PDA

View Full Version : New Training Film - "How to Blow a Game"

Blues1
9/30/2007, 08:58 AM
After 54 years of being a Sooner Fan the only thing I can think of is this is a perfect example on "How to blow a game" - Yesterday Clearly the superior team lost - So talent doesn't matter - Speed doesn't Matter - Size doesn't matter - Having a 17 point lead doesn't matter - Playing by the rules doesn't matter - What does matter -- ??? - "Momentum" and "Guts"

If we ever Needed a *Gutsy Call* it was needed in Boulder - Where's the trick 4th down punt play we used in the Bama Game...?? - The fake field goal we used in the Mizzou game...?? - Going for it on 4th down ..we have used in other games..?? - Where is the Riverboat Gambler we once had ...?? - We lost this game because we let them "Get The Momentum" and we lost our "GUTS" --- Our Players didn't Lose this game - Our Coaches Did....!!!

We hear every week on how our coaches want our players to improve every week - Cut down on mistakes - Play sound tatics - Play with passion and purpose - Well I suggest it's time our Coaches go to "How to go for "Guts and Momentum School" ..!!!

Blast me IF you want..?? - But after 54 years of following the Sooners This is the way I see it.....We lost the Momentum and our coaches lost their Guts...!!!

Keep Rockin'

soonerloyal
9/30/2007, 09:15 AM
You know, I love you people to pieces, and some grief is normal after a loss. Talking about it is natural and helps understand it and heal. That's true of sadness after any kind of loss, whether it's as small as a game, or huge as a death.

But some of the posts...I feel like I'm watching a standard 'horns or pokes board meltdown. Don't think so? Just take out "Wilson" "Venables" or "Stoops" in some of these threads and insert "Chizik" "Davis" "Brown" "Gundy" or whoever the hella they have over at OrangeLand trying to direct TWMPO. Don't get me wrong. Nothing, not even parenthood, demands blind obedience and is above reproach here on this earth. And this is a fan board, we're allowed to pitch fits. But is it really necessary to think we're doomed because our coaching staff and team sometimes is not perfect? Losing happens to everyone. Unless it was the 47-game streak Sooner team. And even that came to an end. This isn't a symptom of a fatal disease, it's a loss, and as we usually do, we'll learn. Even if the lesson doesn't always seem to translate how some fans want it to.

We're Sooners. We're blessed to be fans of the best CFB team in the history of the sport. So I say this in the nicest, most caring Mama, think twice before you neg an old lady way...

Those of you who are freaking out, grow a pair and calm down. It was game 5 out of 13.

Let's move on to Dallas.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 09:17 AM
After 54 years of being a Sooner Fan the only thing I can think of is this is a perfect example on "How to blow a game" - Yesterday Clearly the superior team lost - So talent doesn't matter - Speed doesn't Matter - Size doesn't matter - Having a 17 point lead doesn't matter - Playing by the rules doesn't matter - What does matter -- ??? - "Momentum" and "Guts"

If we ever Needed a *Gutsy Call* it was needed in Boulder - Where's the trick 4th down punt play we used in the Bama Game...?? - The fake field goal we used in the Mizzou game...?? - Going for it on 4th down ..we have used in other games..?? - Where is the Riverboat Gambler we once had ...?? - We lost this game because we let them "Get The Momentum" and we lost our "GUTS" --- Our Players didn't Lose this game - Our Coaches Did....!!!

We hear every week on how our coaches want our players to improve every week - Cut down on mistakes - Play sound tatics - Play with passion and purpose - Well I suggest it's time our Coaches go to "How to go for "Guts and Momentum School" ..!!!

Blast me IF you want..?? - But after 54 years of following the Sooners This is the way I see it.....We lost the Momentum and our coaches lost their Guts...!!!

Keep Rockin'
I've only been a Sooner fan for 38 years brother but I feel your pain.I would point out however that THE PLAYERS dropped the ball,literally.6 catchable passes dropped and a punt AND three additional picks were dropped.Can't lay that off on coaches.

There is an old coaching axiom that says YOU ARE NEVER AS GOOD AS YOUR BEST GAME OR AS BAD AS YOUR WORST.I think this has never been more true than now.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 01:15 PM
You know, I love you people to pieces, and some grief is normal after a loss. Talking about it is natural and helps understand it and heal. That's true of sadness after any kind of loss, whether it's as small as a game, or huge as a death.

