PDA

View Full Version : Go Idaho State Bengals!

Rogue
10/4/2007, 08:45 PM
Saturday the Idaho State Bengals play the Northern Colorado Bears.

At halftime, my great uncle Italo J. "Babe" Caccia will be honored.
ISU is naming the field "Caccia Field." About damn time I say.
Uncle Italo turned 90 this week. I tried to fly him out to watch the Tennessee v. Notre Dame game last year, but his health wouldn't allow it. Born to Italian immigrants and raised by his uncle, he and my grandfather both served in WWII. Poppie was in the Army, Uncle Italo was in the Navy.

Uncle Italo is the only city councilman in his hometown that is not LDS to be elected in a town that is 90% LDS. A gregarious fellow who was always "into sports" according to our 87 year old cousin Mary who lives a few miles from me now here in Tennessee and still makes a mean chicken cacciatore (hunter's chicken.) A humble guy, Uncle Italo and his lifelong friend Milton "Dubby" Holt built what they believe to be the first permanent indoor college football stadium. We called it "the minidome" growing up and the folks here in East Tennessee liked it so well they flew up to Pocatello to get the blueprints. When I tell them my uncle and his buddy contracted the building to a crew of guys that built potato cellars and that is the reason for the unusual shape, they look at me like I'm crazy. I know better. The dome is now called "Holt Arena" after Dubby. I still do a double take when the locals here call their dome the "mindome."

Uncle Italo coached 2 undefeated football teams around the time a fellow named Wilkinson was doing the same thing in Norman; he was AD when ISU won the National Championship in 1981, and instrumental in the lives of coaches named Koetter, Kragthorpe, and one ESPN announcer, Merrill Hoge. He was a helluva baseball coach and a wrestling coach too. He coached in the CFL and helped the team win a Grey Cup. The guy is one of my heroes and not very well known outside of Pocatello, ID.

http://www2.isu.edu/headlines/?p=749

On Wednesday, Oct. 3, Pocatello residents are invited to help Idaho State University icon Babe Caccia celebrate his 90th birthday.

The public is invited to attend a celebration ISU will host to honor its former athletic star, coach and athletic director. Festivities will be from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Sports & Orthopaedic Center at ISU, adjacent to Holt Arena at 560 Memorial Drive. Birthday cake and hors d’oeuvres will be served.

The birthday party is just one of several ways ISU will honor Caccia during Homecoming week.

Ceremonies prior to ISU’s Oct. 6 Homecoming game with Northern Colorado will be held to name the Holt Arena football field Caccia Field.

“This is a great tribute to Babe, another ISU icon, for his extraordinary achievements that have brought the University national recognition,” says ISU President Arthur C. Vailas, Ph.D. “This is a great opportunity to honor Babe in Holt Arena, a place of Idaho’s true champions.”

“I am extremely pleased and humbled to have the Holt Arena football field named after me,” Caccia says. “I thank everyone involved in according me this great honor.”

Members of Caccia’s undefeated 1952 and 1957 Idaho State College football teams will accompany him on the field for the naming ceremony, and, with Caccia, will be guests of honor at a postgame get-together, from 5 to 7 p.m., sponsored by the ISU Athletic Department at the Red Lion Hotel Pocatello, 1555 Pocatello Creek Road.

ISU has started a fundraising initiative, “Thanks a Million, Babe,” in conjunction with the birthday party and naming ceremony. The initiative is a campaign to raise $1 million in honor of Caccia.

The committee responsible for bringing all the elements of the celebration together includes M.R. “Mick” Mickelson, Paul Bubb, Kent Tingey, Mike Byrne, Scott Hobdey, Andy Akers, Phil Meador and Don Colby.

Anyone wanting information on contributing to “Thanks a Million, Babe” should contact Colby at the ISU Foundation, (208) 282-3470.

Caccia is the winningest coach in ISU’s history in both football and baseball. His career football record, 80-38-2, 67.8 percent, from 1952 to 1965, includes unbeaten seasons in 1952 and 1957 and the 1963 Big Sky Conference championship in the first year of the league’s existence. He also won five Rocky Mountain Conference championships. He coached baseball for eight seasons, 1967-74, and posted a 152-116 record. His 28-5 1968 team is considered the best baseball team in school history.

He was ISU athletic director seven years and assistant athletic director 14 years. One of his hires as athletic director was a great one, head football coach Dave Kragthorpe, who led ISU to the 1981 national championship.

Caccia was an outstanding football player at ISU from 1936-38, and is a member of the ISU Sports Hall of Fame and the Ring of Honor.

