PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in the Texas End

tru2ou
10/4/2007, 09:19 AM
Its almost impossible to find 3 tickets in the Oklahoma end of the stadium right now and if you do, they are expensive. So, I'm considering buying three tickets in the lower end zone of the north end of the stadium. I have concerns about this since I'm taking my 5 and 3 year old to the game with me and my wife.

Has anyone ever sat in the Texas end with Oklahoma gear on? I just don;t see any other way to get into the game right now.

Tickets on the south end are about $300 per right now and on the north end, they are about $125. When you need 3 tickets, that $525 difference is huge.

Thoughts and advice?

- Tru

XingTheRubicon
10/4/2007, 09:27 AM
It's not that bad there. We sat there before.

If you act respectful, there usually isn't any problem. By 4PM you'll look like 3 red spots at North Carolina game.

humblesooner
10/4/2007, 09:28 AM
I have never set in the Tejas end, but my wife and a friend did several years ago. They were pretty uncomfortable in the first half.
Once we got up about 4 TD's in the second half, most of the whorns left.
If it were me and I was taking young children, I would concentrate on buying two pairs in the OU end instead of trying to get three together.
But then, it is not my money you are spending. :D

MextheBulldog
10/4/2007, 09:29 AM
Yep, have done it before, but really do not want to do it again. And its uncomfortable - be prepared for dirty looks and comments under the breath. Get the tickets, but before kickoff see if you can find a whorn in your same position (with tix on the good side) and swap out.

You must have good kiddos too - taking my 4 and 2 yr old boys to the game would be a nightmare!

And hope we win - leaving that side of the stadium when we lose is not fun.

tru2ou
10/4/2007, 09:43 AM
One of the things I'd like to do with my son is see every OU-Texas game with him since he was born. I took him to his first OU/UT game when he was 5 weeks old and we've gone every year since. We've never had to buy them tickets but I'm expecting they will ask me for one for the 5 year old this year.

I thought about trying to trade out with someone in the OU section but with all the UT side tickets for sale right now, I'm really not sure why anyone from Texas would have tickets down there this year.

I told my wife if things got bad, we could always go stand on the concourse in the OU end. You're basically standing for the entire game anyway so it wouldnt be that big of a deal.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to it. Or if you know where I can get three tickets in the OU end for around $500, that would be great. The 3 UT end tickets cost me $450 total.

- Tru

soonerboy_odanorth
10/4/2007, 09:48 AM
I've said it before when this topic comes up, but this is just not one I would take the kiddos to no matter what side you are sitting on. I'm sure you're aware it can get ugly even if you are minding your own P's and Q's. Not to mention just the sights and sounds of the game can upset kids. I took my then almost five year old son to the 2000 Kansas game at home and he was pretty freaked out. And while he loves it now as an almost 12-year-old, I wouldn't do it again at that age if I ever have any more kids.

Just my two cents...

(Edit: But per your post above, it can be a wildly different experience person to person... for what it's worth)

sooneron
10/4/2007, 09:51 AM
It's a little uncomfortable, but the UTerus fans will be better behaved than some other fans due to you having little ones in tow. Think of the stories that the 5 year old will have at school next week!
If we (God forbid) happen to lose, don't let the little guy shed a tear or all cameras will be on him. :(

Larry&Leisa
10/4/2007, 10:06 AM
We had our tickets stolen one year. The OU office gave us paper ones to get in with and guess what.. the orignal ticket gets the seat (unlike at Owen field)
Anyway... they did accomdate us and moved us to seats under the over hang, but right in the middle of the whorns. Most all were civil and it was fun to listen to their belly aching as the game went along. (and we had 2 lil ones as well). The worst verbal abuse was outside the stadium.

Speer
10/4/2007, 10:07 AM
You'll be fine. I've sat in Texas end a number of times without kids and I'm as loud (and obnoxious) as anyone. That said, I tone it down when on their side, and I've never had any problems other than an occasional comment/jab. Just remember, it's an emotional game so don't be shocked if the kiddos learn some new words.

