PDA

View Full Version : Saban is still a tool

sooneron
10/3/2007, 10:05 AM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sportsscope/2007/10/sabans-take-on-.html

Places USF's rise on the "lower" academic standards.

:rolleyes:

I didn't realize that bammer was the harvard of the SE.

85sooners
10/3/2007, 10:07 AM
:rolleyes:

OUrules
10/3/2007, 10:13 AM
There has always been a bunch of shady characters in the history of that short program. Saban is just stating the obvious....

sooneron
10/3/2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Lee Roy Selmon is shady.

achiro
10/3/2007, 10:53 AM
So do you disagree with what he said about different schools having different academic admission policies? I guess I ask that because I am confused as to what part of his statement you are taking issue with?

douxpaysan
10/3/2007, 11:06 AM
It is obvious that he is having trouble sharing the spotlight. South Florida is the new rising power in the south and the old hacks don't like it. The same tired academic defense you see on any message board when one is grasping at straws. The old salts always line-up against the youngbloods...that's just the way it is and always will be. Go Bulls!

sooneron
10/3/2007, 11:12 AM
achiro- Not that I give a **** about what you post in my thread...

Just the Facts
Posted By John Antonik: October 2, 2007 (8:55 pm)

Sometimes things just fall into your lap, like this one from Birmingham News columnist Ray Melick whose contribution to the intelligence of his readership falls just short of Bull Connor.

Melick’s explanation for the rapid rise of schools like South Florida, Rutgers and, yes, West Virginia, is because these schools can accept academic non-qualifiers. Melick argues that college football recruiting is no longer an apples-for-apples proposition. Some schools with lower admission standards can accept outstanding prospects that other institutions can’t.

He also writes that conferences such as the SEC have “pushed for legislation that would increase the NCAA’s minimum standards.”

Melick’s column is based on statements made by Alabama coach Nick Saban. According to Saban, the distribution of players is not equitable throughout the country.

“I think there are six guys starting on South Florida’s defense (that) probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State but Florida and Florida State couldn’t take them,” Saban said, implying that schools like South Florida actively seek out non-qualifiers as a means of getting better quickly.

USF coach Jim Leavitt rightfully took exception to Saban’s fuzzy logic and Melick’s lack of fact checking Tuesday afternoon. Leavitt said only two of his players were accepted as non-qualifiers. One starts and the other doesn’t.

Furthermore, Leavitt pointed out quite accurately that the Big East instituted a rule two years ago denying the acceptance of partial and/or academic non-qualifiers in any sport.

Incidentally, the SEC presently does take partial and non-qualifiers. In fact, according to SEC bylaws a school can admit up to four non-qualifiers a year including two in football. The other sports are only permitted one non-qualifier per year.

What Birmingham News subscribers read on Tuesday morning was simply wrong.

Sadly, one more telephone call by Ray Melick could have gotten it right.

Saban could have just given props to what Leavitt has accomplished by building something from nothing, not brining up an outdated admissions process.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2007, 11:14 AM
So do you disagree with what he said about different schools having different academic admission policies? I guess I ask that because I am confused as to what part of his statement you are taking issue with?

Of course different schools have different standards of enrollment. Some programs and universities just barely meet the NCAA requirement for athletes to enter, and some are more difficult to get into.

But by his logic, Harvard has a right to be upset with Alabama and call them out for their lack of admission policies.

I'm rooting for Saban right now since he's at Alabama, but he needs to shut up on this one.

snp
10/3/2007, 11:14 AM
I think there are six guys starting on South Florida's defense who probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State but Florida and Florida State couldn't take them.

:confused:

achiro
10/3/2007, 11:20 AM
achiro- Not that I give a **** about what you post in my thread...

This cracks me up!
Why?
1. you take anything on this board so seriously
2. you got so upset by me asking a question
and
3. You take "ownership" of THIS thread.

mostly number 3. heh

illinisooner
10/3/2007, 11:23 AM
An SEC school questioning another school's academic standards? Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

sooneron
10/3/2007, 11:33 AM
This cracks me up!
Why?
1. you take anything on this board so seriously
2. you got so upset by me asking a question
and
3. You take "ownership" of THIS thread.

mostly number 3. heh
Not anything, I believe you could ask Newbomb, bri, sas or many others as to what I take seriously.

Your question didn't upset me.

Yeah, I posted the thread, it has my name on it. Strange.

mojohornfan
10/3/2007, 12:32 PM
Of course different schools have different standards of enrollment. Some programs and universities just barely meet the NCAA requirement for athletes to enter, and some are more difficult to get into.

But by his logic, Harvard has a right to be upset with Alabama and call them out for their lack of admission policies.

I'm rooting for Saban right now since he's at Alabama, but he needs to shut up on this one.

This is a good point.

douxpaysan
10/3/2007, 01:25 PM
This is a good point.
Even whorns get it!!:D :D BTHOT