PDA

View Full Version : Stoops said something pretty funny in his press conference today

Widescreen
10/2/2007, 11:42 PM
The reporters were hounding him about moving MK around, putting him in the slot, sending him in motion, etc. I mean they were kind of badgering him about different ways to get him open. Stoops said that it's not like the defense won't know where he is regardless of where they put him.

Later, someone asked about Texas trying to get the ball to Sweed and Stoops said basically that he sure hoped they didn't line Sweed up in the slot or put him in motion or OU's defense would lose track of him. :D

CatfishSooner
10/2/2007, 11:46 PM
haha

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2007, 12:12 AM
LOL

SoonerKnight
10/3/2007, 12:24 AM
Thats funny! What was it he said that someone was complaining about?

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2007, 01:11 AM
I'm surprised they didn't suggest having him switch jerseys with another player. PErsonally I think it's far more important that Inglesias does a better job of getting his hands on the ball than it is that Malcolm gets open. Simple fact is that if Inglesias catches all the balls thrown his way, the tight ends make a lot of catches, and we get some receptions out of running backs while establishing a strong run game Malcolm will be open from time to time.

sooneron
10/3/2007, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised they didn't suggest having him switch jerseys with another player. PErsonally I think it's far more important that Inglesias does a better job of getting his hands on the ball than it is that Malcolm gets open. Simple fact is that if Inglesias catches all the balls thrown his way, the tight ends make a lot of catches, and we get some receptions out of running backs while establishing a strong run game Malcolm will be open from time to time.
What he said. UTerus will basically be daring Juaquin to beat them.

Fraggle145
10/3/2007, 09:24 AM
I did find that amusing.

freshchris05
10/3/2007, 09:38 AM
truthfully, (maybe because im a homer) if im an nfl scout ive seen enough when it comes to malcolm kelly, that even if he doesnt have great stats this guy is still a hot commodity... malcolm hasnt caught a touchdown pass in the last two but this guy frees up so much space in the secondary when he pulls those double coverages...

85sooners
10/3/2007, 10:04 AM
lol

oupride
10/3/2007, 10:10 AM
bingo

Texas Golfer
10/3/2007, 10:12 AM
truthfully, (maybe because im a homer) if im an nfl scout ive seen enough when it comes to malcolm kelly, that even if he doesnt have great stats this guy is still a hot commodity... malcolm hasnt caught a touchdown pass in the last two but this guy frees up so much space in the secondary when he pulls those double coverages...

I disagree. We have to get the ball into Malcolm's hands. In our last two losses, MK didn't have a catch.

stoopified
10/3/2007, 10:43 AM
I disagree. We have to get the ball into Malcolm's hands. In our last two losses, MK didn't have a catch.
You are correct BUT at the same time we don't want to get so concerned about getting the ball to MK that we fail to take what the D gives us.

Howzit
10/3/2007, 11:00 AM
We should have MK wear Groucho glasses and a mustache. They'll never recognize him.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2007, 11:09 AM

Even Bob Stoops disagrees with you.

He said also on Tuesday that OU's never been about getting the ball to just one player (which is a small lie since we tried every play to get the ball to AD last year).

That makes the defense cover and stop more than one guy.

If JI and Company catches half the balls they dropped on Saturday, we're going into the RRS undefeated. The problem wasn't with getting the ball to Kelly. The problem was the other guys not doing their job the way they've been doing it all year.

TopDawg
10/3/2007, 11:21 AM

How long did he play in the Fiesta Bowl?

MI Sooner
10/3/2007, 11:40 AM
Even Bob Stoops disagrees with you.

I think that's obvious since he said, "I disagree" in reference to a Bob Stoops remark.

While I too thought Stoops remark was funny, it also relied on a faulty premise, that being -- defenses can cover Malcolm Kelly equally easily no matter where he lines up. I know that Stoops knows this, because he's way more knowledgable than I am, but it isn't true.

When we wanted to get Adrian Peterson the ball, did we split him out twenty yards from the QB, or did we hand it off to him? How many times did we hand it off? Would we have been able to just as easily throw it to him as hand it to him?

