PDA

View Full Version : The most helpless feeling.....

kelloggOUballa
9/30/2007, 07:21 PM
I can't recall another OU game, off hand, where we were tied or up by less than 2 with the other team driving and setting up for a field goal with the clock running below 30 seconds. It is the most helpless feeling I've felt during a game though, where you know we won't get the ball back if they make the field goal. It happens all the time in the NFL, but I can't remember an OU game coming down to that in recent memory....

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 07:31 PM
Think how the Buckeyes felt when Von Schaman nailed "The Kick."

... sucks, but shart happens. Like the old saying goes, "don't get mad, get better."

proudsoonergal
9/30/2007, 07:35 PM
I can't recall another OU game, off hand, where we were tied or up by less than 2 with the other team driving and setting up for a field goal with the clock running below 30 seconds. It is the most helpless feeling I've felt during a game though, where you know we won't get the ball back if they make the field goal. It happens all the time in the NFL, but I can't remember an OU game coming down to that in recent memory....

Uh, the Independence Bowl in 1999 comes to mind. That New Years' Eve sucked....

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 07:37 PM
Uh, the Independence Bowl in 1999 comes to mind. That New Years' Eve sucked....
You betcha....

The next morning was even more painful.....

BoomerSooner07
9/30/2007, 07:39 PM
Why didn't they use the time out? Icing the kicker is a long shot, but why not try?

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Why didn't they use the time out? Icing the kicker is a long shot, but why not try?
Good Question.

I don't think it was Kevin Wilson's call.

That one is on Bob IMHO.

Animal Mother
9/30/2007, 07:43 PM
It's as if you're tied in the seat of a car rolling towards the edge of a 700 foot cliff. You've got a pretty good idea you aren't going to like the outcome and you can't do jack about it.

SoonerKnight
9/30/2007, 07:45 PM

Actually how recent because I remember a loss to Texas where it came down to a last second field goal and OU's kicker missed. I believe that was in 89 not sure the exact year but that loss really sucked!!!!!!!

Texas Golfer
9/30/2007, 07:46 PM
As well as Colorado played (and they played extremely well), I still can't help but feel we just gave them the win. Up 24-7 in the third only to have three quick turnovers and a very tired defense, but the muffed punt and the very poor punt coverage gave the Buffaloes 10 quick points to win the game. Had we contained the punt return, Colorado couldn't have kicked the game winning FG.

GottaHavePride
9/30/2007, 07:56 PM
This game was shades of the 1999 season - jump on people early but run out of gas in the second half.

In fact, that's how we lost all 5 of those games in 1999.

BornandBred
9/30/2007, 08:20 PM
I think the coaches thought that the kicker was expecting to be iced, so he wouldn't be ready. The old "he thought about faking" move. Rarely seems to work.

OUTrumpet
9/30/2007, 08:23 PM
Maybe not a game winning field goal, but that whole drive TTU had in 2005 was up there.

Oregon came pretty close to that, but not as bad.

kelloggOUballa
9/30/2007, 08:33 PM
Can't believe I forgot about that Independence Bowl! That really sucked as well...