PDA

View Full Version : Poles!

the_edge
10/5/2007, 01:55 AM
For years, we've been complaining about the politics of the AP and coaches' polls.

However, this week I've realized something, and I apologize if it's been brought up in another thread this week.

If Colorado's kicker sucks a bit worse, OU is ranked 3rd. So, the difference between OU being ranked 3rd and 10th is the quality of Colorado's kicker. Huh?

I understand that winning is winning and losing is losing, but dropping 7 places since that kick went through the uprights? Sure, OU would have needed to win in overtime, but that drop is classic poll voting BS.

I understand that in "our system" that rankings have to take losses into account, but why so much? Let's say you're playing a team that's your equal, why is a home win by 1 point so much better than a road loss by 1 point?

Voters don't vote based on how good they think a team is. It's based on some archaic algorithm that states that a team that loses moves down, and the teams behind them that win must move up.

Nobody in their right mind would say that Cal, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Boston College, South Florida, or Kentucky would come within 14 points of OU if both teams played their "A" games on a neutral field.

The voters need to vote based on how good they think the teams are, period.

Honestly, I think Vegas odds is a better indicator of relative team strength than any of the polls.

Vote on the teams, not on their records. I don't understand why that has to be so difficult.

goingoneight
10/5/2007, 01:57 AM
Heh, we dropped almost out of the poles after beating UAB. We were ranked 5th, and despite looking the part of overrated, we still won and no one else aside form the SUC at Arkincest looked like world-beaters that day, either.

soonersn2007
10/5/2007, 02:50 AM
Vote on the teams, not on their records. I don't understand why that has to be so difficult.

Because you would have people still voting Notre Dame in the top 10. To be honest, I'm sick of the whole system and don't have much tolerance to even debate it anymore. Which is what the phat cat bowl system people want anyhow, until there is a playoff, we are just ****ing in the wind.

Crucifax Autumn
10/5/2007, 03:11 AM
And the wind keeps blowing.