PDA

View Full Version : Texas - OU

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2007, 09:51 AM
You know.. it was supposed to be... No. 3 ranked Oklahoma vs. No. 5 ranked Texas... ESPN gameday in attendance.... true, quality smack being talked by both sides, OU's unstoppable offense vs. the improving Texas defense... another clash of the titans.. a game for the ages.

Instead.. it's like going to a pron movie expecting to see Jenni Jameson in all of her splendor and you get Grandma Tuttle from East Bejees bumcrap instead... It's like Charlie Brown on Halloween, opening his bag and finding.. a rock.

A classic case of, when the victorious legions marched back into Rome, the general had a slave riding with him in his chariot, constantly whispering to him.. "Remember, thou art only a man...and all glory is fleeting." Well, somewhere along the line, we kicked out the slave and tried to power run that chariot along the Appian Way!

In any event, if anyone is interested... since 1960, there have only been two years in which both Texas and Oklahoma lost the week before the "now, Red River Pillow Fight."

1999.. Texas lost to Kansas State 35 - 17
Oklahoma lost to Neutered Dame.. 34 - 30

The result... Texas 38, OU 28

1997... in John Mackovic's "Opponents Tear Down the GoalPost Tour" Texas lost to Okie Lite (the only time OkieLite has beaten Texas in Big XII play) 42 - 17
Oklahoma lost to..... Kansas... 20 - 17

The result... Texas 27, OU 24.

Just a bit of history on this dark, gloomy day.

fadada1
9/30/2007, 10:03 AM
pillow fight??? maybe.

but one of these teams is going to be awfully angry coming down the tunnel on saturday. the team that is angrier will win.

here's to OU being very, very angry.

Flagstaffsooner
9/30/2007, 10:05 AM
And you got a lame pony, Lid.

Socrefbek
9/30/2007, 10:07 AM
I think I'll go have a ham sammich.

soonernation
9/30/2007, 10:37 AM
It's OU-Texas you JackAss.

SoonerFah
9/30/2007, 10:37 AM
The only difference is that OU was actually a contender until yesterday. UT has yet to look impressive this year.

Texas Golfer
9/30/2007, 10:40 AM
You know.. it was supposed to be... No. 3 ranked Oklahoma vs. No. 5 ranked Texas... ESPN gameday in attendance.... true, quality smack being talked by both sides, OU's unstoppable offense vs. the improving Texas defense... another clash of the titans.. a game for the ages.

Instead.. it's like going to a pron movie expecting to see Jenni Jameson in all of her splendor and you get Grandma Tuttle from East Bejees bumcrap instead... It's like Charlie Brown on Halloween, opening his bag and finding.. a rock.

A classic case of, when the victorious legions marched back into Rome, the general had a slave riding with him in his chariot, constantly whispering to him.. "Remember, thou art only a man...and all glory is fleeting." Well, somewhere along the line, we kicked out the slave and tried to power run that chariot along the Appian Way!

In any event, if anyone is interested... since 1960, there have only been two years in which both Texas and Oklahoma lost the week before the "now, Red River Pillow Fight."

1997... in John Mackovic's "Opponents Tear Down the GoalPost Tour" Texas lost to Okie Lite (the only time OkieLite has beaten Texas in Big XII play) 42 - 17

2007...Texas lost to Kansas State 41-21
Oklahoma lost to Colorado 27-24

The result...OU 52, Texas 14.

josh09
9/30/2007, 10:42 AM
I really could care less what the game means OUTSIDE both of our fan bases.

Its still OU-Texas, and its a great rivalry.

mojohornfan
9/30/2007, 10:43 AM
I will say one thing. With the way our offense, defense, special teams are playing and with the way our coaches are coaching, it will be a long day next saturday, just as it was yesterday. At least you guys still have a great head coach THAT SHOWS EMOTION WHEN YA'LL ARE GETTING YOUR ASSES KICKED IN. (not that it happens to you guys much)

I could pretend to know enough to say what is wrong with this team, but I just don't know what is wrong with this team. You have to start at the top, and that is Mack Brown.

