PDA

View Full Version : New Instant Replay System

Doged
10/1/2007, 11:46 PM
Today I emailed the B12 Office of the Director of Officials with my plan to revamp instant replay officiating in college football. While I'm sure the plan will be well received, I need some of you to also email your information. It'll take a total "Team Effort" to make this work correctly!

Here's how it works.

Each "Replay Guy" (the new official term) is just an average Joe or Jane viewer who emailed in their phone number. When the announcers decide a call should be reviewed, the ref uses a cell phone to call the first number on the list. If that person is watching that game, they watch the replays and either uphold or reverse the call as appropriate. If they're not watching that game, they have the option of either tuning in to see the replays or allowing the ref to call the next number on the list for a review.

Genius, yes?

So email in your phone numbers and get involved!!

:D

kevpks
10/2/2007, 12:07 AM
I volunteer to "help" with LSU and USC games.

My thought on replay in college is that the NCAA should emulate this little known football league called the "NFL." Their system doesn't seem to have as much controversy each season.

tommieharris91
10/2/2007, 12:11 AM
In Before Lock

sooner518
10/2/2007, 12:21 AM
it'd probably be more accurate than the crap they run now

goingoneight
10/2/2007, 12:26 AM
Until you get an OSU fan to make a call for you.

:les: CHEETING GOONER, ALL OF 'EM... 700-YARD PENALTY, LOSS OF DOWN!!!

Doged
10/2/2007, 12:31 AM
Until you get an OSU fan to make a call for you.

:les: CHEETING GOONER, ALL OF 'EM... 700-YARD PENALTY, LOSS OF DOWN!!!

Doh... and that brings up another problem with it.....

Like anyone really watches OSEwe games? It'll take forever to find someone willing to change channels even to watch the replays!

goingoneight
10/2/2007, 12:46 AM
OSU fans don't watch their games, they're too busy watching OUrs. Thus, dangerous idea. :D

snp
10/2/2007, 02:34 AM
How about all fans can text message their answers in and the Big 12 can reap in all the extra cash with a nominal text message fee.

ruf/nekdad
10/2/2007, 07:33 AM
^^^ Now there's a plan that could work.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2007, 07:41 AM
We'd just have to find something else to cry about.

Landthief 1972
10/2/2007, 08:34 AM
They like the current system just fine: only uphold or overturn if it adversely affects OU. Simple, right?

stoopified
10/2/2007, 09:10 AM
Couldn't be worse for OU than the current system.

cheezyq
10/2/2007, 09:22 AM
Just make the Sooners exempt from playing away games and the problem is solved.

Scott D
10/2/2007, 11:04 AM
I seem to remember replay upholding Iglesias' TD in the second quarter. I mean if the replay officials were out to get us, not only would it have been overturned, but it would have been ruled a fumble out of the endzone and Colorado's ball on the 20.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2007, 11:27 AM
I seem to remember replay upholding Iglesias' TD in the second quarter. I mean if the replay officials were out to get us, not only would it have been overturned, but it would have been ruled a fumble out of the endzone and Colorado's ball on the 20.
You aren't helping Scott.

Only biased information is allowed in this discussion.;)

Doged
10/2/2007, 09:19 PM
Hey now.. no serious football talk allowed on a NCAA bash thread! Durn thread derailers. :bsmf:

And on another side note.. WOOHOOO! It took a couple years, but I got my first neg spek from some noob that thought I was serious! :D :D :D

brown town sooner
10/2/2007, 10:29 PM
Calling someone on a cell from the field would probably take less time than the current system.

goingoneight
10/3/2007, 01:43 AM
A lot of folks think we're being targeted by crooked officiating. I think that yeah, there's been some obvious stuff... but for the most part, it's just flat-out bad luck we've had a run of the last few years. If you look at college football history, the light doesn't shine on teams forever.

Good fortune (Sooner Magic):
1. How many time can Superman Roy Williams fly over a Texas-sized offensive line and knock Chris Sims pass right into his linebacker's hands? The fly-over was incredible, but a game-stealing gimme TD was just magic.

2. We're only up by 6, the National Championship is a single FSU score away from a heart-breaking loss, Rocky Calmus delivers the hit of his life on a Heisman trophy winnar, we get the ball in the red zone. A now tired FSU defense gives up a delayed draw for the endzone to seal the deal on the 2000 MNC.

3. Colorado fake, 2002.

4. Alabammer punt-pass, 2003.

5. Torrance Marshall's "fluke" interception (as stated by all aggies and whorns) in the waning moments of what appeared to be a miracle season-ending loss at College Station.

6. Renaldo Works "the run."

As Stoops and the King have both pointed out, a lot of winning has to do with coaching, players, X's and O's... most of winning championships is circumstantial.

Using Hook 'em as an example:

1. 2004, VYU screws the fightin' Manginos out of a win that would for sure knock :mack: out of the BCS picture.

2. Reggie Bush decides to be stupid for the first time in his entire college football career (on the field) and tosses an "option pass" to a wide-open... nobody. VYU recovers, re-establishes momentum.

3. VYU, 2006 Rose Bowl... VY forward laterals beyond the line of scrimmage, with his knee down, the play goes for a momentum-saving TD.

4. 2006 RRS, an incomplete pass from ENA to AD is ruled a lateral, TD Hook 'em. Despite being severely out-gained, Hook 'em wins in double-digits.

5. 2006 Hook 'em at Nebraska, Tight End fumbles a game-sealing first down pass from Zac Taylor... whorns hit a FG in the waning moments to keep their conference winning-streak going.

Notre Dame has been damned lucky in recent years until this year... NOTHING AT ALL has gone their way.

Here's hoping the ****ty luck finds the Jimmy hats in Hell-A, soon.

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2007, 01:54 AM
Screw al the arguing...every call should go our way.

Why? Because I said so!

Texas Golfer
10/3/2007, 08:39 AM
My thought on replay in college is that the NCAA should emulate this little known football league called the "NFL." Their system doesn't seem to have as much controversy each season.

That's probably because the officials aren't paid by the conferences. We get a whole lot of "home cooking", like in Oregon, because the officials were being paid by the Pac-10.