But some of the posts...I feel like I'm watching a standard 'horns or pokes board meltdown. Don't think so? Just take out "Wilson" "Venables" or "Stoops" in some of these threads and insert "Chizik" "Davis" "Brown" "Gundy" or whoever the hella they have over at OrangeLand trying to direct TWMPO. Don't get me wrong. Nothing, not even parenthood, demands blind obedience and is above reproach here on this earth. And this is a fan board, we're allowed to pitch fits. But is it really necessary to think we're doomed because our coaching staff and team sometimes is not perfect? Losing happens to everyone. Unless it was the 47-game streak Sooner team. And even that came to an end. This isn't a symptom of a fatal disease, it's a loss, and as we usually do, we'll learn. Even if the lesson doesn't always seem to translate how some fans want it to.

We're Sooners. We're blessed to be fans of the best CFB team in the history of the sport. So I say this in the nicest, most caring Mama, think twice before you neg an old lady way...

Those of you who are freaking out, grow a pair and calm down. It was game 5 out of 13.

Let's move on to Dallas.

When you develop the losing habits this coaching staff has you're gonna get talked about and deservedly so. Deflect it with talking about whornfans or orangpower all you want but this staff deserves every bit of being called gutless and unimaginative. The players are responding accordingly and we are morphing into the next Michigan. Overrated at the start of every year only to be unmasked, gashed, and exposed. I don't know about you, but to me that's unacceptable. Especially when the man in charge is making 3 mil a year. If this was a one time deal none of this would be happening, but it's not. It's become a part of who they are as a staff and as a team. Gutless. Vanilla. Mediocre when the chips are down.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 01:23 PM
When you develop the losing habits this coaching staff has you're gonna get talked about and deservedly so. Deflect it with talking about whornfans or orangpower all you want but this staff deserves every bit of being called gutless and unimaginative. The players are responding accordingly and we are morphing into the next Michigan. Overrated at the start of every year only to be unmasked, gashed, and exposed. I don't know about you, but to me that's unacceptable. Especially when the man in charge is making 3 mil a year. If this was a one time deal none of this would be happening, but it's not. It's become a part of who they are as a staff and as a team. Gutless. Vanilla. Mediocre when the chips are down.
Another one just fell off the bandwagon....

Call 911 ! ! !
:pop:

GottaHavePride
9/30/2007, 01:31 PM
"Losing habits"?

Huh? We're 82-20 under Stoops. If you add our 8 wins from '05 back in, that's 90-20. That's 82% victories. Heck, a couple of those losses (Oregon, Boise State in 06) should have been wins.

oufan1
9/30/2007, 01:34 PM
why is this guy still in the green. "losing habits" what a freakin moron. These coaches are some of the winningest in college football... and guess what the best team doesnt always win and its hard as hell to win them all.

85Sooner
9/30/2007, 01:36 PM
"Losing habits"?

Huh? We're 82-20 under Stoops. If you add our 8 wins from '05 back in, that's 90-20. That's 82% victories. Heck, a couple of those losses (Oregon, Boise State in 06) should have been wins.

I don't think its ths losses so much as the loss of heart in defeats. Gotta say that saying we used to have a gunslinger is about right. Remember this is our entertainment not life or death so it would be more fun to see the creative plays but we get whet we get. we are not paid 4 mil a year to do it. DAMNIT :)

birddog
9/30/2007, 01:37 PM
who else do you want, red giant? who could do a better job?

i love how some people think we should win everything, every year. then after a loss (which is very rare), firings are in order.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 01:38 PM
So you're saying what you saw yesterday was the result of winning habits? What you saw in the bowl game last year, against USC, against KSU, against any number of teams, were all the result of winning habits?? This team quits when someone goes after them. If a team comes out and socks them they're done. That is mediocre football.

MextheBulldog
9/30/2007, 01:39 PM
The coaches absolutely need to catch some flack for that lay down in the fourth quarter. Do we want to fire them? Absolutely not. But the coaches clearly need to feel some pain. Now go out and beat the hell outta saxet, and things are much, much, much better.

Losing to saxet three years in a row at OU is unacceptable. This is a must win game for this team and coaching staff.

A Sooner in Texas
9/30/2007, 01:49 PM

Let's move on to Dallas.

Amen, sister, amen.

