PDA

View Full Version : Your Expectations for OU's FB Program?

MI Sooner
10/1/2007, 12:04 PM
I'm interested in hearing what everyone's expectations are for the Sooners. I don't mean on a weekly basis, but over the long term. Since the Stoops era is getting close to a decade old, let's say pick a decade as the time-frame.

Over the couse of a decade, I'd be satisfied if:

The Sooners won one national championship
Contend for a few more more (contending defined as realisticly in the hunt throughout the season)
Win the Bix XII South half the time
Win >50% of CCG, bowl, and Texas games
Never have a losing season
Play in a good bowl (Holiday or better) nine times

So far, Stoops & Co. were far-outpacing my (high) expectations in their first six years. Fast forward to 2007, and I'd say they've clearly met them, which is impressive considering the shape the program was in when they took over. If the last couple of years repeat themselves (I think we're 23-9 over our last 32), then I'd say that the program isn't up to snuff. So I guess if we only win 70% of our games through 2009, don't contend for national titles, and only beat Texas and win South once, I'd be dissatisfied. There were some unusual reasons (Bomar, poor officiating) that contributed to our defeats over the last couple of years. After a couple more, those "reasons" would just be excuses.

I'm willing to give a lot of credit for past success, as long as it isn't too distant. Before I went to OU, I was a Michigan State fan who always wondered why Jud Heathcote was a highly-regarded basketball coach when it seemed like he rode Magic Johnson's coattails to an otherwise mediocre 20-year tenure. I've seen Michigan fans finally get fed up with Lloyd Carr ten years after they won the MNC because of numerous seasons comprable to OU's in 2006.

Are these consistent with your expectations? If we founder for another few years, will you change your expectations or your coach?

p.s. I mostly wrote this so I'll have something to remind me to be reasonable next time I decide to make a cell phone call ten seconds after the opponent's game-winning field goal so I can share my opinions with my friends (and neighbors who happen to have their windows open).

Serenity Now.

picasso
10/1/2007, 12:12 PM
this season? another conference title. We still don't know a whole heckuva a lot about this year's team. Frosh QB, soft secondary, etc..

imjebus
10/1/2007, 12:12 PM
I have no expectations other than having a good time watching what happens. Of course I want them to win but it's pretty pathetic to see how people freak out when we lose.

yermom
10/1/2007, 12:15 PM
i'm let down at the point that we can't win the national championship

i expect to make a bowl game, and be competitive in every game.

expecting to win the Big 12 South every year is too high. sure, it's nice, and most of the time we should, but EVERY YEAR is a bit much, realistically

realistically, winning the Big 12 South more than 50% of the time is pretty good, and winning the Big 12 anywhere close to that is really good

as it stands, Stoops has won the Big 12 50% of the seasons he's been here (4/8) and the South 62.5% (5/8)

and really, only 2 of those years we weren't in the discussion for the national championship late into the season

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 12:18 PM
I have no expectations other than having a good time watching what happens. Of course I want them to win but it's pretty pathetic to see how people freak out when we lose.

I guess that's why we're called fans. Fans = fanatics. :)

stoopified
10/1/2007, 12:20 PM
I want us to compete for National Titles,or finish in THE TOP 10 every year.I think in doing so we will also win conference titles and Bowl games.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 12:21 PM
i think realistic expectations coming into the season were 9-3 or 10-2 range. saw possible stumbles ar CU, Texas, and TT. i thought before the season we would figure out a way to get by CU, but Texas and TT concerned me. we have the talent to go 11-1, and hopefully the coaches can make adjustments during the game if their gameplan isnt working.

fadada1
10/1/2007, 12:23 PM
i look at it like this, there are about 119 other schools that would do anything for a "coach stoops" type and the success he's brought over the past 9 years. even with bad losses and getting screwed by officiating or having to deal with the bomar-types, we're still ahaed of nearly everyone over those 9 years.

how quickly we forget the blake years. ugh.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 12:31 PM
i look at it like this, there are about 119 other schools that would do anything for a "coach stoops" type and the success he's brought over the past 9 years. even with bad losses and getting screwed by officiating or having to deal with the bomar-types, we're still ahaed of nearly everyone over those 9 years.

how quickly we forget the blake years. ugh.exactly fad. the people who are ready to run stoops, venables, or wilson out of town are foolish IMO. sometimes, it just comes down to the players on the field, not the scheme or coaching.