Flagstaffsooner
9/30/2007, 10:50 AM
It's OU-texass you JackAss.
fixed

stoopified
9/30/2007, 10:52 AM
Let's kick some Texa$$.

GrapevineSooner
9/30/2007, 11:02 AM

F*** off, horn.

;)

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 11:09 AM
Lid...

We want to see you on the big screen on bended knee proposing during the game.

Don't wait until it's over as you'll probably be the only two whorns left in the stadium in the 4th qtr.

Socrefbek
9/30/2007, 11:10 AM
It's OU-Texas you JackAss.

My post was a sarcastic response directed at Lid trying to insinuate, that because he found two instances of both teams losing prior to the RRS and saxeT winning the RRS in those years, that saxeT would win this year.

Therefore, if your post is directed at me ...

try kicking your brain in gear ]You DumbAss.

:rolleyes:

If it wasn't directed at me then NM :)

TexasLidig8r
9/30/2007, 11:23 AM
Lid...

We want to see you on the big screen on bended knee proposing during the game.

Don't wait until it's over as you'll probably be the only two whorns left in the stadium in the 4th qtr.

The only thing I will be proposing to is my flask of Maker's Mark.. or by then, by empty flask of Maker's Mark.

Quite frankly, I anticipate a 14 point loss. Why?

This year's Texas team does not have an identity... it plays without passion.... it is leaderless. Colt by all accounts, is a great kid.. conscientious. But... he lacks that certain intangible quality that all great leaders have. In addition, he appears to be soft.. you pop him in the mouth a few times and he gets hurt.

On one drive against Rice, Texas on offense played all true and redshirt freshmen... all 11 positions... they went on a methodical 68 yard drive and scored...

Mack, to his detriment, is overly loyal to older players.

This season could get very very ugly.

SoonerSinger3
9/30/2007, 11:33 AM
let's face it fellas...i hate to be the fan that says "your team only one because of one certain player", but vince young won that 2005 national title for the texas longhorns, mack didn't...before the '05 season people wanted his head, then he wins a national title finally and people love him...let's face it folks, he's still the same ole mack brown

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 11:41 AM
Lid....

Maybe we can watch Maffew McKonnyherd propose then....

I think your right your team needs someone to pump them up.

Losing at home sucks.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/30/2007, 11:53 AM
let's face it fellas...i hate to be the fan that says "your team only one because of one certain player", but vince young won that 2005 national title for the texas longhorns, mack didn't...before the '05 season people wanted his head, then he wins a national title finally and people love him...let's face it folks, he's still the same ole mack brownKudos! I was preparing to post the above...WORD FOR WORD. Visitor whorns, that is the truth. Glad you extended Mack's contract.

badger
9/30/2007, 11:57 AM
Misery loves company, whornie. Now about your avatar...

I can make you a cute looking longhorn crying like the kids they keep showing on FSN next to a cartoony scoreboard with the final. Or, I can make you a colt mccoy with crutches and several casts.

Or perhaps, I can make a horn-turned-football player like they do on your adzillatron pregame thingy. that is just creepy.

Or, a badger with an OU hat and pink bow pointing and laughing at a NON-UT-APPROVED upsidedown longhorn logo and the final score. Would you like that? :D

Of course, should OU lay a big schooner egg, I would comply with your avatar requirement for... one month. Deal or no deal?

douxpaysan
9/30/2007, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=TexasLidig8r]

[QUOTE] Changed to the bumbling stumbling grumbling orange whorde driving back to Austin, Mack had a perp riding in his stolen car, whispering "You the man...the man with the lifetime contract." You may have gotten rid of the convict but not the contract. Good luck to the burnt orange whoredom with that greenwhorn. ps. green is for envy:pop:

KaiserSooner
9/30/2007, 12:19 PM
Call me Doug Downer, but I just hope the Bob Stoops era trend of only beating Texas when OU is undefeated doesn't continue this season.

soonernation
9/30/2007, 12:59 PM
My post was a sarcastic response directed at Lid trying to insinuate, that because he found two instances of both teams losing prior to the RRS and saxeT winning the RRS in those years, that saxeT would win this year.

