PDA

View Full Version : OU/UT Game Review

David Earl
10/8/2007, 09:02 AM
Ever since Mack Brown came to UT they have a way of bouncing back strong after an early season loss. There have been times that UT would lose a game early and it looked like their season was in serious peril, only to see the Horns turn it around, often in a big way. Maybe it’s one of those things Mack does well; pick his guys up after a big loss. This is one of the reasons I expected UT to play well against OU this year. After the 20 point loss to KSU, you had to expect the Horns to continue their trend and come back strong after the loss.

Therefore, this Sooner victory is big, and all the more sweet. UT gave it their best shot and just couldn’t get it done. In a game that featured an epic battle of two great, young QB’s, the Sooners outgunned the Horns. The Red River Rivalry really was a shootout this year.

The Sooner offense got back on track this week, running well and passing even better. There was some interesting mix in the play selection and solid execution. This game was a couple of plays away from breaking open. A late holding call on Murray’s run inside the 25 and an illegal block on Smith’s INT return about the same distance both prevented potential scores.

Sam’s performance was amazing. The guy just doesn’t act rattled. He made some key audibles, key throws in very high pressure situations. The more I think about it, it seems Sam carried this team. I must take this opportunity to point out one throw in particular that showed uncommon nerve for a man so young. It was OU’s last scoring drive, in fact the last scoring play. Kelly had broken free behind the UT secondary; Bradford had a Horn defender bearing down on him just inches away. Sam launched the go-ahead-for-good missile, knowing he was about to get creamed. Sam got clocked, but the UT defense wound up taking the biggest hit.

The Sooner run game gradually took shape and wound up being a difference making factor in the game. You people know I’ve struggled to understand why we attempt to run between the guards so often. The best guess I can make is that play is helping set something else up. I know inside runs help set up play-action, but the runs need to be successful to accomplish that. Maybe it has something to do with helping the more successful outside run. There’s a certain amount of that sort of thing in football. A spectator has to be pretty football sharp to understand all that.

Patrick was limited in his effectiveness early, which makes me wonder if he was hurt to some degree. I heard he was having cramp/hydration issues. Whatever the case, Murray filled in nicely. His TD run was pretty amazing. You people need to re-watch that play and let it soak in how he absolutely blistered the horn defender. I believe the UT kid’s name is Griffin. He is quite fast. Murray left him in the wake of his afterburners. That, my fellow sports fans, is speed. I am confident the list of people that will blow Griffin’s doors off like that at the college level is quite short. Perhaps a Horn fan can comment here, but I wander if Griffin was just gassed, or if I’ve got him mixed up with another player, but I sure thought he was one of the faster players on their defense.

Our TE’s and WR’s were back closer to normal form. There were a couple of drops that frustrate, but there were some great catches and runs too.

The o-line did a fine job pass protecting and had good run blocking on the edges. The middle run is still not there on a consistent basis, but the off-tackle plays and sweeps usually get at least two yards and often more.

Despite having concerns over giving up so many passing yards, I thought our defensive performance was pretty thrilling. Hear me out. First, McCoy is the real deal and his receivers are good. Second, the Horn o-line played lights out in this game. Third, and this is the thrilling part, the Sooner defense made some second half adjustments and stopped the Horn passing attack when it mattered most. Those late game drive stops were huge. If you think they weren’t, just remember Colorado.

The Sooner front had trouble getting pressure on Colt, but managed to get to him some, actually an impressive four sacks, was it not. They did a good job jamming the run lanes. That trap/misdirection still gave us trouble, but not as much as last week. It needs to be said that English is an awesome DE. Also, it looks to me like McCoy and Granger are slowly coming into their own at DT.

The Sooner LB group is great at tackling and run stopping. They struggled again in pass coverage, but coaches adjusted. Reynolds would often trot to the sideline in obvious passing situations, allowing for better cover guys to come in. Some of those completions over the middle were in good coverage. UT WR’s/TE’s are just good. Lofton was great on the strip/fumble as well as a tip that caused an INT. Big players make big plays in big games.

The DB’s tightened coverage a little in the second half. Smith in particular had some major pass breakups in the second defending Sweed. Harris had another game where he just kept on making significant plays. It’s a legitimate concern when an opposing QB torches you for 300 yards and 2 TD’s. Remember, we use a pass defense philosophy that can allow yards, but limit scores. Think of previous Tech games and you’ll see what I mean. Add to that the fact UT has two exceptional TE’s and you can see why they moved the ball on us. Again I remind fans, the defense made the stops late when it counted.

Special teams struggled again to cover kicks. Cosby is good, very slippery. But it’s probably fair to say that tackling form is not as solid on special teams as on defense. That really needs to get better.

When you finish looking at the stats and highlights the story looks something like this. The 2007 version of the Red River War was a solid edition. Two heavyweights traded heavy blows until one was left standing. The Horns turned in a performance their fans can certainly be proud of, but the Sooners turned in a performance that yielded a win. OU still controls their own destiny in the conference title race and is still in the national title hunt. We’ve got a lot to cheer about. Boomer Sooner!

Socrefbek
10/8/2007, 09:08 AM
Great Read. Well Done!

sooneron
10/8/2007, 09:12 AM
Concur, Deacon. Good analysis. We need to get better at pass coverage over the middle in between the zones.

CincySooner
10/8/2007, 09:13 AM
hmmm... I wonder how OUs linebackers will prepare and match up for Mizzou's tight ends then. Aren't they supposed to be better than the TEs we saw on saturday?

BillyBall
10/8/2007, 09:36 AM
hmmm... I wonder how OUs linebackers will prepare and match up for Mizzou's tight ends then. Aren't they supposed to be better than the TEs we saw on saturday?

They usually split them out, they will more than likely be matched up with DB's not LB's.

OKC-SLC
10/8/2007, 10:19 AM
Good jorb, DE.

Blitzkrieg
10/8/2007, 10:24 AM
I was surprised we never jammed the TE while he was in the 3 point stance on the line. Reynolds could have easily done that.

We may need to keep Reynolds on the pine for the next game. He will be lost trying to cover Rucker, who lines up in the slot or standing, he's very difficult to jam at the line.

FaninAma
10/8/2007, 11:32 AM
Texas' offense is mediocre. That won't be the case against Missouri. If OU's defense gives Daniel the time they gave McCoy this game will be very iffy for OU.