PDA

View Full Version : Only in California . WTF ?

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 07:43 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/ts_nm/target_blind_dc
While Im all for helping folks this is Nuts .:confused:

Boomer.....
10/3/2007, 08:01 AM
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9951/pateg2.gif

sooner_born_1960
10/3/2007, 08:07 AM
I'm gonna sue Phil on behalf of the blind. They can't even read this post.

OUDoc
10/3/2007, 08:16 AM
I think this should open the doors to sue car manufacturers. They don't even try to make cars drivable by blind people.

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 08:34 AM
But ain't all this "accessible " by the blind ? even if they cant see where they are going they can still get in a car and drive till it crashes .
Plus they are free to clik on and dayum web page they want . Its Thier fault they cant read it . :pop:

OUDoc
10/3/2007, 08:48 AM
Actually, I think you can get programs that read web pages to you, so I don't know what the lawsuit is about.

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 08:52 AM
Actually, I think you can get programs that read web pages to you, so I don't know what the lawsuit is about.
I dont either , But I bet hillary is behind it .

royalfan5
10/3/2007, 09:11 AM
I think all lawyers that fill class-actions like this should have to participate in a Shirley Jackson-style lottery.

mdklatt
10/3/2007, 09:15 AM

If the web site is implemented poorly it will render those readers worthless. This is a federal law, not just a California thing. A quick look at the Target web site shows that they appear to be using tables for layout and lots of Javascript that may render the page unusable if you have Javascript turned off.

Widescreen
10/3/2007, 10:10 AM
I wonder why Target in particular was "Targeted"? This seems 'tarded to me.

mdklatt
10/3/2007, 10:12 AM
I wonder why Target in particular was "Targeted"? This seems 'tarded to me.

Because they use tables for layout on the web site, which you're not supposed to do?

Widescreen
10/3/2007, 10:12 AM
Do other retailers do the same thing?

Frozen Sooner
10/3/2007, 10:15 AM
Interesting.

M
10/3/2007, 10:20 AM
The organization I work for is soon going to start using some kind of voice-recognition software to transcribe our podcasts. Otherwise the deaf people will be after us.

Mongo
10/3/2007, 10:24 AM
Why do they even have to offer it? It is their company, and if they want to limit prospected consumers, isnt that their loss.

And if a blind person saw half the crap they sell there, they'd probably go shop at the wal marts instead:D

OUDoc
10/3/2007, 10:27 AM
Stop shopping at Target. That's good advice for anyone.

IB4OU2
10/3/2007, 10:28 AM
Stop shopping at Target. That's good advice for anyone.

but they have a great deal on sunglasses...

Frozen Sooner
10/3/2007, 10:30 AM
Why do they even have to offer it? It is their company, and if they want to limit prospected consumers, isnt that their loss.

And if a blind person saw half the crap they sell there, they'd probably go shop at the wal marts instead:D

For the same reason that they have to have wheelchair ramps. Under federal law, businesses must provide accommodations to the disabled.

mdklatt
10/3/2007, 10:30 AM
Do other retailers do the same thing?

http://webxact3.watchfire.com/

walmart.com has fewer accessiblity error than target.com

This is not a big deal for Target to fix, if that's what the problem is.

mdklatt
10/3/2007, 10:33 AM

Isn't it reasonable to expect a company to make an accessible web site when it's just as easy as making an inaccessible web site? Crappy web sites aren't just a problem for blind people. Have you ever been to a web site that expects your browser window to be set to a certain size, or only works with Internet Explorer, or doesn't work at all because you have Javascript turned off for security reasons?

JohnnyMack
10/3/2007, 10:36 AM
Holy ****, I was literally about to post this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21112810/

when I saw Olevet's thread.

This one is about blind people being against hybrid cars because they don't make enough noise.

Mongo
10/3/2007, 10:41 AM
Isn't it reasonable to expect a company to make an accessible web site when it's just as easy as making an inaccessible web site? Crappy web sites aren't just a problem for blind people. Have you ever been to a web site that expects your browser window to be set to a certain size, or only works with Internet Explorer, or doesn't work at all because you have Javascript turned off for security reasons?

I understand about the federal law, which is kinda dumb to begin with, but that is another debate.

if a company want to have a ****ty web page to sell their goods, that is their business. In fact, they dont even have to have one. It is extra benefit to those that have a computer. When will the poor people that want to use their web page sue for not having a computer and an internet connection?

and dont use big words like javascript, I have no idea what that computer jargon means:D

JohnnyMack
10/3/2007, 10:46 AM
and dont use big words like javascript, I have no idea what that computer jargon means:D

Remember that time we colonized that tiny island just west of Java? We were all like Tom Hanks in Castaway only much tougher. That ruled. Man it was hard building all those huts, but it was totally worth it when all the native chicks were all "I can't wait to do those manly men". That's the only javascript I know about.

