View Full Version : November 8, 1975

soonerboy_odanorth
10/1/2007, 06:20 PM
#2 Oklahoma 3
NR Kansas 23

:pop:

swardboy
10/1/2007, 06:23 PM
Wow, we sure nixed our NC chances that year......

goodonya
10/1/2007, 06:36 PM
It was also Dad's day. I was living in my frat house. I'll tell you just how stupid I was. I had a set of glasses with the 1974 player autographs that I unceremoniously tossed onto the basketball court outside my window after that debacle. My whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, etc. were all in town for the game. Nolan Cromwell hosed us.

We all went out to what I recollect as the old SBS on Main. There were like 30 of us in one long table. We must have put away at least 20 pitchers of beer as we drown our sorrows. The next day, Sunday, was the day when I quit reading the sports page when we lost. I still cannot do it.

bigdsooner
10/1/2007, 06:43 PM
It was also Dad's day. I was living in my frat house. I'll tell you just how stupid I was. I had a set of glasses with the 1974 player autographs that I unceremoniously tossed onto the basketball court outside my window after that debacle. My whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, etc. were all in town for the game. Nolan Cromwell hosed us.

We all went out to what I recollect as the old SBS on Main. There were like 30 of us in one long table. We must have put away at least 20 pitchers of beer as we drown our sorrows. The next day, Sunday, was the day when I quit reading the sports page when we lost. I still cannot do it.

ive never read a sunday paper after a loss either. most of the time after a loss, i dont even read the sports page until the following saturday.

Soonerus
10/1/2007, 06:50 PM
I was at that game, you missed one important fact, it was in Norman...

hOlden caUlfield...
10/1/2007, 06:53 PM
12 years later, to the day, sam bradford was born.

josh09
10/1/2007, 07:04 PM
If only we could have won that, we would have 7 NC's.....

XingTheRubicon
10/1/2007, 08:01 PM
Don't forget what happened the next week. I don't think my ticker could take that now.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 08:13 PM
SBODN is a top 5 poster on this board.

goodonya
10/2/2007, 09:50 AM
If only we could have won that, we would have 7 NC's.....

We did win the '75 championship.

CtheB
10/2/2007, 09:54 AM
Weird game that one. We take the ball, and Elvis Peacock fumbles while going into the endzone on our opening drive. Then it was all Nolan Cromwell after that. We looked completely inept. I was 7, and that was a complete shocker.

If you get a chance, and I am sure some of the older people on the board have the book already, try to find a copy of "The Winning Edge", a book which chronicles the 1975 season. Great read. Game pics, and talks about the week leading up to the game, and the game itself.

TMcGee86
10/2/2007, 10:20 AM
We did win the '75 championship.

umm... you might want to read that post again.

SoonerJack
10/2/2007, 11:22 AM
Elvis Peacock. Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages.

wishbonesooner
10/2/2007, 11:26 AM
I was there. I remember Joe standing around the 40 in front of the Sooner bench(which by the way was on the opposite side from where it is now). He was holding his arms out like WTF? Sad day indeed.

KsSooner
10/2/2007, 11:47 AM
My family had just moved to Kansas that summer. It was not fun being in school the following Monday, caught heck from everyone.

But, without a doubt, Nolan Cromwell was a stud!

ouwapiti
10/2/2007, 12:13 PM
i was there..travelled from south of dallas...successfully scalped some tix and still obtained good seats.....the older sooner fans were cussing steve davis unmercifully....kansas had a good running back too.....Laverne Smith

OU Adonis
10/2/2007, 12:25 PM
So what your saying is Hawkins is going to be a pro bowler?

TUSooner
10/2/2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the lesson in perspective. I was living in Moore in 1975 and as rabid and attentive a Sooner fan as I ever was. I'm sure at the time I must have been devastated (although I was in love :) ), but in fact, I had forgotten all about that "unforgettable" catastrophe until now. (I remember a loss at Colorado a couple of years before that much better.) But anyway, I suppose the point SBODN is making so well is that we just might get over this latest unforgettable catastrophe, too.

And I certainly remember Nolan Cromwell being an awesome player.

mikeelikee
10/2/2007, 02:07 PM
Peacock's fumble through the endzone wasn't on our first possession. We already led, 3-0, and his touchdown would have made it 10-0, but instead it was a touchback. That fumble was the first in an unbelievable string of fumbles on NINE STRAIGHT possessions for us that day! :(

KRYPTON
10/2/2007, 02:32 PM
My memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure I pooped myself at the end of that game.

Admittedly, I was only 17 months old, so I had an excuse.

Collier11
10/2/2007, 03:12 PM
12 years later, to the day, sam bradford was born.

PSYCHO!!!

ouwapiti
10/2/2007, 03:41 PM
dang jaux, dont you recall the sexual revolution in the 70's?????that phenomenon gave 'succ' a whole different perspective!!!!!!hahahaha

swardboy
10/2/2007, 03:46 PM
I was in Columbia the next weekend having a major heart attack until Lil' Joe took it 70+ yards to the house and converted the 2.

SouthFortySooner
10/2/2007, 05:12 PM
The group "Kansas" was scheduled to be at the Loyd Noble playin "Dust in the Wind". No tickets would sell. They moved and had 2 blowout performances in Tulsa. Football ruled.

Leroy Lizard
10/2/2007, 07:49 PM
A true Sooner would have held it in. To show solidarity with the team.