XingTheRubicon
10/4/2007, 10:08 AM
The "give 'em hell, give 'em hell, OU ***** was louder than I wanted it to be when we sat there.

I hate when they chant that, but then I remember, every one of their parents were stupid too and they really just don't know any better.

bluedogok
10/4/2007, 10:12 AM
I've said it before when this topic comes up, but this is just not one I would take the kiddos to no matter what side you are sitting on. I'm sure you're aware it can get ugly even if you are minding your own P's and Q's. Not to mention just the sights and sounds of the game can upset kids. I took my then almost five year old son to the 2000 Kansas game at home and he was pretty freaked out. And while he loves it now as an almost 12-year-old, I wouldn't do it again at that age if I ever have any more kids.

Just my two cents...

(Edit: But per your post above, it can be a wildly different experience person to person... for what it's worth)
My sister has taken my 4 y.o. nephew to an OU game the past 3 years and he loves it. He gets upset when my sister goes to the game without her. It just depends on the kid if they are going to get freaked out or not.

I have sat in the Texas end a few times, granted it was about 10-15 years ago but I never had trouble with anyone but I also am not one of those demonstrative jerk fans like both sides have. They get on my nerves no matter who they are cheering for.

tru2ou
10/4/2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone. My son (5) and daughter (3) both love going to the games. We have season tickets and one of them goes to every game with my wife and I. We just make this a family trip every year. I really didnt think we were going to be able to afford it but then last weekend happened and ticket prices really dropped, especially in the UT end.

They both love the fair and when I mentioned it to them last night, they were so excited to get to ride on the big ferris wheel again this year.

I know it varies from kid to kid but these two love the games and love the atmosphere so we're going to make the trip. Maybe I'll be able to find some OU tickets outside the stadium and not have to meet up with the UT guy I'm buying the other tickets from.

- Tru

bluedogok
10/4/2007, 10:35 AM
Have fun, most fans will take into account if you have lttle ones with you as to how much crap they will give you...but we all know there are a few who act like asshats no matter who they are around.

DalHorn
10/4/2007, 10:37 AM
If you wait, there always seems to be more OU-side tickets available right before the game. I think it's due to OU fans having to travel further as a whole and something comes up (I know there are plenty alumni in DFW, just not as many as UT obviously).

I've bought from a scalper at the fair 3 times over the years. All 3 times we were in the OU section.

tru2ou
10/4/2007, 10:41 AM
If you wait, there always seems to be more OU-side tickets available right before the game. I think it's due to OU fans having to travel further as a whole and something comes up (I know there are plenty alumni in DFW, just not as many as UT obviously).

I've bought from a scalper at the fair 3 times over the years. All 3 times we were in the OU section.

Dal,

I've never tried to buy tickets outside the stadium and here's my only problem. The kids are going to want to go inside right when we get to the fair. I plan on arriving arounf 11:00. I doubt I'll be able to get a good price for tickets that far in advance of kickoff. If you go inside, is it harder to find tickets or easier? I'm willing to wait but I just want to make sure its the right way to do it.

Any advice is appreciated.

- Mark

humblesooner
10/4/2007, 10:49 AM
Dal,

I've never tried to buy tickets outside the stadium and here's my only problem. The kids are going to want to go inside right when we get to the fair. I plan on arriving arounf 11:00. I doubt I'll be able to get a good price for tickets that far in advance of kickoff. If you go inside, is it harder to find tickets or easier? I'm willing to wait but I just want to make sure its the right way to do it.

- Mark

I used to send the family inside and I would stay outside and buy tickets.
Just a suggestion, if the spouse is up to it.

TexasLidig8r
10/4/2007, 11:28 AM
Go to hornfans and orangebloods.

Go to the swap meet section on each site.

Advertise that you have tickets on the Texas side and ask if anyone wants to trade for some on OU side. It most likely won't work but is worth a shot.

Also... place a post for the same scenario on craigslist for the same thing. Maybe you will get a bite there.

