PDA

View Full Version : OU/CU Game Review

David Earl
10/1/2007, 06:15 AM
CU Game Review

Sometimes a team has a game where nothing goes right. Then there are those games that take it to the next level and everything completely goes wrong. OU’s game against CU was just such a game. The Sooners were obviously flat, especially on offense, from the outset.

I thought the playcalling on offense was suspect and a little in a rut, if you will. There was too much running on first and second down then throw on third and long. The run off tackle was decent, but not between the tackles. So it looks to me like you don’t keep calling that inside run. Perhaps more rollout passes and some misdirection or reverse. I’m not sure why we got conservative all of a sudden.

Bradford didn’t do all that bad, though he didn’t have a great game. He had trouble seeing that blitz the Buffs kept using and getting checked to the right play. It’s asking a lot of a freshman QB to make those very consistently. He never threw to Kelly and nobody seems to know why. In his defense, he had some passes right on target that were dropped. Sam played well enough for OU to win.

Patrick had some really nice runs. None of the other guys shook things up that much. Kudos to Pleasant, I think it was, who caught the FB pass and absolutely fought for a first down. Would that the entire offense had fought that hard in the game.

TE’s and WR’s had dropsies pretty bad. The TE passing game was there at times, but the guys didn’t consistently catch. It was really weird how low-energy their performance was.

The defense didn’t play that badly till they got wore out. Part of that is on the offense, but with our rotation, legs should have been more fresh. Perhaps they had an issue going on between the ears like the offense, whatever that issue was.

We got good pressure on blitzes and the front four gave chase pretty good. There was really good tackling, lots of gang tackling. The guys kept stripping the ball more than usual, even early in the game.

CU’s misdirection runs are what killed us. We did not have backside containment on that at all. It was over pursuit that reminded me of 2005.

The DL got good pressure in the passing game and played pretty well against the run till later in the game. Davis got heavy action in relief of Williams. He seemed to have a good game, coming back to tackle on short passes, shedding a block to tip a key pass. I’m not sure if he was the culprit that was out of position on those misdirection plays. Some of that is on the DE, but I never could figure out it was on any one player consistently.

Lofton and Reynolds were all over the place and hitting like a truck. They are excellent tacklers and great in the open field. Lofton dropped a potential INT and CU scored on the next play. There were a lot of little things like that, but they become huge when you look at the final score.

The DB’s were playing okay early, especially Wolfe. Kudos to him for 2 INT’s and great return skills. But as the game wore on we had some real coverage issues. It looked like Walker got burned on a late CU TD. However, as I often say, the coverage schemes are complicated enough that I’m not sure who was struggling. I will say I’ve never been completely sold on Coach BJW as a DB coach. I’m not seeing much to change my mind. Some fans are displeased with Venables as a DC. I think the D has gotten better and plays well for Brent. However, BJW seems to be a better DE coach than DB coach.

The DB’s do tackle really well and are great in run support. Lendy also dropped a potential INT, but is a solid tackler. You gotta give the guy credit there. Harris made a diving play to bat down a pass that was *this close* to being an INT. That’s the story of the game; a bunch of really close stuff that never seemed to click.

Punt/Kick coverage was a little rough, though the CU Kick return guy is a stud. I thought CU was getting by with a little blocking in the back on some of that, but nothing major.

Smith had a little more success returning punts until he had the late muffed punt. That killed us; that’s when I felt certain we’d lose. Iglesias had a bad idea on the one kick return that wound up being a touchback. When in doubt just take a knee. He did have a nice return later for about 25 or 30.

I’m not sure what conclusive evidence the replay refs saw to reverse JI’s late catch, but they put the ball on a plane, flew it to the west coast and gave it to Oregon. You could debate the thing, but not conclusively enough to overturn the call on the field. That was a backbreaker, but the Sooners should not have put themselves in that position to begin with.

Look back at it you people and you will see a lot of nearly and almost. You’ll also see a lot of sloppy and stuff so out of character that it’s creepy. The second half especially was so strange. We’re up 24-7 and everything keeps happening almost like we were destined to lose.

Whatever voodoo was in the air can certainly be shaken off. If this team takes the lessons to heart and pulls back together we’ve got a chance to win the conference. We still control our own destiny. Win out and you’re in the CCG. With a little help, we could even be in the title hunt, though that’s a stretch. The Horns lost too so next week should be interesting. Here’s to hoping we return to early season form. Boomer Sooner!

olevetonahill
10/1/2007, 06:51 AM
Once again Thanks .

toast
10/1/2007, 08:37 AM
I thought the playcalling on offense was suspect and a little in a rut, if you will. There was too much running on first and second down then throw on third and long. The run off tackle was decent, but not between the tackles. So it looks to me like you don’t keep calling that inside run. Perhaps more rollout passes and some misdirection or reverse. I’m not sure why we got conservative all of a sudden.

Bradford didn’t do all that bad, though he didn’t have a great game. He had trouble seeing that blitz the Buffs kept using and getting checked to the right play. It’s asking a lot of a freshman QB to make those very consistently. He never threw to Kelly and nobody seems to know why. In his defense, he had some passes right on target that were dropped. Sam played well enough for OU to win.