So position on the field does make a difference in the ease with which we can "get the ball to players." Personally, I don't think MK is the type of player you want to try to "get the ball to" just for the sake of getting him touches. He's a great WR, and at times I'd want my QB to throw deep to him even when he's covered, because it may be our best option anyway. But he's not a great open field runner (a la Mark Clayton). I'd rather have Iggy or DeMarco get the ball on a two yard hitch in the slot.

In summation:

1) Bob's strategy seems right, but his explanation wrong. And I couldn't tell from the camera angles shown, but if MK was single covered and Sam didn't throw it up to him, Sam was making a mistake.

2) MK one-on-one with a DB that's 5" shorter and facing the wrong way = big advantage for the Sooners.

3) MK switching places with slot-reciever to catch screens and two yard passes doens't help us a whole lot.

FaninAma
10/3/2007, 11:52 AM
If putting WR's into motion such a waste of time why do NFL teams do it? Is it for show? Does the WR just need to stretch his legs? Does it allow the WR to say "hi" to the QB as he trots by?

It sure can't be to try and isolate a receiver, overload the zone, create a mismatch, try and get the db's out of position to find a crease in the zone left by a moving db following the man in motion because Stoops said it doesn't help. So that's that.

MiccoMacey
10/3/2007, 11:54 AM
MI Sooner,

I think we're saying the same thing here.

I was disagreeing with Texas Golfer when he said we need to get the ball into MK's hands. Even Bob Stoops said as much...we don't necessarily need to get the ball into anyone's hands specifically. The other guys need to do a better job of stepping up into their roles when he is double or triple covered.

Would I like to get it into his hands? Sure. He's a big-time threat to catch any ball. And I agree that sometimes, even when he's covered, he is our best option.

But if the other guys around him make the plays they are supposed to and not drop six balls, MK has done a great service by basically pulling coverage with him and away from them.

I love to watch him catch a long pass, but I also love to watch any of our receivers catch a long pass.

Pricetag
10/3/2007, 12:20 PM
If putting WR's into motion such a waste of time why do NFL teams do it? Is it for show? Does the WR just need to stretch his legs? Does it allow the WR to say "hi" to the QB as he trots by?

Sometimes it allows our TE's to pat the center on the butt as they go by, too.

OklahomaTuba
10/3/2007, 12:31 PM
That's important for a center. They like to feel needed and special.

mdklatt
10/3/2007, 12:47 PM
Stoops said basically that he sure hoped they didn't line Sweed up in the slot or put him in motion or OU's defense would lose track of him.

That would only be a problem if Sweed was also wearing a Rashaun Woods jersey. :mad: :O

MextheBulldog
10/3/2007, 01:07 PM
Good one Bob. Subtle jabs like that are press conference gold.

Mrs.oumartin
10/3/2007, 01:10 PM
the secondary tends to lose track of alot of receivers on third and long for oh,lets say. The last 4 years.

ocsooner
10/3/2007, 01:10 PM

I think Malcom not getting the ball was more of a symptom than the problem. For some reason Sam didn't look his way at the right time, or he really was in coverage that Sam didn't feel comfortable throwing into. In the BS game, Malcom was hurt - again a symptom, not the reason we lost.

Make tackles, play tight (and right), and catch the ball - That's whats going to win this game.

BOOMER!!

ougijoe
10/3/2007, 03:28 PM
Great quote

Miko
10/3/2007, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=FaninAma]If putting WR's into motion such a waste of time why do NFL teams do it? Is it for show? Does the WR just need to stretch his legs? Does it allow the WR to say "hi" to the QB as he trots by?
QUOTE]

Often, won't putting a man in motion cause a defense to tip their hand by how they adjust, i.e. shifting the zone or his cover man following?

StoopTroup
10/3/2007, 08:21 PM
I think we should pull Bradford and make him a wide receiver.

Leroy Lizard
10/3/2007, 08:35 PM
While I too thought Stoops remark was funny, it also relied on a faulty premise, that being -- defenses can cover Malcolm Kelly equally easily no matter where he lines up

If there is a position on the field where the other team will have a hard time covering Kely, wouldn't every team then line up its best wr in that position every time? What team wouldn't want the other team struggling to cover its best WR on every single play?

utex74
10/4/2007, 01:03 AM
The reporters were hounding him about moving MK around, putting him in the slot, sending him in motion, etc. I mean they were kind of badgering him about different ways to get him open. Stoops said that it's not like the defense won't know where he is regardless of where they put him.

