PDA

View Full Version : 10Things That Cost Us the Game

stoopified
9/30/2007, 07:25 AM
Simply put:6 dropped passes,1 dropped punt,and 3 dropped picks cost us the game.If we convert 1 of our drops into a catch for first down or big play instead of incompletion,we win.We don't drop the punt,we win.Finally if we just get someone besides DJ ( if he doesn't hold on to his 2,it could have been ugly)to hold on to a pick we win.
Just my 2 cents.

OU-HSV
9/30/2007, 07:30 AM
Simply put:6 dropped passes,1 dropped punt,and 3 dropped picks cost us the game.If we convert 1 of our drops into a catch for first down or big play instead of incompletion,we win.We don't drop the punt,we win.Finally if we just get someone besides DJ ( if he doesn't hold on to his 2,it could have been ugly)to hold on to a pick we win.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree completely. We can blame the refs all we want to for that supposed incompletion late in the game to Iglesias (which the refs were dead wrong on). But regardless, if we take care of business earlier in the game, then that one play wouldn't have been so critical.

MojoRisen
9/30/2007, 07:31 AM
All turnovers especially late

Rogue
9/30/2007, 07:58 AM
Here's 12 more...

1) Coaching - See all below.
2) Blocking - Biggest line in the history of Oklahoma.
3) Tackling - Whiff, whiff, whiff. List could stop here.
4) Game management - We did it in the 1st half and then folded.
5) Cover 2 - Like we keep saying.
6) Our "soft" schedule and a down year for the conference. - Overconfidence?
7) Penalties - See # 8
8) Discipline - Did it seem like CU got more of the calls? That's why.
9) Played a good team on the road. Credit due.
10) Halftime adjustments, or lack thereof (see #1)
11) Sam B. put in a position to "have to" - And he's not ready for that.
12) Special teams - Field position.

The thing that galls me is when we get outcoached. That happened today. The defensive scheme was awful. Our talent, ESPECIALLY in the secondary, is as good as I've ever seen. Their scheme is ridiculous, lazy, unimaginative, and exploitable, apparently by a freshman QB that is not Sam B.

It's been observed on here each year since Mike S left that we lack that killer instinct. It's hard to complain about the offensive play calling, a popular thing to do after a loss, since they only ran a handful of plays in the 2nd half and executed one as pitifully as the next.

To me, I saw an undisciplined and poorly prepared team today. From Iglesias' antics on the touchback to blown blocking assignments, penalties, wide open Buffalo receivers with a 10 yard "cushion," dropped balls, and wild long snaps.

How do you play 60 minutes of football and not find a way to get the ball to Malcolm Kelly?

Plenty of blame to go around and it starts in the coaches' offices.

reevie
9/30/2007, 08:04 AM
Here's 12 more...

7) Penalties - See # 8

The thing that galls me is when we get outcoached. That happened today. The defensive scheme was awful. Our talent, ESPECIALLY in the secondary, is as good as I've ever seen. Their scheme is ridiculous, lazy, unimaginative, and exploitable, apparently by a freshman QB that is not Sam B.

It's been observed on here each year since Mike S left that we lack that killer instinct. It's hard to complain about the offensive play calling, a popular thing to do after a loss, since they only ran a handful of plays in the 2nd half and executed one as pitifully as the next.

To me, I saw an undisciplined and poorly prepared team today. From Iglesias' antics on the touchback to blown blocking assignments, penalties, wide open Buffalo receivers with a 10 yard "cushion," dropped balls, and wild long snaps.

How do you play 60 minutes of football and not find a way to get the ball to Malcolm Kelly?

I think that sums up what went wrong. It's not one thing, never is.

aurorasooner
9/30/2007, 08:10 AM
With all these drops, our coaches may have to start looking at things like gloves, concentration techniques, relaxation techniques, or just going back to the basics of dedicating 10 minutes after practice to simply catching the ball when the receivers, running backs, LBs and DBs are tired . In one game, I've never seen so many many D-1 athletes that couldn't catch and hold on to the ball. We had plenty of chances to put this one away in the 2nd half, and for whatever reason just dropped the ball. also, KW's top priority should be making sure that MK gets some touches in the 1st quarter. Whether he has to line him up in the slot and motion him, line him up in the backfield and motion him, or whatever, he needs to get the ball to MK early. I don't think it's set in stone anywhere that MK has to line up wide to one side or the other on every passing play.