If you are in the end zone you are more likely to get razzed by the UT kids... no matter what school you go to, at that age, you're gonna be stupid. If you're among alums, especially with your kids, it won't be that bad.

DalHorn
10/4/2007, 11:41 AM

- Mark

I agree with the idea of sending the wife and kiddos in first but make sure the wife has funds, as I personally feel the deals are better INSIDE the fair. Less professional scalpers and more fans who had someone cancel on them, etc..

sooneron
10/4/2007, 11:48 AM
I agree with the idea of sending the wife and kiddos in first but make sure the wife has funds, as I personally feel the deals are better INSIDE the fair. Less professional scalpers and more fans who had someone cancel on them, etc..
Yep.

TopDaugIn2000
10/4/2007, 11:54 AM
I'll NEVER understand people that take their kids to the game. Never.

Taxman71
10/4/2007, 01:16 PM
In 2005, I swapped 2 seats in the Texas endzone for 2 seats in the OU endzone, even steven, at tickets unlimited in Norman. You might try doing that or at another broker. Of course, they will want you to upgrade your seats to the 10 yard line for $100 per ticket.

tru2ou
10/4/2007, 01:45 PM

I enjoy spending time with my family and we all enjoy the time we have at the game. The kids have fun and enjoy the atmosphere. They cheer for the Sooners and actually chant "Reg-gie" whenever they see him back fro punts. If they didnt enjoy it, I wouldnt take them. Our season tickets are four rows from the field and very close to the action, they love it. In fact, the cheerleaders have taken them down on the field numerous times.

They don't cause any problems for my wife and I and we enjoy the time we spend together as a family.

I can't think of a better way to spend three hours together and enjoy an experience as a family.

- tru

arlington
10/5/2007, 11:23 AM
Can a 5 and 3 year old really understand the nature of hatred between 2 schools? I think that if you load em up with "dippin dots" and point out BEVO and cheerleaders and the side stuff, they will have a great time just soaking up the aura. I would save the money and use the savings for the fair and the game. And where can you get tix for $125?If so, save me a seat cuz I will be there also. I can even get my 16 year old daughter to babysit your kids and take them souveneir shopping all game long so we wont have to worry about the UT fans(Yea!)

handcrafted
10/5/2007, 11:42 AM

That's because you don't have kids. :)

I'd take my little guy with me now, 'cept he's not too keen on loud noise. He wants to, though. He doesn't understand the volume level of an OU game. When he's a bit older we'll get him to a home game or two so he can get acclimated before experiencing the Cotton Bowl.

arlington
10/5/2007, 11:55 AM
Theres a poster on the rivals Longhorn site wanting an OU fan to swap with. Sign up for 1 free week if they will let you and go to there message boards.Or give me your email and i will go on there and pass it to that person.

Petro-Sooner
10/5/2007, 12:23 PM
I wish ya the best of luck guy but I don't plan on taking my kids to OU-texas until they get older. But thats just me.

Ya took a five week old baby to a football game?? Wow. :eek:

goingoneight
10/5/2007, 12:25 PM
:les: WEAR WHITE!!!

TopDaugIn2000
10/5/2007, 01:04 PM
That's because you don't like kids. :)

fixed

Sooner Eclipse
10/5/2007, 04:57 PM
I've had seats between the 40-45 row 20 on the texas side for 03, 06 and under the upper deck on the 45 for 04. 03 was great - younger croud, lots of smack till the middle of the 2nd. Could stretch out and relax by the middle of the 3rd. I had a section to myself by the 4th.

04 - Older crowd, lots of families, kids. Most of the unwashed in that area stayed until the end of the game for that one.

06 - back in the 03 seats for this one. Crowd was pretty reserved and was cordial even after the game - no real smack. However they were the favorites for that game but weren't real certain they would win and seemed relieved that they did. If you would happen to be sitting there this year and we were upset, I can imagine it could get ugly quick just from the age and maturity level of the whorens in the general area.