PDA

View Full Version : OK,so Who is Better Than Bob?

stoopified
10/1/2007, 08:30 AM
There are a lot of people here who are harping on coaching ,not just in this game but also in recent losses.My question to you is IF n your opinion Bob and his staff are NOT doing the job,who should replace him?As for those who are critical of the assistant coaches tat is Bob's call and I trust his judgement in running his staff far more then I do any so-called media or fan EXPERTS.

If anyone out there can coach better or suggest a coach who can do a better job,step forward.All the experts on TV are commenting on football BECAUSE they can no longer COCH-(Bowden,Holtz,Davies,Donnan,R.C. Slocum) or they have NEVER coached(Trev,May,Fowler,Hrbstreit)BUT even they know Bob is one of the VERY best.

Anybody who thinks Bob needs to go or can't properly run his staff is CLUELESS.

Soonrboy
10/1/2007, 08:33 AM
Jehovah

OKLA21FAN
10/1/2007, 08:34 AM
chuck norris

:pop:

BornandBred
10/1/2007, 08:37 AM
I'm pretty good on the playstation...

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone really wants to replace bobby. Everybody is just ****ed. Venting and yelling are typical results. Bob Stoops is the MAN. If he decides something, I'll support it. My support isn't unconditional though. I reserve the right to question some decisions in hindsight. The reason I love the man is because the decisions I question are very few and far between. Stoops is still my man crush.

batonrougesooner
10/1/2007, 08:41 AM
Do I really have to name them?

Howard Schenllenbourbon
John Blake
Gary Gibbs

Sooner in Tampa
10/1/2007, 08:41 AM
I think ANY fan calling for Bob's job should get shoe whipped!!

We lost one FREAKIN GAME...damn, it is getting very whornish around here lately.

Let's put it in perspective here...just think back to the decade we no longer speak of and our beloved head coach Boo.

RedGiant
10/1/2007, 08:48 AM
Everyone thought Lloyd Carr was one of the best for a long time too. Turns out he was just coaching in the big 10. Look you can live in 2000 all you want. The fact of the matter is that these coordinators he seems so enamored with are not getting the job done and he's simply puzzled or doesn't care that any team willing to hit back makes them quit, turn timid, or gutless. BJW needs to be freakin' fired NOW. If any one of us performed as badly as he has we'd already been gone. Fielding a secondary that is continually torched for big losses is unacceptable. And either help Vulnerables put together a game plan or demote him and hire Mike back after he's canned at Zona. Brent is in over his head.

Wilson and Venables start babbling on about Colorado not doing what they thought they would and how it upset their delicately prepared game plans. DUUUHHRRR, DUHHHRRRRR, DUHHHHHRRRRR, no kidding guys, well s**t, and all I thought coaches were supposed to do was yell at people and collect pay checks. Hell I didn't know they were supposed to adapt, overcome, and improvise. Sometimes, on the fly. I've been watching OU football for the last 4 years and all I thought you were supposed to do was run the same damn thing over and over and hope your opponents were incompetent enough to lose! You mean you have to try something NEW sometimes!! That's novel I tells ya.

He knows how to run his staff all right, he's got a lot of friends on the OU tit that seem to be able to put together teams that can beat up on somebody as long as they don't fight back. And if you think ANY coach is untouchable then you are the one that is clueless and getting taken for a ride champ.

Sooner in Tampa
10/1/2007, 08:56 AM
He knows how to run his staff all right, he's got a lot of friends on the OU tit that seem to be able to put together teams that can beat up on somebody as long as they don't fight back. And if you think ANY coach is untouchable then you are the one that is clueless and getting taken for a ride champ.:rolleyes: yeah, that's it richardhead

We ONLY beat teams that don't fight back

**** off dip ****

RedGiant
10/1/2007, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes: yeah, that's it richardhead

We ONLY beat teams that don't fight back

**** off dip ****
The truth is excruciatingly painful sometimes isn't it s**t stain?

Blues1
10/1/2007, 09:03 AM
I have Not READ every Thread on this board --- But I have yet to see a thread where someone is calling for Bob Stoops to be fired....???? --- IF you are referring to me and My thread "New Training Film"...?? - Then I maybe I'm guilty for having a opinion on why we Lost the Colorado game - But in NO way do I suggest we Fire anyone -- Just Hoping we all Learn from this Loss - Because we were The Better Team in Boulder...