VMG
9/30/2007, 08:14 AM
My sense was that the team wasn't really ready to play mentally -- a robotic "let's get this over with so we can officially think about Dallas" approach to playing the game. The 24-7 lead came too easily and the team looked like it settled into the "well, we're on our way to another blowout...we can relax now." Not sure the coaches didn't go "there" as well given the conservative play calling that followed. The defense ended up on the field too much, got gassed and the rest is now a matter of record.

In his post game comments, Juaquin said something to the effect, "we're a great team". I think he's wrong; it is a great assembly of talent, but it is not yet a great TEAM. That talent is not good enough to simply go through the motions on the road with Big 12 teams. We'll see what kind of TEAM we have by their response to the adversity they now face. I agree with those who say that one loss doesn't automatically take us out of the hunt for a trip to the show, but it's gonna be a one week at a time gut check all the way there.

sanantoniosooner
9/30/2007, 08:17 AM
I think that sums up what went wrong. It's not one thing, never is.
It's two different discussions.

What cost us the game..........all the drops.

Why did we play like crap......all that other stuff.

PLaw
9/30/2007, 08:26 AM
Pretty much agree, except for #9. CU is not a good team. In fact, they are pitiful. I watched 'em play ASU and FSU. Against, those two mediocre teams, CU got steam rolled and looked more like a poor Texas 5A team.

That said, give CU credit. They stepped up and played a great game, played hard the whole game.

We looked lethergic - coaches and players. Didn't see the fire in the belly from the sidelines that I'm used to from Bob.

Oh well, who were kidding - did you really think we going to NOLA? Fortunately, we can still win the South, play for the Big 12, and go back to PHX to finish some business we left there.

Just need to make sure this is a one game funk and doesn't turn into a slump.

BOOMER
PLaw

kc sooner
9/30/2007, 08:43 AM
Here's 12 more...

7) Penalties - See # 8

I don't know why, but to me it seems that Stoops does not attack any more-on offense or defense. When we play weak teams or at home, he will still attack, but on the road against a decent team, he gets very conservative and it is very frustrating to watch. I'm so sick of zone defenses. The linebackers are always out of place and so is the secondary. If they are so good let em play bump and run and man to man and let the linebackers blitz up the middle every once in a while. I'm sick of just laying back the same 4-3 lineup every play, and when it's 3rd and long, I never feel like we will stop them. On offense, once we got ahead we were usually running on 1st and 2nd down for nothing and then throwing on 3rd down. Pathetic game plan on both offense and defense. I know the players made some mistakes that killed us, but I believe with the right game plan we would have won the game. PLAY AGGRESSIVE!!!!!!!!! Man, I'm still frustrated!!!

zevogolf
9/30/2007, 08:50 AM
Here's 12 more...

7) Penalties - See # 8

Plenty of blame to go around and it starts in the coaches' offices.You can add a total lack of leadership on the field...No one is stepping up and being a leader like Peterson or Bosworth!!!!

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:02 AM
3 things that sum it up

sucky offense
sucky defense
sucky special teams

zevogolf
9/30/2007, 09:04 AM
3 things that sum it up

sucky offense
sucky defense
sucky special teams
Please dont leave out SUCKY coaching!!!!

ric311
9/30/2007, 09:06 AM
Pretty much agree, except for #9. CU is not a good team. In fact, they are pitiful. I watched 'em play ASU and FSU. Against, those two mediocre teams, CU got steam rolled and looked more like a poor Texas 5A team.

You couldn't have actually watched either of those games. CU had a 14-0 lead at ASU and then wilted in the 106 degree heat. CU outgained Florida State by a 3-2 margin, missed two field goals and was on the 10-yard line at the end of the game. Both the ASU and FSU games were winnable games for CU, but they just didn't win.

