PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou rubs it in with fourth-quarter fake field goal

oupride
10/8/2007, 08:50 AM
I was suprised when I read this
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10394631
They were already up 34-7. What does this say about Mizzou? Heck, what does this say about Nebraska. Discuss.

OUDoc
10/8/2007, 08:53 AM
Nebraska (old Nebraska) would've done it to them.

Texas Golfer
10/8/2007, 08:58 AM
I'm happy for them to give us all the film we need to determine how to play them.

David Earl
10/8/2007, 09:03 AM
The Tigers had to make a statement for ranking purposes. Given the chance, they'll do the same to us and more.

Choctaw
10/8/2007, 09:03 AM
"The bad news is we've got to wake up and start preparing for Oklahoma."

Oh crap, more trick plays for OU. We don't do so well against trick plays. But to answer your question, I think a fourth quarter fake field goal sucks. However, in order to appease the poll gods, its all about the points.

batonrougesooner
10/8/2007, 09:09 AM
If there's time on the clock, all is fair game IMHO. This is Big12 football, not intermurals. OU learned that two weeks ago.

sooneron
10/8/2007, 09:14 AM
As long as callaclown is in Lincoln, I don't care what opposing teams do to the bugeaters (sort of intentional injuries).

StuIsTheMan
10/8/2007, 09:18 AM
yeah and what is up with them lining their Tackels out in the slot...WTF did that ever work?

r5TPsooner
10/8/2007, 09:19 AM
While I dislike Nebraska now that they have become the Slashers... the fake FG in the 4th quarter was a bit tasteless. Hopefully we can give Mizzou a dose of its own medicine this weekend.

Blues1
10/8/2007, 09:49 AM
Other article from same sports page ------ usc --- IS it all over...??
Link

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10394698

aurorasooner
10/8/2007, 10:08 AM
Mizzou rubs it in with fourth-quarter fake field goal I saw that live and didn't understand the call being up by that much, even against the corn. Why not save that one for us instead of showing it the week before? unless you're worried about us blocking one, and I don't think we've even made a quality effort to block one yet. We're we even close to blocking that CU game winner?

Scott D
10/8/2007, 10:23 AM
Those of you who claim to not understand it, you do understand that any chance anyone in our conference has to run things up on Nebraska, they are likely going to take advantage of it. Hell, I wish we could play em this year and put up a nice 73-0 final score on their ***, it'd be a nice 10th anniversary present for them.

frankensooner
10/8/2007, 10:30 AM
Maybe they really hate Callenburger. Maybe they are keeping us honest. I am so looking forward to this week!

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 10:36 AM
Was it classless? Sure. Was it unsportsmanlike? Yes. Was it being a sore winner? Absolutely.

HOWEVER...

I have no problem with it. I like NU but hate Callahan, so anything any team can do to embarrass him even more, I'm all for it. Besides, as we have all said in defense of our own team on many occasions when we're accused of running up the score, "it's not OU's job to stop OU's offense." Same thing applies to Missouri. MU is simply trying to position themselves for BCS title contention, and knowing that *IF* they can somehow upset us this weekend, they'll have a real shot at it by the end of the year. I can't blame them for that. We would do the same thing.

Hopefully, it will all be a moot point by late Saturday night. Here's to hoping we can return to form like we were earlier this season!

stoopified
10/8/2007, 10:45 AM
Nebraska (old Nebraska) would've done it to them.Exactly.When we beat the Huskers 30-3 a couple years back I was disappointed.I wanted it to be 72-3.The current coaches and players weren't there but the MU fans were.I applaud Coach Pinkel for giving his fans some payback.I would love for Bob to do that to NU next year but I don't think he would UNLESS Callahan says or does something to hack him off.On reflection,given Callanbergers big mouth,I put the odds at 50-50.

Curly Bill
10/8/2007, 10:54 AM
If there's time on the clock, all is fair game IMHO. This is Big12 football, not intermurals. OU learned that two weeks ago.

