PDA

View Full Version : Upward and Onward: The RRS and the Rest of '07

Octavian
9/30/2007, 05:26 PM
A few things:

1. Time to rally: The game in Boulder was downright painful. We've hashed it over now, slept on it, hashed it over some more. There are different perspectives and disagreements on why we lost. That's to be expected. There's some divisiveness there....but it won't do any good to be divisive just for its own sake. We just need to suck it up and rally around Stoops and the players...buy up as many RRS tickets as we possibly can and get into the Cotton Bowl and cheer like ravid lunatics for OU because....

2. This year's RRS may be the most important in a long time. This seems to be said almost every by someone....but this year is different because now we're both in positions of desperation. The Stoops regime has endured yet another inexplicable loss and the Mack regime looks nothing like a Top 10 program. The program that loses this game will probably take a major hit in prestige and perception. It could change the course for the loser for years to come. The loser will be 0-2 and staring at a trip to San Diego....at best. There is still an enormous amount of pressure for both programs. Not Top 5 showdown pressure...but save-us-from-oblivion pressure. It actually looks brighter for us because....

3. Our losses were much different. We went on the road and lost in a dramatic come-from-behind, OMG-type fashion. Texas endured a systematic 20-point beatdown on their home turf. Our staff, players, and fanbase were absolutely shocked with our loss. Because of their average play throughout September, their fanbase seemed to be anxiously expecting something like this to happen. Stoops and the Sooners really have a chance to turn the knife this Saturday in Dallas: an RRS loss for Mack would make 4 straight Big XII losses for the Horns stretching back to last year. Should we win, we'll still control our own destiny in the South and we'll be in Norman much of the time. And who knows....maybe all is not lost because...

4. If we had to lose, we picked the perfect day to do it. Five other Top 10 teams also fell. It not only helped take some of the sting away, it helped us from falling deeper in the polls. We're #10 in the Coaches Poll and #9 in the Harris Poll. That's a little surprising...and very managable heading into October. Nope, not what we wanted or expected but it could be much worse. We still are more than capable of running the table if we perform up to our potential. Never know....after Saturday's results, this season looks like one of the most wild and unpredictable in recent memory. There is no invincible juggernaut. USC and LSU will be incredibly lucky to navigate their schedules unblemished. Who knows? We may catch a few lucky breaks and be back in the hunt before it's all said and done. If you're in the Top 10 at the end of September....you still have a shot.

5. SO LET'S RALLY THE WAGONS!! Buy up RRS tickets, go down to Dallas and let's be the aggressor with a chip on our shoulder inside the Cotton Bowl. Wear CRIMSON and lose your voice....help OU get back on track and help send the Horns back to Austin with a winless conference record.

MissouriSooner
9/30/2007, 05:33 PM
Well said. Boomer Sooner.

OKC-SLC
9/30/2007, 06:57 PM
Good jorb, Octavian.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 07:09 PM
A few things:

1. Time to rally: The game in Boulder was downright painful. We've hashed it over now, slept on it, hashed it over some more. There are different perspectives and disagreements on why we lost. That's to be expected. There's some divisiveness there....but it won't do any good to be divisive just for its own sake. We just need to suck it up and rally around Stoops and the players...buy up as many RRS tickets as we possibly can and get into the Cotton Bowl and cheer like ravid lunatics for OU because....

2. This year's RRS may be the most important in a long time. This seems to be said almost every by someone....but this year is different because now we're both in positions of desperation. The Stoops regime has endured yet another inexplicable loss and the Mack regime looks nothing like a Top 10 program. The program that loses this game will probably take a major hit in prestige and perception. It could change the course for the loser for years to come. The loser will be 0-2 and staring at a trip to San Diego....at best. There is still an enormous amount of pressure for both programs. Not Top 5 showdown pressure...but save-us-from-oblivion pressure. It actually looks brighter for us because....

3. Our losses were much different. We went on the road and lost in a dramatic come-from-behind, OMG-type fashion. Texas endured a systematic 20-point beatdown on their home turf. Our staff, players, and fanbase were absolutely shocked with our loss. Because of their average play throughout September, their fanbase seemed to be anxiously expecting something like this to happen. Stoops and the Sooners really have a chance to turn the knife this Saturday in Dallas: an RRS loss for Mack would make 4 straight Big XII losses for the Horns stretching back to last year. Should we win, we'll still control our own destiny in the South and we'll be in Norman much of the time. And who knows....maybe all is not lost because...

4. If we had to lose, we picked the perfect day to do it. Five other Top 10 teams also fell. It not only helped take some of the sting away, it helped us from falling deeper in the polls. We're #10 in the Coaches Poll and #9 in the Harris Poll. That's a little surprising...and very managable heading into October. Nope, not what we wanted or expected but it could be much worse. We still are more than capable of running the table if we perform up to our potential. Never know....after Saturday's results, this season looks like one of the most wild and unpredictable in recent memory. There is no invincible juggernaut. USC and LSU will be incredibly lucky to navigate their schedules unblemished. Who knows? We may catch a few lucky breaks and be back in the hunt before it's all said and done. If you're in the Top 10 at the end of September....you still have a shot.