CU is a pretty good team. Maybe not elite, but a pretty good team just the same.

r5TPsooner
9/30/2007, 09:07 AM
3 things that sum it up

sucky offense
sucky defense
sucky special teams

Sucky defense? They only allowed 7 points in the 1st half and were on the field the entire 2nd half (3rd and 4th quarters) for all but 15 plays. ANY defense would suck being on the field that long, in the thin air, so your post is only 2/3 correct.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:08 AM
Please dont leave out SUCKY coaching!!!!

a lot of guys on here are quite aggiesh if you dare question a coach's game plan.

a hate it when I get upset when we don't perform well and some guy is like your not a true Sooner fan. I'm just like if I wasn't upset when we lost I'd be an aggy.

mobilesteve
9/30/2007, 09:18 AM
#9 Juaquin Igleslias

JohnnyMack
9/30/2007, 09:18 AM
I think our annual Pre-Saxet scheme (you know, play as base a defense as possible) was our undoing. The CB's never got beat deep, they just chewed us up down the field. That and our LB's had a terrible game. They looked like they were on roller skates out there.

usmc-sooner
9/30/2007, 09:24 AM
Sucky defense? They only allowed 7 points in the 1st half and were on the field the entire 2nd half (3rd and 4th quarters) for all but 15 plays. ANY defense would suck being on the field that long, in the thin air, so your post is only 2/3 correct.

funny but if they forced them to go three and out like CU's defense did our offense then they wouldn't have to be out there.
Hey like Stoops said if you don't make em go three and out it's your fault for being on the field all day. Our secondary was bad. Our line wilted and we gave them the old BV signature let em drive the field in the end to win the game.

The defense sucked along with all other phases of the game.

aurorasooner
9/30/2007, 09:36 AM
It's hard to complain about the offensive play calling, a popular thing to do after a loss, since they only ran a handful of plays in the 2nd half and executed one as pitifully as the next. Our offensive game plan and preparation sucked, and so does our 1-back deep I-back set against physical fronts with fast LBs and quality DCs. With our green QB our offense needs to run the ball to be successful with the pass. We scared the hell out of our opposing OOC DCs with all that preseason hoopla about our huge OL and 3 great RBs, and that left the passing game wide open because they were scared s*&tless of the run. Hey, the secret is out. Sam mesmerized not only the fans but unfortunately the offensive coaching staff with his unbelievable ooc start this year and they thought he had magically graduated from rookie to 3 year starting senior, and it burnt us bad in Boulder because we came in with a conservative game plan to do more of the same. KW needs to do whatever it takes to run the ball, and if that includes going with 1 receiver, 1 TE, and 3 backs behind Bradford (or 2 split receivers, 1 TE, 2 backs, or freakin' going to the single wing, whatever), then he needs to get 'er done.

zevogolf
9/30/2007, 09:44 AM
funny but if they forced them to go three and out like CU's defense did our offense then they wouldn't have to be out there.
Hey like Stoops said if you don't make em go three and out it's your fault for being on the field all day. Our secondary was bad. Our line wilted and we gave them the old BV signature let em drive the field in the end to win the game.

The defense sucked along with all other phases of the game.
You can be sure that Bob will say all the right things to deflect any questions about his coaching staff. He loves to put the blame on execution, always has and always will......

cheezyq
9/30/2007, 10:49 AM
Here's what it boils down to me:

Offense - As bad as our offense looked, the problem wasn't the scheme so much as it was execution. Several potentially long runs were stopped by shoe-string tackles and just plain good linebacking by CU. The passing game - how many drops did Iggy have all by himself? Although he made a great catch that was inexplicably reversed, he dropped way too many, just like last year. Where was MK? Bradford shouldn't be blamed for the INTs, both were off tipped passes, and he was on target most of the day. The scheme was a small part of it, but you can't coach dropped passes.

