PDA

View Full Version : CU the worst regular season loss for Stoops?

stoopified
10/4/2007, 03:28 PM
This was the claim made by The Oklahoman earlier this week,by Tramel I think.In any case I dd some researchthat would seem IMHO to disprove this loss to the Buffs was Bob' worst regular season loss.My nominees are:

2002 -OU 28-osu 38,we went on to finish $ 5 nationally while osu finshed 8-5 unranked

2002- OU 26-aTm 30,#5 national finish,aTm 6-6,unranked

2001-OU 13-osu 16,OU finshed #6 nationally,osu 4-7,unranked

I would say that all three of these were worse than the CU loss which the local and national press kepp talking up as such a monumental loss.CU could have a winning record this year and prove to be a good team.Personally I have my doubts but I hope I'm wrong.

For a loss to be considered the biggest loss in Bob's career it should involve an excellent team (Top 10 or better) losing to a mediocre team.It is a little early o call CU mediocre just 5 games into the season.

My nominees listed above all fit the bill better than CU at least at this point.To me the 2001 loss to the Cowpukes was the worst ever,as they came into Norman with a 3-7 team and snuffed out all remining national title hopes.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2007, 03:30 PM
TCU in my mind.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2007, 03:31 PM
Those 2002 games were conference road games. **** like that happens all the time. The 16 - 13 game is second in my mind, shouldn't have happened.

SoonerAtKU
10/4/2007, 03:32 PM
OSU 2001, followed by TCU. None of the others even come close, even Colorado. What a stupid article to write.

sooneron
10/4/2007, 03:38 PM
osu 01

CincySooner
10/4/2007, 03:41 PM
we'll have to see how the season plays out.

If CU goes winless from here on out... thats bad.

If CU wins their remaining games until the CCG... thats good.

Tramel is just reacting to the most recent occurence (Oh look Berry.. a kitty!!!!) The 2001 loss to OSU is by far the worst regular season loss as well as the most damaging. It cost OU the BigXII South, a chance at the Big XII, and a chance at the national championship.

sooneron
10/4/2007, 03:43 PM
we'll have to see how the season plays out.

If CU goes winless from here on out... thats bad.

If CU wins their remaining games until the CCG... thats good.

Tramel is just reacting to the most recent occurence (Oh look Berry.. a kitty!!!!) The 2001 loss to OSU is by far the worst regular season loss as well as the most damaging. It cost OU the BigXII South, a chance at the Big XII, and a chance at the national championship.
Yep, you are smart.

Grimey
10/4/2007, 03:43 PM
OSU 2001 is by far the worst. The argument I could see being made for Colorado is that we would have a freakin easy road to the Big 12 championship and possibly Natl championship if we don't trip up in that game. Our schedule set up perfectly. Remember a few weeks ago we just thought if we could beat Miami and Texas we would have it made? Well we killed Miami and if things go the way they should, we should hopefully dominate UTerus.

It would be like in 2000 after Red October we had lost to Baylor or something stupid like that.

stoopified
10/4/2007, 03:44 PM
OSU 2001, followed by TCU. None of the others even come close, even Colorado. What a stupid article to write.
Well thats Berry for ya.

Personally while I was devaststed at the time by OUr 17-10 loss to TCU,they did finish 11-2,so I really did not consider them.

JohnnyMack
10/4/2007, 03:45 PM
The TCU loss set the tone for a turd of a season. It was as unprepared as I've ever seen a Stoops coached team look.

r5TPsooner
10/4/2007, 03:53 PM
TCU in my mind.

Agreed.

TMcGee86
10/4/2007, 04:10 PM
The TCU loss set the tone for a turd of a season. It was as unprepared as I've ever seen a Stoops coached team look.

Agreed. That was a game where you could just look at the players before the game and knew we were in for a beat down, then you could literally see them looking around during the game for someone to tell them what do to.

One of the bad things about losing a lot of seniors in a single year, leadership vacuum.

Although, I went into that season thinking it was going to be tough, and I went into this season unsure of what we had. So I can't put either of these losses at the top.

I would have to say OSU 01.

stoopified
10/4/2007, 04:14 PM
The TCU loss set the tone for a turd of a season. It was as unprepared as I've ever seen a Stoops coached team look.Not trying to start a fight but how does a 7 point season-opening loss to team that finshed 11-2 rank below losing to a 3-7 osu team? On one hand you have a team in OU that ended up subpar by Stoops standards (8-4)losing to a team that finshed 11-2.On the other handYou have a top 10 ranked team losing to a 3-7 team at home late in the season.If this had been a 7-5 TCU team,I could see the point.In the case of '01 osu we lost AT HOME to a 3-7 team and we were in the national title hunt at the time.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2007, 04:15 PM
the 02 osu loss was terrible..I just remember we played 11 men on the line of scrimmage...