5. SO LET'S RALLY THE WAGONS!! Buy up RRS tickets, go down to Dallas and let's be the aggressor with a chip on our shoulder inside the Cotton Bowl. Wear CRIMSON and lose your voice....help OU get back on track and help send the Horns back to Austin with a winless conference record.All true but I think I will cheer like a RABID lunatic.Ravies is a new disease with no cure.Rabies however CAN be treated. :)

Crucifax Autumn
9/30/2007, 07:23 PM
Nice...I agree completely with all of this.

DrZaius
9/30/2007, 07:29 PM
WELL SAID.............

OU IS GONNA KICK SOME WHORN ***!

BOOOOOOOMER ****IN SOOOOOOOOOOONER

:D :D :D :D :D

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 07:30 PM
It's about time you got onboard....

I thought you were in permanent meltdown mode....

Glad to see your back....

BOOMER SOONER ! ! !

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS ! ! !

SoonerKnight
9/30/2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.tobynopoly.com/robyn/Texas_Sucks.jpg

Picture worth a thousand words!! Boomer Sooner!!!!

Soonerus
9/30/2007, 08:09 PM
It would be particularly great to beat Texas this year...and we can look back all year as the Texas win was what launched our title run...the loser is out of the race for all intents and purposes...

KantoSooner
9/30/2007, 08:22 PM
You've pretty much got it, Octavian.

Step 1: Beat Texas.

Badly.

But in a great sort of way!

OUmillenium
9/30/2007, 08:36 PM
Summed up a lot of my thoughts as well Octavian...here's one more...

The winner of the RRS should win the South, but the loser is gonna be out of the running this year. The loser would have 2 conference losses.

This game is big and we need to correct some things this week and take it to the shorthorns.

Boomer Sooner forever

A Sooner in Texas
9/30/2007, 09:35 PM
All true but I think I will cheer like a RABID lunatic.Ravies is a new disease with no cure.Rabies however CAN be treated. :)

I'll pledge $10 for the 5K, Michael. :D

And I'll pledge my voice to the Sooners this Saturday - and every game day beyond.

rainiersooner
9/30/2007, 09:38 PM
BEAT TEXAS!!!

birddog
9/30/2007, 09:42 PM
octavian's post will cause some movement in the britches.

FaninAma
9/30/2007, 10:13 PM
I hope the problems exhibited saturday get fixed. I hope this coaching staff doesn't get lulled into a false sense of security should we go on to win the Big 12 yet leave the issues of a porous secondary and unimaginitive play calling on the road unsolved.

I was very disappointed in how the coaching staff adjusted to what Colorado was doing as well as to what the Sooners' own players were doing(ie. not making personnel adjustments during the game.)

Good post, Octavian but if these adjustments arent made OU will get exposed again badly if they run up against a good coaching staff in the post-season.

bluedogok
9/30/2007, 10:54 PM
In the post game phone call with my father I fully expected to drop to the 12-15 range but I also didn't count on so many teams in the top 10 losing on the same day, so I agree with you that probably helped in the rankings. The positive think is NO ONE has looked "great" this season, everyone has flaws and seems to be able to have a loss on any given day.

Collier11
9/30/2007, 11:15 PM
IN an ubiased as possible way, this is my assesment. I think the season is two games for us, Mizzou and Osu.

Texas-I may be wrong, but I dont see them being able to play with us. Their O-line is beat up and young, their D is struggling. Anything can happen in a rivalry but I see this being a 10-20 pt win

Mizzou-We beat them there last year failry handily but their Offense still scares me a little. We win this and I feel really good about our season again

Iowa State-blowout, if they play us close we are in trouble

A&M and Baylor-Both Blowouts, Mcgee has regressed for A&M. These teams should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT be able to play with us

Tech- Sure its on the road and everyone knows what happened last time but Leach's O never seems to do too well against our D, if our Offense cant score 40-50 on that sorry D then we have problems. I see this being an easy win though im sure some might disagree

osu- Rivalry, pretty good Offense. If we can force some TO's early or jump on them early we should be fine but you never know!

Let us take care of business and hope we get some help

CincySooner
10/1/2007, 08:00 AM
damn straight... this team still has a lot to play for.

win the south, win the big XII, and maybe OU just might get some help from around the country.

Collier11
10/1/2007, 11:01 AM
damn straight... this team still has a lot to play for.

win the south, win the big XII, and maybe OU just might get some help from around the country.

Look at this week alone, Ohio State @ Purdue and Wisconsin @ Illinois. That is two more opportunities for undefeateds to lose!

Octavian
10/1/2007, 11:09 AM
It's about time you got onboard....

I thought you were in permanent meltdown mode...

well, I definitely vented. ;)

I'm not saying that I've changed my mind but it's OU-Texas Week and that means we've got an immediate chance for redemption.

Throw in all the other Top 10 losses and the upcoming schedules of the remaining Top 10 teams and it doesn't look as bad.

Still, I unfortunately agree with this:

I hope the problems exhibited saturday get fixed. I hope this coaching staff doesn't get lulled into a false sense of security should we go on to win the Big 12 yet leave the issues of a porous secondary and unimaginitive play calling on the road unsolved.

I was very disappointed in how the coaching staff adjusted to what Colorado was doing as well as to what the Sooners' own players were doing(ie. not making personnel adjustments during the game.)

Good post, Octavian but if these adjustments arent made OU will get exposed again badly if they run up against a good coaching staff in the post-season.

But...it's RRS week and it's time to put Boulder behind us and move on. We can still have a great season and accomplish a lot with a freshman under center.