PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying experiences in the Cotton Bowl....

Soonerus
10/3/2007, 11:57 PM
...the missed interception call in the rain followed closely by Hybl's inept performance against Arkansas in the bowl game....most boring game I have ever attended...

yermom
10/4/2007, 12:01 AM
i'll take a boring W ANY DAY

more important was keeping Matt Jones out of the end zone, he went nuts after that game

the fumbles last year were much more annoying than that game

Soonerus
10/4/2007, 12:04 AM
That Cotton Bowl game killed me....killed..

yermom
10/4/2007, 12:11 AM
well, it was really cold...

Frozen Sooner
10/4/2007, 12:12 AM
...the missed interception call in the rain followed closely by Hybl's inept performance against Arkansas in the bowl game....most boring game I have ever attended...

You mean that "inept" performance where he completed 75% of his passes, set a Cotton Bowl record for completions, rushed for the winning score, and WON THE GAME?

critical_phil
10/4/2007, 12:14 AM
rusty gets his jollies by bedowngrading hybl.

then again, he does a lot of things i don't get.

Frozen Sooner
10/4/2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I know he does. I'm not really sure why he's got such a hard-on for the guy.

I mean, all he did was win a Big 12 title, a BCS Bowl Game (where he was named MVP), and win a Cotton Bowl. Oh, yeah, and play hurt with a chip out of his throwing shoulder.

Big Red Ron
10/4/2007, 12:32 AM
For me it was the "backwards pass" that AD gave up un last year. Then there was that whole Stansberry thingy. :mad:

goingoneight
10/4/2007, 12:32 AM
I actually liked N8. 15 years separated from a National Championship, we get one good quarterback in Heupel and all of a sudden a winner (Hybl) isn't enough?

I know why people love to hate Nate. It's pretty obvious. OU fans cannot stand losing to OSU, and Nate is 0-2 versus :stunned:. And in both of those games he was uncharactersitically off his game. It's one thing to drop a loss to Texas (big game, nation's best rivalry, powerful program), it's another to lose to someone who is everything you hate in sports. Obsessive, rude and their team only makes you look bad by following up their "victory" with more embarassing OSU-type of losses. You have respected rivals (teams that it means something to beat), then you have those teams who you can call "rivals" if you want... but you'd much rather put them in their place. Nate Hybl really was not totally to blame for the 2001 and 2002 ****** games, but he was the QB... and most sports fans attack the QB and coaches long before they analyze the actual outcome.
I look at it like the Dallas Cowboys fans last year. Tony Romo is the only reason that team made the playoffs. After teams consistently torched Dallas's "defense," TRRW included... a Romo fumble cost them the W over Seattle. People started saying Romo sucked and they needed to trade him to try and get Brady Quinn and all other kinds of nonsense. If you're a fan, you shouldn't attack a guy for mistakes... he's not a machine, he's human. If a guy like Nate and even like Romo are winning, why hate on them? Because he's not Heupel/Aikman? Come on.

I griped about Nate, myself... but I never hated the guy. Sometimes, like Reggie Smith... it's like as good as he is... he did some really dumb things (throwing into coverage all day long versus Texas). However, I'll take a Nate Hybl or Paul Thompson anyday over a Rhett Bomar or Brent Rawls.

KC//CRIMSON
10/4/2007, 12:36 AM
Rus has a man crush on Nate. He has a #8 sticker on his car. People think he's a Dale Jr. fan, but we all know better.

Crucifax Autumn
10/4/2007, 12:39 AM
Well, in Rus's defense, losing to OSU sucks bad.

But I honestly think it wouldn't have been a problem if Hybl hadn't been more or less crippled at that point in both seasons. I liked the guy myself, but still feel hurt by the things we didn't achieve.

And I bet we all have "that guy" we don't like or respect despite amazing performances at OU. And no, I'm not gonna say which ones I have in that category...I saw the Boz arguments and I don't wanna get into one of those.

Frozen Sooner
10/4/2007, 12:43 AM
Well, in Rus's defense, losing to OSU sucks bad.

0-2 vs. OSU certainly isn't great.

But 1-0 vs. Texas made me feel a lot better about it.