You are correct sir...though I am surprised they didn't save it for a more desperate time.

Position Limit
10/8/2007, 11:14 AM
my uncle has a daughter that attends mu. he went to the game and sat with her and sat in the student section. and from the sound of things that fake field goal was a microcosm of a litany of bizarre behavior and actions that took place on saturday in columbia. i think the inmates have taken over the asylum. from students, to cops, to adults right down to the head coach. i think it's down right funny myself. i love rowdy *** fans and bizarre behavior. nebraska needs somebody to put 70 points on their asses. i also believe that come saturday, win or lose, missouri campus will be ablaze a few hours after the game. i will look like a 1060's peace protest gone bad. i cant wait.

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 11:17 AM
i will look like a 1060's peace protest gone bad. i cant wait.

1060's???

Wow! Mizzou's been playing football and protesting for peace for a LONG time... ;)

PLaw
10/8/2007, 11:19 AM
Nebraska (old Nebraska) would've done it to them.

Bingo! How many years have they had to sit there and watch NU run up the score. I was glad to see they got a little bit of revenge.

BOOMER
PLaw

soonerlaw
10/8/2007, 11:26 AM
I agree that the team should not stop playing until the end and should not keep from scoring until the game is over... but to use a trick/gimick play in the fourth quarter already up by 4tds was like rubbing salt in the wound.

Oh well, karma's a bitch.

Scott D
10/8/2007, 12:36 PM
nebraska needs somebody to put 70 points on their asses.

How soon we all forget. Too bad it was in Lubbock instead of Lincoln. And even that 2004 team thinks this 2007 team sucks.

Texas Tech 70, Nebraska 10
Preview - Box Score - Recap

By BETSY BLANEY, Associated Press Writer
October 10, 2004

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- Nebraska has never looked this bad.

Texas Tech handed the Cornhuskers the worst loss in their storied 114-year history Saturday night, with Sonny Cumbie throwing for 436 yards and five touchdowns in a 70-10 win.

``I'm very disappointed in our team's effort,'' first-year coach Bill Callahan said. ``We are certainly capable of being a better ball club. It just came down to turnovers and we had a lot of them in the second half.''

ADVERTISEMENT
Tech (4-2, 2-1 Big 12) forced seven turnovers and recorded its first victory in eight tries against Nebraska (3-2, 1-1 Big 12), which set school records for points allowed and margin of defeat.

Before Saturday, the most points scored against Nebraska came in a 62-36 loss to Colorado in 2001. Nebraska's largest previous margin of defeat was 54, set in a 54-0 loss to Minnesota in 1943 and matched in a 54-0 loss to Indiana in 1944 and a 61-7 loss to Minnesota in 1945.

Tech coach Mike Leach said he didn't know about the record until about five minutes remained.

``We were just trying to play efficiently,'' he said.

It was a numbing low for a longtime power that hasn't contended for a national title in recent years.

The Huskers won two national championships in the 1970s under Bob Devaney and three more in the 1990s under Tom Osborne. They had nine wins or more for 33 straight seasons and spent 54 straight weeks in the AP Top 10 before going 7-7 in 2002 under Frank Solich.

Solich replaced the retired Osborne in 1998 but was fired after last season despite going 10-3 and finishing 58-19 in six seasons.

Callahan was brought in after a long search, and the former Oakland Raiders coach replaced Nebraska's traditional run-first mentality with an offense that emphasized the short pass.

But Saturday, the passing game backfired on Nebraska, which threw five interceptions and set up easy Tech scores. Four interceptions and both Nebraska fumbles came after halftime. And Tech converted most into scores.

``We kept allowing them opportunities to keep scoring and we just basically gave the game away,'' Nebraska safety Daniel Bullocks said. ``They took advantage of our mistakes.''

Nebraska scored to make it 21-10 after halftime, and Callahan thought his team still had a chance.

