PDA

View Full Version : Forgiving golf clubs....

OUAndy1807
10/7/2007, 06:04 PM
I'm a high-handicapper and I've got some Tommy Armour 845's. I don't play a ton, but I'm about to start playing a little more (once a week, max) I play in some scrambles and ****. Nothing serious.

Would I benefit from some more forgiving clubs? I've been looking at some Adams that are intriguing where they replace the long irons with hybrids. Should I make the plunge?

(I'm also going to invest in a couple of lessons.)

Cam
10/7/2007, 06:13 PM
Invest in lessons and have your new clubs fitted to you, even if it costs a little more.

I play Ping over sized and like them a lot. I'm a duffer at best though.

Newbomb Turk
10/7/2007, 08:24 PM
845's are good irons, but technology has provided some much better irons in the last 10 years. I have a pretty old set of irons, but I pulled my 3 and 4 irons and added a hybrid - they sure are easier to hit than long irons. If you like your 845 short irons, you might consider that.

If you want new irons, just go to a course and try some of their demo clubs. Find what you like and as Cam said, get fitted.

r5TPsooner
10/7/2007, 09:16 PM
How much $$$ you want to spend?

OUinFLA
10/7/2007, 09:20 PM
I never forgave my golf clubs from the last time I played.
I banished them to the attic where they sit in solitary.

well.............. not really solitary if you count all the clubs being together.
Perhaps I'll seperate them somewhat to add to their punishment.

r5TPsooner
10/7/2007, 09:26 PM
I never forgave my golf clubs from the last time I played.
I banished them to the attic where they sit in solitary.

well.............. not really solitary if you count all the clubs being together.
Perhaps I'll seperate them somewhat to add to their punishment.

I figured they were swimming with the gators at the bottom of a lake.

OUinFLA
10/7/2007, 10:21 PM
I figured they were swimming with the gators at the bottom of a lake.

That was an option the last time I played.
The "cheapskate" in me kept me from tossing a more than full set of Pings into the water I had just put 3 balls into.
It was tempting.

OUTromBoNado
10/8/2007, 01:46 AM
I just started playing golf about 3 weeks ago. Currently finishing up a set of 5 lessons. It's part of my whole plan to get out and be more active. I plan to get out and play 9 holes and walk the course. Eventually, I'd like to walk a full 18.

I have a real problem trying to buy clubs because I'm left-handed. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since I'm just starting, but I found a set of Wilson Firesticks on eBay for under $130. They are a pretty forgiving set me learning.

Once I get into playing more and striking the ball with more consistency and power, I plan to get fitted for some clubs. But that stuff costs mucho $$$...which I don't have.

If there's anyone in the Tulsa area that plays and would like to see me embarrass myself, I might be game...once I get me some experience on an actual course.

OU4LIFE
10/8/2007, 07:38 AM
Did someone throw up the 4LIFE signal?

Andy, Do yourself a favor and buy something used. The markup on golf equipment is higher than the furniture industry. You can get a set of whatever you want, in very good shape used, for roughly HALF of what they want new. There are a lot of people out there with more money than sense, and they will buy a set and hit them once at the course and decide they don't like them and then sell them cheap.

As for what kind, the Adams are a good starter set, since they come with hybrids, The TourEdge stuff is pretty affordable and they come with hybrids also. If you just want forgivness, it's hard to beat the Callaway entry level sets, the Big Berthas, or the Fusion wide-sole irons, where essentially every club is a sort of hybrid. The wide sole makes them much easier to hit.

If you are only planning to use these a couple of times a year for scrambles and stuff, then I'm not sure fitting is worth the money. If you plan of playing for recreation in something other than scrambles then getting fit is a must.

good luck

r5TPsooner
10/8/2007, 09:27 AM
In that price range I'd look hard at the Adams or TaylorMade OS irons. Get a set with hybrids if you can swing it.

OU4LIFE
10/8/2007, 09:30 AM
honestly, I'd be pickier about the lessons than I would the clubs. Finding a teacher that speaks in terms that make sense to you is HUGE. Everyone has different feels, finding a teacher than describes feels to you that make sense goes a long way to making progress.

TexasLidig8r
10/8/2007, 09:33 AM
This past year.. took some lessons then,

got the Cobra S9 clubs with the Cobra baffler... The Titleist D1 Driver is a great club as well.

Very forgiving clubs with a great feel.

IB4OU2
10/8/2007, 09:46 AM
honestly, I'd be pickier about the lessons than I would the clubs. Finding a teacher that speaks in terms that make sense to you is HUGE. Everyone has different feels, finding a teacher than describes feels to you that make sense goes a long way to making progress.

Yea, too bad OUThunder got baned....;)

r5TPsooner
10/8/2007, 10:08 AM
This past year.. took some lessons then,

got the Cobra S9 clubs with the Cobra baffler... The Titleist D1 Driver is a great club as well.

Very forgiving clubs with a great feel.

The Baffler is an awesome hybrid. It's so long and easy to hit it should be illegal.

lexsooner
10/8/2007, 08:21 PM
I'm a high-handicapper and I've got some Tommy Armour 845's. I don't play a ton, but I'm about to start playing a little more (once a week, max) I play in some scrambles and ****. Nothing serious.

Would I benefit from some more forgiving clubs? I've been looking at some Adams that are intriguing where they replace the long irons with hybrids. Should I make the plunge?

(I'm also going to invest in a couple of lessons.)

Here's some advice: When you take the lessons, also find out if the golf club house has demo clubs which are left with the club by the golf companies which come by to advertise their ware at golf shows. Chances are, the course has demos which you can try. Then hit some different types of clubs on the range. This is the only way you will know if you really like something. Going to a golf store and hitting a taped-up club on astro turf in a closet does not simulate the real thing.

SoonerBOI
10/8/2007, 09:29 PM
Invest in lessons and have your new clubs fitted to you, even if it costs a little more.

I play Ping over sized and like them a lot. I'm a duffer at best though.

Amen...