Mongo
10/3/2007, 10:57 AM
Remember that time we colonized that tiny island just west of Java? We were all like Tom Hanks in Castaway only much tougher. That ruled. Man it was hard building all those huts, but it was totally worth it when all the native chicks were all "I can't wait to do those manly men". That's the only javascript I know about.

way to kill the thread with tails of our manliness

Did you ever get rid of that bad case of Java clap those native womens gave you?

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 12:25 PM

And if same said Blind person saw the typical wallyworld shopper theyd Go blind .

crawfish
10/3/2007, 12:40 PM
We lost one urinal and one toilet from our men's bathroom because a new company on the floor required a huge, apartment-sized handicapped urinal in every office location. While at the same time adding a few dozen men to the floor. And NO wheelchair-bound persons. :mad:

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 12:55 PM
We lost one urinal and one toilet from our men's bathroom because a new company on the floor required a huge, apartment-sized handicapped urinal in every office location. While at the same time adding a few dozen men to the floor. And NO wheelchair-bound persons. :mad:
But ya still had the sinks didnt ya ?
that makes up for the lost urinal .

yermom
10/3/2007, 07:44 PM

if the webpage isn't coded right, then these don't work. that is the problem. there are standards for accessibility, but a lot of people don't follow them. some states have laws about sites following the guidelines

here is a link with info about it:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/

olevetonahill
10/3/2007, 08:36 PM
if the webpage isn't coded right, then these don't work. that is the problem. there are standards for accessibility, but a lot of people don't follow them. some states have laws about sites following the guidelines

Why in hell dont the folks talk to customer service ? instead of A class action suit ?
The only ones that will win on this type shat is the Russels of the world . :mad:

JohnnyMack
10/3/2007, 08:50 PM

I think that's stupid.

We need laws for website accessibilty?

I mean the law part, not accessiblity in general. If you wanna make your site accessible that's fine, but we don't need a law requiring it.

JohnnyMack
10/3/2007, 08:51 PM
way to kill the thread with tails of our manliness

Did you ever get rid of that bad case of Java clap those native womens gave you?

My left marble is still kinda swollen and it occassionally burns when I pee, but I think the last round of antibiotics took care of the infection.

GottaHavePride
10/3/2007, 09:00 PM
Holy ****, I was literally about to post this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21112810/

when I saw Olevet's thread.

This one is about blind people being against hybrid cars because they don't make enough noise.

Hybrid cars by Bubb Rubb.

Problem solved.

JohnnyMack
10/3/2007, 09:03 PM
Hybrid cars by Bubb Rubb.

Problem solved.

That's only in tha mornin'......

yermom
10/3/2007, 10:42 PM
I think that's stupid.

We need laws for website accessibilty?

I mean the law part, not accessiblity in general. If you wanna make your site accessible that's fine, but we don't need a law requiring it.

well, depending on the site. if it's for a place like OU or other state agencies it makes sense.

doing it for businesses is a little strange though

soonerboomer93
10/3/2007, 10:57 PM
I'm gonna sue Phil on behalf of the blind. They can't even read this post.

they'd sue, but they'd rather not see your posts...

Frozen Sooner
10/3/2007, 11:59 PM
That's only in tha mornin'......

You should be makin' breakfasts!

goingoneight
10/4/2007, 02:54 AM
I personally would have went after Wal-Mart. More $$$ to be made. I would even buy my blind man shades from ole Sammy's import department store.

goingoneight
10/4/2007, 02:55 AM
On a side note... I'm going to go add braille to my facebook account just in case.

Dio
10/4/2007, 08:10 AM
It's obvious what the problem is:

George Bush hates blind people.

bluedogok
10/4/2007, 11:58 AM
Why in hell dont the folks talk to customer service ? instead of A class action suit ?
The only ones that will win on this type shat is the Russels of the world . :mad:
The ADA was written/passed under the jurisdiction of the Dept. of Justice and the mechanism for change is a lawsuit for violation of civil rights. It is not set up like an ordinance or where you have to be in compliance or get a fine. Most of the time the filing of a lawsuit is used to inform the party of a violation, there is very rarely a monetary judgment involved, usually the problem is fixed and case dismissed. At the time was what they felt could get it enacted, my wife knows more about that as she is an advocate for people with disabilities. She does more along the lines of residential modifications to make homes accessible. She has also worked with assistance technology for the disabled whether it is physical blind or deaf. Some of that technology translates a website into braille to be read by a blind person.

As far as a remodel, all restrooms have to be brought up to code in a major remodel. This applies to accessibility and fixture count standards and travel distance. We have had to build additional restrooms if the original one did not provide enough fixtures for the newer codes (especially UPC), usually a HC stall goes in there unless the travel distance to the original restroom exceeds the code. In the building world I think the ADA should just be part of the code and not a separate thing entirely.