PDA

View Full Version : The BCS title game will host two 1 loss teams

8timechamps
10/1/2007, 10:59 AM
Think about it. We probably had the best chance to go undefeated. Look at the current top ten:

LSU - Still has a tough SEC schedule, and the SEC championship game.
USC - Possibly the most likely undefeated team. But looked very beatable vs. Washington.
Cal - Survivor of USC/Cal game could be the only undefeated. Still don't think either one will go without a loss.
Ohio State - Overrated. I think even Buckeye fans know they will not make it through unscathed.
Wisconsin - See Ohio State.
South Florida - This team scares me a little. Could be for real, or could lose 2 or 3 "winnable" games.
Boston College - Top of a weak ACC. Will lose at least one.
Kentucky-Kind of cool that they are ranked so high. But the clock will strike midnight when they face tougher SEC teams.
Florida - Will drop one more SEC game (possibly to LSU).
Oklahoma (the GOOD guys) - The team that played CU won't show up again this year. We'll beat Texas and need help from some other teams to get in.

r5TPsooner
10/1/2007, 11:05 AM
I tend to look on the positive side and I agree with you. LSU is a very good team but will lose once. Ohio State is not that great and will eventually lose. Wisconsin will lose on the road somewhere. BC is BC. Kentucky is a basketball school. South Florida is good but will wilt under there new found pressure cooker of media darling.

USC or Cal loses leaving one of them undefeated but both could still lose a road game.

This is a must win game for OU in Dallas IMHO.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 11:09 AM
forget the national championship game. if we lose this weekend, we are 0-2 in the big xii...and the dreaded aggies (either one of them) will be in first place. our season starts or ends saturday.

elderlysooner
10/1/2007, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't be real shocked if the NC game pitted Stoops against Spurrier.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 11:11 AM
what have you guys seen that suggests we can get to a national championship game???

sooneron
10/1/2007, 11:20 AM
what have you guys seen that suggests we can get to a national championship game???
A pretty favorable schedule. It won't be as easy as we thought a week ago, but that's why you play the games. Plus, we lost fairly early on the road on a last second FG with some uncharacteristic play.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 11:26 AM
i agree, the schedule is favorable. i meant more like play on the field...coaching adjustments...etc.

OUmillenium
10/1/2007, 11:36 AM
coaching adjustments? They are not needed, just ask Brent Venables.

wishbonesooner
10/1/2007, 11:37 AM
But our loss looks worse. Colorado is not a great team.

mojohornfan
10/1/2007, 11:41 AM
I'm pulling for 8 teams at the top having one loss. Then the BCS will implode and maybe someone can do something about this screwed up system.

tbl
10/1/2007, 11:51 AM
A pretty favorable schedule. It won't be as easy as we thought a week ago, but that's why you play the games. Plus, we lost fairly early on the road on a last second FG with some uncharacteristic play.
Exactly. Win out, and we've got a shot (provided the 1 loss scenario's above play out). Plus, what happens if CU runs the table in the rest of their schedule? Then the loss doesn't look so bad... I doubt that'll happen, but you never know.

Dan Thompson
10/1/2007, 01:29 PM
This weekend odds are:
4. Ohio State @ +6
5. Wisconsin @ -3
6. South Florida @ +15
7. Boston College @ +19
8. Kentucky @ -3.5
9. Florida @ -8
10. OU @ +10

We need to just keep winning.

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 01:46 PM
While I think (or hope?) that we will win the rest of our games, I don't think we'll make it to the MNC. Conference perception has a lot to do with that. If we win out the rest of our games, we'll most likely be in the top 4 ranking, but if an LSU or USC-type team only has 1 loss, they'll get in ahead of us based on conference reputation.

Even if LSU loses this weekend and we rout Texas, we'll still be behind both Florida and LSU in the polls. Looking back on the 2003/2004 MNC where most of the media decided we shouldn't have made it in, but the computers said otherwise, they re-arranged the entire BCS formula so that "mistake" wouldn't happen again. I'm eternally hopeful, but not optimistic about us getting in. I think our only chance is to destroy every team from here on out. And I'm all for that! :)

soonermeteor
10/1/2007, 02:28 PM
Take it one game at a time guys. Who knows, maybe we needed a shock to get the team into gear for the future. Better its out of the way now then at the end of the season in a bowl :rolleyes: .