In my 35-plus years of Sooner fandom - the "black sheep" in a family of Razorbacks and Pokes alums -- I've seen plenty of painful losses with the usual questioning, Monday morning quarterbacking and whining about whose fault it was. To what purpose? Is our team supposed to play flawlessly week after week? It'd take a team of robots to do that. We were outplayed yesterday, and no doubt outcoached, just as Stoops said. The vast majority of the time, the Sooners are the ones outplaying and outcoaching their opponents. Sure, it sucks to lose, though to see a Saturday with so many other Top 10 teams falling -- and I especially enjoyed the KSU beatdown of the whorns -- should help us realize that there really are no givens in this game week after week.
If losing bothers you that much, don't root for ANY team. That way you'll never be disappointed.
On to Dallas...BOOMER SOONER!

zeke
9/30/2007, 01:55 PM
The coaches absolutely need to catch some flack for that lay down in the fourth quarter. Do we want to fire them? Absolutely not. But the coaches clearly need to feel some pain. Now go out and beat the hell outta saxet, and things are much, much, much better.

Losing to saxet three years in a row at OU is unacceptable. This is a must win game for this team and coaching staff.

You are absolutly right Mex the BULLDOG

Hit the nail on the head

boomrsoonr
9/30/2007, 01:57 PM
I still wish they'd hire Mike Stoops back to run the defense.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 02:59 PM
If he gets fired from AZ, where else is he gonna go? He'll always have a place at OU and I for one would love to see him back. I'm sure I'm not alone. Perhaps they wouldn't lay there and take it anymore if he did.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 03:02 PM
Amen, sister, amen.

In my 35-plus years of Sooner fandom - the "black sheep" in a family of Razorbacks and Pokes alums -- I've seen plenty of painful losses with the usual questioning, Monday morning quarterbacking and whining about whose fault it was. To what purpose? Is our team supposed to play flawlessly week after week? It'd take a team of robots to do that. We were outplayed yesterday, and no doubt outcoached, just as Stoops said. The vast majority of the time, the Sooners are the ones outplaying and outcoaching their opponents. Sure, it sucks to lose, though to see a Saturday with so many other Top 10 teams falling -- and I especially enjoyed the KSU beatdown of the whorns -- should help us realize that there really are no givens in this game week after week.
If losing bothers you that much, don't root for ANY team. That way you'll never be disappointed.

Once again, this type of loss is part of a trend, not an isolated incident. You can bury your head and Rah, Rah, Rah, all you want but it's not going away. There's a consistent problem from year to year that is not fixing itself. Something has got to be done or this kind of thing will continue. This team is turning into Michigan.

Malcolm Kelly's Cousin
9/30/2007, 03:07 PM
I think if we keep ranting about this the coaches might come read it and have a revelation, thus making us freakin' invincible and unbeatable!!

Rabble!!! Rabble!! Rabble!!

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 04:13 PM
who else do you want, red giant? who could do a better job?

i love how some people think we should win everything, every year. then after a loss (which is very rare), firings are in order.
I think most of us understand you can't win every game, but what has happened in the last 2 losses is unacceptable and everyone on the staff should be held accountable; I commend the Mods and Phil for even allowing us to discuss all this unlike some of the other fan sites for other teams.

goingoneight
9/30/2007, 04:37 PM
Coaches do NOT... I repeat, do NOT deserve flak for dropped passes, muffed punts, missed tackles and and CU's wide-open receivers. You all seem to be forgetting that we only lost because of mistakes in execution. The only way you correct mistakes is practice and pure dumb luck. If you think you can make this coaching staff any better, you're an idiot. Point blank, no exception to the rule.

Iglesias had a bad game, his two tipped balls resulted in interceptions for a quarterback who in all actuality played a very good game. How often do you blame Stoops for Iglesias tipping a ball up in the air? Never, Iggy is blaming himself for that, now. And I'm damn sure a kid is taking it hard when he knows he contributed majorly to a loss.

Is it Bob Stoops's fault Reggie Smith muffed a punt? Is that Kevin Wilson or Brent Venables fault OUr defense spent so much time on the field? OUr defense, which has played extremely well up to this point, was gassed because of stupid mistakes. You give a BIG 12 football team the ball inside the 15 when they have all the momentum, you can't just expect a win under all those circumstances. And you cannot, repeat... CANNOT blame the coaches for poor execution.

Tell you what... if you think we're evolving into something bad under Stoops and you're too stupid to see the positive things he's brought to the program, I challenge you to find ONE team who wins every game, every year. When you find that team... let me know which hat you're wearing then. I won't miss you.

StoopTroup
9/30/2007, 04:43 PM
I commend the Mods and Phil for even allowing us to discuss all this unlike some of the other fan sites for other teams.
That a fact Jack.

