PDA

View Full Version : In Case of Emergency

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 11:00 AM
OK people...right now..get out your cell phone and put an entry in there called ICE and put your emergency person's contact number. A guy here at my office had a heart attack this morning and we had NO IDEA how to reach his family. He lives out in the country, so we had to call the county sheriff's dept and send someone out there to find his wife. Also no contact info for his son so we had to call the college where he attends school and get the dean's office to look up his schedule and go get him out of class.

yermom
10/1/2007, 11:08 AM
ICE, interesting

i have like "home" and "mom" in there...

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 11:26 AM
ICE - In Case of Emergency
I guess it's a fairly new deal, and firemen, paramedics, police look for it first in the contact list now.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2007, 11:28 AM
That's a good idea. scary stuff...

sooner_born_1960
10/1/2007, 11:39 AM
It sounds like you're pretty good at locating people. Can I just put your number in?

IB4OU2
10/1/2007, 11:42 AM
ICE - In Case of Emergency
I guess it's a fairly new deal, and firemen, paramedics, police look for it first in the contact list now.

Mine's OFE- Old Fart Emergency

Fire, paramedics, proctologist, funeral home....

Ike
10/1/2007, 11:43 AM
what if you don't have a cell phone?

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 11:44 AM
You can also put in the acronym for "Fire And Rescue Team"

IB4OU2
10/1/2007, 11:44 AM
what if you don't have a cell phone?

Carrier Pigion?

OUDoc
10/1/2007, 11:48 AM
My cell phone sits turned off in my car.

Ike
10/1/2007, 11:50 AM
Carrier Pigion?
I use smoke signals.

Maybe I should write "puff-puff-pause-puff" on a box of cigarettes.

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 12:13 PM
My cell phone sits turned off in my car.

so, if you had a car crash, the paramedics could find it, yes?

KC//CRIMSON
10/1/2007, 12:18 PM
Something else that most people don't know: Your cell phone can always dial out to 911 even if you don't have a phone service activated on your phone.

I have a fully charged/turned off old cell phone in my glove box at all times.

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 12:19 PM
You can also put in the acronym for "Fire And Rescue Team"
Fire And Rescue Team = FART

nevermind.......................

mdklatt
10/1/2007, 12:30 PM
I thought about that kind of stuff when I put numbers in my phone. I can categorize my contacts, so I have a "Family" group. I have "Mom" and "Dad" listed as contacts, so hopefully that's self-explanatory. I also have "MD" after my PCP and "DDS" after my dentist.

yermom
10/1/2007, 12:33 PM
Something else that most people don't know: Your cell phone can always dial out to 911 even if you don't have a phone service activated on your phone.

I have a fully charged/turned off old cell phone in my glove box at all times.

some phones will dial 911 still when the keys are locked as well

OUDoc
10/1/2007, 12:38 PM
so, if you had a car crash, the paramedics could find it, yes?
maybe

StuIsTheMan
10/1/2007, 12:47 PM
I just call these guys...

http://epguides.com/RescueHeroes/cast.jpg

Ike
10/1/2007, 12:52 PM
In case of emergency, please call 911.

:D

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 01:04 PM
is your coworker ok?

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 01:06 PM
is your coworker ok?
:rolleyes:

we've moved past sympathy at this point ;)

seriously, how is he doing?

Hamhock
10/1/2007, 01:08 PM
some phones will dial 911 still when the keys are locked as well

this i know.

OUDoc
10/1/2007, 01:11 PM
A guy here at my office had a heart attack this morning and we had NO IDEA how to reach his family. He lives out in the country, so we had to call the county sheriff's dept and send someone out there to find his wife. Also no contact info for his son so we had to call the college where he attends school and get the dean's office to look up his schedule and go get him out of class.
You guys did fine. How easy do you want it?

1stTimeCaller
10/1/2007, 01:14 PM
did you try to look for 'home' on his cell phone?

;)

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 01:14 PM
I'm gonna put OUDoc's cell phone as my ICE. Just to pizz everyone off.

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 01:15 PM
I'm going to put my own number under the ICE so they beep in on their own call when they're wanting to save me.

My last act will be a practical joke :D

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 01:16 PM
easier than it was. it took us about an hour to reach a family member. he could've been dead by then.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 01:17 PM
heh.

Edit: heh was for SAS.

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 01:17 PM
ok, forget i said anything. someone please delete this thread.

StuIsTheMan
10/1/2007, 01:20 PM
nah you have to call PG a bad name first...

sooner_born_1960
10/1/2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the tip.

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 01:22 PM
PG likes spiders.

will that work?

