PDA

View Full Version : OH NO!!! THEY ARE WATCHING TAPE TOGETHER!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
10/3/2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/100307dnspoutdefense.2cfc64a.html

UT defense plays follow the leader

12:19 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 3, 2007

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The words were part advice, part criticism.

Vince Young earned the right to speak his mind by doing what no Texas quarterback had done since James Street, and performing like no quarterback ever had in a national title game. Last weekend, he suggested the current Longhorns need a dose of leadership.

"This team right here has all the talent in the world," Young said Saturday. "They just need to pull together."

But where will the leadership come from?

The defense, with veterans who remember what Young and others brought to the table in 2005, showed signs it might be ready.

History and personality indicate that quarterback Colt McCoy is a quiet leader. Plus, he's nursing the symptoms of a mild concussion and dealing with life behind unstable pass protection.

The offensive line has its own documented problems.

The special teams, long a given under Mark Brown, yielded a kickoff return and a punt return for touchdowns against Kansas State.

That leaves the defense.

"It's definitely a process," said Frank Okam, the senior defensive tackle from Lake Highlands. "You're not granted or given leadership. It's something that's earned."

First-year defensive coordinator Duane Akina tried to accelerate the process this week.

Instead of having the defense watch game film in segmented groups (tackles, ends, linebackers), the players are setting aside time to watch as one unit.

While Akina said it helps him make points without repeating himself, the communal approach has other benefits.

"As you're watching tape collectively, it does just kind of unite," Akina said, emphasizing the last word. "This is probably a week, as a Texas football team, we need to talk about uniting and circling and being together."

Any chance of beating Oklahoma probably starts with the defense.

Through four games, the Sooners were an offensive force, averaging 61.5 points a game.

Then came Colorado. The Buffaloes managed to hold them to seven second-half points for a 27-24 upset win.

Texas has only shown flashes of coming together as a defense, despite ranking 22nd nationally.

The Longhorns were outgained by Arkansas State and allowed nearly 200 yards rushing to Central Florida.

Earlier this week, senior defensive tackle Derek Lokey of Denton Ryan said all the right things about putting Kansas State in perspective.

"We lost a game, and that's bad and we're disappointed about that," Lokey said. "But you can't let one loss keep building up and building up like it's the worst thing that ever happened. You can't make it seem like the team's going down the drain because we lost one game."

Lokey said the team was headed in the right direction. But after the loss and embarrassing off-field issues, what makes him think that?

"I think after a loss, your team can go one of two ways: together or apart," Lokey said. "I think this team is pulling together."

fadada1
10/3/2007, 01:44 PM
WE

ARE

SCREWED!

SCREWED.

Ash
10/3/2007, 01:47 PM
Just the fact that they decided to watch game film pretty much doomed us, but this whole watching it in one room thing is....is....oh man...I'm askeered.

SoonerStormchaser
10/3/2007, 01:49 PM
**** it! If they're doing that, then I'm just throwing in the towel on this season. See you all next year. Gawdamn horns are gonna be invincible now!

sooner518
10/3/2007, 02:05 PM
Imagine if they are also lifting weights too!!!!!!! :mack:

We dont have a snowball's chance in hell!!!

Widescreen
10/3/2007, 02:11 PM
So they're watching film in the same cell. Big deal. I wonder how many strings Mack had to pull with the warden to pull that off.

OUrules
10/3/2007, 02:12 PM
And vomit boy has gotten stronger since last season....I'm cancelling my trip to Dallas right now....oh snap...

Ash
10/3/2007, 02:24 PM
So they're watching film in the same cell. Big deal. I wonder how many strings Mack had to pull with the warden to pull that off.

It wasn't a string he was pulling, how do you think he got the herp?

Vic n Tulsa
10/3/2007, 02:27 PM
Just the fact that they decided to watch game film pretty much doomed us, but this whole watching it in one room thing is....is....oh man...I'm askeered.

Be afraid of the wounded Horn, be very afraid. Just saying........:texan:

Ash
10/3/2007, 02:31 PM
Be afraid of the wounded Horn, be very afraid. Just saying........:texan:

I'm petrified.

No really.

I.

am.

askeered.

How do you like my Carlson impression, Prick from Tulsa?

Vic n Tulsa
10/3/2007, 03:20 PM
I'm petrified.

No really.

I.

am.

askeered.

How do you like my Carlson impression, Prick from Tulsa?

You do sound really askeered as you should be....I'll give you the noose, since I'm sure you'll be in "shock" and:texan: ready to kill yourself again.

devOUt
10/3/2007, 03:43 PM
The point spread just went down.

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2007, 04:01 PM
Guys calm down. This is the Texas defense we're talking about.

There's no way they can fit a fair amount of film study in AND be able to lift weights, too.

NormanPride
10/3/2007, 04:33 PM
What if they lift while watching film?

stoopified
10/3/2007, 04:33 PM
As my 3 yearold says: I 'fraid,very,very 'fraid.

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2007, 08:58 PM
the communal approach has other benefits.

It isn't just that they are watching tape together. This is a communal approach. Right on, man! Horn power!

OKC-SLC
10/3/2007, 09:16 PM
What if they lift while watching film?
sh!t.

sh.

it.

freshchris05
10/3/2007, 09:18 PM

There's no way they can fit a fair amount of film study in AND be able to lift weights, too.

AND meet with their parole officers, take paternity tests and i dunno if you know it but there are still bitches out there and bitches need to get kicked... they arent just kicking themselves

jccouger
10/3/2007, 09:39 PM

Sco
10/4/2007, 12:44 AM
I was more shocked by VY's quote a about this in a different article.

"The reason we were able to beat Oklahoma [in 2005], win the Big 12 and beat USC was we were a team," Young told the Dallas Morning News. "There were no 'me' guys off to themselves. This team has all the talent in the world. They just need to pull together."

Uh..... what? What team was there, again? Last time I checked, Vince pulled that team kicking and screaming to the Rose....

Crucifax Autumn
10/4/2007, 12:49 AM
Wow...We are supposed to be afeared because they cuddle up in bed to watch TIVO of Sooner games before they fall asleep spooning as they dream of being real football players?

goingoneight
10/4/2007, 12:56 AM

Not with all that time in the classroom and all. I mean, it is a regular Harvard and all. I heard they all were required to do community service pretty much weekly, too. That may be unrelated, though. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/4/2007, 10:21 AM
Imagine if they are also lifting weights too!!!!!!! :mack:

We dont have a snowball's chance in hell!!!

Or tackling in practice!!!! :eek:

Pigface1
10/4/2007, 11:50 AM
I was on the fence, but after this thread I just put a second mortgage on my house and took Texas on the line. If they're watching actual game film and not reenactments, then we may as well bring the soap to drop for them. It's going to be a long day.

Game film. ****. :(

soonerinabilene
10/4/2007, 12:43 PM
I think we are ok. The Austin City Jail only has bowflex machines, so that doesnt count as real lifting. If they are at county though, we are f*cked. They have total gyms.

Gawd I hope it was a city cop. Please.

MextheBulldog
10/4/2007, 12:46 PM
Ha! If only Colt was six inches taller, faster and could run the zone read.... but instead he's got more concussions than TD passes this year...