He was big in civic involvement after his retirement from ISU. He served as a Pocatello City Councilman and is a founding member of Pocatello’s Sports Committee, which has brought many sporting events, including two NCAA Division I-AA national championship football games, to the Gate City.

Babe met his wife of 33 years, Tracy, while coaching in Edmonton, Alberta, in the Canadian Football League after he’d concluded his ISU coaching career. Tracy, children Heidi, John and Bill, and four grandchildren will all attend the week’s events.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/babe-coachweb.jpg

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=7154301&nav=menu554_4

http://isubengals.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/idsu-m-footbl-body.html

So, on Saturday I'll be watching the OU v. Texas game but a little distracted as my thoughts turn to Idaho and I wish Uncle Italo a great day, a great game, and for his Bengals to be victorious.

Here's to you, man!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/IdSt_2500.gif

Sooner_Bob
10/4/2007, 08:54 PM
Very cool.

Petro-Sooner
10/4/2007, 09:00 PM
Very nice read!!!!!!!!

King Crimson
10/5/2007, 12:50 AM
that's pretty nifty rogue.

Frozen Sooner
10/5/2007, 01:22 AM
My high school wrestling coach wrestled and played football for him. Byron Wilson-won three state football championships and won the Region IV (Anchorage) wrestling tournament 24 years in a row.

Rogue
10/5/2007, 05:47 AM
That's cool, Froz! He's not a name dropper, but knew many of the great old coaches that he talked with often.

ISU's Minidome/Holt Arena

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/dome.jpg

ETSU's Minidome

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/etsu_minidome.jpg

Spud Cellar

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/cjrogue/23.gif

soonerbrat
10/5/2007, 06:18 AM
mi piace - Zio Italo di congratulazioni

Rogue
10/6/2007, 09:05 PM
Idaho St. 26, Northern Colorado 14
:D :D :D

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/176973.html

...the field at Holt Arena will be renamed Caccia Field in honor of Babe Caccia, the school's winningest football, baseball and wrestling coach, who turned 90 on Tuesday.

OCUDad
10/6/2007, 09:15 PM
Congrats, Uncle Babe.

Rogue
1/25/2009, 09:15 AM
Bumpage because I just found out that ISU is going to play in Norman this year.

Rogue
8/30/2009, 08:36 AM
Uncle Italo died Friday night (http://www.idahostatejournal.com/articles/2009/08/30/news/local/1.txt)

Locals fondly recall Caccia
POCATELLO -- Idaho State University sports icon Italo "Babe" Caccia died Friday at Portneuf Medical Center from natural causes, officials said Saturday.

Caccia, just weeks shy of his 92nd birthday, had a long and storied history as a football coach at ISU who also coached baseball and wrestling and later served as the university's athletic director before retiring in 1986.

In October of 2007, as Caccia celebrated his 90th birthday, ISU named its football field after the longtime coach and athletic director.

When Milton "Dubby" Holt hired Glenn Alford as Idaho State's sports information director in 1967, he instructed Alford to visit media outlets all across southern Idaho to meet the reporters with whom he would be working.

Before Alford left, Holt suggested he take then-assistant athletic director Italo "Babe" Caccia with him.

"He said, 'Babe knows everybody,'" Alford said. "I didn't believe him, but I was wrong. Babe does know everybody. We went into a diner in Salmon, and three steps into the diner, everyone was yelling, 'Hey Babe! How you doing?'
"He knew every media guy we ran into. Twin Falls, Mountain Home, Salmon. We went up to Missoula (Mont.), and he knew the people there."

By then, Caccia had already made his mark as a wildly successful Idaho State football coach. But Caccia wasn't done touching lives in Pocatello. He would go on to also coach the Bengals' baseball and wrestling teams, and he later presided over Idaho State's 1981 national championship football team as the school's athletic director.
Even after his retirement from Idaho State, Caccia continued to stay active in the city's sporting scene as a founding member of the Pocatello Sports Committee.

Caccia's contributions to his beloved university and city guarantee that long after his death, which occurred Friday night, his legend live on within local athletic circles.
"Babe was an icon," Idaho State Athletic Director Jeff Tingey said. "He was such an unbelievable man. He did so much for this university. He will always be remembered."

Caccia maintained ties with the Bengals athletic program and football team right up till his death. He paid weekly visits to Idaho State football coach John Zamberlin, and he often also dropped in on Tingey just to chat.
Zamberlin, who spoke at length with Caccia after Idaho State's second preseason scrimmage last Saturday at Holt Arena, said the Bengals will honor Caccia with decals on their helmets.

