #1 in percenatge for a career,needs only 20 TDS to break the career mark of 81.The remarkable thing is Bradford has done this in 21 career starts(Heupel had 25,White 31).

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2008, 11:32 AM
How many of the following records does Bradford have a realistic chance of breaking?

Colt Brennan:

NCAA record for most career touchdown passes (131).

NCAA record for most career touchdowns responsible for (146).

NCAA record for most 400 yard games (20).

Tied NCAA record for most career touchdown passes by a quarterback-receiver combination (39 to Davone Bess).

NCAA single-season record for most touchdown passes, achieved in 2006 (58)

NCAA two-season record for most touchdown passes, (96)

NCAA record for passing efficiency (season), posting a 186.0 mark

NCAA record for most points responsible for (season) with 385.

NCAA record for highest pass completion percentage (70.4%).

Timmy Chang:

NCAA record for total offensive yards (16,910).

NCAA record for most career passing yards (17,072).

OU-HSV
10/19/2008, 12:02 PM
By now Sam's numbers have gotten totally SICK.Among others he now owns an NCAA record for most TD passes in combined frosh-soph seasons(62),the old record was (55) by Rex Grossman of UF.

His performance Saturday against KU set school records for yards in a quarter(189),half(313),game (468).

His current career stats:

407 C - 579 A -70.3 %- 62 TDs-13 Ints - 5641 YDs
With 6 games left in the season(barring a UT colllapse and OU running the table) the only OU CAREER mark seemingly out of reach(this season) is Jason White's career yardage of 7,922(Sam would need to average 380.3 yards passing to do so).Sam is already #1 in percenatge for a career,needs only 20 TDS to break the career mark of 81.The remarkable thing is Bradford has done this in 21 career starts(Heupel had 25,White 31).
I appreciate you updating this thread. Although football is a "team" sport, I can't help but find myself curious each week as Sam torches defenses how much ground he's making on the record books.
Sam is awesome and hell, he just may average 380.3 yds the rest of this season, I wouldn't put it past him the way he's been playing.
Thanks again.

MiccoMacey
10/19/2008, 04:45 PM
How many of the following records does Bradford have a realistic chance of breaking?

Colt Brennan:

NCAA record for most career touchdown passes (131).

NCAA record for passing efficiency (season), posting a 186.0 mark

NCAA record for highest pass completion percentage (70.4%).

These are the only three I think he has a shot at.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 04:48 PM
Somebody said it last week and I agree. Sam is reminding me of Peyton Manning..

sooner518
10/19/2008, 04:48 PM
McCoy is going to be on track for beating that pass completion % for the season. Last night he was 29-32 and his 3 incompletions were batted down. thats pretty unreal.

mustangsooner
10/19/2008, 05:43 PM
McCoy is going to be on track for beating that pass completion % for the season. Last night he was 29-32 and his 3 incompletions were batted down. thats pretty unreal.

Didn't Booger have 4 Incompletions in the second half against O state and all three were INT's.

kevpks
10/19/2008, 05:50 PM
Chase Daniel is set to break a record for most magazine covers without a meaningful win.

aurorasooner
10/19/2008, 05:53 PM
Chase Daniel is set to break a record for most magazine covers without a meaningful win. :D

Collier11
10/20/2008, 03:26 PM
As of the KU game, SB is already #6 in Big 12 history in TD passes