I will say I think that IF Barry was Coaching on the Sidelines in Boulder I think there's very good chance we would have come home with a Win - But we will never know...?? - Thats just speculation on my part....Hang a Have Hundred before half time does seem to have some merit.....JMHO

Still R'

usmc-sooner
10/1/2007, 09:09 AM
I haven't seen anyone on here calling for Bob's job. I've seen a few knee jerk reactions to KW,BV and BJW.
I have seen people frustrated with the loss venting about game plan. Which is valid. I have seen people vent about the cover 2 zone we run, which is valid. I have seen people gripe about play calls on offense lack of execution.

Everyone knows what Barry said, it's not the alignment but the alignees, yet there is no doubt a good coach does wonders for a program.

What I hate is when we get these stupid threads over and over, ones like this so who is better than Bob? or Attention coach haters. Which would make the person who just hits these board every so often think that their is mass call on Bob's job by Soonerfans.

Do a poll the only one person who would vote to remove Bob is probably Nick. That's what makes OU great is our high expectations and our desire to win a games. You think it's bad that people bitch about losing be an OSU fan where 7-6 is great, or Purdue where they hope to make it to any Bowl game, go to East Central Universities Boards (if they have one) I bet there are crickets chirping.
Some of you guys act like you see some insignificant **** ant on a message board who criticizes and you feel like you have to spring into action to take up for Bob on the internet.
Guys Bob makes 4 million a year, he' one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the game today, he could give a **** who criticizes him on the internet.

Lastly get some perspective, people complain all the time about the President of the United States and that's treated like our God given right, people every week are calling for the band guy to be fired, but by Gawd don't even think to say maybe that wasn't the best game plan. Nobody wants to see Bob fired. Please quit making Sooner fans look like were calling for heads, when the only person to do so is banned and that is Nick.

fossil
10/1/2007, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=RedGiant] The fact of the matter is that these coordinators he seems so enamored with are not getting the job done and he's simply puzzled or doesn't care that any team willing to hit back makes them quit, turn timid, or gutless.
QUOTE]
Hmmmmm......BIG XII champs last year, one loss this year and the coodinators aren't getting the job done? Dude, you seriously need to back off of the red bull and whatever else you're drinking. They have to be perfect to be 'getting it done'? Puhleeze!!

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 09:10 AM
I don't think it's Bob's head everyone's after. I think we could consider replacing some less-than-effective assistants (or at least limit them to what they're good at), but we all know Bob's the Man.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 09:14 AM
If you read carefully I said or don't trust Bob to run his own staff.I guess I have read more threads during this VENTING time because I have read several comments that Bob is done,or Joe C. needs to get out his short list,even one idiot who claims he knows more about coaching than Bob does.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 09:18 AM
I don't think it's Bob's head everyone's after. I think we could consider replacing some less-than-effective assistants (or at least limit them to what they're good at), but we all know Bob's the Man.So you are saying that FANS know more about who Bob should have as his coaches?I don't think so.As I stated above I trust Bob to run OUr team and OUr staff.

If we do NEED to replace assistants,who do we replace,and with whom?

usmc-sooner
10/1/2007, 09:25 AM
If you read carefully I said or don't trust Bob to run his own staff.I guess I have read more threads during this VENTING time because I have read several comments that Bob is done,or Joe C. needs to get out his short list,even one idiot who claims he knows more about coaching than Bob does.

Do you ever stop and think, that this is a message board. The game plan was bad it was one of the few that Bob has.

Quit posting crap that makes us all look like bunch of fire Bob Stoops idiots. Just have enough common sense to know that coaching comes with criticism, and that anyone wanting to fire Stoops or compare him to Carr are probably not OU fans. They are a fan of another school trying to get us to post this crap or respond to it. Then all they do is post on other boards, hey look Sooner fans are calling for Stoops head, check out this link.

usmc-sooner
10/1/2007, 09:29 AM
So you are saying that FANS know more about who Bob should have as his coaches?I don't think so.As I stated above I trust Bob to run OUr team and OUr staff.

If we do NEED to replace assistants,who do we replace,and with whom?

