PDA

View Full Version : Bob's Reaction To The CU Loss Or How Bob Lost His Mojo.

FaninAma
10/1/2007, 12:12 PM
The game in Dallas will be an interesting study in the psychology of our coaching staff.

Will they feel pressured due to the unexpected loss v. CU and fall back into their usual conservative mode in big games away from Owen Field of playing conservatively on offense and trying to win with special teams and a bend-but-don't-break defense? Will they allow a tentative attitude creep back into their players' psyche so that we see the same uptight, afraid-to-screw-up performance we saw in Boulder?

Or will they come out breathing fire and have the same attitude instilled into their team to try and take Texas to the woodshed early and often on both offense and defense like we saw in 2000 and 03?

I think the horns will be ready to lay down and quit but if OU plays conservatively and tentatively like they did in Boulder, the Horns could stay in the game while gaining confidence and it could end up being another nail biter.

I think attitude is the place where Bob Stoops misses Mike Stoops. Mike was Hyde to Bob's Jeckyl...especially in big games. Mike's leaving essentially took a lot of Bob's mojo and he's has yet to regain it.

MikeInNorman
10/1/2007, 12:49 PM
I stole Bob Stoops' Mojo!!! I'm DEAD SEXY!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Fat_bastard_APTSWSM.jpg/300px-Fat_bastard_APTSWSM.jpg

Mister Jerry Schmidt tellin' me to lose weight! "Oh, I'm a hard case", he says! Well, listen up, Sunny Jim: I ate a baby!!!! Oh, aye, Baby: the other, other white meat! Baby: it's what's for dinner!

aero
10/1/2007, 12:49 PM
Didn't Mike coach the defense? IMO, the biggest problem against CU was the inability to sustain a drive. 1/9 on third down conversion will wear about any D down, let alone one playing away in thin air. I thought the D has been solid this year and didn't play too bad a game against CU. They were just hung out too long. Not to bag on Reggie, but that miscue was critical. Reminded me of Mark Bradley's brain lock. With that said, Reggie's contributed plenty to our wins so it is what it is, one mistake. It wasn't the sole reason we lost. Dropped passes, blown coverage, questionable play calling. Hey, it happens to the best, right? Right. It happens to us. Nobody, including us, knew how good we are and actually still don't. We have this Saturday and the rest of the season to show it.

MextheBulldog
10/1/2007, 12:53 PM
This is a must win for the team and staff. A third straight loss to the whorns is unacceptable. Besides, the whorns look terrrrrrrible.

MamaMia
10/1/2007, 12:59 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Fat_bastard_APTSWSM.jpg/300px-Fat_bastard_APTSWSM.jpg
Wow, thats the biggest opium pipe I have ever seen. :eek:

sooneron
10/1/2007, 01:00 PM
Didn't Mike coach the defense? IMO, the biggest problem against CU was the inability to sustain a drive. 1/9 on third down conversion will wear about any D down, let alone one playing away in thin air. I thought the D has been solid this year and didn't play too bad a game against CU. They were just hung out too long. Not to bag on Reggie, but that miscue was critical. Reminded me of Mark Bradley's brain lock. With that said, Reggie's contributed plenty to our wins so it is what it is, one mistake. It wasn't the sole reason we lost. Dropped passes, blown coverage, questionable play calling. Hey, it happens to the best, right? Right. It happens to us. Nobody, including us, knew how good we are and actually still don't. We have this Saturday and the rest of the season to show it.
I agree with a lot of this. I re-watched the game this AM and noticed that the gunner on the punt may have blocked Reggie's view of the ball momentarily before it hit his hands. Not an excuse, but it made me take a second look at the play. Reggie made the right play in fielding it, if he hadn't, CU would have prolly downed it inside the 10.
Our Offense didn't really put an entire drive together. We didn't eat 80 yards with the exception of the long run by Patrick.

aero
10/1/2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, I thought he may have been interfered with also, but more than that I thought he was out of position when he tried to catch it. It looked like he dropped his knees too early and wasn't under the ball and had to lean over and into it.

OUTrumpet
10/1/2007, 01:13 PM
I stole Bob Stoops' Mojo!!! I'm DEAD SEXY!!!!