OUMonster
10/4/2007, 04:21 PM
I will echo those that say OSU 2001 was the worst

yermom
10/4/2007, 04:23 PM
TCU was good in 2005, losing that game sucked, but it's nowhere near as embarrassing as the 2001 and 2002 losses to OSU

that 2002 game @aTm sucked, but we were in that game, and on the road. i think FGs in the red zone probably doomed us there (just like Oregon and TTech losses) a backup coming in and killing us didn't help much either

sitzpinkler
10/4/2007, 04:26 PM
Losing to those orange clowns in Stillwater is the worst in my eyes. We should never lose to that garbage heap of a team.

yermom
10/4/2007, 04:28 PM
we'll see how Colorado does from here, but if they play like they did against us, they should win the North at least

TUSooner
10/4/2007, 04:35 PM
I'm with the 01 pokies crowd. CU in 07 might turn out to be as bad, if we romp all the rest of the way and CU goes winless, and that loss keeps us out of the MNC hunt. But that's a stretch in the first week of October.

I like the definition that "worst" = great OU team with definite MNC chances losing to a POS team.

silverwheels
10/4/2007, 04:43 PM
All losses suck like Texas, but the worst ones are the games we lose to teams with inferior talent. The worst of those was OSU in 2001. That Cowboys team was horrible.

SoonerGM
10/4/2007, 04:48 PM
remember that CU's losses this season all come from 2 teams that only have 1 loss between them. i think we should have won, but i dont think CU gets enough credit, and they arent as big of a piece of crap as people want to believe.

and i agree, the 01 OSU loss was just stank.

Animal Mother
10/4/2007, 05:20 PM
If you look at it in terms of what it stopped us from attaining, then I would go with Agnes 2001. That kept us out of the BIG 12 title game. Not to mention that late season losses almost always hurt you more. Not to mention if Ferry Tramel wrote the article, he's a skrotum with eyes. I correct myself. He's a skrotum with eyes period.

SteelClip49
10/4/2007, 05:31 PM
I will go with the 2003 Big 12 Title Game. The 2003 season ending debacle is very reminiscent to what Kansas State had in 1998.

Pricetag
10/4/2007, 05:37 PM
A win over OSU in 2001 would have put us in the Big 12 Championship, and we still had a slim chance at the BCS. OSU waited and waited for us to deliver the knock out blow in that game, and we refused to do so. It wasn't until the end that they were emboldened, and they seized the opportunity. No other loss comes even close to that one in terms of bad.

StoopTroup
10/4/2007, 05:41 PM
I'd like another shot at them in the Big XII CG.

I think that would set the record straight on the Boulder loss.

starclassic tama
10/4/2007, 06:12 PM
TCU in my mind.

wrong. we were overrated coming into the year, and TCU was a solid top 25 team. they were simply better than we were, but just because we are OU and they are TCU people have a hard time understanding that.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2007, 06:37 PM
1-OSU 2001
2. ATM 2002
3. Colorado 2007

TCU isn't even a blip on the radar screen considering all we lost from the previous season and the fact they did to 11-2 that year

Harry Beanbag
10/4/2007, 06:41 PM
I will go with the 2003 Big 12 Title Game. The 2003 season ending debacle is very reminiscent to what Kansas State had in 1998.

I was on the 01 OSU bandwagon until this post. That is the most shocking and perplexing loss of the Stoops era IMO, worse even than the GOWWDNS.

cvsooner
10/4/2007, 06:49 PM
I was on the 01 OSU bandwagon until this post. That is the most shocking and perplexing loss of the Stoops era IMO, worse even than the GOWWDNS.

Just to be technical, the thread is the worst "regular season" loss. Doesn't the Big 12 champeenship qualify as post-season?

It was still a bad loss. I'd have to go with the 2001 loss to OSwho, myself. Unranked, at home...man. Shoulda killed 'em.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2007, 06:50 PM
A win over OSU in 2001 would have put us in the Big 12 Championship, and we still had a slim chance at the BCS. OSU waited and waited for us to deliver the knock out blow in that game, and we refused to do so. It wasn't until the end that they were emboldened, and they seized the opportunity. No other loss comes even close to that one in terms of bad.
Conservative play calling and a FG miss by Tim Duncan cost us that one; i remember when he missed thinking that would cost us the game and sure enough it did; it was such a helpless feeling when the offense got the ball back and knowing they had no chance in hell to drive down the field

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/4/2007, 06:54 PM
The 2001 loss to OSU is by far the worst regular season loss as well as the most damaging. It cost OU the BigXII South, a chance at the Big XII, and a chance at the national championship.and, don't you just hate to lose to aggy, of all people?!?!?...HOWEVER, with the lack of O we had that year, I think Miami would have schooled us almost as bad as they did nebbish in the NC game.

goingoneight
10/4/2007, 06:54 PM
OSU 2001, nothing even comes close. How do you only manage 16 points on your home field against the ever-sucky "defense" that OSU has had for the last 90 years or so? How is that possible? OU's defense held the opponent to 16, which normally does the trick. Hell, an even worse OSU team played us in 2005 (vs. a lesser OU team) and they managed 14. On that night, we went from a potential repeat National Championship to a repeat John Boo Blake team.

Needless to say, OSU could win two in a row all over again... they'd still be wearing orange at the end of the day.