Later, someone asked about Texas trying to get the ball to Sweed and Stoops said basically that he sure hoped they didn't line Sweed up in the slot or put him in motion or OU's defense would lose track of him. :D

That is funny. A lot of people on our side of the river bitch about Stoops, but I have always enjoyed his press conferences. His and Leach's. They're both "pirates".

Crucifax Autumn
10/4/2007, 01:14 AM
Which is way better than the "*** Pirate" title assigned to Mack & Dennis

SoonerBOI
10/4/2007, 02:26 PM
LOL

footballfanatic
10/4/2007, 03:57 PM
I listened to the press confrence from Austin. I thought the press was too harsh on Stoops. They kept asking questions, and when he answered them, someone would say, "Really? Why?" It must really **** off coaches to have to stand and get grilled by know-nothing junior reporters trying to appear "tough" in front of their bosses. You could hear the annoyance in his voice. Like he was happy Kelly didn't get the ball or something. Obviously they didn't get him the ball--things don't always go according to plan.

r5TPsooner
10/4/2007, 03:59 PM
Stoops is as dumb as a fox.

footballfanatic
10/4/2007, 04:03 PM
Craig Way, the voice for UT broadcasts, was pretty surprised at the amount of negativity thrown at Stoops, plus the tone of the people asking the questions, and kept commenting on it. He thought it was all pretty ridiculous. It must take a lot of media training to keep from blowing your lid in press conferences, and when you do, like Gundy, you can end up looking fairly stupid.

FaninAma
10/4/2007, 04:11 PM
Craig Way, the voice for UT broadcasts, was pretty surprised at the amount of negativity thrown at Stoops, plus the tone of the people asking the questions, and kept commenting on it. He thought it was all pretty ridiculous. It must take a lot of media training to keep from blowing your lid in press conferences, and when you do, like Gundy, you can end up looking fairly stupid.

I listened to the conference and I thought, considering how the CU game turned out, that the questions were pretty benign. I thought they could have been a lot tougher on Stoops.

Maybe the Texas talking head is just used to the way Mack is treated at his press conferences. I always thought Texas reporters were very timid in Mack's press conferences following bad losses.

Stoop Dawg
10/4/2007, 04:15 PM

I think that if you make $2+ mil per year to win football games, and you take your top 5 team into unranked CU and lose, you probably _should_ have to answer a few "annoying" questions.

footballfanatic
10/4/2007, 04:24 PM
I listened to the conference and I thought, considering how the CU game turned out, that the questions were pretty benign. I thought they could have been a lot tougher on Stoops.

Maybe the Texas talking head is just used to the way Mack is treated at his press conferences. I always thought Texas reporters were very timid in Mack's press conferences following bad losses.

Yeah, we have a lot of sunshine pumpers down here. The newspaper has been less kind, though. It didn't help for PR that the day after the horrific KSU loss, the Stateman cover story was all about the 100 million UT athletic budget, and it showed the incredible facilities, with giant lounge rooms, with wide-screen TVs. bad timing, lol.

47straight
10/4/2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah, we have a lot of sunshine pumpers down here. The newspaper has been less kind, though. It didn't help for PR that the day after the horrific KSU loss, the Stateman cover story was all about the 100 million UT athletic budget, and it showed the incredible facilities, with giant lounge rooms, with wide-screen TVs. bad timing, lol.

Despite what aggie lite fans would say, I think that the Oklahoma media has to be more objective because there is more than one school covered by print and radio, as opposed to Austin media. But that's just my biased experience.

Shneeg11
10/4/2007, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=FaninAma]If putting WR's into motion such a waste of time why do NFL teams do it? Is it for show? Does the WR just need to stretch his legs? Does it allow the WR to say "hi" to the QB as he trots by?
QUOTE]

Often, won't putting a man in motion cause a defense to tip their hand by how they adjust, i.e. shifting the zone or his cover man following?

Exactly, generally putting a man in motion is to get a read on the defensive play calling pre-snap. It makes it more difficult to disguise coverages when you shift