View Full Version : Austin Statesman Article on Stoop/Brown

Redshirt
10/5/2007, 11:10 AM
COMMENTARY: KIRK BOHLS

Stoops, Brown polar opposites
One demands accountability; other pats backs
Click-2-Listen
Friday, October 05, 2007
NORMAN, Okla. — Count up the national championships. Circle the number of All-Americans. Figure up the conference titles, the records, the number of interceptions Chris Simms threw or the touchdown passes that Texas' Roy Williams never caught in this rivalry. Take any measurement you like.

Any comparisons between the overall football programs at Oklahoma and Texas — of late — come down to one monumental difference.

Accountability.

Bob Stoops demands it.

Mack Brown requests it.

OU operates with more of a no-nonsense, no-excuse approach than Texas, and that philosophy starts at the top.

Both head coaches are recruiting the same living rooms, chasing the same blue-chippers, wooing the same moms. They're coaching the same top-level athletes, as evidenced by the 22 All-Americans and 32 NFL draft choices to come out of Norman during Stoops' tenure, and the 27 All-Americans and 33 NFL draft picks to come out of Austin since Brown's arrival at UT. They both have solid staffs, Greg Davis' latest brain lapses notwithstanding, and have sent nine assistants to college head coaching gigs.

They remain the two flagship programs in the Big 12. Stoops has won five games in this series, Mack has won four.

But the two head coaches bring vastly divergent philosophies to the table, and it seems to be a pivotal reason that OU has won four conference titles in Stoops' previous eight seasons, while Texas has won just one in Brown's nine. Stoops calls a spade a spade. Mack calls it an elongated tool for digging soil.

"It's just my nature. I'm pretty matter of fact," Stoops said before insisting he in no way compares himself to Mack. "I'm not much for calling things other than what it is."

Both teams are clear reflections of their head coaches in every sense. The Sooners come off as cocksure sorts, full of bluster and willing to back it up. Recent police blotters aside, the Longhorns have been viewed as goody-two-cleats who play hard and do not want to disappoint their coach or teammates, que sera sera.

"Our coaches are the greatest guys in the world," Longhorns senior center Dallas Griffin said. "We'd love to be a reflection of coach Brown. He's a father figure to a lot of the guys."

But even a father has to spank once in a while. It absolutely devastates Brown to be critical of a player, and Stoops said he prefers to criticize an area of the game rather than specific players.

After OU's shocking loss to Colorado last week, Stoops said his team was "not very smart," his receivers dropped four balls, and his cornerbacks didn't play very well.

Marcus Walker agreed. And he's one of those cornerbacks.

"We're 21, 22 years old," said Walker, a senior. "We've got to be accountable and own up to our mistakes. That's one of the main reasons 80 to 90 percent of the players come here."

Such accountability seeps through on the field, in postgame interviews, in the way the Sooners carry themselves. They take no prisoners. The Longhorns seem to be imprisoned by the fact they want to be nice guys and, consequently, may have become complacent and lost their edge. Texas' players and head coach never articulate a burning, gut-wrenching hatred of losing.

We're still waiting for a Longhorn to do his best Mike Hart impersonation this season, to stand up boldly and defiantly guarantee a win over OU. Worked for James Brown against Nebraska a while back. Senior linebacker Scott Derry, for example, is a fine, upstanding player who said the Texas leaders stood up at the team's Sunday meeting and addressed the rest. And who are those leaders?

"I don't want to mention names," Derry said.

Excuse me. Aren't leaders supposed to be public? When is someone going to step up and take charge of this team?

Derek Lokey adamantly defends his coach's approach and underscores the players' deep-seated respect for Brown.

"The thing you've got to understand about coach Brown is he takes care of the players so well," the Longhorns' defensive tackle said. "Instead of launching a tirade, he can whisper something to you, and it has the same affect. One little whisper opposed to someone who goes crazy and embarrasses a guy. But he's not soft, I guarantee you that. He's a tough ball coach, and he demands results.

"That's how he eats — by winning. He can't be soft and stay here 10 years."

But the very public perception persists of Mack clapping on the sideline. February's Coach has become Coach Clapper. Few would be offended if Brown raised his voice to admonish a player, not to embarrass him, but to correct him. Doing so wouldn't mean he cares about his players less. Football is a violent, contact sport best played by angry people. Darrell Royal used to say as much.

Stoops understands that better and exudes toughness.

Mack exudes class, an excellent attribute but not as relevant during those critical 60 minutes every Saturday.

