PDA

View Full Version : Game film

zeke
9/30/2007, 11:11 AM
Instead of the coaches going over this game film to see where and what all broke down yesterday, how about going back and looking at the games that we have given away over that past few years.

Study the Offensive & Defensive game plans and breakdowns of each phase in those games. IMO they are all about the same.

Poor position in the secondary and linebackers.

Vanilla offense.

Inability to adjust

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 11:13 AM
When our Team goes flat...

It is pretty awful...

This loss still doesn't feel as bad as the TCU loss at home when Bob pulled Paul and put the idiot in....

Mjcpr
9/30/2007, 11:14 AM
I don't think they've gotten it back from CrimsonHelmet yet.

douxpaysan
9/30/2007, 11:27 AM
When our Team goes flat...

It is pretty awful...

This loss still doesn't feel as bad as the TCU loss at home when Bob pulled Paul and put the idiot in....
Yes it does...We were a young team in flux(2005), first game, still trying to find our identity while playing a team that was both good and senior laden. Everyone is trying to put a brave face on it....and I applaud that....but you can't or shouldn't diminish just how badly we played.

Blues1
9/30/2007, 11:27 AM
Instead of the coaches going over this game film to see where and what all broke down yesterday, how about going back and looking at the games that we have given away over that past few years.

Study the Offensive & Defensive game plans and breakdowns of each phase in those games. IMO they are all about the same.

Vanilla offense.

Inability to adjust

YOU Hit the Nail On The Head...!!!

SoonerSinger3
9/30/2007, 11:28 AM
the play that really baffles me is when we passed on first down and it was intercepted(the play where iglesias wrestled for the ball)...kw seems to call the wrong plays at the wrong time...we should've ran the ball to get a few yards to calm everyone down..our defense had just stopped them and then kw tries to go deep like an idiot...why put that much pressure on a young QB in a high pressure situation? if you're gonna pass, at least give him a safe pass...maybe colorado's defense really is that good, but where were all the safe throws we had been making all year?? our offense cost us the game period and bad coaching...i just don't understand it sometimes...hmm hmm hmm

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 11:34 AM
Yes it does...We were a young team in flux(2005), first game, still trying to find our identity while playing a team that was both good and senior laden. Everyone is trying to put a brave face on it....and I applaud that....but you can't or shouldn't diminish just how badly we played.
I don't think I'm diminshing it at all.

A loss is a loss.

One loss puts you out of national contention but not a BCS Bowl.

We have plenty of folks around here that thought this years team would go 11-1.

That wasn't me....I thought we had a shot given our schedule.

Games I was worried about were on the road this year.

Yesterday just confirmed my worries....

Most folks focus on the RRSO as the defining season moment....

Playing on the road in Boulder won't be dismissed again for quite awhile is my guess....

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season as I think we'll win out.

There's not a thing I can do about yesterday...

This is still a great Team.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/30/2007, 12:01 PM

Why? We looked so disgusting on defense, both in execution AND scheme, a pack of 11 retards in helmets would've moved the football on us yesterday.

Wrong. Downright poor play by the secondary and linebackers. It was position in the sense that linebackers were jumping the slot on goal line man coverage and blowing the tight end for safety over coverage when every one-legged gimp that's ever watched a football game knows that if the tight end releases, you need someone in press until he can be released either across the zone or to the over. Two CU touchdowns were a result of simple blown coverage. Not athletic overpursuit or cutesy playing the ball crap, flat out blown coverage. Thank the baby Jesus that kid was a freshman with some pressure on him, because with all the tanked assignments in our supposed vaunted secondary THROUGHOUT the game, had Colorado been a better ballclub, that'd be a 20 point asswhoopin'.

Vanilla offense.

That's real easy to say. I hate to break it to the masses, but that IS the offense. And it ain't exactly vanilla by definition. Lots of motion, lots of fold/pull up front, receiver picks and crosses, downfield passing through run sets, blah blah blah. The list goes on forever on how that offense is as vanilla as rocky road ice cream. You guys see A and B gap slashes and it's vanilla. Other folks see A and B gap work from every bit of 8 or more different sets, with those sets also giving skinny posts, TE zippers, screens, Z-outs, load swings, God knows what else, all worked with motion to never nail down a factor of this set = that play. Vanilla my ***. Those boys just couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Period.

Inability to adjust

Now that's more like it. If I see that offset LB gap stack nickel one more time, I'm drivin' to Norman and puttin' knuckles in Brent Venables' mouth. A high school squad could backside pull that gap to ribbons. And Colorado ain't a high school. And they did. And that's not execution, that's scheme. Very poorly developed package.

Not happy at all with this one, boys. We looked foolish out there, from kickoff to buzzer. I could give a damn about rollin' creampuffs by 60 points. If that's what we're bringing to the Big 12 this season, we're in for a looooong haul.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 12:56 PM
Why? We looked so disgusting on defense, both in execution AND scheme, a pack of 11 retards in helmets would've moved the football on us yesterday.