So are you saying citizens know more about running the country, than Bill Clinton or George Bush? Should changes be made in our war against terror? Do you hate America if you question Clinton or Bush? It's called an opinion, people have them, and about a lot more difficult and more important things than football.

and my Gawd do fans know more than John Blake, Gerry Faust, Dennis Francione

Sooner in Tampa
10/1/2007, 09:34 AM
The truth is excruciatingly painful sometimes isn't it s**t stain?:rolleyes:

FaninAma
10/1/2007, 09:37 AM
I think if Bob has any faults it's the fact that he is slow to adjust and this is reflected in his assistant coaches' performances during the games(short time frame) as well as the way his team approaches games on the road over a longer time frame.

It seems that the maority of road games OU plays comes down to the final minutes and the final drive of the game. That trend almost insures you're going to lose a significant percentage of them.

And it seems that the OU coaching staff is slow to adjust to what opponents are doing during the game time.

Bob is a good to great coach. He is still relatively young and I think he will develop the ability to adjust his philosophies when warranted.

Sooner in Tampa
10/1/2007, 09:40 AM
I will say I think that IF Barry was Coaching on the Sidelines in Boulder I think there's very good chance we would have come home with a Win - But we will never know...?? - Thats just speculation on my part....Hang a Have Hundred before half time does seem to have some merit.....JMHO

Still R'I agree, I just wish we could do that every week.

OUmillenium
10/1/2007, 09:49 AM
1. Jesus
2.?????

usmc-sooner
10/1/2007, 09:51 AM
The truth is excruciatingly painful sometimes isn't it s**t stain?

I'd almost be willing to pay for your flight to Florida, to watch you say that, to my fellow Marine. I don't think it would be pretty.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 10:00 AM
1. Jesus
2.?????
Could be wrong but I don't think Jesus has any football coaching experience.I though given the context of the message you would understand I was talking about coaches.As SAVIOURS go,JESUS IS KING,end of debate.

kevpks
10/1/2007, 10:07 AM
Everyone thought Lloyd Carr was one of the best for a long time too. Turns out he was just coaching in the big 10. Look you can live in 2000 all you want. The fact of the matter is that these coordinators he seems so enamored with are not getting the job done and he's simply puzzled or doesn't care that any team willing to hit back makes them quit, turn timid, or gutless. BJW needs to be freakin' fired NOW. If any one of us performed as badly as he has we'd already been gone. Fielding a secondary that is continually torched for big losses is unacceptable. And either help Vulnerables put together a game plan or demote him and hire Mike back after he's canned at Zona. Brent is in over his head.

Wilson and Venables start babbling on about Colorado not doing what they thought they would and how it upset their delicately prepared game plans. DUUUHHRRR, DUHHHRRRRR, DUHHHHHRRRRR, no kidding guys, well s**t, and all I thought coaches were supposed to do was yell at people and collect pay checks. Hell I didn't know they were supposed to adapt, overcome, and improvise. Sometimes, on the fly. I've been watching OU football for the last 4 years and all I thought you were supposed to do was run the same damn thing over and over and hope your opponents were incompetent enough to lose! You mean you have to try something NEW sometimes!! That's novel I tells ya.

He knows how to run his staff all right, he's got a lot of friends on the OU tit that seem to be able to put together teams that can beat up on somebody as long as they don't fight back. And if you think ANY coach is untouchable then you are the one that is clueless and getting taken for a ride champ.

Confernce titles should not be dismissed as you seem to do in this post. Some of the greatest coaches in CFB history only have one or a few national titles. Just look around college football today and you'll see what I mean:

Carroll: two (or one depending on how you look at it)
Tressel: one
Stoops: one
Mack Brown: one (and only one conference title I might add)
Saban: one
Spurrier: one

I guess these guys all underachieve too. I don't know about you guys, but I will continue to appreciate the 2000 title and numerous conference titles and be very optimistic for the future.

TXBOOMER
10/1/2007, 10:31 AM
Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC

Damn The King was good. I doubt we'll ever see another like this.

MamaMia
10/1/2007, 10:32 AM
I don't want any coach replaced. I would like to have Bobby Jack Wright be the 'Head Recruiting Coach' and any of a number of people hired to teach the players how to defend against the pass. Chris Ball or even Kevin Sempka would be an improvement.

kevpks
10/1/2007, 10:36 AM

Damn The King was good. I doubt we'll ever see another like this.

This begs the question: Is it tougher to win a national title in the BCS era? I am leaning towards yes because you were more likely to face an inferior bowl opponent as a National Title contender.

kevpks
10/1/2007, 10:39 AM
I don't want any coach replaced. I would like to have Bobby Jack Wright be the 'Head Recruiting Coach' and any of a number of people hired to teach the players how to defend against the pass. Chris Ball or even Kevin Sempka would be an improvement.