Defense - There's a reason Venables isn't a head-coaching candidate in the offseason. OUr players are unprepared for just about anything. When we win, we win on pure physical prowess. We don't disguise anything, despite what the common belief is. There is no reason at all that we should be running a zone scheme when we have the edge in physical talent in the defensive backfield. We don't run any stunts or twists on the line, and our defensive line has more trouble getting into the backfield than they should. OUr idea of mixing things up is sending a 5th or 6th player. We should be generating pressure with our front 4, blitzing should be left alone until we face better teams.

Defense (cont'd) - Why do we line up in the nickel on running downs? Why do we line up in a base 4-3 on third and long? Why did we let Stoops and then Pelini go? Loyalty is good in most cases, but Venables has failed the Sooners. He's a great positional coach for teaching the fundamentals to the front 7 on D, but he's a terrible game-day coach. Too often the players are out of position and that is evident in games like TGOWWDNS, Boise, and now CU...not to mention Washington, Oregon, and UAB last year, and Tulsa this year. OUr D should be on par w/ LSU, but it won't be until we can demote or replace Venables with a coach who can put his players in the right positions.

Special Teams - Although a large part of our failures on Special Teams can be attributed to the refs failing to call blocks in the back or holding, the rest can be attributed to poor coaching. It doesn't matter how fast you get down the field if you run right by the ball carrier and whiff on the tackle.

Psyche - OUr Sooners fold when the going gets tough. It's as simple, and as heart-breaking as that. This team becomes afraid to lose when the game gets close, not determined to win. I love Reggie, but big-time players don't make huge mistakes like that. Iglesias, as much as I love his big-play ability, HAS to catch EVERY ball that hits him in the hands. From Nic Harris blown coverage at Oregon last year to the entire team's break-down against Boise, this team has no killer instinct, no "ice in the veins". Again, part of this can be attributed to the coaching, which I've covered and will get to in a moment. But big-time players have to make big-time plays. Case-in-point - Roy Williams (TRRW). There were lots of times where TRRW was out of position when he played at OU. But his sheer desire to make the big play willed OU through some of their toughest games.

Coaching - I've already harped on some of the coaching problems we have, but this really is the point. I know coaches don't make the drops and don't blow the coverages and miss the tackles. But it IS their responsibility to put OUr players in position to make plays. We simply don't do that, especially on defense. You want to know what the smartest move by a head coach has been so far this year in the Big 12? Leach "firing" his defensive coordinator after a poor performance. I don't think we have to fire Venables, but I do think we have to limit his contribution to the defensive gameplan. Here's my point, in a nutshell:

2003 vs. K-State (first game after Mike Stoops leaves for 'Zona) - K-State drops 35 on a defense that limited even Texas Tech to only 24 points.

2004 TGOWWDNS - It's hard to know how much of a part Pelini had in this, but Venables was primarily the def. coord. while Pelini was focused on the d-backs.

2005 - UCLA and Texas drop over 40 on us, and even Baylor scores 30 in a game where we have to scratch to win in 2 OTs.

2006 - After struggling vs. UAB and Washington (we were run all over the field in those games), OU loses to an Oregon team that drops 34 points on us. While we were most certainly jobbed in that game, there's no excuse for allowing the huge plays that we did during that game. Then there's Boise, which had OUr defense looking like a broken dam. OUr defense does get better through much of the season, but only when apparently Bob Stoops himself gets involved, as is widely-reported.

2007 - Though we limited Tulsa to 21 points, there were many times that TU receivers were running through the field wide open and the TU passing game goes for 350 yards (why on earth are we running zone against a spread O?). And now CU runs all over us, and finds receivers running wide open against our "vaunted" defense.

I've been a Sooner fan since birth (in the 70s). I've experienced the highs (no, I'm not talking about Charlie T) of the 80s teams (sans 3 games vs thugU), and the lows (the Gibbs, Schnelly, and Blake years) of the 90s. I believe in Stoops, but I hope that soon he realizes that Venables just isn't cutting it. I don't think we need to cut loose from Venables, but we've got to get him out of the game-planning. He's terrible. We've got to get tough, mentally, imposing OUr will on other teams, not waiting to break down and lose.