Therefore, if your post is directed at me ...

try kicking your brain in gear ]You DumbAss.

If it wasn't directed at me then NM :)

Use your brain. Why would it be directed @ you? Next time it might be though.

Edit: For your dumbass comment you get http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif. I forgot to sign it.

Dio
9/30/2007, 03:45 PM
1997... Oklahoma lost to..... Kansas... 20 - 17

Thanks for reminding me about THAT game, ya bastard.

Octavian
9/30/2007, 04:16 PM
Definitely a reversal of fortunes.

At this time next week....one powerhouse program will have righted its ship. The other will be 0-2 in conference play and the infighting among that fanbase will be vicious.

Nothing changes perspectives more than the Red River War. OU and Texas are in the same boat...just not the one we were all thinking it would be.

Oct. 6, '07 is put up or shut up time for both of programs: Win and march forward toward a Big XII Championship or lose and wallow in mediocrity.

MichiganSoonerFan
9/30/2007, 04:35 PM
And that program, Will be texas,after be humilated and slaped around by Kansas.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 04:36 PM

soonerboy_odanorth
9/30/2007, 05:01 PM
You know.. it was supposed to be... No. 3 ranked Oklahoma vs. No. 5 ranked Texas... ESPN gameday in attendance.... true, quality smack being talked by both sides, OU's unstoppable offense vs. the improving Texas defense...

:confused:

I had not heard that. Especially after the UCF game. And Southlake Carrol could hold Rice to 14 points.

Not that it matters given that we all now know our offense is quite stoppable.

MissouriSooner
9/30/2007, 05:55 PM
"Not that it matters given that we all now know our offense is quite stoppable."

Only if it's operated in the manner that it was against CU. If it's operated like it was against Miami, it can score points. For clarification on this, see Kevin Wilson.

SoonerKnight
9/30/2007, 07:28 PM
The important point is that Texass SUCKS!!!!!! OU let a game go but they do not SUCK like TEXASS!!!!!! Case in point:

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/09/20/mack-brown.jpg

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/4351-1/BrownMack279112406116.jpg

utex74
9/30/2007, 11:24 PM
The only thing I will be proposing to is my flask of Maker's Mark.. or by then, by empty flask of Maker's Mark.

Quite frankly, I anticipate a 14 point loss. Why?

This year's Texas team does not have an identity... it plays without passion.... it is leaderless. Colt by all accounts, is a great kid.. conscientious. But... he lacks that certain intangible quality that all great leaders have. In addition, he appears to be soft.. you pop him in the mouth a few times and he gets hurt.

On one drive against Rice, Texas on offense played all true and redshirt freshmen... all 11 positions... they went on a methodical 68 yard drive and scored...

Mack, to his detriment, is overly loyal to older players.

This season could get very very ugly.

Lid,

That drive you speak of was Chiles and McGee running against a tired Rice defense. Impressive but you have to take that into account.

On another thread I made the analogy of this team being like a patchwork of players plugged into spots with no cohesion. Like a bunch of fingers plugging holes in the dike and yesterday the dike broke. I hope they use this week wisely and show up ready. But I, also, think OU by 14-21 pts. My only hope is I am usually wrong when it comes to predicting Texas games!

utex74
9/30/2007, 11:31 PM
I will say one thing. With the way our offense, defense, special teams are playing and with the way our coaches are coaching, it will be a long day next saturday, just as it was yesterday. At least you guys still have a great head coach THAT SHOWS EMOTION WHEN YA'LL ARE GETTING YOUR ASSES KICKED IN. (not that it happens to you guys much)

I could pretend to know enough to say what is wrong with this team, but I just don't know what is wrong with this team. You have to start at the top, and that is Mack Brown.

I think it shows very low to no class to go rip your coach on a rival's web board. Besides being a dumbass, you just don't hang out your own in your opponents backyard.