How about Mark Stoops? If Mike gets fired (although I hope he doesn't), Mark would be available. He coached some great DBs at Miami.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 10:48 AM
Finally someone gives a name.Thank you MM.The problem with that is for Bobby to be recruiting co-ordinator he has be an on field coach.The NCAA eliminated the administrative recruiting coordinator a few years ago.I think (but am unable to confirm it),that Wright IS the current recruiting co-ord.

Who are Ball and Sempka?Where and what is their coaching background?

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 11:14 AM
I've been watching OU football for the last 4 years
I'm not surprised.

Go be a USC fan, johnnycomelately. You'll feel more at home there.

Flagstaffsooner
10/1/2007, 11:25 AM
The Hunchbelly of Notre Dame is clearly the best coach in all of footballdom.;)

OU Adonis
10/1/2007, 11:31 AM
This begs the question: Is it tougher to win a national title in the BCS era? I am leaning towards yes because you were more likely to face an inferior bowl opponent as a National Title contender.

Its actually easier in my opinion.

Because if you get an inferior opponent and your ranked lets say 2nd in the nation, you will not win the championship.

This way you don't have to worry about beating someone by X amount of points and the #1 team only winning by 10 poinds.

Its much easier now to win the championship.

MamaMia
10/1/2007, 12:00 PM
Finally someone gives a name.Thank you MM.The problem with that is for Bobby to be recruiting co-ordinator he has be an on field coach.The NCAA eliminated the administrative recruiting coordinator a few years ago.I think (but am unable to confirm it),that Wright IS the current recruiting co-ord.

Who are Ball and Sempka?Where and what is their coaching background?
Your welcome. :O

Too bad about the NCAA rule because Bobby Jack is a master recruiter, but there will be no National Championship if we cant defend against the pass on a consistent basis.

Oh, I just threw out the names of Ball and Lempka. *sorry for the typo :D... from the top of my head. If I were in charge of actually hiring someone, I would give it much more thought and do some research first but Chris Ball is the Secondary Coach at Pittsburgh now, and Lempka is in his first season as the secondary coach with the Maryland Terrapins. When they were recently hired, I just remembered wishing that we could have a go at them; maybe out of my feelings of desperation. :P I have mixed feelings though, because Kevin is a great recruiter, especially in Texas, and I would hate to be without him for that reason. :)

stoopified
10/1/2007, 12:13 PM
Don't worry about the TYPPO :) .I ain't with the spelling,grammar and puntcuation police.In their eyes I am a MAJOR offender.Thanks for the info.A lot of people complain but don't offer solutions or candidates to solve problems..

FirstandGoal
10/1/2007, 02:55 PM
Hell I didn't know they were supposed to adapt, overcome, and improvise. Sometimes, on the fly. I've been watching OU football for the last 4 years and all I thought you were supposed to do was run the same damn thing over and over and hope your opponents were incompetent enough to lose! You mean you have to try something NEW sometimes!! That's novel I tells ya.

Okay, now I have finally figured out what the problem is. Here is my advice and its not gonna cost you a thing...
Spend a decade or two watching OU football -- heck, any football program at all and maybe by then you will have more of an idea on what its all about.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2007, 03:02 PM
1. Jesus
2.?????

1a. Ditka.

Fixed.

GottaHavePride
10/1/2007, 03:03 PM
Oh, and if you call someone a **** stain, you're gonna take a bit of a vacation. Just so everyone's clear.

aurorasooner
10/1/2007, 03:03 PM

Damn The King was good. I doubt we'll ever see another like this. Have to agree with you here. The King had a talent of speaking to, schmoozing, and soothing the Sooner fans and the Sooner players at their level like no other coach after coughing up a game that everyone knew they shouldn't have lost. Switzer was an unbelievable PR coach.

Stoop Dawg
10/1/2007, 03:06 PM
What I hate is when we get these stupid threads over and over, ones like this so who is better than Bob? or Attention coach haters. Which would make the person who just hits these board every so often think that their is mass call on Bob's job by Soonerfans.

I agree with usmc-sooner.

And I *hate* agreeing with usmc-sooner.

I'm embarrassed that this thread title is on our board.