``I thought we had Tech right where we wanted them,'' he said. ``I also felt the game was in reach as we made it a two-possession game and we had a chance to come back, but it just turned into a catch-up game.''

Five of Tech's last six possessions began in Nebraska territory: at the 41, 14, 8, 6 and 12.

``I never saw anything like it,'' Tech defensive end Adell Duckett said. ``The last nine minutes took forever. Everyone got involved, it was good stuff.''

Cumbie, who came into the game leading the nation in passing yards at 417 yards a game, threw TD passes of 22, 80, 6, 3 and 2 yards. It was his sixth straight game of more than 350 yards passing and his fourth of more than 400 yards this season.

Cumbie completed 44 of 56 passes, including 14 straight in the third quarter, and had one interception. His longest TD pass came late in the first half when he found Jarrett Hicks on the left sideline for an 80-yarder that made it 21-3.

It was the longest TD pass by Tech since Leach brought his aerial offense five years ago. The longest previous pass came in Tech's 49-45 win over Mississippi last season when B.J. Symons threw a 70-yard TD toss to Carlos Francis.

Hicks said the team was looking for a strong rebound after its 28-13 loss at Oklahoma last week.

``The biggest thing is we play more relaxed at home in front of our own fans,'' said Hicks, who caught three passes for 103 yards. ``Once the crowd gets behind us, I don't think there's anybody that can stop us.''

Tech has scored 70 points in each of its two home games this year. The Red Raiders beat TCU 70-35 in September after trailing by 21.

Tech running back Taurean Henderson scored the first rushing touchdown against Nebraska in the past 26 quarters when he capped an 86-yard drive on a 3-yard run to give the Red Raiders a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter.

Henderson scored three touchdowns, one passing and two rushing. Johnnie Mack also scored three.

JPNSKER
10/8/2007, 12:41 PM
I'm sure I'll get negged repeatedly, but who cares....

Nebraska has never done anything comparable to a fake field goal up by that much. Hey, if Pinhead wants to run that, fine. NU should have stopped them.

I'm more embarrassed about the game, not some play in the 4th!

Now, were there a lot high scoring games? You bet! But Osborne usually had the 2nd & 3rd string in. Heck, the last year he beat ISU, he didn't run any plays except between the tackles after half time....

Oh well..... fire away...:)

Position Limit
10/8/2007, 12:51 PM
scott d,
i do remember that game. i guess i should i have said put 70 on nebraska again and again. whatever it takes to get cally and their AD tarred and feathered. until then, i'll just enjoy watching this train wreck. and please nebraska fans, stop perpetuating this lie that osborne never ran up the score or threw the ball late in the game. osborne never threw the ball period. i sat in the stands in norman in 1996 until the end of that game. i saw what happened. spare me.

silverwheels
10/8/2007, 12:53 PM
I like Nebraska. Not that much, but more than I like most other programs. To see what Pederson and Callahan have done to the Huskers is pretty sad.

I hope more stuff like this happens to them so maybe Pederson will be run out of town.

Scott D
10/8/2007, 01:00 PM

Nebraska has never done anything comparable to a fake field goal up by that much. Hey, if Pinhead wants to run that, fine. NU should have stopped them.

Now, were there a lot high scoring games? You bet! But Osborne usually had the 2nd & 3rd string in. Heck, the last year he beat ISU, he didn't run any plays except between the tackles after half time....

this is getting pretty standard up in your neck of the woods now though.

Callahan thought his team still had a chance.

"I thought we had (insert opponent who beat Nebraska here) right where we wanted them,'' he said. "I also felt the game was in reach as we made it a two-possession game and we had a chance to come back, but it just turned into a catch-up game.''

OUDoc
10/8/2007, 01:02 PM
I like Nebraska. Not that much, but more than I like most other programs. To see what Pederson and Callahan have done to the Huskers is pretty sad.