Sorry for the long post, but this is been building up since yesterday when I turned off the TV after the Reggie muff. I knew we would lose. I've seen it too many times since late 2003. I kept hoping while the TV was off that we would win, and that when I would turn it back on and watched SportsCenter I would see that we pulled it out and that I would be able to go back to the DVR and see what happened, but I knew better. It's tough to watch OUr team (see Reggie pics) lay it all out on the field and have them lose because of poor coaching and lack of mental toughness.

stoopified
9/30/2007, 11:46 AM
My final thought on this is that as bad as we played,coched,blocked,tackled,ran,passed,caught,an d covered we were ony ONE play away from winning.To me those losses are the most maddening.

cburgsooner
9/30/2007, 11:51 AM
Why do we give Reggie Smith a pass on everything . Noone seems to call the Pre season all amiceran out by name. Lots of misses tackles and the muffed punt was the most painfull thing that hurt the defence. IMO

Sooner Eclipse
9/30/2007, 12:02 PM
Why do we give Reggie Smith a pass on everything . Noone seems to call the Pre season all amiceran out by name. Lots of misses tackles and the muffed punt was the most painfull thing that hurt the defence. IMO

I don't think anyones getting a pass on this one. It has a little bit of blame to go around for everyone. Receivers not making clutch catches, line not blocking well for 3/4 of game, play calling, QB inexperience and lack of reads,
RBs trying to hit the HR insted of the 1st down, defensive tackling, LBs and DBs out of position and playing soft zones, base defensive calls in the wrong situation, D line not getting any real pressure, etc....

Lets see, what else can we pile onto the outcome of this game...........Vinny;)

jduggle
9/30/2007, 12:19 PM

Offense - As bad as our offense looked, the problem wasn't the scheme so much as it was execution. Several potentially long runs were stopped by shoe-string tackles and just plain good linebacking by CU. The passing game - how many drops did Iggy have all by himself? Although he made a great catch that was inexplicably reversed, he dropped way too many, just like last year. Where was MK? Bradford shouldn't be blamed for the INTs, both were off tipped passes, and he was on target most of the day. The scheme was a small part of it, but you can't coach dropped passes.

Defense - There's a reason Venables isn't a head-coaching candidate in the offseason. OUr players are unprepared for just about anything. When we win, we win on pure physical prowess. We don't disguise anything, despite what the common belief is. There is no reason at all that we should be running a zone scheme when we have the edge in physical talent in the defensive backfield. We don't run any stunts or twists on the line, and our defensive line has more trouble getting into the backfield than they should. OUr idea of mixing things up is sending a 5th or 6th player. We should be generating pressure with our front 4, blitzing should be left alone until we face better teams.

Defense (cont'd) - Why do we line up in the nickel on running downs? Why do we line up in a base 4-3 on third and long? Why did we let Stoops and then Pelini go? Loyalty is good in most cases, but Venables has failed the Sooners. He's a great positional coach for teaching the fundamentals to the front 7 on D, but he's a terrible game-day coach. Too often the players are out of position and that is evident in games like TGOWWDNS, Boise, and now CU...not to mention Washington, Oregon, and UAB last year, and Tulsa this year. OUr D should be on par w/ LSU, but it won't be until we can demote or replace Venables with a coach who can put his players in the right positions.

Special Teams - Although a large part of our failures on Special Teams can be attributed to the refs failing to call blocks in the back or holding, the rest can be attributed to poor coaching. It doesn't matter how fast you get down the field if you run right by the ball carrier and whiff on the tackle.

Psyche - OUr Sooners fold when the going gets tough. It's as simple, and as heart-breaking as that. This team becomes afraid to lose when the game gets close, not determined to win. I love Reggie, but big-time players don't make huge mistakes like that. Iglesias, as much as I love his big-play ability, HAS to catch EVERY ball that hits him in the hands. From Nic Harris blown coverage at Oregon last year to the entire team's break-down against Boise, this team has no killer instinct, no "ice in the veins". Again, part of this can be attributed to the coaching, which I've covered and will get to in a moment. But big-time players have to make big-time plays. Case-in-point - Roy Williams (TRRW). There were lots of times where TRRW was out of position when he played at OU. But his sheer desire to make the big play willed OU through some of their toughest games.

