PDA

View Full Version : "Magnificent Murray breathes life into Sooners"

Rogue
10/7/2007, 07:44 AM
I'm glad he's suddenly a DM fan, and can do fun things with words, but...Meh.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10392991

A smart coach would give Murray the ball until he throws up, then use his own shirt to wipe Murray's face before sending him back onto the field.

Murray finished with 128 yards on 17 carries. After spending the first half being treated like a fancy wine -- something to be savored in small doses -- Murray was pounded like malt liquor in the fourth quarter.

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 07:49 AM
With Patrick out of the game with an undisclosed injury, the Sooners had no choice but to give the ball to redshirt freshman DeMarco Murray. And Murray responded by rushing for 103 yards and a touchdown in the second half, leading No. 10 Oklahoma to a season-saving 28-21 victory against No. 19 Texas.

Why it took Patrick's injury for OU coach Bob Stoops to force-feed the ball to Murray, I couldn't tell you. Stoops is supposed to be smart, but after watching Murray for the first time, I'm not so sure. A smart coach would give Murray the ball until he throws up, then use his own shirt to wipe Murray's face before sending him back onto the field. He obviously doesn't understand the need to have fresh legs on the field in the sweltering Cotton Bowl to take advantage of a crease in the opposing defense and how good of a running back both AP and DM are (and is CB). DM is a damn good running back and can certainly take it to the house, but whether he makes that 65 yard TD run after getting a constant pounding at TB from the whorn D the whole 1st half is debatable. JMHO, and while I don't agree with our offense's philosophy of running those simple telegraphed running plays from that less-than-imaginative 1 back set, I do agree with the way BS and KW are interchanging AP, DM, and CB at running back and spreading out the pounding of running at the stone wall, until we finally find a crease in the defense. I don't know how fast that Texas DB is who had the angle on Murray, but as Switzer probably said watching DM's run, the guy had "jets in his shoes" down the sideline. http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10392991

OU-HSV
10/7/2007, 07:53 AM
Good read, other than where he questions Bob Stoops' brain power

King Crimson
10/7/2007, 07:54 AM
Murray is not an every-down back. Patrick runs North-South.

i do agree that Murray made # 38 for Texas look slow as gravy. and i bet the kid can run. part of it is the angle, and #38 on the off-step...but still, they are running step for step after about the UT 45.

http://i23.tinypic.com/2zprw46.gif

Rogue
10/7/2007, 07:54 AM
Exactly HSV!

Flagstaffsooner
10/7/2007, 08:03 AM
Murray is next in the line of great OU backs, a list that includes Billy Vessels, Steve Owens, Greg Pruitt, Joe Washington, Billy Sims, Marcus Dupree and Adrian Peterson. Vessels, Owens and Sims won the Heisman. Pruitt, Washington and Peterson should have. And the injury-prone, hamburger-prone Dupree was the most gifted of them all.
:D

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 08:04 AM
Sorry about posting it and not replying to your post. I was reading the article and when I saw his ridiculous quote about Stoops, I posted without reading the threads. While the article is good, that has to be the dumbazz statement of the year from a sportwriter and he more than likely wasn't (or never has been) in the cotton bowl stands in a complete steam bath like this one, but sitting in front of a Plasma with the AC blowing on him, while consuming some brew....

PLaw
10/7/2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, I'll take that "no choice" to the bank all day long.

BOOMER
PLaw

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 08:12 AM
I think the Texas DB was shocked to see DM do his Billy Sims fly over and he was getting ready for some cheap shot mop up and all of the sudden thought, woops. Thx for the YouTube, I haven't run it back on the DVR yet. That had to be exciting for DM. Breaking one against Texass in the cotton bowl and as you go down the sideline running right by the whole Sooner crowd who is absolutely going nuts. Short of hitting a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th of the 7th game to win the world series, as a Sooner sport's fan, I can't think of anything more exciting in sport than in a tight cotton bowl game to blow completely by the Texas D while heading right for the Sooner end of the Cotton Bowl. Of course, for Bradford, being Sooner Born and Bread, throwing 3 TD passes to beat Texas in the RRS is probably pretty close.

OUHOMER
10/7/2007, 08:17 AM
after watching Murray for the first time

which means to me, HE has not watch OU play before. So therefore he has no credibility at all.

Texas Golfer
10/7/2007, 08:54 AM
Ahhh, I miss the good old days when reporters reported the news instead of creating the news like they do today. Every correspondent should refrain from giving their uneducated opinions on subjects of which they have no knowledge.

sooner_born_1960
10/7/2007, 08:57 AM
Number 9 in White comes the closest to catching DM.

Rogue
10/7/2007, 09:06 AM
No apology necessary AS, looks like we both found it about the same time. His comments about Stoops sound like he just began watching football and wants to Sunday morning QB the college coaching game. DM is flashy and a great runner for sure, but only a true dumbass would let AP sit on the bench. I think our staff does a good job of getting so much of our talent involved in the game, except for Kelly vs. CU.