Last year taught me its never over. Let's see what this year brings.

soonerlaw
10/1/2007, 04:54 PM
We have a good shot. Texas is ranked (for now). Mizzou will likely be undefeated when they come to town. Tech will probably we ranked and it is an away game. Then the Big 12 North looks like they could put a solid team in the Championship. We run the table and some of these other teams have some late losses and we are right back in the mix.

IMO, this team is still probably a year from dominating, but if not the MNC this year, the Big 12 C/ship and a BSC bowl is very possible.

8timechamps
10/2/2007, 09:46 PM

I never said WE were going to be in the national title game, just that there will probably be two one-loss teams.

HOWEVER, if itcomes down to five or six one-loss teams, we have as good a shot at anyone. We lost early, and will play several ranked team on the way. The key is winning the remaining games.

MojoRisen
10/2/2007, 10:04 PM
We win out and I do believe that we have a very good chance to play for it all.

We got tight down the strecth and I think we can get that out of our system early this year.

My only complaint on coaching is that maybe we over coach sometimes - other than that- the Turn Overs cost us - and the one bad call that really should not have been over turned.

brown town sooner
10/2/2007, 10:18 PM
Let's be honest guys....it's going to take a hell of a lot of luck for us to get into the NC. You're talking about 9 other teams that are ahead of us in the polls right now. Texass is only ranked #19 and are sinking like the Titanic. The best thing that could happen would be for us to win out and win big and exact some revenge on Colorado in the Big 12 title game. Even with that we've got to hope that an LSU and an USC or Cal lose at least once or twice along the way. Everyone in the world is fawning over the SEC and Pac-10 and if the Big 12 wants to get a piece of the pie it's going to take some miracle work.

Vegas Vic
10/3/2007, 01:12 AM
If OU is one of several one-loss teams, the computer ratings are going to be very problematic, and they count 1/3 of the total score in the current BCS system. Right now, in the Sagarin ELO rankings (which are used for the BCS), OU is 38th. In the old system (where margin of victory was factored in), OU is 1st.

The loss to Colorado and the horrible ratings of Utah State and North Texas (who are getting obliterated by everyone) are going to be difficult to overcome to get back into the top two spots, even if there are no undefeated teams.

Crucifax Autumn
10/3/2007, 01:39 AM
I'd just have to say that right now we have to just win game by game, one week at a time.

That said, I think based on what I've seen from the other teams in the hunt, combined with schedule and the fact that WE ARE SOONERS, we have a fairly good shot as long as our guys do what they have to do.

And if that happens...we have a chance at being in the title game the next several years.

BOOMER-MOTHER****IN-SOONER!

CitySooner
10/3/2007, 08:50 AM
The problem for the Sooners is the love fest these stupid biased voters have for the Pac Ten and Southeast conferences along with Ohio State. A one loss USC or LSU will absolutely get in if not both of them over OU. And don't forget Ohio State. They could easily run the table in the always overrated Big Eleven. If the mighty Crimson can take care of business we will remain in the hunt, but the above metnioned teams will have to stumble probably more than once for us to have a shot.

FaninAma
10/3/2007, 08:59 AM
The problem for the Sooners is the love fest these stupid biased voters have for the Pac Ten and Southeast conferences along with Ohio State. A one loss USC or LSU will absolutely get in if not both of them over OU. And don't forget Ohio State. They could easily run the table in the always overrated Big Eleven. If the mighty Crimson can take care of business we will remain in the hunt, but the above metnioned teams will have to stumble probably more than once for us to have a shot.

The Sooners haven't done anything since the Big 12 CCG of 2003 to earn any love from the media and voters. Their win over Texas in 2004 is the last win of any significance. Once they start beating teams they are supposed to beat as well as beating teams of equal talent then the media and voters will come around.

In fact, I think the voters, considering OU's record since the above referenced time frame, have been overly generous to the program.

8timechamps
10/3/2007, 10:24 AM
I do think we can win out. Everything else will take care of itself. If we win out, and end up playing in the Fiesta Bowl, that's okay too. Sure, it's not a national title shot, but it's not a bad place to end up.

Don't forget Florida last year though. They lost to a very average Auburn team early, and fought their way back. I think CU is better than people think, and could very well end up in the Big XII title game. Then we could get revenge.