PDA

View Full Version : any of you hillbillys taken the Heartland flier

OUHOMER
10/8/2007, 05:25 AM
To fort worth? My daughters birthday is coming up and the wife thought a train ride to Ft Worth, Get a hotel and go shopping , ride the train back would be cool. just the girls weekend deal. (which works for me). So there will be about 6 ladies heading that way.

Train ride is cheap enough, but trying to find a decent hotel close to the train station seems to be expensive. They are going down on a saturday and back on sunday. I hate to have them rent a car just for 1 day.

this is turning out to be an expensive deal, 6 train tickets, 2 hotel rooms, maybe a rental car.

Anyway, anybody ever ride the train to FTW

OUHOMER
10/8/2007, 03:12 PM
WOW slow day on the SO. i was expecting at the very least and smart*** reply

Petro-Sooner
10/8/2007, 03:19 PM
Trains are ghey.

Sorry, I got nuthin.
I would actually like to ride it at some point.

Viking Kitten
10/8/2007, 05:20 PM
We were planning a similar trip for my son's birthday, except we were thinking Six Flags. I can't see any way around a rental car though.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/8/2007, 05:28 PM
They had a deal where you could ride it to Dallas for the game.

I'm thinking about taking it for the Big XII Championship Game.

OUHOMER
10/8/2007, 06:50 PM
They had a deal where you could ride it to Dallas for the game.

I'm thinking about taking it for the Big XII Championship Game.
dont they bus you over from Ft Worth?

But yea I think I would enjoy a train ride to San Antonio myself. I think i will call them tomorrow and see about renting a damn car for 1 day and renting 2 rooms :mad:

What ever it takes to keep the women happy :(

hell, it might be cheaper renting a damn limo to take them shopping.. Who knows

it going to hurt either way

Jimminy Crimson
10/8/2007, 07:11 PM
dont they bus you over from Ft Worth?

For OU/TX, the demand is enough where they send the train straight into Union Station in Dallas, instead of FTW.

If it left later than 2:30pm or whenever on Sunday, I'd have considered it.

Hot Rod
10/8/2007, 07:13 PM
My wife and daughter took it last year. It takes longer to get to Ft Worth than driving due to all the stops. However, they ended up staying at a friend's house and also used them as their transportation for the weekend. Overall, they thought it was enjoyable.

OUHOMER
10/8/2007, 08:24 PM
Well, cann't rent a car. Enterprise is right next door to the train station. they close at noon, and the train gets in at 1230. They are closed on sunday so you cant return the damn car.

these girls are going to drive me crazy until I figure it out for them

phead903
10/8/2007, 08:31 PM
There are a couple of neat old hotels in downtown Ft Worth. SG06 and I stayed in a converted Courtyard right on the square in downtown FW. Couldn't they take a cab to the hotel and just shop around the square? It is really a neat area down there - lots of restaurants, shops and stuff.

King Crimson
10/8/2007, 08:52 PM
i took it to FW. the Oklahoma part of the trip is pretty nice, rustic. small town train stations, the trip through the Arbuckles is pretty cool. after you cross into Texas it's not so great. be sure and call Amtrak and make a reservation since they charge you an extra 10 bucks if you just show up with cash.

it's a pretty comfortable ride, lots of room to spread out. i'd do it again. does take longer than driving.

SoonerStormchaser
10/8/2007, 09:30 PM
Took it once on my way down to San Marcos for Thanksgiving. It was ok...nothing seriously wrong with it.

47straight
10/8/2007, 10:07 PM
It is almost always delayed some way or another.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/9/2007, 06:18 AM
The time issue is really the only drawback. It takes longer than driving, but it can still be a lot of fun.

Jeopardude
10/9/2007, 10:54 AM
You can get bloody marys or whiskey on it. That made me happy.