PDA

View Full Version : Is Balkanization still a bad word?

Suerreal
9/30/2007, 09:29 PM
And can it be made to work in Iraq?

As I understand, other than naïveté on the part of the US administration which would prefer to see a united democratic Iraq, the two major stumbling blocks to breaking up Iraq into smaller, mostly autonomous, more homogenous geographic districts are:
1. Sharing oil revenue, since oil fields are in the Southern, mainly Shiite areas, and the northern, mostly Kurdish areas, and not in the central, mostly Sunni areas.
2. Opposition to giving the Iraqi Kurds their own territory for fear of creating unrest among Kurdish people living in Turkey and Iran demanding their own territory to merge with the Iraqi Kurds to create a new Kurdistan (although Turkey & Iran would be perfectly happy for their Kurds to leave to move to Kurdish areas of Iraq.)
3. Filler item because a list should always have at least three items.

But I do believe these obstacles can be overcome. Why isn't this on the drawing board?

jeremy885
9/30/2007, 09:37 PM
Divided Iraq = failure in most peoples eyes, even though it would probably solve a lot of problems.

What about all of the people who would have to move (Sunnis in Kurdish areas, etc). This hasn't never really gone over well. See India-Pakistan for one of many examples.

OklahomaTuba
9/30/2007, 09:57 PM
But I do believe these obstacles can be overcome. Why isn't this on the drawing board?

It was, and the previous (and current) Iraqi government shelved the idea.

Its the Iraqis who want a unified nation, so they can all benefit from their huge reserves of oil. The Kurds even say as much and they are the ones with the massive oil fields and next to no violence.

Just gotta give it time, defeat AQ, get Iran out of there, and it will work. It already is working.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 11:17 PM
Is he still selling siding? I didn't know that is what they called it :D

SCOUT
9/30/2007, 11:24 PM
I think it is spelled vulcanization. Don't be embarrassed, I misspell words all the time. And no, hardening rubber, while funny, isn't a bad word.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2007, 12:13 AM

Just gotta give it time, defeat AQ, get Iran out of there, and it will work. It already is working.Don't quit your day job, and try to become a member of the media. You just failed a litmus test!

def_lazer_fc
10/1/2007, 01:17 AM
Just gotta give it time, defeat AQ, get Iran out of there, and it will work. It already is working.

why is it not hard to believe that tuba will be typing that exact sentence in 10 years? ;)