Coaching - I've already harped on some of the coaching problems we have, but this really is the point. I know coaches don't make the drops and don't blow the coverages and miss the tackles. But it IS their responsibility to put OUr players in position to make plays. We simply don't do that, especially on defense. You want to know what the smartest move by a head coach has been so far this year in the Big 12? Leach "firing" his defensive coordinator after a poor performance. I don't think we have to fire Venables, but I do think we have to limit his contribution to the defensive gameplan. Here's my point, in a nutshell:

2003 vs. K-State (first game after Mike Stoops leaves for 'Zona) - K-State drops 35 on a defense that limited even Texas Tech to only 24 points.

2004 TGOWWDNS - It's hard to know how much of a part Pelini had in this, but Venables was primarily the def. coord. while Pelini was focused on the d-backs.

2005 - UCLA and Texas drop over 40 on us, and even Baylor scores 30 in a game where we have to scratch to win in 2 OTs.

2006 - After struggling vs. UAB and Washington (we were run all over the field in those games), OU loses to an Oregon team that drops 34 points on us. While we were most certainly jobbed in that game, there's no excuse for allowing the huge plays that we did during that game. Then there's Boise, which had OUr defense looking like a broken dam. OUr defense does get better through much of the season, but only when apparently Bob Stoops himself gets involved, as is widely-reported.

2007 - Though we limited Tulsa to 21 points, there were many times that TU receivers were running through the field wide open and the TU passing game goes for 350 yards (why on earth are we running zone against a spread O?). And now CU runs all over us, and finds receivers running wide open against our "vaunted" defense.

I've been a Sooner fan since birth (in the 70s). I've experienced the highs (no, I'm not talking about Charlie T) of the 80s teams (sans 3 games vs thugU), and the lows (the Gibbs, Schnelly, and Blake years) of the 90s. I believe in Stoops, but I hope that soon he realizes that Venables just isn't cutting it. I don't think we need to cut loose from Venables, but we've got to get him out of the game-planning. He's terrible. We've got to get tough, mentally, imposing OUr will on other teams, not waiting to break down and lose.

Sorry for the long post, but this is been building up since yesterday when I turned off the TV after the Reggie muff. I knew we would lose. I've seen it too many times since late 2003. I kept hoping while the TV was off that we would win, and that when I would turn it back on and watched SportsCenter I would see that we pulled it out and that I would be able to go back to the DVR and see what happened, but I knew better. It's tough to watch OUr team (see Reggie pics) lay it all out on the field and have them lose because of poor coaching and lack of mental toughness.

Stoops must face some facts regarding Venables and the continued use of zone defenses. I continue to be surprised that Stoops stays with the zone. Meyer at Florida was playing zone last night and Auburn's Cox found holes all over it. It's the scheme. Cover 2 leaves the middle of the field wide open and the second one of our guys gets undisciplined and tries to make a big play in the middle a receiver ends up wide open in the end zone.

There is no way that this team will win another championship until Stoops changes the defensive philosophy and starts using the athleticism of our defensive players in more man coverage.

How many games does it take to realize that our defense is never going to be anything different than it is as long as we continue to play zone coverage on nearly every down?

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 12:30 PM
You can talk about play calling and poor offense. That's fine. The offense scored 24 points. It should've been more than enough to beat this Colorado team that, as pointed out earlier, had a very hard time winning VERY winnable games. The defense was on the field in the second half because it COULDN"T STOP Colorado. PERIOD. Nothing else. CU adjusted to Vulnerables candy a** defense and thus we lose another one and have to listen to someone that makes 3 mil a year talk about his lack of ability in the coaching department to Dan Hawkins and a 2-2 Colorado team

PLaw
9/30/2007, 12:32 PM
There is no way that this team will win another championship until Stoops changes the defensive philosophy and starts using the athleticism of our defensive players in more man coverage.

