PDA

View Full Version : Kicking & Special Teams

zeke
10/6/2007, 07:44 PM
Before the season started, I thought that our kicking game would make the difference in a tight game or two with field position and field goals.

I was thinking that on kick-offs we would be able to get it deep into the endzone, even with the new rule.

And I thought we would be lights out on field goals.

I also never figured our special teams play would be so suspect on both ends. I dont remember a recent year that it has been like it has been the last two weeks.

Our punter does a great job. I wish we would not see him again this year.

BOOMER SOONER

OUinFLA
10/6/2007, 07:57 PM
Our punter does a great job. I wish we would not see him again this year.

:D that just doesn't sound ................ well ........ right.

But, I agree.

aurorasooner
10/6/2007, 08:13 PM
The ball may have been heavy today because of the high humidity (although Bradford didn't seem to have any problems. It may be why he wasn't throwing a little high like in Boulder). I really don't understand what's happening with his FGs. Just no excuse for a kicker of his quality to be missing those EP and medium short FGs. It's got to be mental. That could have been a killer miss today. We need to have him altogether for Missouri.

Curly Bill
10/7/2007, 01:03 AM
Hartley was supposedly a bit hurt earlier in the year - groin injury? Anybody know if he's still knicked up? Making that 70 yarder in warmup up in Colo. says maybe he's not.

LittleWingSooner
10/7/2007, 01:13 AM
Punting has been good. The kickoff rule looks to have really effected Garrett and I didn't think it would.

Scott D
10/7/2007, 01:26 AM
you could make all kinds of arguments about where the deficiencies are. One could argue that it makes more sense to not have a player who has just finished a defensive series returning punts because of a fatigue possibility. one could argue that letting Hartley kick 70 yarders during warmups isn't exactly in anyone's best interests.

But really what's the answer? Yearners of yesteryear will blame the decline in special teams on the departure of a coach to the NFL. Others will say that it's because there isn't as much of a focus on it as there was in the past. In the end all anyone can really do is hope that the problems manage to correct themselves as the year goes on. well that and bitch about it because they don't have anything better to do ;)

Crucifax Autumn
10/7/2007, 04:29 AM
We sucked on special teams today, but I see flashes of what could be...

We were slightly out of position when texass was returning punts and kickoffs, but not seriously...just enough to give 'em room to run. We missed some tackles we should had and I think that can be corrected.

The penalties were basically dumb crap that can be changed easy enough after stoops chews some asses this week.

Reggie looked better fielding the ball, though his returns weren't pretty. As long as he catches the ball clean, he's eventually gonna start breaking some, though I do think Murray or soem other offensive player oughtta be returning punts, particularly after longer drives or drives where Reggie's been worked hard.

Overall, I think the problems should be pretty easy to correct..If not, bench some special teams guys and let 'em know that crappy performance won't be rewarded.

zeke
10/7/2007, 07:18 AM
you could make all kinds of arguments about where the deficiencies are. One could argue that it makes more sense to not have a player who has just finished a defensive series returning punts because of a fatigue possibility. one could argue that letting Hartley kick 70 yarders during warmups isn't exactly in anyone's best interests.

But really what's the answer? Yearners of yesteryear will blame the decline in special teams on the departure of a coach to the NFL. Others will say that it's because there isn't as much of a focus on it as there was in the past. In the end all anyone can really do is hope that the problems manage to correct themselves as the year goes on. well that and bitch about it because they don't have anything better to do ;)

No bitching just a little :confused: about how things have gone

King Crimson
10/7/2007, 07:29 AM
special teams have gone from a strength to a question mark. they were bad even in 04. we giftwrap 14 points at Pokie State with bad special teams and make a close game out of one that didn't have to be.

Reggie Smith catches a punt, i think we win last week.

soonerP_A_C
10/7/2007, 09:04 AM
I hope Hartley gets his head straight... The last thing we need down the stretch is another Trey DiCarlo head-case...

Texas Golfer
10/7/2007, 09:08 AM
Special teams are our biggest weakness. We lost to Colorado on special teams play. Our punt returner muffs the ball, they score. We let their punt returner get a huge return to set up the game winning FG on the last play.

Texas had huge returns on us yesterday. Hartley is a shadow of his former self. He's missed XP attempts and chip shot FGs this season.

We definitely need to re-evaluate our special teams and the special teams coaching.

aurorasooner
10/7/2007, 09:17 AM
Speaking of Hartley. What ever happened to the guy that he replaced. (name's on the tip of my tongue but can't remember it--the one who came in at the last minute to replace that AA Montana head-case recruit no-show kicker). That guy looked all-world as a rook, then all of the sudden just dropped off the map.

Rogue
10/7/2007, 09:21 AM
Kickoff coverage was especially bad yesterday. UT's returner was also very slippery and good so, not taking anything away from him, but our coverage was bad.

The rest of the ST play was decent, IMO.

Scott D
10/7/2007, 10:13 AM
No bitching just a little :confused: about how things have gone

I'm not picking on anyone zeke, but special teams has often been a subject in the post Jonathan Hayes as a coach at OU days. Special teams is going to be confusing for the most talented teams a lot of the time.

you'd be hard pressed to say that the Texas team that had pretty good coverage all day yesterday was the same team that got gashed consistently by K-State the week before, and played suspect for stretches earlier in the year as well.

the biggest concern I'd carry into Missouri would be how the last two weeks the running lanes have been there for both Colorado and Texas on kickoffs.