Stoops' players would run through a brick wall for him. Mack's players have way too much respect for those who took the time and energy to construct the brick wall and, therefore, would look for an alternative route to the other side.

"Coach Stoops has always been one to call it like it is," OU defensive end Auston English said. "We don't sit around here saying, 'What if? What if? What if?' We always find being straightforward to be the best way."

As a result, Stoops' Sooners have won a national championship and played for two others. Mack's Longhorns have won one. Neither is very accustomed to losing, but there's even a difference there.

After losses, Stoops comes off as angry. Mack comes off as, well, confused.

Because he's ticked off, there is even a bit of fear of Stoops among his players.

"Sort of," OU linebacker Lewis Baker said. "But not a bad fear. He just has you on your toes."

Which is better than on your heels.

[email protected]; 445-3772

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/05/1005bohls.html

sanantoniosooner
10/5/2007, 11:17 AM
goood article

sooner518
10/5/2007, 11:18 AM
We're 21, 22 years old," said Walker, a senior.

[hairGel] Still not a man [hairGel]

Wishboned
10/5/2007, 11:20 AM
Stoops' players would run through a brick wall for him. Mack's players have way too much respect for those who took the time and energy to construct the brick wall and, therefore, would look for an alternative route to the other side.

Either that or they'd steal a ladder to try and climb over.

OKC-SLC
10/5/2007, 11:48 AM
heh.

OKC-SLC
10/5/2007, 11:49 AM
By the way, on Fox Sports's RRS preview show, Bohls predicted OU by a couple TDs.

kevpks
10/5/2007, 11:51 AM
By the way, on Fox Sports's RRS preview show, Bohls predicted OU by a couple TDs.

Mark May and Craig James didn't give a score last night but both predicted OU to win big.

MichiganSooner
10/5/2007, 12:02 PM
Good article. Now go to liberty mutual and vote Coach Stoops the Coach of the Year. He is in 3rd place right now.

http://www.coachoftheyear.com/

mfosterftw
10/5/2007, 12:05 PM
Either that or they'd steal a ladder to try and climb over.

I was thinking steal a car and try to drive it through the wall...

Widescreen
10/5/2007, 12:59 PM
I've found a new sig.

OUMedMan
10/5/2007, 01:54 PM
It looks to me like's it's pretty much a wash between the two.

OU's biggest claim to advantage is appearing in 3 NC games instead of 1.

However, USC should have been playing in one of those games (courtesy of a 38-7 (? memory is fading. . . ) spanking at the hands of KSU) and Auburn should have played in the other one (and I don't need to mention the score of that particular game, which would have been much nicer if it was administered to the War Eagles rather than the Sooners).

Having said that, I suspect Stoops and company will prevail over Brown's boys by about 3-4 touchdowns.

47straight
10/5/2007, 02:48 PM
Often Kirk Bohls is the only media in Austin willing to criticize Mack. It's amusing to listen to the fans go nuts as a result.

sanantoniosooner
10/5/2007, 04:52 PM

how about Conference championships? 4 to 1 and in less years.

We don't need you on the debate team.

Thanks for dropping by.

and the more I read your post, the more I think you're not what you appear to be.

Blue
10/5/2007, 08:09 PM

However, USC should have been playing in one of those games (courtesy of a 38-7 (? memory is fading. . . ) spanking at the hands of KSU) and Auburn should have played in the other one (and I don't need to mention the score of that particular game, which would have been much nicer if it was administered to the War Eagles rather than the Sooners).

Having said that, I suspect Stoops and company will prevail over Brown's boys by about 3-4 touchdowns.

We were just as deserving as anyone else to be in those games regardless of the score.

Flagstaffsooner
10/5/2007, 08:15 PM
how about Conference championships? 4 to 1 and in less years.

We don't need you on the debate team.

Thanks for dropping by.

and the more I read your post, the more I think you're not what you appear to be.Oh, I think he is on meds for sure.

Sooner1979
10/5/2007, 08:16 PM
UT players would see that the "bricks" represent a quantitiy of THC that could probably be A.) sold B.) smoked C.) both sold and smoked...

r5TPsooner
10/5/2007, 08:31 PM
goood article

Wrong! That was a GREAT article.

Spek

utex74
10/5/2007, 08:35 PM
COMMENTARY: KIRK BOHLS

Stoops, Brown polar opposites
One demands accountability; other pats backs
Click-2-Listen
Friday, October 05, 2007
NORMAN, Okla. — Count up the national championships. Circle the number of All-Americans. Figure up the conference titles, the records, the number of interceptions Chris Simms threw or the touchdown passes that Texas' Roy Williams never caught in this rivalry. Take any measurement you like.