MextheBulldog
10/1/2007, 01:29 PM
-Compete for the conference title every year. This means a top 1 or 2 finish in the division
-Win all non-conference games
-BEAT TEXAS
-Win every Big 12 championship game appearance.
-Make a BCS bowl 3 out of 5 years.
-Play for a national title once every 7 years. (and preferably win)

The above list is based on the current talent level on the roster.

Piware
10/1/2007, 02:20 PM
-Compete for the conference title every year. This means a top 1 or 2 finish in the division
-Win all non-conference games
-BEAT TEXAS
-Win every Big 12 championship game appearance.
-Make a BCS bowl 3 out of 5 years.
-Play for a national title once every 7 years. (and preferably win)

The above list is based on the current talent level on the roster.

Mex, I like the way you think. This tracks pretty much with my own expectations. Now whether they are realistic or not is another story because as we all know, s**t happens. Boomer Sooner!

mightysooner
10/1/2007, 02:28 PM
I expect them to show up every game prepared to play, motivated, and well coached.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2007, 02:45 PM
To crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Heh.

aero
10/1/2007, 02:47 PM
Pretty much what mightysooner said. I EXPECT them to compete, to show fight, and to be well coached. I HOPE they go undefeated and with a NC. Been that way every year since the early 70's.

of course, what GottaHavePride said isn't too bad, either.

Spartan(Sooner at Heart)
10/1/2007, 02:56 PM
Represent the program and fans with class, in both victory and defeat. Recruit quality individuals who will likely stay out of legal trouble and in class. Maintain OU's elite status by contending for and winning championships on a consistent basis. Every fourth year player leaving the program should experience at least a BCS bowl victory and leave a legacy in the form of championship banner (B12 or MNC).

olevetonahill
10/1/2007, 03:07 PM
I expect nothing less the another "Streak " starting This Sat. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2007, 03:19 PM
48 straight!....Actually, all I ask is to not quit, and to not run those effin' plays where the QB holds the ball out for everyone to see, and hands off to the tailback 10 yds deep in the backfield!

TXBOOMER
10/1/2007, 03:38 PM
I expect to beat inferior talent every time (I know that can't happen because of mistakes by players and BS referee callas and bad schemes). With a fluke Boise State game in the mix every 2 or 3 years. Win at least half the texass games which will lead to winning the Big 12 south half the time and hopefully winning the big 12 the majority of those chances. I'd like to think that would get us in the NC hunt at least three times every 10 year. This will be the third year in a row we are not in the NC hunt. So if we meet that expectation we'll be in the hunt 3 out of the next 7. That is what I expect and I believe Stoops expects that and more.

recemp
10/1/2007, 04:56 PM
I expect them to show up every game prepared to play, motivated, and well coached.

This is what I expect as well. It drives me crazy when it looks like they took a vacation all week

janderson255
10/1/2007, 07:41 PM
To crush our enemies, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women.

Heh.

TO CRUSH OUR ENEMY, DRIVE THEM BEFORE US, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR CHILDREN... CRUSH SKULL!!

goingoneight
10/1/2007, 08:01 PM
Just play to win. Be competitive even when nothing is going right. This weekend, we were at leat competitive despite another fluke run of bad mistakes.

A lot of people seem to forget that both of our recent MNC's (1985 and 2000), we had the ball bounce our way in order to get them. Remember Torrance Marshall's interception late in what should have been a loss at aTm? Remember the officiating we lucked out on in the 86 Orange Bowl? JoePa remembers, and so does RC. Remember who had to lose to Tennessee in order for OUr 1986 Orange Bowl to even decide a National Champion?

Barry lost a lot of heart-breakers, too... so did Bud. That's why in 19-year tenures, they both only notched 3 MNCs a piece. I'd say Bob already winning one, in what I feel is a much tougher game to coach today, with 4.5 BIG 12 Titles, we're on track as we should be. Remember despite OUr losses, there are 100+ other teams who would love to go the places we'll go by season's end. I waited 15 years to see us win another MNC, I thought for awhile we'd never win another GAME under Blake... but Sooner magic prevailed as it always does. We'll be fine.

Curly Bill
10/1/2007, 08:53 PM
I expect to beat the teams our talent level says we should, regardless of where that game is played and regardless of what altitude that game is played at.

sooneron
10/1/2007, 09:34 PM
1. Represent the University with pride and class
2. Show up and compete ... hard
3. Compete for the Big 12 S yearly.
4. Win a big 12 champ a few times a decade.
5. Compete for NC a few times a decade
6. Bring quality people into OUr University and see them Graduate (for the most part- I am a realist)