PDA

View Full Version : SHAKE SATURDAY OFF, IT'S RRS TIME FOLKS!!!

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 10:27 PM
As disappointing as this week was for the so-called "powers-that-be" of the BIG 12, it is still a very important week. Win here, stay alive in the BCS talk (though barely on life support until more top 10'ers lose).

What is the latest on Colt McCoy? Don't get me wrong, I don't wish ill will on anyone, but it makes a huge difference playing McCoy over Chiles. Even when McCoy is shaken up, he still has a way of making some of the damnedest things happen. Chiles appears to be very green and not at all the VY clone the whorns proclaimed. IMHO, starting Chiles over McCoy is like starting Nichol over Bradford. Upside is one thing, but there's no substitute for maturity and accuracy.

Any more injury reports from down south? It appeared both K-State and texas were dropping like flies. Could have been humidity, but I thought I saw a few OL go out. Needless to say, I'm human and I hope they're alright. Just wondering for the X's and O's part of this event.

If there's one thing that will erase that game-winning FG for CU in my mind, well... help me get over it... is to go out there and play like OU plays again. Looking back on Saturday... that is truly one of the ugliest games I've seen since early-Rhomar. And the QB wasn't really playing bad.

AzianSooner
9/30/2007, 10:32 PM
I concur but I am not sure anymore.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 10:32 PM
In checking the local paper, I ran across this dated for tomorrows paper from Kirk Bohls.

Statesman.com - Dangerous OU lurking ahead (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/10/01/1001bohls.html)
Disregard Colorado loss as an exception

By Kirk Bohls
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Monday, October 01, 2007

Mondays can be blue enough without the prospect of a Texas smackdown by mega-rival Oklahoma looming in five days.

Wish we could help, but I'd recommend aspirin.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article.

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 10:40 PM
Wow... a decent Statesman article?

THAT KANE'T BE TRUE!!! [hairGel]

soonerloyal
10/1/2007, 09:39 AM
Dangerous OU lurking ahead
Disregard Colorado loss as an exception
By Kirk Bohls
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, October 01, 2007

Mondays can be blue enough without the prospect of a Texas smackdown by mega-rival Oklahoma looming in five days.

Wish we could help, but I'd recommend aspirin.

Here are three reasons to further worry your socks off if you're a Longhorns fan.

As if losing by 20 points to decided underdog Kansas State wasn't bad enough, the Longhorns don't just face a good 4-1 OU team in Dallas. They will go up against one that's good and angry, since the Sooners also lost Saturday, to Colorado. Sure, Texas should be angry as well but may be too polite.

The Texas offense wasn't exactly productive, rushing for just 113 yards and accounting for only one touchdown in its last 10 possessions against a very good Wildcats team. And Mack Brown won't know until today or Tuesday if quarterback Colt McCoy will even be available, after McCoy suffered a mild concussion.

The Longhorns gave up touchdowns every conceivable way on Saturday. One by interception. One by kickoff return. Another by punt return. The first time those three sins have been committed in one game by Texas. One via the pass. Another via the run. But none by sea.

Kansas State played a near perfect game to win 41-21, but Texas allowed it to happen. The Longhorns have not been impressive all season and still are without an identity.

Here's my advice: Don't for a second think OU wasn't too good to start.

"We started off the game 24-7 and played pretty well," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said on Sunday. "We didn't make plays down the stretch. When we played (and dominated) Miami, you people wanted to act like it was nothing. Was it nothing?"

Absolutely not. It was, uh, something. Those four lopsided non-conference wins gave a pretty good glimpse of the Sooners' potential. An accurate one, too.

Consider what's likely the real truth: The Sooners, who fell to 10th in the Associated Press poll Sunday, played like a legitimate national championship contender for 41/2 games.

Then they stunk it up against the Buffaloes in the second half and lost 27-24 on Kevin Eberhart's career-long 45-yard field goal, marking the fourth time in OU's last five defeats that came on the game's final play.

Texas has played like a Top 10 team for one half — against a TCU team not as good as anticipated — and an entire game against still-winless Rice.

That doesn't bode well, even if Colorado did total 219 of its 381 yards in the second half at the same time it was holding OU to 56 yards and three first downs, with what Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said was a "vanilla" defense. OU expected something more and was caught unprepared by a scheme that took away the deep ball and the perimeter running game.

The Buffaloes showed the Sooners can be beaten by a physical team that can pound the ball. Colorado ran the ball a staggering 46 times for 161 yards. That should be comforting news to Texas, except the Longhorns haven't been physical on offense since 2005.

Even when it scored at KSU's goal-line on Vondrell McGee's 1-yard option pitch, Texas had to go outside after failing to dent a good Kansas State defensive front in three tries. Third-and-2 qualifies as a passing down in Austin.

OU blamed its lapses on breakdowns from experienced players more than mental focus, but Wilson declined to point the finger at young quarterback Sam Bradford. The redshirt freshman had at least four drops, completed just eight passes overall and suffered the same number of interceptions (two) as he had in his first four games.

"I'm not very critical of the quarterback's play," Wilson said. "It wasn't like he wasn't prepared or made poor decisions. His game? It was OK."

But should one judge OU by its first four games, when it averaged more than 61 points and almost 600 yards a game, or by Saturday's subpar performance, when Malcolm Kelly didn't catch a pass and the Sooners converted one of nine third downs and had the ball for almost 18 fewer minutes than the Buffaloes?

"We didn't play good one game," Wilson said succinctly.

One bad game. With another game coming soon.

As I said, expect an OU team that's good and angry — a very bad combination for the Longhorns.

:cool:

r5TPsooner
10/1/2007, 11:00 AM
Good read, thanx.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 11:02 AM
I think he is right but only Saturday will prove it.

landrun
10/1/2007, 11:59 AM
Then they stunk it up against the Buffaloes in the second half and lost 27-24 on Kevin Eberhart's career-long 45-yard field goal, marking the fourth time in OU's last five defeats that came on the game's final play.

I didn't realize that.... :cool:

ruf/nekdad
10/1/2007, 12:43 PM
I'm girding my loins now!

Well, STOP THAT! It'll make you go blind.

:cool:

ougrad2008
10/1/2007, 12:47 PM
good article. i just hope the team comes out ready to smash them, rather than in shock still from boulder. BOOOOOOOMER!!!