StuIsTheMan
10/1/2007, 01:23 PM
only time will tell...

olevetonahill
10/1/2007, 01:25 PM
Ive heard of that Brat .
But what If I dont give a **** if my kids find out im dead right now or in a few hours ?

StuIsTheMan
10/1/2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah just call the Brewery...their stock might plumit...;) :D

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 01:28 PM
Ive heard of that Brat .
But what If I dont give a **** if my kids find out im dead right now or in a few hours ?

what if you were conscious for about an hour before you died and you had a chance to say goodbye, but they couldn't find your family?

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 01:30 PM
what if you were conscious for about an hour before you died and you had a chance to say goodbye, but they couldn't find your family?
olevet isn't even lucid an hour a day right now ;)

OUDoc
10/1/2007, 01:31 PM
Then he should tell you the number and quit screwing with everyone.

StuIsTheMan
10/1/2007, 01:32 PM
how is he screwing with ya...I missed that part...

sooner_born_1960
10/1/2007, 01:36 PM
Brat, while you're getting a lot of crap over this, I bet a dozen or so people have added ICE to their contacts. Thanks you for this public service.
Oh, if you are going to do this, don't lock your phone with a password.

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 01:40 PM
And added FART also

olevetonahill
10/1/2007, 01:42 PM
Then he should tell you the number and quit screwing with everyone.
Damnit Doc . I still :D :D :D :D :D :D

olevetonahill
10/1/2007, 01:48 PM
Brat, while you're getting a lot of crap over this, I bet a dozen or so people have added ICE to their contacts. Thanks you for this public service.
Oh, if you are going to do this, don't lock your phone with a password.
What he said
But its jjust to much fun to Not be a smartass in things like this
Part of the world I live in , Every one knows where everyone else is .
Small towns are like that . Ya know fart on one end every one else smells it 5 seconds later .

IB4OU2
10/1/2007, 02:33 PM
What he said
But its jjust to much fun to Not be a smartass in things like this
Part of the world I live in , Every one knows where everyone else is .
Small towns are like that . Ya know fart on one end every one else smells it 5 seconds later .

Do you live in west Tulsa?

soonerbrat
10/1/2007, 02:40 PM
OK, he didn't have a heart attack, it was aortic dissection. Just as serious if not more..he's in surgery now.

OUDoc
10/1/2007, 02:53 PM
OK, he didn't have a heart attack, it was aortic dissection. Just as serious if not more..he's in surgery now.
Yeah, that's worse. Good luck to him.

Turd_Ferguson
10/1/2007, 03:34 PM
I have ICE1, ICE2, etc. cause my wife never answers her got damn phone anyway.:(

C&CDean
10/1/2007, 03:43 PM
I'm really disappointed in y'all.

Not a single "why would someone want to call a has-been white rapper?"

soonerbrat
10/2/2007, 09:23 AM
My coworker died. He had complications during surgery.

OUDoc
10/2/2007, 09:27 AM
My coworker died. He had complications during surgery.
:(

A dissecting aorta is very dangerous.
Now I feel all icky for teasing you. Sorry about your friend, brat.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2007, 09:30 AM
I'm sorry to hear. Sounds like a rough way to go.

soonerbrat
10/2/2007, 09:49 AM
we were at least able to get in touch with his family..his wife and son got to visit with him for a short time before he died.

at our company, we have employees trained to deal with emergency situations on the floor...I'm one of those emergency people..we learn CPR, first aid and how to defib someone...but we don't learn how to deal with what happens after someone we work on dies. Our head floor warden had to have her husband come pick her up..she was the first to respond after my boss found him lying face down in his office...she did everything she was supposed to do but she's still blaming herself. everyone's pretty sad around here.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/2/2007, 10:02 AM
Rough to hear it. But a heads up...

As it stands for the Tulsa Fire Department, we have no protocol or policy on ICE, nor in my experience do we even attempt to locate a cell phone and contact next of kin during a medical emergency. In cases of unconscious patients, we have what I'm sure you medical types understand as 'implied consent' where without a DNR or advance medical directive, we act in the best interests of the patient and execute patient care under protocols established by the medical director, regardless of the input of a family member or loved one. From my understanding, use of ICE numbers can actually result in violation of HIPAA depending on the extent of the information provided in the call. Point being, if you're in bad enough shape to need family members notified and unable to do it yourself, as the first response agency in Tulsa, we'll be busy making sure you're stabilized and transported to definitive care within the Golden Hour. Not trying to find contact information on a cell phone. Maybe hospital staff or someone else can or will make that call. We won't.

