PDA

View Full Version : USC is lookin at in-state DT, McGee

BASSooner
10/1/2007, 03:25 PM
...according to uscfootball.com

ever since the coaching staff saw his film, those guys are expressing interest in him. Any chance they'll snatch him from OUr state or is he a lock here?

SNJ and CS or anyone else, if you guys have any information about this PLEASE let us know. Thanks!

Desert Sapper
10/2/2007, 10:13 AM
It would be nice if we didn't *****foot around with him and Jameel Owens. Those are two guys that seem to be consensus top players in OUr state. If we play too much, we'll lose them.

Rhino
10/2/2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know how we're *****footing around with them. They've had formal scholarship offers since at least the spring...probably earlier.

They're two of our top, top targets.

Desert Sapper
10/2/2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know how we're *****footing around with them. They've had formal scholarship offers since at least the spring...probably earlier.

They're two of our top, top targets.

That's really great to hear. We need to pull all of the state's best players to Norman. It's always nice to get the best 5-10 players in that state to the south, too.

Hella Sideburns
10/2/2007, 10:36 PM
I don't want to act like I have too much inside info here, but the vibe i get out of muskogee is that if either of these two commit to somewhere outside of OU, then they weren't going to go to OU in the first place.

goingoneight
10/3/2007, 01:22 AM
$750,000 houses have an effect on recruiting. :O

snp
10/3/2007, 02:02 PM
They've both favored us for a long time and it'd surprise me to see them go elsewhere.

insuranceman_22
10/5/2007, 12:00 AM
I hope you're right Ninja.....I'm a little nervous about them. Is McGee projected as a DT or DE?

NorthernIowaSooner
10/5/2007, 02:29 AM
usc also recruited mccoy but i dont know how hard and gresham if i remember right but i also dont know how hard. other states are gonna hit up oklahomas best guys but i think the % of them staying in state is probly better then them leaving

Desert Sapper
10/5/2007, 07:22 AM
usc also recruited mccoy but i dont know how hard and gresham if i remember right but i also dont know how hard. other states are gonna hit up oklahomas best guys but i think the % of them staying in state is probly better then them leaving

That hasn't always been the case. Especially during the Stoops era. Especially with wide receivers (Robert Meachem, anybody?). McCoy (suc) was a great instate victory, as was Reggie Smith (nebbish), as was Gresh (the u, methinks). Not saying we don't do a good job recruiting instate, but if Ryan Broyles was any indicator, we tend to play a little when we 'know' a kid is coming to OU. Sometimes that works. Other times...

NorthernIowaSooner
10/5/2007, 01:36 PM
im not saying we get them all and theyre locks i just assume the % of them staying in state is higher

The Consumate Showman
10/5/2007, 04:01 PM
Look, JO hasn't taken one visit yet. Not one...that is, except to OU...that should tell you something right there. Also, McGee has not taken any visits to date...again, that should tell you something. JO and Stacey have been geting love from a LOT of schools other than OU and the fact that they have not gone officially to any of them and have not made plans to visit any of them officially, IMO, speaks volumes as to where we stand with them.

Our coaches have been recruiting them extremely hard and JO and Stacey both know just how bad OU wants them on the team. they are the type of players that we will be offering all the way and will be making way for them on our scholly list no matter who commits between now and then.

JO has always talked about OU being on top and McGee, while he might have like Arkansas early because of Nutt and McFadden and the mystique surrounding their team last year, has also moved OU to the top of his list. In the end, OU will get them both in before signing day.

The Consumate Showman
10/5/2007, 04:13 PM
That hasn't always been the case. Especially during the Stoops era. Especially with wide receivers (Robert Meachem, anybody?). McCoy (suc) was a great instate victory, as was Reggie Smith (nebbish), as was Gresh (the u, methinks). Not saying we don't do a good job recruiting instate, but if Ryan Broyles was any indicator, we tend to play a little when we 'know' a kid is coming to OU. Sometimes that works. Other times...

I think Ryan has got to be a little bit of an exception here. And I think you can blame Ryan's recruitment on Cale a bit there, too. Remember, it was Cale that told AD, "We'll win with you or without you." Now, everyone always says that was an awesome thing to do on Cale's part, but it was really pretty ballsy and highly risky. Think if AD would have been the RB at Jenks and Cale went to him and said that...AD might have flipped him the bird and sailed south like Pickryl did. Then what would have happened to OU with him running behind UT's massive OL?

I think that kind of logic can work on a kid from Texas where their options are bloated to the gills with 8 D-1 schools to choose from, but in Oklahoma? Only 3 here. Our kids are a bit more limited. So,(obviously I don't know what was said to Ryan) if Cale did indeed use that on Ryan, it very well might have rubbed him teh wrong way. I assume he probably did though. That kind of thing just seems to fit Cale and his personality/attitude.

I think that it is really the other way around with a lot players from Oklahoma. Our kids usually seem to be the ones that want to look around and wait till the last possible day to commit because they may want to see how seroious out-of-state programs are with them and where these out-of-state schools want to play them or they get like David Oku or Gerald Jones and get mad when OU doesn't pour on the "love" for them. Granted there are those Austin Box type kids out there, but how many do you see year-to-year that are just gung-ho on being a Sooner?

This then brings us back to the dead horse. All we have to do is look at the talent level of players in Oklahoma and then go compare that to Texas players and we have our answer as to why OU might not go wild for some players that we native Oklahomans fell OU should be recruiting hard. Oklahoma will always have 3-5 guys, sometimes a couple more, that will get recruited nationally...but look at Texas, they will have 20-40 kids that wil get recruited nationally. And OU will always be in on about half of those kids. So we ought not to hate on Stoops and Co. for getting those top teir kids when we can, no matter if they do come from across the river.

Desert Sapper
10/5/2007, 07:58 PM
I think Owens and McGee are pretty nationally recognized. I just don't want to see them slip between our fingers. I have faith in OUr coaching staff and their ability to evaluate and recruit talent. I'm just your typical Sooner fan. I fail to understand how anyone would even think of playing for ANY other university. Boomer!

NDN_Soonerfan
10/6/2007, 01:23 PM
Just as long as Alabama does not get into the recruiting of those two i will not worry.

INGRAM1
10/6/2007, 01:35 PM
I think that we will get at least one of them. We have a great class coming in and AB said that would be one of his factors. Go Sooners kill them horns today.

mizzOUstu702
10/9/2007, 06:09 PM
Jeremy Shockey...that is all...of course, he is kind of a punk***, but whateves.

The Consumate Showman
10/9/2007, 06:47 PM
Jeremy Shockey...that is all...of course, he is kind of a punk***, but whateves.

Eh...different situation w/him. He was NOT ready to play D-1 when he came out of Ada. Need some help to get there first. ;)