DE - your comments and then these quotes from Kevin Wilson, really make me question what was going through the coach's heads last week and Saturday in Boulder?

"You're preparing for other things, maybe expecting blitzes that they had done, maybe expecting different coverage looks that they had done," said OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. "And maybe as we're preparing for all that stuff, maybe some of that stuff didn't come to fruition.

"As a coach, you're preparing for things that you don't get, and it ends up being wasted preparation time."

helllooo, weekly adjustments are nothing new to college football KW. That's why you have to make adjustments during the game. Evidently, KW believes that teams should just stick to their game plan each and every week so that our coaches know exactly what they'll see.

This will be my one and only post about the CU game, I'm going to try and move forward to next Saturday.

BornandBred
10/1/2007, 08:47 AM
Somebody smarter than me answer this question please:
Was Ryan Renolds just getting abused in pass coverage or was he just swarming to the ball?

Everytime there was a 3rd and long, it seemed like the tackle was made by number 8, but for a 1st down. He is a great runstopper, but I'm unsure about his coverage skills. Somebody inform me please.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 08:51 AM
On his coach"s show Bob defended his D,saying that because of turnovers,3 and out's by the O the D had to play an inordinate amount of snaps in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.This lead to the fatigue and subseqent poor tackling late.BTW DE thanks for a solid analysis.

yermom
10/1/2007, 09:14 AM
yeah, i did not come away with too many concerns about the defense. they were tired. they were barely getting to rest

KW's comments are rather unnerving, however

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 09:14 AM
On his coach"s show Bob defended his D,saying that because of turnovers,3 and out's by the O the D had to play an inordinate amount of snaps in the late 3rd and 4th quarters.This lead to the fatigue and subseqent poor tackling late.BTW DE thanks for a solid analysis.

Yeah, but if the D plays halfway decent on 3rd AND 4th downs, they get off the field and the O gets more chances.

FaninAma
10/1/2007, 09:29 AM
In 04 everybody was blaming Pellini for the loose zone and porous secondary. I think we had some decent talent in that secondary, also.

I think it's clear that Pellini was not the responsible person.

oupride
10/1/2007, 09:30 AM
The defense played great. They were on the field the entire 2nd half it seemed. The offense did not help them. Merv Johnson said after the game that the offense seemed to loose their motivation when the score became 24-7. Stoops concurred in the post-game radio show. The offense didn't start the game having a good day at all really.

boomersooner82
10/1/2007, 09:31 AM

Did he say anything about not using our final timeout before the kick, so as to give us a chance of a big kick return?

Good review.

OUmillenium
10/1/2007, 09:53 AM
Great review, thanks man

MikeInNorman
10/1/2007, 10:54 AM
Somebody smarter than me answer this question please:
Was Ryan Renolds just getting abused in pass coverage or was he just swarming to the ball?

Everytime there was a 3rd and long, it seemed like the tackle was made by number 8, but for a 1st down. He is a great runstopper, but I'm unsure about his coverage skills. Somebody inform me please.

He was getting abused in pass coverage. This is not new. I hoped he was just getting his feet wet out there after not having played in two years, but CU threw right at him time after time. It's worse than Latimer was at this point.

Until Reynolds improves in coverage, we should play Baker on passing downs.

birddog
10/1/2007, 10:57 AM
Did he say anything about not using our final timeout before the kick, so as to give us a chance of a big kick return?

Good review.

he said he tohught about it but he didn't know if it would make that much of a difference.

i agree.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 11:24 AM
Very level headed, as usual, DE.

Is KW really as clueless as he made himself sound in that quote? Are we really that unable to adjust in-game?

Texas Golfer
10/1/2007, 11:31 AM
A lot of "blame" could go to coaches and skill position players but it could also go to the lines on both sides of the ball.

On offense, our OL got manhandled. There rarely was a significant hole for the RB to go through and Sam didn't have a lot of time to make the necessary reads. I think that may have contributed to not even throwing to MK one time all day.

On defense, their running backs were running wild making our LBs and DBs to make too many tackles. Going into the game, we were among the leaders in sacks and we could hardly put any pressure on Hawkins and he ate us alive.

sooneron
10/1/2007, 11:42 AM
On offense, our OL got manhandled. There rarely was a significant hole for the RB to go through and Sam didn't have a lot of time to make the necessary reads. I think that may have contributed to not even throwing to MK one time all day.

I think the OL, especially played like they were gassed. And isn't MK partially to blame for not finding a way to get open?

yermom
10/1/2007, 11:49 AM
he said he tohught about it but he didn't know if it would make that much of a difference.

i agree.

that kicker is pretty spotty though (he missed a closer one earlier in the game)

we should have pulled the "call the time out as he's kicking" trick ;)

sooneron
10/1/2007, 11:51 AM
that kicker is pretty spotty though (he missed a closer one earlier in the game)

Yeah, Stoops not calling TO, seemed like we conceded.

Pigface1
10/1/2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, but if the D plays halfway decent on 3rd AND 4th downs, they get off the field and the O gets more chances.