Soonerfans.com rulz

SPEK

dog-knee
9/30/2007, 05:56 PM
When I read a thread like this, with the p***ing, moaning, b****ing, and whining, I recall two things: first, my mom used to read to me about Chicken Little, who kept shouting that the sky was falling (as Gumby would say, "it ain't true!!!!!!!!"), and Barry Switzer's old saying about Sooner fans -- "how much rice can a Chinaman eat?"

Fact is, nobody I know was predicting an umblemished season back in August. We'll have an opportunity to get back on track next Saturday. Does anybody here really think Stoops and the staff won't have the team's full attention at practice on Monday?

proudsoonergal
9/30/2007, 05:59 PM

Yeah, winning those four Big XII championships (with four different quarterbacks) SUCKED. Especially last year, after the OU/Oregon game, and then the OU/TX loss.....completely gutless. Totally mediocre. Typifies OU's "losing habits."

Yeah, I'm with Red Giant. I think he/she/it is on to something. :pop:

soonerlaw
9/30/2007, 06:07 PM
I think the chances of any team running the table this year is going to be rare. OU suffered a loss, but it was early. If we win out, and we should be favored to do so, I can't imagine not being there at the end.

Although extremely talented, this is a pretty young team, especially on offense, and they need time to gel. Maybe we will get the Buffs again in San Antonio and show them who the better team really is.

MissouriSooner
9/30/2007, 06:11 PM
Amen, sister, amen.

Agreed. I've got kids who are Arkansas graduates, and believe me that UA would trade Houston Nutt for any of our OU coaches, let alone Stoops. Our rich football tradition sets the bar very high, and when we see the team fail to meet that standard, we get frustrated. But at least we've got coaches who have the talent to right the ship. Arkansas and Okie State and Texas - and a bunch of other schools - aren't that fortunate.

Malcolm Kelly's Cousin
9/30/2007, 07:00 PM
Let's look ahead. That was a FLUKE!

No harm done. . . If anything it will fuel the guys and give them something to play for. I can see their emotions intensifying in the next games because of this upset.

Let's embarrass Texas, demolish the most powerful offense in the universe, and win another BIG 12 Championship.

opksooner
9/30/2007, 07:36 PM

Keep Rockin'
You are drowning in your grief, your dispair, and your dissatisfaction. You will not drown. The sun will come up tomorrow and your mother/wife/friends will still love you. In the mean time..............

get a life.

SoonerKnight
9/30/2007, 07:47 PM
Remember the pride!!!!!!

http://www.triumphbooks.com/filebin/fixed_images/Fullsize/1572437715.jpg

Blues1
9/30/2007, 08:08 PM
You are drowning in your grief, your dispair, and your dissatisfaction. You will not drown. The sun will come up tomorrow and your mother/wife/friends will still love you. In the mean time..............

get a life.

I'm not Drowing in despair or grief...I'm just saying we lost the momentium in this game - The play by play guys even saw it....When you lose the momentium especially in a road game you have to try some gutsy plays to try to get it back....Sometimes it works and Sometimes it doesn't - I don't know what you saw..?? - But I think we missed the boat...JMHO..!!
Still R'
PS --- I think Bob Stoops is a great coach and I'm very glad he's at OU, But I think he would agree -We Lost the momentium in this game....

Soonerus
9/30/2007, 08:19 PM
We lost a game we shouldn't have, it happens to every team from time to time...I have not figured it out yet, I guess that's why they play the games....

KantoSooner
9/30/2007, 08:35 PM
Soonerlaw and Mex have it about right: we were the better team, but underperformed. Why? We weren't prepped well. And that is on the coaches. Fair enough. They're pros and know how often the chance for an undefeated season comes along. Long ride home, I'd imagine.

We'll see how they fix it. This weekend is a must.

For those who somehow think there's something so terribly wrong that we should liquidate the coaching staff to 'solve' it, one point and a question:

1. There are still, this Monday morning, something like 109 D1 teams who'd love to be in our position.

2. In a magical world in which you could pick any coach over Stoops, who'd it be? Carroll? Less Smiles? Urban? Saban?

You tell me who would be able to coach OKLAHOMA any better that Stoops right now?

I think we need to gamble a bit more from time to time (okay, a LOT more, but that's me), but I find it pretty dam hard to argue against 80% winning.

And this tearing at ourselves needs to stop right now. It's Monday. Texas week. You want bad? Try losing on Saturday again. It's time to attack, not bicker.