I hope more stuff like this happens to them so maybe Pederson will be run out of town.
They'll be gone soon, but how long will it take for Nebraska to re-group after that?

silverwheels
10/8/2007, 01:05 PM
They'll be gone soon, but how long will it take for Nebraska to re-group after that?

Depends on if they can find a competent AD. If not, it will take another decade, at least.

GottaHavePride
10/8/2007, 01:19 PM
1060's???

Wow! Mizzou's been playing football and protesting for peace for a LONG time... ;)

Dude, protesters were hardcore back then.

http://bowlsatlindfield.homestead.com/files/histpage___battle_of_hastings.jpg

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 01:23 PM
Dude, protesters were hardcore back then.

http://bowlsatlindfield.homestead.com/files/histpage___battle_of_hastings.jpg

Hardcore, indeed. Looks pretty violent back in the day.

PEACE THROUGH VIOLENCE, PEACE THROUGH VIOLENCE!

Maybe if Mizzou played football as passionately as they protested, perhaps they'd be worth a damn... back in 1060! :D

silverwheels
10/8/2007, 01:25 PM
1060? I think Bama won their first National Championship that year.

SoonerEmpire
10/8/2007, 01:30 PM
1060? I think Bama won their first National Championship that year.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, we probably should keep the lid on this one. If this gets around to Bama fans, they probably WILL claim the 1060 NC.

Theskipster
10/8/2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.theskipster.com/images/saltwound.jpg

Sooner24
10/8/2007, 05:18 PM

Oklahoma 21, Nebraska 73

November 2, 1996
at Norman
Attendance: 75,004

1 2 3 4 F
- - - - --
Nebraska (5) 0 17 28 28 - 73
Oklahoma 0 0 0 21 - 21

Nebraska - FG K Brown 25
Nebraska - Evans 2 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Green 4 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - R Brown 83 interception return (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - L Brown 41 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Vedral 11 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Evans 7 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Lake 51 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 34 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Sims 1 run (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 17 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Sims 22 run (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 51 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Cheatham 83 kickoff return (K Brown kick)

I guess having your starting QB throw a 51 yard TD pass up 45-0 in the 4th quarter wouldn't be the same thing?

JPNSKER
10/8/2007, 05:38 PM
Oklahoma 21, Nebraska 73

November 2, 1996
at Norman
Attendance: 75,004

1 2 3 4 F
- - - - --
Nebraska (5) 0 17 28 28 - 73
Oklahoma 0 0 0 21 - 21

Nebraska - FG K Brown 25
Nebraska - Evans 2 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Green 4 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - R Brown 83 interception return (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - L Brown 41 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Vedral 11 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Evans 7 run (K Brown kick)
Nebraska - Lake 51 pass from Frost (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 34 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Sims 1 run (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 17 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Sims 22 run (K Brown kick)
Oklahoma - Parker 51 run (J Alexander kick)
Nebraska - Cheatham 83 kickoff return (K Brown kick)

I guess having your starting QB throw a 51 yard TD pass up 45-0 in the 4th quarter wouldn't be the same thing?

Was it a trick play? hmmmmmmm, nope. Was it 51 through the air or was it a short out that went to the house? Get back to me on that & let me know....:)

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, I'll just root a little harder for the Sooners at this point. I know a lot of Sooner fans that had our back in the 90's. Guess I'll just have to return the favor.

LakeTiger
10/8/2007, 05:45 PM
The Tigers had to make a statement for ranking purposes. Given the chance, they'll do the same to us and more.

Exactly! Mizzou is in a different place than OU & they have to make their scores larger at this moment than OU does to make a statement. Given the chance I'm positive that Pinkel will add another td to the mix & I firmly believe Bob Stoops will understand why he did it.

I don't expect Mizzou to beat OU in Norman but I do believe that OU will have no newfound respect for Mizzou after this game. The weapons that Mizzou deploys on offense is amazing & I'm sure that they'll score on OU several times....I'm worried about the Mizzou defense holding OU under 30pts though.