Mister Jerry Schmidt tellin' me to lose weight! "Oh, I'm a hard case", he says! Well, listen up, Sunny Jim: I ate a baby!!!! Oh, aye, Baby: the other, other white meat! Baby: it's what's for dinner!

Is that Moe Dampeer?

OklahomaTuba
10/1/2007, 01:29 PM
No, its Mark Mangino.

MamaMia
10/1/2007, 01:42 PM
No, its Mark Mangino.Oh, that explains his munchies.

r5TPsooner
10/1/2007, 01:45 PM
If the players catch the damned ball, both offensively and defensively, we'll win the game.

I hope that malcolm decides to show up after having the last two games off.

FaninAma
10/1/2007, 03:03 PM
This is a must win for the team and staff. A third straight loss to the whorns is unacceptable. Besides, the whorns look terrrrrrrible.

I agree. If OUloses to the whorns I think the uproar will be even worse than that seen during the 05 season.

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 03:11 PM
I'm not sure about all this "mojo" talk, but I do remember when I used to look forward to the Texas game because we always seemed to have a totally new look on O for that game. Haven't seen that in the last few years though. I would like to see it this year.

I know no one would ever admit to it, but I hope like hell that they spent an inordinate amount of time last week practicing for Texas.

StormySooner-IN
10/1/2007, 03:13 PM
Is that Moe Dampeer?No, It's Charlie Weis.

birddog
10/1/2007, 11:55 PM
Yes, I thought he may have been interfered with also, but more than that I thought he was out of position when he tried to catch it. It looked like he dropped his knees too early and wasn't under the ball and had to lean over and into it.
it looks like reggie is on his heels every time he fields a punt. all of his weight his on his heels and it's natural that he would fall back. i'm not sure why he does this but i'm sure it's been mentioned before.

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2007, 12:27 AM
oh, it has been...and it has always made me nervous as hell.

goingoneight
10/2/2007, 12:56 AM
The radio know-it-alls said Dominique Franks should take over as teh PR and see a little more time at corner to relieve either Reggie or Marcus. If there's one thing that wears you down, it is running deep routes down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down-after-down.

I really hope we get another shot at CU this year... because we don't play them next year and I don't know if they're ready to assume the BIG 12 North dominant representation in the CCG. I hope so, because Hawkins seems to be a nice guy and his players and coaches all spoke respectfully of us. They really did look good a few times the last few weeks, folks... you never know. Hawkins could be like Lester or Bob or Snyder or any of the other cats who came into the BIG 12 and made a name for themselves.
I thought Colorado was extremely talented for such a young team last year, but that poor excuse for quarterback play really killed them. Stoops said it himself that their defense is for real long before last Saturday, too. All they needed was a quality triggerman, and CH seems to be about as good as Sam (all things considered, Sam has more talent surrounding him, IMHO). These two guys can be scary good in coming years.

WA. Sooner
10/2/2007, 01:20 AM
OU will crush texass if they just line up and play. Quit waiting on seeing what the d is doing and snap the ball. When we keep changing the play and letting the clock run down is when we go into a shell.
I would like to see a quicker snap, and more decisiveness in the play call.

KantoSooner
10/2/2007, 03:18 AM
This thread seems to have wandered around until WA brought it back to what it was originally about: attitude.
We'll see how the Sooners respond to embarassment in Dallas; will they tighten up or go out and get what's theirs back?
I think it hard for anyone to just let it all hang out and go 100% but that's what our coaches need to instill and need to live themselves. Would you rather lose a game because you went too hard? Or lose it because you tightened up, went conservative and got predictable? What's the downside? None - live large Sooners.

CitySooner
10/2/2007, 06:30 AM
The mighty Crimson will be back in the national championship chase after they have their way with the puke of the south. Everything that could go wrong went wrong in Boulder, while OU was just one play away the entire second half from securing victory. If there is any benefit from losing, I believe the Sooners will now realize (including the coaching staff) what needs to be done to achieve our lofty goals. The puke of the south were totally abused and owned by K-State for their fourth consecutive conference loss. They are done. Finished. Our defense will bring it all day on McCoy, the offense will find a way to get the ball in Malcom's hands of glue, and the puke of the south will be where they belong battling Baylor for supremecy of the Big XII south cellar.