PDA

View Full Version : RIP Richard N.

Okla-homey
9/30/2007, 04:09 PM
I received word today Richard died last night in his sleep at about 03:30. He was one of the most sunny dispositioned people I ever knew. He enjoyed reading, movies, chess and good conversation. He also enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. On nice summer days, he would ask the staff where he lived to roll him out onto the back lawn to sunbathe. That guy had a better tan than George Hamilton by June of each year.

I met Richard N. back in 1994. A few of us guys stationed at Ft Leavenworth used to go out a couple times a month and hang out with the guys who didn't have much familiy in the area. No big deal, its just the sort of thing G.I.'s do when they have the time.

Richard was a permanent resident of the VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, KS. He had lived there since 1962 when he became a low-functioning quadra-plegic following a jeep rollover when he was a young GI. His girlfriend couldn't deal with it and left him shortly thereafter. They had no children.

In short, 45 years without the use of his arms or legs and a lot of sickness related to his incapacity. I asked him how he could stay upbeat and he replied, hey, I got it pretty good here. These people take care of me, and make sure I'm as comfortable as possible and have good books, good films, and fellowship with my buddies here on the ward.

I'm proud that our country never failed in its commitment to take good care of Richard.

Best of all, Richard can walk now. In Heaven.

Have fun with your new body Richard. You earned it!

Turd_Ferguson
9/30/2007, 04:17 PM
God bless him.

Soonerus
9/30/2007, 04:26 PM
Very nice story...Prayers given...

Newbomb Turk
9/30/2007, 04:29 PM
may he rest in peace.

For a second there I was thinking "Didn't Nixon die a long time ago?"

VeeJay
9/30/2007, 05:45 PM
Well said and explained, Homey. I think that's why I like your posting style.

God Bless your buddy.

SoonerGirl06
9/30/2007, 06:30 PM
Ditto on what VJ said.

Rest in Peace Richard N.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/30/2007, 11:45 PM
God bless him , our wonderful country, and you, for your great attitude.

OCUDad
10/1/2007, 10:38 AM
RIP, Richard. And thanks.

stoopified
10/1/2007, 12:01 PM
I received word today Richard died last night in his sleep at about 03:30. He was one of the most sunny dispositioned people I ever knew. He enjoyed reading, movies, chess and good conversation. He also enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. On nice summer days, he would ask the staff where he lived to roll him out onto the back lawn to sunbathe. That guy had a better tan than George Hamilton by June of each year.

I met Richard N. back in 1994. A few of us guys stationed at Ft Leavenworth used to go out a couple times a month and hang out with the guys who didn't have much familiy in the area. No big deal, its just the sort of thing G.I.'s do when they have the time.

Richard was a permanent resident of the VA Medical Center in Leavenworth, KS. He had lived there since 1962 when he became a low-functioning quadra-plegic following a jeep rollover when he was a young GI. His girlfriend couldn't deal with it and left him shortly thereafter. They had no children.

In short, 45 years without the use of his arms or legs and a lot of sickness related to his incapacity. I asked him how he could stay upbeat and he replied, hey, I got it pretty good here. These people take care of me, and make sure I'm as comfortable as possible and have good books, good films, and fellowship with my buddies here on the ward.

I'm proud that our country never failed in its commitment to take good care of Richard.

Best of all, Richard can walk now. In Heaven.

Have fun with your new body Richard. You earned it!Wow !!! hopefully we can all remember the example of Richard N. when we are feeling sorry for ourselves because we don't have our dream job/girl/car/house/income etc.Every time I feel like throwing a pity party for myself ,this should make me ashamed .Compared to the way this man lived,I have NO problems.

Rogue
10/10/2007, 05:46 AM
Rest In Peace