Any comparisons between the overall football programs at Oklahoma and Texas — of late — come down to one monumental difference.

Accountability.

Bob Stoops demands it.

Mack Brown requests it.

OU operates with more of a no-nonsense, no-excuse approach than Texas, and that philosophy starts at the top.

Both head coaches are recruiting the same living rooms, chasing the same blue-chippers, wooing the same moms. They're coaching the same top-level athletes, as evidenced by the 22 All-Americans and 32 NFL draft choices to come out of Norman during Stoops' tenure, and the 27 All-Americans and 33 NFL draft picks to come out of Austin since Brown's arrival at UT. They both have solid staffs, Greg Davis' latest brain lapses notwithstanding, and have sent nine assistants to college head coaching gigs.

They remain the two flagship programs in the Big 12. Stoops has won five games in this series, Mack has won four.

But the two head coaches bring vastly divergent philosophies to the table, and it seems to be a pivotal reason that OU has won four conference titles in Stoops' previous eight seasons, while Texas has won just one in Brown's nine. Stoops calls a spade a spade. Mack calls it an elongated tool for digging soil.

"It's just my nature. I'm pretty matter of fact," Stoops said before insisting he in no way compares himself to Mack. "I'm not much for calling things other than what it is."

Both teams are clear reflections of their head coaches in every sense. The Sooners come off as cocksure sorts, full of bluster and willing to back it up. Recent police blotters aside, the Longhorns have been viewed as goody-two-cleats who play hard and do not want to disappoint their coach or teammates, que sera sera.

"Our coaches are the greatest guys in the world," Longhorns senior center Dallas Griffin said. "We'd love to be a reflection of coach Brown. He's a father figure to a lot of the guys."

But even a father has to spank once in a while. It absolutely devastates Brown to be critical of a player, and Stoops said he prefers to criticize an area of the game rather than specific players.

After OU's shocking loss to Colorado last week, Stoops said his team was "not very smart," his receivers dropped four balls, and his cornerbacks didn't play very well.

Marcus Walker agreed. And he's one of those cornerbacks.

"We're 21, 22 years old," said Walker, a senior. "We've got to be accountable and own up to our mistakes. That's one of the main reasons 80 to 90 percent of the players come here."

Such accountability seeps through on the field, in postgame interviews, in the way the Sooners carry themselves. They take no prisoners. The Longhorns seem to be imprisoned by the fact they want to be nice guys and, consequently, may have become complacent and lost their edge. Texas' players and head coach never articulate a burning, gut-wrenching hatred of losing.

We're still waiting for a Longhorn to do his best Mike Hart impersonation this season, to stand up boldly and defiantly guarantee a win over OU. Worked for James Brown against Nebraska a while back. Senior linebacker Scott Derry, for example, is a fine, upstanding player who said the Texas leaders stood up at the team's Sunday meeting and addressed the rest. And who are those leaders?

"I don't want to mention names," Derry said.

Excuse me. Aren't leaders supposed to be public? When is someone going to step up and take charge of this team?

Derek Lokey adamantly defends his coach's approach and underscores the players' deep-seated respect for Brown.

"The thing you've got to understand about coach Brown is he takes care of the players so well," the Longhorns' defensive tackle said. "Instead of launching a tirade, he can whisper something to you, and it has the same affect. One little whisper opposed to someone who goes crazy and embarrasses a guy. But he's not soft, I guarantee you that. He's a tough ball coach, and he demands results.

"That's how he eats — by winning. He can't be soft and stay here 10 years."

But the very public perception persists of Mack clapping on the sideline. February's Coach has become Coach Clapper. Few would be offended if Brown raised his voice to admonish a player, not to embarrass him, but to correct him. Doing so wouldn't mean he cares about his players less. Football is a violent, contact sport best played by angry people. Darrell Royal used to say as much.

Stoops understands that better and exudes toughness.

Mack exudes class, an excellent attribute but not as relevant during those critical 60 minutes every Saturday.

"Coach Stoops has always been one to call it like it is," OU defensive end Auston English said. "We don't sit around here saying, 'What if? What if? What if?' We always find being straightforward to be the best way."

As a result, Stoops' Sooners have won a national championship and played for two others. Mack's Longhorns have won one. Neither is very accustomed to losing, but there's even a difference there.

After losses, Stoops comes off as angry. Mack comes off as, well, confused.

Because he's ticked off, there is even a bit of fear of Stoops among his players.