Sooner02
9/30/2007, 11:34 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/09/20/mack-brown.jpg
He's really looking old...

ouwasp
9/30/2007, 11:46 PM
Just think how smarmy the talking heads will be as they pontificate about the game :Battle of the Almost Titans. Yuck.

Here's a crimson straw to grasp at: Any Sooner here over the age of 45 is likely to remember the Kansas game of '75. Nolan Cromwell and the Jayhawks beat OU 23-3 at Norman... yet the stars still aligned correctly and OU won the MNC over Michigan.

So beat texas. And everyone else.

goingoneight
10/1/2007, 12:14 AM
... I think we could take Michigan. :D

cvsooner
10/1/2007, 12:50 AM
Just think how smarmy the talking heads will be as they pontificate about the game :Battle of the Almost Titans. Yuck.

Here's a crimson straw to grasp at: Any Sooner here over the age of 45 is likely to remember the Kansas game of '75. Nolan Cromwell and the Jayhawks beat OU 23-3 at Norman... yet the stars still aligned correctly and OU won the MNC over Michigan.

So beat texas. And everyone else.

Oh, man, yeah. I was a sophomore that year and before that game, we escaped with a one point win over Colorado in Norman, 21-20, because the Buffs missed their final extra point.

Against Kansas, one of the finest Sooner teams I've ever seen -- not as good as the '74 team, but mighty close -- at HOME, no less -- could not do anything right. Kansas played the game of their lives and we couldn't seem to do diddly. Just pathetic. I remember thinking the season was over. It wasn't.

In '72, we lost one game to Colorado, at Boulder, by six points. Only loss that year, and then beat...Penn State? With Heisman Trophy winner John Capeletti in the Sugar Bowl. In fact, we had won the first four games that year by a bazillion points, went into Boulder, and then...pfhfft.

Season is far from over. Adjustments need to be made and the Sooners still have a very good season ahead of them. I think part of what made the game Saturday so frustrating was Sam has just played much better than we could have hoped for, and then, though he didn't play poorly, he didn't play well. Hell, nobody did, really. 'Cept Mike Cohen and Garrett Hartley.

It's a bad day when the best two one-on-one tackles are by the kickers. You look back over the game...Colorado tried to give us the game and then we gave it back. We each tried to give it to the other, several times. They finally took it and we couldn't take it back. Six plays go another way and we win that game. Colorado didn't play all that well...but they played better than we did when it counted. They made their mistakes early, we made ours late, with most of the critical ones in the 4th period.

A couple of poor coaching decisions late didn't help. I really think everybody was looking past Colorado, and that was the big mistake...that, and not factoring in the altitude. Stoops can wave that off as much as he wants, but lemme tell you, I'm in pretty good shape, cardio-wise, and recently on a trip to Santa Fe, NM, my usual five-mile run at 900 feet was a killer at 7,000 feet.

I think the Sooners thought they had them beat but Colorado just hadn't figured it out yet. The offense doesn't get it done when it needs to in the second half, the defense makes some key boo-boos and when we've got a chance to put it away, we fumble a punt. We catch that ball, get a couple of first downs, and this one is history...we escape with the win. Some games are like that.

Just a bad game, and hopefully an aberration. Move on.

mojohornfan
10/1/2007, 07:55 AM
I think it shows very low to no class to go rip your coach on a rival's web board. Besides being a dumbass, you just don't hang out your own in your opponents backyard.
Not a dumbass, just ****ed that "my coach" can't show any emotion on the sidelines. And to have 2 special teams TD's scored against us is ridiculous. That happens because of coaching, plain and simple. They weren't prepared.

As far as "hanging out my own" here in soonerland, this is a MESSAGE board, not a message parlor. Besides, my rant would've just blended in with all of the other horn rants.

I have plenty 'o class, but you wouldn't know that, now would ya?

sooneron
10/1/2007, 08:27 AM
Not a dumbass, just ****ed that "my coach" can't show any emotion on the sidelines. And to have 2 special teams TD's scored against us is ridiculous. That happens because of coaching, plain and simple. They weren't prepared.