"Babe is someone who took me under his wing and was a great mentor and a friend," Zamberlin said in a statement. "I learned so much from him. I'm just stunned."
Two years ago, Idaho State honored Caccia by christening Holt Arena's playing surface as Caccia Field during a ceremony before its Homecoming game against Northern Colorado.

Caccia remains the winningest football coach in Bengals history. He played at Idaho State until graduating in 1941, and after assistant coaching stints at Pocatello High and Idaho State, Caccia became the head coach in 1952.
That first year, the Bengals were undefeated and won the Rocky Mountain Conference title. The team pulled off the double again in 1957 and in 1963 won the inaugural Big Sky title. Caccia left the team in 1965 having compiled a 79-38-2 mark and captured six conference championships.

"We've had several coaching icons since Babe," Alford said. "But the thing you are dealing with at Idaho State today is that if you are successful, a larger school is going to come and get you. A Dubby Holt or Babe Caccia who stays at an ISU for 50 years like that is unlikely. It's really been lucky that lightning has struck twice like that at ISU."
Even after stepping down as football coach, Caccia coached the school's baseball (1967-1974) and wrestling (1977-1979) teams while performing his duties as assistant athletic director.

Alford, who shared an office with Caccia during those years, said Caccia served as a fatherly figure not just to him, but to all of his players.
"He had tremendous respect from the guys on his team," said William "Bud" Davis, who was the university's president from 1965 to 1975. "He liked people, and they liked him. He was very comfortable in any situation."

One of Caccia's most significant moves as athletic director was hiring football coach Dave Kragthorpe, who led Idaho State to the 1981 national championship.

But Caccia didn't stop contributing to the university after his retirement. He was one of the founding members of the Pocatello Sports Committee, a volunteer organization that continues today to bring sporting events to the Gate City.

The committee's first significant effort was to bring the 1987 and 1988 Division I-AA (now Football Championship Subdivision) championship games to Holt Arena. Under Caccia's leadership, the committee out-bid then-host Seattle for the right to host the games.

"They took something that was dying in Seattle and brought it to Pocatello and made it a success," said Larry Bell, who was then president of the committee. "And then it got too big for Pocatello."

Caccia remained active on the committee even in recent years. Until last year, he showed up at 6 a.m. to fire the starting gun for each edition of the Idaho State Journal Pocatello Marathon. Caccia was responsible for persuading Nonpareil Potatoes and the United Dairymen of Idaho to provide free hash browns and milk, respectively, at the event.

"If Babe said, 'I'm going to call and ask for something,' you could count on getting it," said Bell, who continues to serve as the marathon's assistant race director. "I don't know how anybody could tell Babe no. I don't think anybody has ever told Babe no."

Bell was simply finding out what Alford had discovered years ago: Caccia has connections with seemingly everyone in the region.

"I don't think there is a finer man that you could find in this community," said Lynne Schultz, current president of the Pocatello Sports Committee. "To have even worked with him in any capacity is a huge honor. I think he lived life the way we all should live life."

This document was originally published online on Sunday, August 30, 2009

When the Bengals come to Norman, those little stickers on their helmets will be to honor this great guy. Rest In Peace Uncle Italo

King Crimson
8/30/2009, 08:45 AM
RIP Italo. my family is also of italian heritage and came west. my g-paw was a local coach/mentor/community type guy when he was alive...so my hat is off to the memory of Uncle Italo.

SoonerStormchaser
8/30/2009, 09:09 AM
Arrivederci

Turd_Ferguson
8/30/2009, 09:17 AM
RIP:(

AlbqSooner
8/30/2009, 09:23 AM
A life well lived. Many people can say their lives were better because he was in it.

picasso
8/30/2009, 09:29 AM
Very cool and congrats!

GottaHavePride
8/30/2009, 10:20 AM
Wow. I missed this one the first time around.

Crucifax Autumn
8/30/2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hear that Rogue. You should be very proud though, to be a member of a family that includes such an inspirational guy.

Tailwind
8/30/2009, 12:50 PM
Pocatello just lost a great citizen. RIP uncle Italo. I lived in Pokey for five years and worked across the street from the campus. My mom is buried there.

swardboy
8/30/2009, 09:10 PM
Condolences Rogue. What a proud history.

OKC-SLC
8/30/2009, 11:43 PM
RIP, Italo.

Thanks for sharing the story, Rogue.

Rogue
8/31/2009, 10:26 PM
vFVf5-GAKY8.

Rogue
9/10/2009, 06:48 PM
Bump. Because we'll prolly never play ISU again.

OUHOMER
9/10/2009, 07:02 PM
he'll be watching. Sorry for your loss