PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

soonermix
10/4/2007, 12:55 PM
i have argued this point with a few of my coworkers in the past and i was wondering .....

which is better ?

1) making it to the national championship game and losing
or
2) not making it at all and winning the lesser bowl game

SteelCitySooner
10/4/2007, 12:57 PM
Option 1 is ALWAYS better. Can't win it unless you are there.

Vic n Tulsa
10/4/2007, 01:04 PM
i have argued this point with a few of my coworkers in the past and i was wondering .....

which is better ?

or

You tell us, which felt worse?

1) Getting the snott beat out of you by USC or

2) gut wrenching loss to Boise?

I would think the feeling and ridicule are about the same.....

jccouger
10/4/2007, 01:06 PM
Winning is always better, but you will never know if you could have won unless you got there.

aero
10/4/2007, 01:51 PM
The goal of every football team is to win the championship. If your goal is anything less you've already lost (and most likely are an aggie). And you can't win the championship if you aint playin' in it.

As much as that azzwhuppin we took from the condems and the loss in the sugar bowl hurt, I'd take being in those games still over a consolation prize.

Curly Bill
10/4/2007, 02:09 PM
Of course you want to get to the national championship game, but if you're not going to win it I think you're better off winning a lesser bowl game...as long as it's not too much of a lesser bowl, say for instance winning one of the other BCS games.

I'm not totally sold on this opinion I might add, but I like the idea of ending the season on a winning note, as long as it's a worthwhile win and not a win over some 6-6 team in a 2nd or 3rd tier bowl.

r5TPsooner
10/4/2007, 02:11 PM
You tell us, which felt worse?

1) Getting the snott beat out of you by USC or

2) gut wrenching loss to Boise?

I would think the feeling and ridicule are about the same.....

At least we had a chance against Boise State.

SC had us beat and demoralized by halftime.

Pigface1
10/4/2007, 02:25 PM
I don't know, paying a few grand in total to travel half way around the country to see us quit and get mudholed on national television by a bunch of f'n hair gel wearing hippies throwing up peace signs and chanting "victory" pretty much sucked all there is to suck.

yermom
10/4/2007, 02:55 PM
i enjoyed 2004 and 2003 more than 2002 or 2005

winning the Rose Bowl was nice, but the Holiday Bowl was just a consolation prize

going to the national championship game is really cool. i mean there are almost 120 teams that would love to be there, and only 2 can be there, for the most part

MextheBulldog
10/4/2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, give me #1. If you're in the title game, you prob won your conference.

StuIsTheMan
10/4/2007, 03:00 PM
go down fighting I say...NC Game

colleyvillesooner
10/4/2007, 03:21 PM
#1.

Not even close.

SoonerStormchaser
10/4/2007, 03:22 PM
As sad as the most recent experiences were, I still vote for #1.

SoonerBOI
10/4/2007, 03:29 PM
I like No.1, at least we could be conference champs...

Petro-Sooner
10/4/2007, 03:33 PM
This aggie I knew started talking smack about us being blown out in the orange bowl. I told him exactly that. At least we were there. According to him he would rather not even play in the game if they were going to get killed. I rolled my eyes and left thinking dont worry guy your team will never play for a title anyway so dont worry about it.

sooneron
10/4/2007, 03:36 PM

Jacie
10/4/2007, 03:45 PM
This is kinda like trying to choose between taking the Head Cheerleader to the prom and at the end of the evening not even getting to kiss her on the cheek or the girl who plays the clarinet in band and going all the way. That's a tough call.

yermom
10/4/2007, 03:55 PM
it's more like a silver medal in the Olympics vs. winning the Special Olympics

r5TPsooner
10/4/2007, 03:56 PM
Boise State Game = Prostate exam

USC Game = Colonoscopy

yermom
10/4/2007, 04:00 PM
well, it's more of a comparison of the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl that year

would you rather have been Texas and win the Rose or us and lose the national championship in the Orange?

as for the Boise State game, i just don't know. at least at the Orange Bowl i had like a half to come to terms with the loss instead of the roller coaster of emotion that was the last quarter of the Fiesta Bowl

aero
10/4/2007, 05:20 PM
Dang. Sure is a lot of obsessing with the usuc and boise games. I thought we were over that. People. Am I wrong or are we the most winning program since WWII? Don't we rank in the upper echelon of just about every category in NCAA D1 football? I can take ANY ragging anybody wants to give me about ANY loss my SOONERS have ever had. NO OTHER TEAM can say they haven't had their share, most likely more, of similar losses. We're not going to win them all, although sometimes it seems like it to us and other teams/fans. Which is why they love to gig us about said losses. They aren't used to us losing those games no more than we are. That's fine. I'll take OUr tradition of excellence, winning, championships, etc. any day of the week. I can deal with those losses just fine. We beat some texas teams pretty bad and I never thought those whorn teams were that bad but they were that day. No different that OUr loss to usuc. We had a damn good team but not that night. The Boise game? Absolutely sucked but what loss doesn't suck? News flash - Boise had a pretty good team. They would have beaten a lot of teams that night and it wouldn't have taken some extraordinary and fortunate plays to do so. That was a great game. Give the the title game any time. That's OU's legacy. CHAMPIONS. YEARLY TITLE CONTENDERS. EXCELLENCE. It's just who we are. Let the pretenders worry about succeeding. We have no fear of failure. Comes with the territory.

silverwheels
10/4/2007, 05:28 PM
Which is better?

1. Getting kicked in the balls by a kangaroo

or

2. Getting kicked in the balls by a donkey

They both suck.

KantoSooner
10/4/2007, 06:30 PM
That we're even having this discussion is disheartening.
People, to paraphrase my betters: "OU is all about Championships"

that means you play for all the marbles anytime you can get into the big game, whatever way you can.

To even question that is to contribute to a culture of defeatism and mediocrity.

swardboy
10/4/2007, 06:35 PM
This is kinda like trying to choose between taking the Head Cheerleader to the prom and at the end of the evening not even getting to kiss her on the cheek or the girl who plays the clarinet in band and going all the way. That's a tough call.
But is the clarinetist hawt! At least she blows...

arcman46
10/4/2007, 11:28 PM
well, it's more of a comparison of the Rose Bowl and the Orange Bowl that year

would you rather have been Texas and win the Rose or us and lose the national championship in the Orange?

as for the Boise State game, i just don't know. at least at the Orange Bowl i had like a half to come to terms with the loss instead of the roller coaster of emotion that was the last quarter of the Fiesta Bowl

I would NEVER want to be Texas, and if we had been in the Rose instead of the Orange, we would have lost to Texas. I only have one thing to say about that:

LET'S BEAT THE H*** OUT OF TEXAS!

yermom
10/4/2007, 11:37 PM
well, other than actually being Texas. which season would you have rather had?

tommieharris91
10/4/2007, 11:53 PM

which is better ?

or

This is different. Someone creating a thread designed to attract intelligent conversation. That's not usual for this board...

I think it all really depends on how prestigious the bowl is. I really don't mind winning the conference title every season. If you do that, you're likely to break through and get to the NC game every now and then, along with playing in a BCS bowl, which looks good to recruits and has a high payout for the university. I mean, going to lesser bowl games means lots of 8-4, 9-3 seasons. Enough of those and we become, well, aggie. So, I think we'd be better off losing the NC game every season.

olevetonahill
10/5/2007, 12:10 AM
Ya cant grab the Brass ring if ya aint in the Tent !