Salt City Sooner
10/4/2007, 07:43 PM
OSU '01, ZERO question. In addition to OU, their other 3 wins that year were against La. Tech, 1-AA Northwestern St., & Baylor. Can you say "One of these things, doesn't belong here.....?"

Oh, BTW, TCU went 11-1 in '05. Their letdown at SMU the week following their win in Norman was their only loss of that year.

cvsooner
10/4/2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, the '01 OSU loss, definitely. Colorado, I can see, easier, than that. TCU doesn't seem like such a surprise in retrospect.

Soonerus
10/4/2007, 08:34 PM
Clearly OSU 2001...a dog team somehow won...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/4/2007, 08:49 PM
Even Switzer's guys, when they were extremely good, had some brain-dead games, like the Kansas game in '75, and the Arkansas mystery of '77.

Soonerus
10/4/2007, 08:57 PM
Even Switzer's guys, when they were extremely good, had some brain-dead games, like the Kansas game in '75, and the Arkansas mystery of '77.

The difference I am beginning to notice is Switzer's brain-dead guys found a way to win, most of the time....

BillyBall
10/4/2007, 09:02 PM
You know its really hard to say, I'll go with Texas Tech '99, they blew that year. Spike Dykes last game.... It was great...

Desert Sapper
10/4/2007, 09:03 PM
TCU in my mind.
I concur. Very, very painful.

However, losing to osu like we did in '01 and getting shoved out of the Big XII championship when we could have very easily been in the MNC picture was probably the worst. That osu team sucked and our defense that year was among the best I've seen.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2007, 10:30 PM
You know its really hard to say, I'll go with Texas Tech '99, they blew that year. Spike Dykes last game.... It was great...
No, you have to put that one in perspective; OU was just coming of the Blake fiasco, and you had a team that hadn't quite figured out how to finish games, so IMO it doesn't even come close.

Soonerus
10/4/2007, 10:33 PM
clearly OSU '01 no debate...

CitySooner
10/4/2007, 11:39 PM
Not even close. 2001 OSU at home, they sucked at 3-7, and the mighty Crimson had everything to play for. We were almost 30 frickin' point favorites! The '05 TCU was a stinker, but so was our team at that point in the season. Hell, we didn't even know who our quarterback was. No other game even comes close to 2001.

SoonerGM
10/5/2007, 12:04 AM
i know OSU fans that still reffer back to that game while debating about how great thier team is. yuck.

Harry Beanbag
10/5/2007, 09:07 AM
Just to be technical, the thread is the worst "regular season" loss. Doesn't the Big 12 champeenship qualify as post-season?

It was still a bad loss. I'd have to go with the 2001 loss to OSwho, myself. Unranked, at home...man. Shoulda killed 'em.

You're right. I'm an idiot. :O

cvsooner
10/5/2007, 11:58 AM
Naw, you're not an idiot. We're just so accustomed to winning, the losses are almost inexplicable and extremely frustrating at times.

How spoiled are we? I frequently watch the games wondering not IF we'll win, but by how much. And then we all get on here and gripe and moan about we should've beaten 'em by so many MORE points....rather than just being thankful for the win.

Sometimes I think we forget, you know, there's another team on the field, that's worked hard and takes as much pride in playing the game well as we do. And sometimes, you come out a few points behind, despite your best efforts.

OU has a great program, a great tradition and a great future. We want to win it all every season and the goals never change. Win each game, win the Big 12 South, win the Big 12, win a BCS bowl, which hopefully is the NC game. That's really all you can shoot for.

Boomer!

Stoop Dawg
10/5/2007, 12:13 PM
How spoiled are we? I frequently watch the games wondering not IF we'll win, but by how much. And then we all get on here and gripe and moan about we should've beaten 'em by so many MORE points....rather than just being thankful for the win.

In all seriousness, it wasn't until the muffed punt in the 4th that it even occurred to me that CU might actually win. Up to that point, I was sitting there being disappointed that we weren't going to win BIG.

fwsooner22
10/5/2007, 12:18 PM
TCU was a "bad" loss but they were a top 25 team and they have been for 5 years, until now that is.................

ruf/nekdad
10/5/2007, 12:19 PM
In all seriousness, it wasn't until the muffed punt in the 4th that it even occurred to me that CU might actually win. Up to that point, I was sitting there being disappointed that we weren't going to win BIG.

Ain't it the truth. Maybe there should be a 12 step program of some kind.

Grimey
10/5/2007, 03:21 PM

You know, I actually told my wife before he muffed that punt that he would probably do that. I don't know, I just had that terrible feeling already by that point. Like a guillotine just about to fall.

I do agree with the poster that brought up K-State in 2003. That one came out of nowhere. We had people making up signs dissing the North and fully expecting us to kill the Mildcats. People were still calling us the best team in history until they made us look like chumps.

misplaced_sooner
10/5/2007, 03:32 PM
Not even close. 2001 OSU at home, they sucked at 3-7, and the mighty Crimson had everything to play for. We were almost 30 frickin' point favorites! The '05 TCU was a stinker, but so was our team at that point in the season. Hell, we didn't even know who our quarterback was. No other game even comes close to 2001.

Couldn't agree more!

Andrew