Rogue
10/7/2007, 09:07 AM
He's a little off, but not in a ****** kind of way. Just in a sports-uninformed kind of way.

r5TPsooner
10/7/2007, 09:42 AM
Pounded like a malt liquor? WTF?

He should have said pounded like most guys do his girlfriend.

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 09:44 AM
After watching that you-tube over and over, that jump over the pile and hit the ground full stride without missing a beat reminds me of Joe Washington. That'll definitely find it's way to my great Sooner running back compilation on my hard drive.

SoonerBOI
10/7/2007, 09:57 AM
Murray, Murray, Murray. Sky is the limit for you DM!

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2007, 10:07 AM
Texas didn't look like the team that got smoked at home by Kansas State. Texas looked like a team that could beat the heavily favored Sooners. So there was Stoops' starting tailback sprawled on the Cotton Bowl field -- toes pointing upward -- like he was asleep, unconscious or dead. Stoops had no choice. He sent Murray onto the field.

Gutsy call, sending Murray in to replace Patrick. What a desperate move. ;)

Leroy Lizard
10/7/2007, 10:10 AM
I like Johnnie Walker Blue, it's been pounded for six years.

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 10:13 AM
Those channel 5 Gif's are nice. I thought they were flash until I download them.

stoopified
10/7/2007, 10:13 AM
Does this NO CHOICE crap refer to Tashard no longer being at OU?If so it is accurate,if not this moron has forgotten about Brown and Madu.Madu is the best 4th team TB in THE BIG 12.

aero
10/7/2007, 10:29 AM

So true and so sweet. :D

birddog
10/7/2007, 10:38 AM

that's juaquin.
heh. looks like we don't need names on the jerseys after all.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2007, 10:54 AM
Murray is not an every-down back. Patrick runs North-South.

i do agree that Murray made # 38 for Texas look slow as gravy. and i bet the kid can run. part of it is the angle, and #38 on the off-step...but still, they are running step for step after about the UT 45.

http://i23.tinypic.com/2zprw46.gif
DeMarco should get more touches, and we were saying that yesterday before Patrick got hurt; they are both excellent backs, but IMO DeMarco is better at finding a cutback lane and getting yardage when there may not be anything there at the designed hole

adoniijahsooner
10/7/2007, 11:06 AM
With the sort of running plays that sooners run, Demarco is a better fit because he can choose his whole much better than AP, but with a fullback between the tackles ill take AP all day long. They are both good just in different ways.

rubyspirit
10/7/2007, 11:48 AM
DeMarco is awesome. I'm get so excited when I see 7 on the field.

GottaHavePride
10/7/2007, 12:19 PM
Pounded like a malt liquor? WTF?

He should have said pounded like most guys do his girlfriend.

Dude, did you just call Demarco Murray's girlfriend a ho?

;)

OUGuf
10/7/2007, 12:25 PM
Its going to be great watching him get better over this season and starting next. I think next years team is freaking scary with a more wise Bradford, and starting Murray.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2007, 12:37 PM
With the sort of running plays that sooners run, Demarco is a better fit because he can choose his whole much better than AP, but with a fullback between the tackles ill take AP all day long. They are both good just in different ways.
Which begs the question why don't we run more I-formation stuff? IMO, to run the one back shotgun and run the ball, you need a shifty type back, not a straight ahead plugger.

tulsaoilerfan
10/7/2007, 01:04 PM
Murray should be starting now IMO; nothing against Patrick, but he just brings a different dimension back there.

Partial Qualifier
10/7/2007, 01:09 PM
he's got some jets on him! :cool:

SoonerObsession
10/7/2007, 03:40 PM
He sure made that Texas DB look slow. That guy had an angle and Murray just left him. I love what the sideline reporter said..."It must be a sick feeling when you're chasing the guy with the ball and you just know you can never catch him." :D

47straight
10/7/2007, 04:14 PM
AP had worn those linebackers and db's down with some good if not especially productive running for three quarters. DM comes in a little fresher and can capitalize on it. I'm bloody glad we had both talented guys.

Football is the ultimate team sport. That writer doesn't realize it.

silverwheels
10/7/2007, 04:21 PM

Patrick did better against Tulsa than any other back. It mostly depends on what defenses are willing to give us, which is why it's so great to have 3 very talented, yet different RBs.

goingoneight
10/7/2007, 04:39 PM
47Straight and silverwheels are both right. It is a team sport. It also has to do with how much a guy is getting fed the football. He can read the defense and note the tendencies. Murray has progressively gotten better with each game so far and if I were a :stunned:, I'd be thinking about how they're going to stop him from going 300 yards on their arses.
Remember how some of Peterson's best runs weren't necessarily when he was "fresh" but rather when he had gotten settled down and got a feel for the opposing defense? Guys communicate in the huddle different ways to block, too.