PDA

View Full Version : @ School Friday

CatfishSooner
10/1/2007, 02:18 AM
Why was the team still on campus Friday? I think they should have already been in CO getting aclimated to the altitude...
Probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but ????????????
F it! Lets beat the hell outta Texas!

yermom
10/1/2007, 02:40 AM
that does sound odd... when the heck would they have gotten there?

snp
10/1/2007, 02:54 AM
No, it wouldn't have mattered at all.

Shneeg11
10/1/2007, 06:29 AM
NFL teams get to Denver 24 hours before a game in order to get acclimated to the altitude.

I don't think that determined the outcome, but clearly there is something to the theory if NFL teams get there at least 24 hrs early.

Partial Qualifier
10/1/2007, 08:37 AM
Some teams get there TWO days early.

Anyone who's ever travelled from low altitude to high altitude and performed any kind of physical exertion once they got there knows it's real. Stoops' comments last week sounded like he totally puts no stock in it, like it's a big myth.

It could explain alot: sloppiness of play, being a step late deep into the game (when we're usually the ones a step ahead of the opponent), etc.

If they got up there on Friday evening expecting to not feel any effects while playing football the very next morning.. not bashing Stoops here but that's just dumb.

yermom
10/1/2007, 09:07 AM
what comments?

Partial Qualifier
10/1/2007, 09:22 AM
in his Tuesday presser, somebody asked him what he does to prepare the team for the high altitude. I can't remember his exact comments but he went fairly in-depth on his opinion, it was basically "we don't do anything special because I've never noticed anything different while playing up there"

And it might not be a big deal to a 20-year old guy in top physical shape.. and for all we know Stoops sandbags that answer and they're really taking altitude treatment pills all week ... who knows. But yea he prety much laughed off the notion that athletes should adjust to high altitude

Flagstaffsooner
10/1/2007, 10:28 AM
As someone who lives at a high altitude I can recomend 48 hrs and a high iron intake to acclumate.

CatfishSooner
10/1/2007, 11:08 AM
I really think 2 days is about right...

Crimson Blonde
10/1/2007, 11:12 AM
I tell ya what.... I spent a week in Big Bear, which granted is a higher altitude than Boulder, but I was sick for almost the whole week! I always thought I was in pretty good shape, but man, that kicked my butt! My boyfriend was from the area and he was fine. We would see Tito Ortiz running past our house every morning. Boyfriend said he trained up there before all his fights because of the altitude......

Just judging from my experience, it seems the team would need a little more time to acclimate. That actually kinda makes sense, cause I was so light headed for the first day and a half that I almost felt drunk..... Maybe that's how the players felt.... That's sure how they looked!;)

snp
10/1/2007, 12:45 PM
Spoke with a coach afterwards and he said the altitude didn't matter. Colorado having twice the amount of snaps mattered a lot more.

Petro-Sooner
10/1/2007, 12:53 PM
On the animal Friday Eshbach said talked to a guy that played under Wilkenson, I believe. Says when they played CU they went up on a Wednesday before hand.