PDA

View Full Version : Had to post this here, although it's about softball

boomersooner28
10/2/2007, 10:57 AM
Noone looks at the baseball page this time of year, and I need some answers. There is a softball player from the state that is setting all kinds of state and national records and she is committed to Wichita State. I need to know if OU was even looking at her, or if we dropped the ball on this one.

Check out these stats:

Kasha Kolb, Chelsea Green Dragons, Chelsea,OK
Chelsea Green Dragons (Class 3A #1) record: 39-0

Kasha Kolb: 39-0
Era: 0.00
As a junior, set the national record for perfect games
As a senior, set the national record for shutouts, state record for strikeouts
37 shutouts, has not allowed an earned run his season! Another state record.
22 no-hitters, 8 perfect games, 11 one-hitters, just this season.
Her rise ball calculates to be thrown at 96 mph at the baseball equivalent.

"She is the most dominant individual in a team sport in all of Oklahoma, in any sport" Claremore Progress

Here is some more if you want to read:

http://eteamz.active.com/tulsaeaglesgold/news/

:eek:

OKLA21FAN
10/2/2007, 11:00 AM
the kid OU should want is the Sophomore from B.A.

just sayin

OUMedMan
10/2/2007, 01:04 PM
As a father of a D1 softball pitcher who counts a NCAA national championship among her accomplishments, let me make an observation here.

It's very hard to translate high school accomplishments into college potential -- especially if you are talking about smaller high schools.

For the most part, college coaches don't pay too much attention to high school softball -- they are much more interested in "summer ball" -- especially events like the ASA 18 Gold national championships played every August in OKC.

Players that excel in that venue are the ones that attract attention. My daughter was reasonably unknown until she through a one-hitter against the defending ASA Gold champions several years ago -- with about 30 or 40 D-1 coaches observing.

And then she became very well known -- with all sorts of scholarship offers.

I don't know anything about the player mentioned -- however, I did note that her summer team --the "Tulsa Eagles" -- went 0 and 2 at the ASA Gold national tournament. Again, I don't know the particulars, but I suspect she must have pitched in at least one of those games and probably wasn't quite as dominanting against that competition as she had been against small high school competition.

Something that is frequently seen at this level of competition is for a good pitcher who has a good riseball to absolutely dominant against lower high school competition. But once they start facing the higher level players who have experience against riseballs, they are not quite as dominant. Part of the problem is that if you miss on a dropball, the result is a pitch in the dirt. If you miss on a riseball, the result is a pitch over the fence and the batter tuning cartwheels around the basepaths, and a esctatically happen group of the batters teammates. The kids at the higher levels of competition can take a missed rise ball over the fence quite readily.

And incidently -- the equivalent of a 96 mph riseball isn't all that unusual in softball. That translates into an actual pitch speed of 64 mph. While that is good, it isn't all that spectacular -- in my limited exposure I have seen freshmen who can throw 64 mph, and have seen 66 mph in high school competition. Granted, these kids were kids that later pitched in college. But the kid that pitched 66 mph only turned out to be a mediocre Division II pitcher (albeit a very nice and strikingly beautiful young woman).

So, just some thoughts.

Seamus
10/2/2007, 01:20 PM
Not really adding much to the discussion, but I still think Jennie Finch of UA is the hottest softball player ever.
http://www.chrismooney.com/portfolios/people/Jennie_Finch.jpg

Captain Obvious
10/2/2007, 05:14 PM
shouldn't my screen name have posted the above?