OU4LIFE
10/2/2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry for you Brat.

soonerbrat
10/2/2007, 10:19 AM
Rough to hear it. But a heads up...

As it stands for the Tulsa Fire Department, we have no protocol or policy on ICE, nor in my experience do we even attempt to locate a cell phone and contact next of kin during a medical emergency. In cases of unconscious patients, we have what I'm sure you medical types understand as 'implied consent' where without a DNR or advance medical directive, we act in the best interests of the patient and execute patient care under protocols established by the medical director, regardless of the input of a family member or loved one. From my understanding, use of ICE numbers can actually result in violation of HIPAA depending on the extent of the information provided in the call. Point being, if you're in bad enough shape to need family members notified and unable to do it yourself, as the first response agency in Tulsa, we'll be busy making sure you're stabilized and transported to definitive care within the Golden Hour. Not trying to find contact information on a cell phone. Maybe hospital staff or someone else can or will make that call. We won't.

fine. whoever needs to make the call will be able to find it easier. Sorry I included EMS/fire.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/2/2007, 10:22 AM
at our company, we have employees trained to deal with emergency situations on the floor...I'm one of those emergency people..we learn CPR, first aid and how to defib someone...but we don't learn how to deal with what happens after someone we work on dies. Our head floor warden had to have her husband come pick her up..she was the first to respond after my boss found him lying face down in his office...she did everything she was supposed to do but she's still blaming herself. everyone's pretty sad around here.

To add, critical incident stress is there. No avoiding it. It's a well documented phenomena and psychologists are well versed in dealing with the problems that arise after these emotionally charged events. It is such a prevalent issue that the City of Tulsa actually provides for critical incident stress debriefing teams composed of responders for both the Police and Fire departments along with actual professional psychological services to assist in dealing with this all too common problem, just like your friend is experiencing.

I'm no psychologist, but oftentimes a "defusing" or debriefing is exactly what's called for after an incident like this. It gives one and all the opportunity to express, at their own volition, issues, thoughts, or simply observations on the incident. It allows responders, or co-workers in this case, an opportunity to see that emotional issues resulting from critical incident stress are common and often shared with everyone involved from the non-descript co-worker to the actual person involved in the resuscitation. We're blessed as firefighters, for the stress you've experienced is expected of us so we have coping mechanisms in place to deal with it. John Q. Citizen doesn't have that built-in luxury for a problem that is just as apparent there as it is within the emergency response community.

Instead of simply having folks "deal" with the issue on their own time, I'd highly recommend that you suggest to your supervisory staff some sort of action in this regard. It can be as simple as defining company policy on mental health care as it pertains to your specific insurance coverage. Reminders of any psychological services your company provides. A "team meeting" to voice concerns. Regularly scheduled CPR and AED refresher classes. Possibly even the formation of a critical incident stress debriefing team at your workplace. Whatever it may be, being proactive and addressing the issue now not only allows all involved to better deal with critical incident stress, it can provide a template for any future instances where critical incident stress must be dealt with. Which in turn allows for better performance in your role as a trained caregiver.

After all, we're there to help make a bad situation better. That doesn't stop when the cot is loaded and the ambulance is gone.

Beef
10/2/2007, 10:23 AM
Sorry, brat. Heart problems are teh suck.

OUDoc
10/2/2007, 10:26 AM
Aortic dissection- there was NOTHING you or your co-workers could have done differently.
NOTHING.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2007, 10:28 AM
fine. whoever needs to make the call will be able to find it easier. Sorry I included EMS/fire.
That's why the FART part is critical. Covers all the bases.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/2/2007, 10:33 AM

Didn't mean to sound snippy or officious, Brat. After lookin' at the post, I can see how that might've been inferred.

Had we the policy and had we immunity from HIPAA, I'd guarantee we'd make every effort AFTER the transfer of care to contact whoever needed the phone call. It's what we try our hardest to do as firefighters, and that's take care of the folks we've sworn to serve. The point of the post was to inform, so that when Lil' Suzy gets in that car wreck or Lil' Johnny gets belted over the head, the next of kin aren't looking at a cell phone, seeing ICE exactly where it needs to be in the contacts list, and wondering why in God's creation did the incident happen three hours ago and those stupid firemen never called the ICE number.

It's more that we can't, not that we won't.

My sincerest apologies if it was misunderstood. I just don't want folks thinking one thing and when another happens, thinking we failed as first responders when in all actuality, we were busting our hump within the scope of our duties to make sure the victim or victims involved receive the best possible care they can.

sanantoniosooner
10/2/2007, 10:47 AM
I think the concept of an ICE number pertains more to good samaritans than emergency people.