Here's to a great game with no major injuries for either side.

Sooner24
10/8/2007, 05:52 PM
Was it a trick play? hmmmmmmm, nope. Was it 51 through the air or was it a short out that went to the house? Get back to me on that & let me know....:)

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, I'll just root a little harder for the Sooners at this point. I know a lot of Sooner fans that had our back in the 90's. Guess I'll just have to return the favor.

Just to let you know it was a long bomb for a touchdown. Frost aired it out. I was there watching and wondering if Dr Tom felt better running up the score after all of those years of last minute defeats.

Sooner24
10/8/2007, 05:56 PM
On second thought I bet he was afraid John Blake was going to pull a 4th quarter coaching miracle and score 46 point and shut out the Cornhuskers to win the game.

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2007, 06:13 PM
Other article from same sports page ------ usc --- IS it all over...??
Link

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10394698
Oh please please please tell me it's true that Petey will go back to the NFL; i can't stand that sonuvabitch

tulsaoilerfan
10/8/2007, 06:16 PM
http://www.theskipster.com/images/saltwound.jpg
:D :D That's pretty damn funny right there

Booner
10/8/2007, 06:54 PM
Is Callyhan on the hot seat?

GoTigers
10/8/2007, 07:15 PM
My perception of that fake field goal was to

1. Appease the fans
Pinkel never finishes games. Often when we have a lead late in the game, we do the turtle. This was pinkel's way of throwing the fans a bone. I really did enjoy it.

2. Show Nebraska how it feels
On huskerboard.com there was a similar thread about how classless it was for us to run that play. Apparently, none of them had watched Nebraska football ever, or thought when their team did it, it was awesome. Nebraska has run up the score on opponents countless times. The Huskers also needlessly ran trick plays last year vs. CU.

Football Jim
10/8/2007, 07:17 PM

Bull. Watch last years NU-CU game on video, slash and company put in several "rub it in" type trick plays against the hapless Buffs long after the game was decided. For a bug eater to come here and cry about running up the score is so funny it would make Mike Gundy puke!

GoTigers
10/8/2007, 07:20 PM

Bull. Watch last years NU-CU game on video, slash and company put in several "rub it in" type trick plays against the hapless Buffs long after the game was decided. For a bug eater to come here and cry about running up the score is so funny it would make Mike Gundy puke!

Absolutely. They've run up the score so many times on the Tigers, it's not even funny. It's only justice that we hang 41 on them 3 consecutive times in Columbia.

Soonerwolf
10/8/2007, 08:41 PM
I was suprised when I read this
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10394631
They were already up 34-7. What does this say about Mizzou? Heck, what does this say about Nebraska. Discuss.

I think it says volumes of how "highly" regarded Callahan is among his peers . . . poor Nebraska . . . :D

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2007, 12:56 AM
I guess William the Conqueror didn't give peace a chance.

Redgiant2
10/9/2007, 03:25 AM
I would like to think that Karma in the end is a bitch. Callahan deserved every bit of it.

ashley
10/9/2007, 07:13 AM
I cannot believe that no one on here knows why it was done. it was done to slow down the rush on field goals for the rest of the year.
But then again I coached for thirty five years.

David Earl
10/9/2007, 08:23 AM
You people, a big part of college rankings is style points. Mizzou had to do this for style points. A voter seeing 41-6 is WAY different than a voter seeing 34-6. There's something about breaking that 40 point barrier.

oupride
10/10/2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=4905121

DocNice
10/10/2007, 06:29 PM
You have to keep this in the context that people have said that Pinkel does not have a killer instinct and can't put teams away. We've blown huge leads in almost every game this year. Against Illinois, we were up 24 late in the game and it took a last second interception to pull out the victory. And it's not the first time, we were up by 21 against Oklahoma State a few years ago and lost, and we blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead in our bowl game last year, among others.

I think Pinkel wanted to send a message that we were not going to let up.