Exactly. Even early on in the game they're getting Colorado in 3rd an long and rarely blitzed. We just fell back into a prevent zone and gave their QB time to find an open man. Time and time again. I don't understand why you don't send a jailbreak or at least 6 guys in a third and long. That's football 101.

Desert Sapper
10/1/2007, 12:31 PM
Great review, DE. Sure wish it didn't look like we were running in slow motion in the second half. And wish the D would work on their hands. Should have been about 3 more picks in that game on Cody Hawkins. This felt a lot like the Oregon game.

Pricetag
10/1/2007, 12:45 PM

See, I thought that maybe they were trying some kind of reverse psychology thing, where maybe they would be expecting the time out, and then all the sudden when the play clock starts winding down under a few seconds, you think, "Oh ****, we're really going to do this!" It seems like it might be effective.

Regardless, you have to call that time out, immediately after the whistle blows on the previous play. You have to give yourself another chance with the ball, regardless of how little time it would have been.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 12:48 PM
Regarding the timeout calling prior to FG attempts:

I often wonder if NOT calling the TO is worth a bit too. Especially if you only have one TO left--then the kicker would KNOW that after the TO you have no more left. If you don't call it, the kicker has that in the back of his mind--'are they going to call TO?'.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, kind of what Tag said.

picasso
10/1/2007, 12:51 PM
He was getting abused in pass coverage. This is not new. I hoped he was just getting his feet wet out there after not having played in two years, but CU threw right at him time after time. It's worse than Latimer was at this point.

Until Reynolds improves in coverage, we should play Baker on passing downs.
he's been solid but he's obviously a step slower because of the knee.

sooneron
10/1/2007, 12:51 PM
Regarding the timeout calling prior to FG attempts:

I often wonder if NOT calling the TO is worth a bit too. Especially if you only have one TO left--then the kicker would KNOW that after the TO you have no more left. If you don't call it, the kicker has that in the back of his mind--'are they going to call TO?'.
I'm not sure I buy it. You make the kid stand out there as long as possible in front of his classmates/fans etc so he can think about the kick and a possible choke.

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure I buy it. You make the kid stand out there as long as possible in front of his classmates/fans etc so he can think about the kick and a possible choke.i agree ron. i like the strategy used by some NFL coaches...and urban meyer against auburn. wait until the ball is almost snapped, call timeout so he has to go through all his pre kick things, and think about it again....and make the kick 2 times in a row.

OKC-SLC
10/1/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure I buy it. You make the kid stand out there as long as possible in front of his classmates/fans etc so he can think about the kick and a possible choke.
Yeah, I certainly can see value in making him wait as long as possible.

sooneron
10/1/2007, 01:06 PM
i agree ron. i like the strategy used by some NFL coaches...and urban meyer against auburn. wait until the ball is almost snapped, call timeout so he has to go through all his pre kick things, and think about it again....and make the kick 2 times in a row.
See, now you're ok, because you completely agree with me.:D

boomersooner82
10/1/2007, 01:13 PM
Sorry, I've gotten this thread a little off topic. I just think you have to use the timeout after that third down play and give yourself another chance to score. You never know what you can come up with (see Oregon last year... despite the screw job, a big kickoff return gives us a chance for a game-winning FG).

If you have multiple timeouts, you can start to play mind games with the kicker. I've always wanted to see a coach with two or more timeouts, use one to ice the kicker, and then sit on the rest, with the hope that the kicker is expecting a second icing.

FirstandGoal
10/1/2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks so much DE for yet another great game analysis. :)

Whatever voodoo was in the air can certainly be shaken off. If this team takes the lessons to heart and pulls back together we’ve got a chance to win the conference. We still control our own destiny. Win out and you’re in the CCG. With a little help, we could even be in the title hunt, though that’s a stretch. The Horns lost too so next week should be interesting. Here’s to hoping we return to early season form. Boomer Sooner!Interesting that you mentioned the word voodoo-- at one point in time during the 4th my son turned to me and asked in all seriousness if it was possible Hawkins had some OU voodoo doll player hidden away and was sticking pins in it.

Weird, but we were playing as if that's what was going on.

MikeInNorman
10/1/2007, 04:00 PM
he's been solid but he's obviously a step slower because of the knee.

You know, it's funny, but during the North Texas game I thought Reynolds looked a little lost in coverage. That was quickly forgotten due to the rout. Sadly, I don't think it has gotten better. I said on this board that I thought TU would try to see if Reynolds was any better than Zack Latimer in pass coverage; they did, and he wasn't. I was not down on Reynolds, because BV seems to LOVE the kid, and just figured that he would get better as the season wore on. Figured he was a bit rusty from not seeing action for a couple of years. Unfortunately, CU went right at No.8, throwing in front of and behind his zone, with several flat passes to RBs on Reynolds' side after clearing the corner from coverage.

I hope, as you say, that this is because of the knee, since Reynolds has been solid against the run. He hits like a truck and has the LB attitude. But even though Reynolds seems to get blocked in the hole a lot, he is at least there; his knee doesn't seem to matter much then. We'll see I guess.