PDA

View Full Version : Yikes: The Coach Fran Mess

Jay C. Upchurch
9/30/2007, 09:47 PM
story link about A&M Coach Franchione's latest dealings....

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10381361

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 09:50 PM
I hope we top 77 on those children this year.

badger
9/30/2007, 09:56 PM
If they fire him for something like this, do they still have to pay out his contract, or is there some stipulation in the contract that they don't have to pay him?

STORY IDEA FOR SPECTATOR: Open records his a$$ and find out... oh wait, maybe that's more for an A&M paper. I'd still like to know, though. HEY COLLEGE STATION! If you want Fran fired, find out a way to make it happen! Otherwise, stop b!tching, because you're stuck paying him for another 10 years whether he coaches or not!

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 10:01 PM
Someone may have leaked it for that purpose, I bet there is some language in his contract that something like this could be a violation. It probably was a disgruntled aTm fan who got tired of the Fran mess and leaked the existence of the newsletter.

OKC-SLC
9/30/2007, 10:03 PM
What an amazing punk he is.

I think he's through. Seriously. I can't see him surviving this season for a host of reasons. And if/when he's fired, I can't imagine any program worth a hoot hiring him.

ric311
9/30/2007, 10:11 PM
It's too bad we'll probably never know exactly what information he was selling. The column says "inside info" on stuff like injuries and recruiting. If he's giving out specific info on specific players lilke "The starting MLB probably won't play this week because of a twisted knee" then he's toast. If he's giving out more general stuff like "we are banged up on the defensive side of the ball and will have to make some adjustments there", then I think he's OK. Same with the recruiting info. If it's specific names, then he's got big problems because that's an NCAA violation. I'd like to see one of these memos and see what kind of info he was selling.

badger
9/30/2007, 10:13 PM
What an amazing punk he is.

I think he's through. Seriously. I can't see him surviving this season for a host of reasons. And if/when he's fired, I can't imagine any program worth a hoot hiring him.
that's what they said about Mike "Roll Tide Roll It's Rolling Baby!" Price :rolleyes:

OUinFLA
9/30/2007, 10:19 PM
heh,
as I was looking at texags.com football forum page,
I noticed the ads at the bottom.

Did you know there was an ad for "Sooners Ringtones"?

:D

badger
9/30/2007, 10:27 PM
heh,
as I was looking at texags.com football forum page,
I noticed the ads at the bottom.

Did you know there was an ad for "Sooners Ringtones"?

:D
well, i guess that answers yet another frequently asked question! ;)

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 10:27 PM
I think Fran is one of those guys who is a great coach for an underdog program but just doesn't have "IT" for a big time program. There are some who can handle the big stage and those who prefer the side stage, he is a side stage kind of guy even though his ambitions were always big stage.

OKC-SLC
9/30/2007, 10:38 PM
that's what they said about Mike "Roll Tide Roll It's Rolling Baby!" Price :rolleyes:
The difference here is that Fran's doings are directly related to his management of the football program.

Mike Price, while an incredible azz, to our knowledge is a clean runner of a football program.

royalfan5
9/30/2007, 10:58 PM
Wow, you're giving UTEP a lot of credit there. I wouldn't call it a marquee job.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 11:02 PM
Yep, UTEP beat the powerhouse that is SMU in overtime last night 48-45.

KaiserSooner
9/30/2007, 11:10 PM
According to Mark Rodgers (via "Big 12 sources") on KOCO tonight, Fran could be fired as early as tomorrow.

tommieharris91
9/30/2007, 11:13 PM
According to Mark Rodgers (via "Big 12 sources") on KOCO tonight, Fran could be fired as early as tomorrow.

That sux. I kinda wanted to embarass them again.

SCOUT
9/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Fran will forever be etched in my mind with an assistant handing him the zip lock bag with a towel in it during the 77-0 game. I don't think there has ever been a more primadonna moment in NCAA history.

Suerreal
9/30/2007, 11:34 PM
If they fire him for something like this, do they still have to pay out his contract, or is there some stipulation in the contract that they don't have to pay him?

Stories I've read said that the fact that Byrne was not aware of the newsletter would be ground for termination without paying out his contract.

Sooner Eclipse
9/30/2007, 11:42 PM
One of the A&M boosters he was selling this info to decided that Fran needed to go and this is the best way to get him out without paying off his contract.

CFB karma is a bitch sometimes.

His snarky little comments about OU and our problems were getting old. Glad for A&M that he's going but enjoyed watching OU beat him every year. :D

Soonerfan88
9/30/2007, 11:44 PM
Most contracts have an ethics/NCAA violations clause in them. This would allow aTm to fire the idiot without owing him a dime. Has been said the buyout would have been $10M at the end of the year, not sure if there is any additional for a mid-year separation.

Most rumors I hear are they will go after Tuberville. Anyone hear of other possible candidates?

crawfish
10/1/2007, 07:31 AM
You know, I'm kinda glad we hired Stoops over Franchione. :)

r5TPsooner
10/1/2007, 09:31 AM
The difference here is that Fran's doings are directly related to his management of the football program.

Mike Price, while an incredible azz, to our knowledge is a clean runner of a football program.

Mike Price like boobies, can't much fault him for that.:D

OklahomaTuba
10/1/2007, 09:40 AM
Everytime something like this comes out, I am more and more thankful that Bob Stoops is the HC of my Sooners.

Even when possibly more appealing jobs were offered to him, he stayed right here, coaching & leading some damn fine young men to championships.

Thank you Coach.

TMcGee86
10/1/2007, 11:34 AM
One of the sports animal hosts just said that he had a source tell him Fran will announce his resignation today.

Take that for what its worth.

TexasLidig8r
10/1/2007, 11:55 AM

STORY IDEA FOR SPECTATOR: Open records his a$$ and find out... oh wait, maybe that's more for an A&M paper. I'd still like to know, though. HEY COLLEGE STATION! If you want Fran fired, find out a way to make it happen! Otherwise, stop b!tching, because you're stuck paying him for another 10 years whether he coaches or not!

OHHH!!! Nicely done! I think I will send a Freedom of Information Request down to Colley Station... yes indeed... Time to stir it up with our barnyard lovin' little brothers!! :D :D :D