Soonerus
10/2/2007, 08:17 PM
We did go on to win the MNC that year...can happen !!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2007, 08:34 PM
Peacock's fumble through the endzone wasn't on our first possession. We already led, 3-0, and his touchdown would have made it 10-0, but instead it was a touchback. That fumble was the first in an unbelievable string of fumbles on NINE STRAIGHT possessions for us that day! :(
I still remember playing outside the house after the game and being in total shock; i was 9 years old and pretty much had no memory of OU EVER losing a football game:(

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2007, 08:35 PM
Switzer's quipped in his book that Steve Davis had been begging him for 3 years to call plays, and that was the day he finally let him!! :)

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2007, 08:36 PM
BTW, that team had several close calls that season including a win over Colorado when the Buffs kicker missed an extra point with about a minute left that would have tied it

Soonerus
10/2/2007, 08:38 PM
BTW, that team had several close calls that season including a win over Colorado when the Buffs kicker missed an extra point with about a minute left that would have tied it

True, that was unbelievable and that was also in Norman...somehow we just had the mojo to win those games..

Desert Sapper
10/2/2007, 08:50 PM

It's creepy how we manage to have more great teams lose by weird supernatural occurances than any other team in the country. :eek:

handcrafted
10/2/2007, 09:23 PM
True, that was unbelievable and that was also in Norman...somehow we just had the mojo to win those games..

Ed-Zachary. Mojo.

We could use some just now.

FWIW, I was 9 years old at the time and not living in OK. I was living in the OC where I was born and knowing nothing except being a USuCc fan.

Enlightened, that's me now.

SoonerKnight
10/2/2007, 09:28 PM
It's creepy how we manage to have more great teams lose by weird supernatural occurances than any other team in the country. :eek:

What about Notre Dame? LOL

Just a Joke!! Don't neg!!! :eek: ;)

goodonya
10/3/2007, 10:21 AM
umm... you might want to read that post again.

Sorry, sport, I don't understand your point.

stoopified
10/3/2007, 11:16 AM
Weird game that one. We take the ball, and Elvis Peacock fumbles while going into the endzone on our opening drive. Then it was all Nolan Cromwell after that. We looked completely inept. I was 7, and that was a complete shocker.

If you get a chance, and I am sure some of the older people on the board have the book already, try to find a copy of "The Winning Edge", a book which chronicles the 1975 season. Great read. Game pics, and talks about the week leading up to the game, and the game itself.On offense we were the definition of inept.We had something like 8 straight turnovers.

Animal Mother
10/3/2007, 12:35 PM
Turned out you couldn't roller skate in a flock of jayhawks either. It wasn't raining that Norman afternoon, but it still sucked out loud. I was there and I remember Tony Dirienzo kicking a field goal from close to 50 yards and the football seemed to crawl over the goalposts with the use of it's arms and legs. That was the only reason we weren’t shut out. We were in so much shock, we went back to Jordan House and made a banner. We hung out the bathroom window with it and it read “OU We’re #9” We ended up on the front page of the Oklahoma Journal with a story caption “It’s Doomsday in Norman”. The other side of the page was the King down on one knee with a look on his face as if someone had shot his dog. We caught a ration of shat from some wannabe walk-ons from Kirk House, but we were just trying to deal with the loss best we could that day. Gotta laugh to keep from cryin’. We still kicked meatchicken’s azz in the Orange Bowl after UCLA plunked Ohio Sate in the Rose Bowl. National Champions 1975.Things work out for OU.

soonersweetie
10/3/2007, 02:43 PM
I was in Columbia the next weekend having a major heart attack until Lil' Joe took it 70+ yards to the house and converted the 2.

If I remember correctly, this is the game my dad tells me about that he listened to on the radio. Towards the end of the game, as you said, Lil Joe takes off and I believe it was Mike Treps doing the play by play then and my dad has a recording of the game on cassette tape (yea old school) and he replays it for me every now and then. He said you know you're supposed to objective when it comes to a sports broadcast but as Lil Joe takes off you can hear Mike Treps start to yell "Run Lil Joe Run!!! It is just priceless!

(Before cable/ESPN and OU on tv all the time), my dad would listen to the games on radio and record them so he could listen to them over and over in the car. Same way we do with DVD's now. You should see how many games he has. It's quite awe-inspiring)

Animal Mother
10/3/2007, 05:52 PM
If I remember correctly, this is the game my dad tells me about that he listened to on the radio. Towards the end of the game, as you said, Lil Joe takes off and I believe it was Mike Treps doing the play by play then and my dad has a recording of the game on cassette tape (yea old school) and he replays it for me every now and then. He said you know you're supposed to objective when it comes to a sports broadcast but as Lil Joe takes off you can hear Mike Treps start to yell "Run Lil Joe Run!!! It is just priceless!

(Before cable/ESPN and OU on tv all the time), my dad would listen to the games on radio and record them so he could listen to them over and over in the car. Same way we do with DVD's now. You should see how many games he has. It's quite awe-inspiring)

Your dad gets my vote as Sooner fan numero uno!!!! I only have John Brooks last game in 1990 on audio tape or maybe it’s just the highlights of 36,000 “Jeeminy Christmases” they played at the beginning of the broadcast.
During the Mizzou game, everyone in Jordan House had turned the game off but us. We went beyond ballistic on the touchdown run and then bat sh*t crazy on the two point conversion. I was running up and down the hall screaming “we won!!!” and the other guys probably thought we were smoking opium until they turned their radios on again. Joe got the stripe to the end of the ball over the goal line on the two pointer. Smoke through a keyhole !!! I may be wrong, but it seemed lie there was two or three seconds of silence before Treps snapped and started to scream.

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2007, 07:05 PM
You can find that video, complete with the Go Joe Go call, on youtube if you look for it.