As far as "hanging out my own" here in soonerland, this is a MESSAGE board, not a message parlor. Besides, my rant would've just blended in with all of the other horn rants.

Now now, we know that neither of you have class as you are both whorns.

TexasLidig8r
10/1/2007, 08:36 AM
Misery loves company, whornie. Now about your avatar...

I can make you a cute looking longhorn crying like the kids they keep showing on FSN next to a cartoony scoreboard with the final. Or, I can make you a colt mccoy with crutches and several casts.

Or perhaps, I can make a horn-turned-football player like they do on your adzillatron pregame thingy. that is just creepy.

Or, a badger with an OU hat and pink bow pointing and laughing at a NON-UT-APPROVED upsidedown longhorn logo and the final score. Would you like that? :D

Of course, should OU lay a big schooner egg, I would comply with your avatar requirement for... one month. Deal or no deal?

What type of an alumni/supporter/fan would I be if I turned down such an offer? Even if I believe we are going to be playing Andy Dufrene and OU is going to be playing the "Sisters of Shawshank" on us! Sure.. why not!

Are nekkid avatars allowed on here?

roostercogburn
10/1/2007, 09:06 AM
This is one of the greatest weeks of the year.......... Come on, let's eat bevo!!!

http://www.dalachybeef.co.uk/filletsteak.jpg

Landthief 1972
10/1/2007, 09:28 AM

Cheer up. Mack is a MUCH better clapper than Stoops.

Damn, I can't find my nifty animated mackclap.gif. Don't 'spose anybody saved that, did they?

badger
10/1/2007, 09:51 AM
Are nekkid avatars allowed on here?
it's on like a leprechaun, then! Said bet is as follows:

After OU wins:
1- I, badger, will provide you, TexasLidig8r, with an avatar that will be appropriate for the audience here. That means, it won't be NSFW. However, as the whorn logo looks kind of like deformed panties, perhaps something can be worked out if...

Texas should be so lucky:
2- You, TexasLidig8r, will provide me, badger, with an avatar that will be appropriate for the audience here, so safe for work, no unedited profanity, etc.

The new avatar must be posted by Wednesday after RRS, or Oct. 10. The new avatar must be displayed by Friday, or Oct. 12, the day before the RRS hangover game. The new avatar shall take place of any other avatars for badger or TexasLidig8r for two weeks, or Oct. 12-26. This will provide appropriate shame for the losing party.

I will change my sig to remind everyone on the board of said bet and will PM you following the Sooner victory aka RRS. (RRR? Whatev, "Red River Rivalry" is a stupid name and I like RRS better!) There will be no method of enforcement, other than a "gentlemen's agreement" between a Texan and a badger... who isn't a gentleman, but has definitely lost these bets before to Herr. M'kay?

TexasLidig8r
10/1/2007, 10:14 AM
it's on like a leprechaun, then! Said bet is as follows:

After OU wins:
1- I, badger, will provide you, TexasLidig8r, with an avatar that will be appropriate for the audience here. That means, it won't be NSFW. However, as the whorn logo looks kind of like deformed panties, perhaps something can be worked out if...

Texas should be so lucky:
2- You, TexasLidig8r, will provide me, badger, with an avatar that will be appropriate for the audience here, so safe for work, no unedited profanity, etc.

The new avatar must be posted by Wednesday after RRS, or Oct. 10. The new avatar must be displayed by Friday, or Oct. 12, the day before the RRS hangover game. The new avatar shall take place of any other avatars for badger or TexasLidig8r for two weeks, or Oct. 12-26. This will provide appropriate shame for the losing party.

I will change my sig to remind everyone on the board of said bet and will PM you following the Sooner victory aka RRS. (RRR? Whatev, "Red River Rivalry" is a stupid name and I like RRS better!) There will be no method of enforcement, other than a "gentlemen's agreement" between a Texan and a badger... who isn't a gentleman, but has definitely lost these bets before to Herr. M'kay?

http://www.shareasale.com/image/donkykong.gif

and I'm still waitin' to paint BSG with burnt orange body paint.. but THAT is a different story completely!!!