"Sort of," OU linebacker Lewis Baker said. "But not a bad fear. He just has you on your toes."

Which is better than on your heels.

[email protected]; 445-3772

Find this article at:
http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/05/1005bohls.html

Gotta hand it to the local guys for their support. I have been in OKC for two years and have never seen your paper rip OU the way ours has ripped UT the past two weeks with its series on athletics funding and now this *******.

Cam
10/5/2007, 08:41 PM
I actually used Stoops' & Brown's attitude/demeanor as an example in a skip level 1x1 earlier this week. They both mirror the attitude/demeanor of the people where they live, it's why they fit so well were they're at.

Flagstaffsooner
10/5/2007, 08:43 PM
Gotta hand it to the local guys for their support. I have been in OKC for two years and have never seen your paper rip OU the way ours has ripped UT the past two weeks with its series on athletics funding and now this *******.You must not read the DO.:confused:

soonerloyal
10/5/2007, 08:53 PM
Even in an article designed to give Okahoma and Stoops props, the farkin' texan writer manages to insult.

I look at them as Army vs. the Corps.

Brown is Army. Has a bigger budget, bigger draw, wonderful tradition (deservedly so). Stoops, like the Marines (talk about TRADITION!), has to operate from a smaller yet more refined budget and a much smaller base. Yet what does Stoops produce?

When you think of the BEST of the branches, the United States Marine Corps is the first choice - and in Big 12, it's Oklahoma.

You want easier? Texas. Mack will clap yer six to comfort and excuses. You want challenge? Oklahoma doesn't ask, it DEMANDS. Like the Corps, Stoops and the Sooners don't make it easy. They don't give you "Here's what we'll do for your kid..." It's "Sooooo, what can your kid offer this Dynasty? Here's what we'll do - in return for his 110%..."

That's what convinced me that my sons were going with the best with the USMC...and I'm convinced that Oklahoma continues its' excellence - and raises the bar with what we offer every passing year.

We all are blessed, and NEED - with every branch - and the country is better off with the Big 12. But I expect from & want the best for my kids...and I want the best for my team as well. We need them all. But if you're gonna choose - choose #1.

Boomer Sooner and OOH-RAH.

P.S. I have an "adopted" son with the 101st - he's an AWESOME medic. NOBODY disses the Army to THIS Mama. But do I interfere when my 7051 Marine gives him a hard time? Nope. But I have been known to mow down anyone else who tries to give "my" Army dawg a hard time. God bless our Army. And all the other branches. But ooooohhhh Lordy - Thank GAWD for the Unted States Marine Corps.

On the other hand, TEXAS still SUCKS.

Vegas Vic
10/5/2007, 09:15 PM
We were just as deserving as anyone else to be in those games regardless of the score.

I'm a huge OU fan, but when you get your *** handed to you in the conference championship game, you don't deserve to play for the National Championship.

bluedogok
10/5/2007, 09:16 PM
I was thinking steal a car and try to drive it through the wall...
Nah...they would smoke a bowl and wait for it to disappear......

soonerboomer93
10/5/2007, 09:17 PM
You must not read the DO.:confused:

well, to be fair, NO ONE reads the DO

and Stoops doesn't exactly have much patience for the local media so they might be wary of getting on his bad side...

KantoSooner
10/5/2007, 10:02 PM
How can UT players on the one hand be a bunch of softies who are just not as violent or driven as OU's players and on the other be invading people's homes and 'kickin' b*tchs?

Vague inconsistency. No?

How about this conclusion, instead: Mack and his team are a bunch of 'All hat, no cattle' scumbags who are going to get owned and sold cheap by Bob Stoops and his team......in about 16 hours.

insuranceman_22
10/6/2007, 01:38 AM
This game needs to hurry and get here!!!!!

Choctaw
10/6/2007, 05:52 AM
Austin is eating its young. I like that.

PLaw
10/6/2007, 10:48 AM

Spot on, OUMedMan.

BOOMER
PLaw

MextheBulldog
10/6/2007, 11:29 AM
This game needs to hurry and get here!!!!!

Cannot get here fast enough...

Stitch Face
10/6/2007, 11:42 AM
When you think of the BEST of the branches, the United States Marine Corps is the first choice

I don't mean to drag this thread further off course, but the Marines are the "BEST" branch at one thing...killing other people in ground combat (an essential task, for sure, during wartime.) But I probably wouldn't entrust them with the management of nuclear weapons, deploying satellites, logistics of moving troops and cargo, etc.

"BEST" is relative to what your role in the war is. Just sayin.'