KantoSooner
10/4/2007, 12:44 AM
You be careful talking about Leroy Selman that way! Boy, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes 'Fax, downgradin' Leroy. No way. No how.

sooneron
10/4/2007, 08:15 AM
Hybl should have done a better job covering for Bassey biting on every play fake in the two '02 losses.

goodonya
10/4/2007, 08:19 AM
1976 & 1984. Nothing in my OU fan experience can approach those two.

sooneronloan
10/4/2007, 08:29 AM
I have only attended 3 games my most annoying experience was the one we lost.

colleyvillesooner
10/4/2007, 09:04 AM
This would be like hating Jason White cause he played like CRAP during two National Title games.

Nate won a Big 12 Championship, both his Bowl games and was the MVP of one.

Jason won the Heisman and led us to two undefeated season with one Big 12 championship to show for it.

Yet, Nate gets all the bashing.

Who gives a crap that we lost to OSU. I'd take both those losses and #'8 and 9 right now in a heartbeat. Nate did the best with what he had.

mikeelikee
10/4/2007, 09:08 AM
1984, most definitely tops my list. The wife and I sat in the rain all day, watching the #1 and #2 ranked teams slug it out. Then, we finally got the lead, took a safety after a great goal-line stand, and led 15-12 with just a couple of minutes left in the game. After our free kick to Texass, they started their drive and on one of their first plays, they throw a dump-off pass to their fullback. We cold-**** him, and the ball pops out a we recover. Incredibly, the zebras determine the play was dead before the fumble. Replays confirm no way that was the case.

Then, we all remember Stanberry's interception that was called out-of-bounds. Two royal screwings on that final drive, each of which denied us the victory that day.

OklaPony
10/4/2007, 09:58 AM
Without a doubt it was 1984.

Stoop Dawg
10/4/2007, 12:39 PM

Wow, you haven't been to many games in the Cotton Bowl.

And listing a win among your "most annoying experiences" tells a lot about your lack of objectivity concerning a certain OU player. Look man, we're all sorry he ****ed your sister and kicked your dog. But really, it's time to let it go.

Let.

It.

Go.

soonerinabilene
10/4/2007, 12:50 PM
The only one ive made it too was '05. Losing like that stunk, but at least I can say Ive been. The most annoying part was walking back. All these whorn fans acting like they hadnt won in 5 years. Oh wait...maybe thats why it was so bad. All I know is I heard the dumbest thing ever after that game. We were walking to our car, and a bunch of texass fans were behind us talking crap, and one actually said that maybe Adrian Peterson would make a team in Canada if he was lucky. When you hear something that retarded you cant help but laugh.

FtwTxSooner
10/4/2007, 01:07 PM
Every time I've been, the winner has played in the national championship game.

Partial Qualifier
10/4/2007, 02:01 PM
The only one ive made it too was '05. Losing like that stunk, but at least I can say Ive been. The most annoying part was walking back. All these whorn fans acting like they hadnt won in 5 years. Oh wait...maybe thats why it was so bad. All I know is I heard the dumbest thing ever after that game. We were walking to our car, and a bunch of texass fans were behind us talking crap, and one actually said that maybe Adrian Peterson would make a team in Canada if he was lucky. When you hear something that retarded you cant help but laugh.

I'm glad I didn't go that year! I'm sure they were all over the smack talk.. that must've been a tough streak for the whorns to handle. Last year was just bleh. Horn fans were basically cordial to us after the game.

it was 1998.. we were very successful in making a poor Texas team look like world-beaters.. seemed like every single play we had go over 5 yards was called back due to penalty.. to start the 3rd quarter, we miraculously drove down to the Texas 3 yard line, 1st and 10 on the Texas 3... then promptly fumbled the ball away.. wound up losing 34-3 and it was way worse than that. I'm sitting there dumbfounded, wondering how in the hell does Brandon Daniels go from All-World H.S. option QB to .....this? Mind-Boggling. That game flat-out SUCKED (as did many games from that era)

I've never really had any bad run-ins with Texas fans. But that '98 game was more annoying than any fan could be

r5TPsooner
10/4/2007, 02:06 PM
Walking out of the Cotton Bowl onto the midway after any OU loss.

soonersweetie
10/5/2007, 02:53 PM
Absolutely 1984. That one just kills me. Every time I see that replay, it just makes me sick

handcrafted
10/5/2007, 02:59 PM
my most annoying experience there was every time I had to take a leak.

GrapevineSooner
10/5/2007, 03:09 PM
my most annoying experience there was every time I had to take a leak.

Maybe Corby can show you where his secret bathroom is. ;)

colleyvillesooner
10/5/2007, 03:34 PM
heh