A Sooner in Texas
9/30/2007, 08:54 PM
Once again, this type of loss is part of a trend, not an isolated incident. You can bury your head and Rah, Rah, Rah, all you want but it's not going away. There's a consistent problem from year to year that is not fixing itself. Something has got to be done or this kind of thing will continue. This team is turning into Michigan.

Dear God, the apocalypse is upon us. :eek:

wishbonesooner
9/30/2007, 09:17 PM
I heard someone quote Urban Meyer. He said the worst thing that can happen to a young team is to have it too easy. We had it too easy the first three games. When someone punched us in the mouth, we didn't respond. I think we will from here out.

soonersn2007
9/30/2007, 09:49 PM
The orginal poster was trying to make a valid point. I think those who drink the kool-aid and can't take any negative remarks bout "their" team, and those who wanna fire coaches after every loss.............need to listen to us people in between.

I too, do not like the way we have lost and who we have lost to. We should have handled Oregon last year, where the blown call wouldn't had an effect. A lackluster performance against Boise State, a good team but a team would should beat on any given night. And lastly, not finishing a game by controlling the ball and letting CU back in the game.

It is true that "away" coaching has become conservative, players aren't stepping up to adversity, where is that 4th qtr sooner magic?

These Sooner coaches and assistants need to re-examine their mental preparation of their players............start playing to win instead of playing not to lose.

Doged
9/30/2007, 10:15 PM

With 90 wins, half-a-dozen championships, a Heisman winner and a bunch of individual award winners to cheer about, all you can do is whine about the 20 losses in the last 10 years? GO PLAY INTRAMURALS, BROTHA'!

Makes me wanna' puke. [hairGel]

Blues1
10/1/2007, 07:09 AM

Keep Rockin'

Ok here I go.....

IF you re-read my first paragraph..? - It is basicly a "Compliment to Colorado." Facts Still are - We are The Superior Team but yet we lost the game where we had 17 point lead...Colorado won because they got the Monentium and we couldn't get it back - Plain & Simple.

My 2nd paragraph talks about some of our "Past Games" - WHERE WE Got the "Momentium Back" and we Won Games we could have very easily Lost..Me Saying the players didn't lose this game is not entirely true,yes our players made some costly mistakes - But All We Needed Was one more score after being up 24 to 7 and this game was in the Bag, and thats where I put responabilty on our Coaches...

My 3rd paragraph is based on what our coaches talk about every week - "Getting Better every week as the Season goes on" - and then I make a "Suggestion" our Coaches maybe need to re-think on how to handle tough road games....Yes thats 'My Opinion" and everyone on this Board has a Opinion - so If you want to blast me for mine then get ready to be blasted every time you have a Opinion.... And please notice I said "Our Coaches" not Bob Stoops...

And in the End I'd like to say - After 54 years of following and being a Sooner Fan I've suffered through More hard Loss's than 99% of the folks on this Board - So those of you who think I'm just a *fair weather fan* and need to get a Life have NO IDEA what you are talking about.....54 years is 54 Seasons - After you've been there - then tell me about getting a Life.....

I think Bob Stoops is the Great Coach - And I'm very happy he's our Coach -One of the best in the business - Do I think he has reached the status and knowledge of college football as a Bud Wilkinson or a Barry Swizter...??? - He's very close - but my Opinion he's not there yet. - Just calling it the way I see it.....Everybody Keep Rockin'

Beat The HELL out of Texas......
BOOMER SOONER.....

sooneron
10/1/2007, 08:40 AM
I think the biggest problem seems to be when a team starts nipping at our heels in the 2nd half, we pucker. In the past, someone would step up big (T Marshall, D Strait, A Savage) that doesn't seem to happen so much these days.

boomrsoonr
10/1/2007, 04:19 PM
Well, I for one will not place all blame on the coaches. I know they do not control what happens on the field when the players make mistakes.

But I also can't blame the players on the field for trying to execute calls from the coaches that simply aren't working.

After seeing what this team did to Tulsa and Miami (both are very good teams and I believe either would walk all over Colorado), our mistakes in Boulder shouldn't have resulted in a loss. A close game maybe, but not a loss. The last time I saw (heard this one on the radio) OU look so helpless was in 2004 at the game we don't mention any more.

It's the coaches responsibility to keep the team spirits up, motivate them to play, keep them concentrated, and to call the plays that they can go out there and execute.

Sounded a lot like they kept calling the same plays all day that simply weren't working.