Wrong. Downright poor play by the secondary and linebackers. It was position in the sense that linebackers were jumping the slot on goal line man coverage and blowing the tight end for safety over coverage when every one-legged gimp that's ever watched a football game knows that if the tight end releases, you need someone in press until he can be released either across the zone or to the over. Two CU touchdowns were a result of simple blown coverage. Not athletic overpursuit or cutesy playing the ball crap, flat out blown coverage. Thank the baby Jesus that kid was a freshman with some pressure on him, because with all the tanked assignments in our supposed vaunted secondary THROUGHOUT the game, had Colorado been a better ballclub, that'd be a 20 point asswhoopin'.

That's real easy to say. I hate to break it to the masses, but that IS the offense. And it ain't exactly vanilla by definition. Lots of motion, lots of fold/pull up front, receiver picks and crosses, downfield passing through run sets, blah blah blah. The list goes on forever on how that offense is as vanilla as rocky road ice cream. You guys see A and B gap slashes and it's vanilla. Other folks see A and B gap work from every bit of 8 or more different sets, with those sets also giving skinny posts, TE zippers, screens, Z-outs, load swings, God knows what else, all worked with motion to never nail down a factor of this set = that play. Vanilla my ***. Those boys just couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. Period.

Now that's more like it. If I see that offset LB gap stack nickel one more time, I'm drivin' to Norman and puttin' knuckles in Brent Venables' mouth. A high school squad could backside pull that gap to ribbons. And Colorado ain't a high school. And they did. And that's not execution, that's scheme. Very poorly developed package.

Not happy at all with this one, boys. We looked foolish out there, from kickoff to buzzer. I could give a damn about rollin' creampuffs by 60 points. If that's what we're bringing to the Big 12 this season, we're in for a looooong haul.
Great analysis, but i think when most people are talking about a vanilla offense, they are wishing we would try some kind of trickery in games when we are not ahead by 50; we have two of the best running receivers around, why can't we run a reverse occasionally just to maybe keep a defense guessing.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/30/2007, 02:42 PM
...we have two of the best running receivers around, why can't we run a reverse occasionally just to maybe keep a defense guessing.

Sad thing is, we did. And promptly got cornholed for our trouble by a well coached, well schemed defensive unit. They stayed home. They covered well and mixed coverages brilliantly to never give poor Sammy an honest look. They're strong at the linebacker position, kept linebackers clean through good DT play and went sideline to sideline, aggressively attacking the football. With the play of Colorado's defensive front, it's no wonder we got clowned. Good ol' fashioned fundamental football. Nothing cute, nothing fancy, just good step for step by the corners, safeties did their job both stepping down and staying above the routes, and again, the defensive front played balls out, driving to maintain the line of scrimmage and contain instead of ends blowing upfield and creating lanes, and the outstanding linebacker play.

Point being...

We could've ran twenty series worth of gadget razzle dazzle and it wouldn't have mattered. Colorado was that fundamentally sharp. My hat off to Hawkins and his defensive coaches for a hellacious week of preparation. But you beat good coaching with better coaching and talent. Defensively, that wasn't anywhere to be found in the second half. Offensively, trickery doesn't equal better coaching. "Hitting 'em where they ain't" is better coaching, something we outright failed to do. I can understand the premise of X not working, Y not working, go with bread and butter Z and gain some momentum, but c'mon. Where's the draw look to get the secondary on its heels? Where's the playaction to high percentage routes? Where's the ****ing counter with hard downblocks to put some hat on the linebackers for a change instead of asking a 350 pound behemoth to face block a 260 pound, 4.8 guy in space? Instead we got hat for hat, we're better than you and we're gonna prove it. And we got it crammed down our throat.

Anyway...

This is turning into a rant. Nothin' on you personal, TulsaOilerFan.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 04:02 PM
Sad thing is, we did. And promptly got cornholed for our trouble by a well coached, well schemed defensive unit. They stayed home. They covered well and mixed coverages brilliantly to never give poor Sammy an honest look. They're strong at the linebacker position, kept linebackers clean through good DT play and went sideline to sideline, aggressively attacking the football. With the play of Colorado's defensive front, it's no wonder we got clowned. Good ol' fashioned fundamental football. Nothing cute, nothing fancy, just good step for step by the corners, safeties did their job both stepping down and staying above the routes, and again, the defensive front played balls out, driving to maintain the line of scrimmage and contain instead of ends blowing upfield and creating lanes, and the outstanding linebacker play.

Point being...

We could've ran twenty series worth of gadget razzle dazzle and it wouldn't have mattered. Colorado was that fundamentally sharp. My hat off to Hawkins and his defensive coaches for a hellacious week of preparation. But you beat good coaching with better coaching and talent. Defensively, that wasn't anywhere to be found in the second half. Offensively, trickery doesn't equal better coaching. "Hitting 'em where they ain't" is better coaching, something we outright failed to do. I can understand the premise of X not working, Y not working, go with bread and butter Z and gain some momentum, but c'mon. Where's the draw look to get the secondary on its heels? Where's the playaction to high percentage routes? Where's the ****ing counter with hard downblocks to put some hat on the linebackers for a change instead of asking a 350 pound behemoth to face block a 260 pound, 4.8 guy in space? Instead we got hat for hat, we're better than you and we're gonna prove it. And we got it crammed down our throat.

Anyway...

This is turning into a rant. Nothin' on you personal, TulsaOilerFan.
It's okay, i don't see anything you posted to get offended about, i'm just frustrated as to why Wilson SEEMS to call a different game on the road than he does at home; maybe it's just me though