How many games does it take to realize that our defense is never going to be anything different than it is as long as we continue to play zone coverage on nearly every down?

Oh, how I long to hear an opposing coach say "we couldn't figure out where they were coming from" like Bowden did after the OB.

Stoops should have his salary reduced by by $250K per year for each time an oppenent hangs more than 40 on us.

How many times did Bud and Barry have 40 hung them?? Once, CU did it, but we put up 82.

If this is what we can expect for the rest of the season, then Bob better get more involved in the D once again. BV should be demoted to LB coach and BS should be the DC through the end of the season when MS will get fired and need a job.

BOOMER

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 12:40 PM
My final thought on this is that as bad as we played,coched,blocked,tackled,ran,passed,caught,an d covered we were ony ONE play away from winning.To me those losses are the most maddening.

We were one play away only because CU is a 2-2 team that was 2-10 last year and had been, until yesterday, completely incompetent in the run game and anemic at best passing.

RedGiant
9/30/2007, 12:45 PM
Oh, how I long to hear an opposing coach say "we couldn't figure out where they were coming from" like Bowden did after the OB.

Stoops should have his salary reduced by by $250K per year for each time an oppenent hangs more than 40 on us.

How many times did Bud and Barry have 40 hung them?? Once, CU did it, but we put up 82.

If this is what we can expect for the rest of the season, then Bob better get more involved in the D once again. BV should be demoted to LB coach and BS should be the DC through the end of the season when MS will get fired and need a job.

BOOMER

Let's not forget that Bobby Jack Wright needs to be FIRED asap. I can't believe he still has a job. He has done so very little with so very much.

GottaHavePride
9/30/2007, 12:48 PM

Where did that come from? Colorado put 27 on us. 27 < 40.

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Here's 12 more...

7) Penalties - See # 8

And it should stay there also; those guys get paid big bucks to get this team prepared to play, but when they go on the road they seem to coach a completely different way than at home; what's up with that?

tulsaoilerfan
9/30/2007, 01:02 PM
Again, why don't they step up and get a 3 and out then? They had plenty of chances to stop CU when they went up 17 and get off the field, but they couldn't do it; after DJ got the pick, Colorado moved up and down the field on them.

jduggle
9/30/2007, 01:21 PM
Again, why don't they step up and get a 3 and out then? They had plenty of chances to stop CU when they went up 17 and get off the field, but they couldn't do it; after DJ got the pick, Colorado moved up and down the field on them.

Exactly.... it all came down to one series where we needed a stop. In fact, all we really needed was to keep them out of field goal range to force OT. But Venables again tried to keep them from making the big play with a zone and in so doing left the middle of the field wide open again. Looked just like Boise St.

With all due respect to our coaching staff, defensive football is not rocket science. It should be pretty obvious by now that there is something wrong with the way we play defense.

Ground_Attack
9/30/2007, 03:35 PM
what was the longest OU drive (with regard to # of plays). I know we had a lot of 3 and outs and several quick strike TD drives. The D never even got to rest when the offense was scoring points. That said, the offense was very unimpressive itself.

arcman46
9/30/2007, 06:01 PM
You can talk about play calling and poor offense. That's fine. The offense scored 24 points. It should've been more than enough to beat this Colorado team that, as pointed out earlier, had a very hard time winning VERY winnable games. The defense was on the field in the second half because it COULDN"T STOP Colorado. PERIOD. Nothing else. CU adjusted to Vulnerables candy a** defense and thus we lose another one and have to listen to someone that makes 3 mil a year talk about his lack of ability in the coaching department to Dan Hawkins and a 2-2 Colorado team

I have to say that you are wrong on this one. The D was on the field the entire second half because the Offense made too many mistakes and kept turning the ball over. Plus special teams failed us and created another turnover. Hawkins is also a VERY good coach. It was his players that beat us last year with Boise State. I said this earlier on another thread and I will say it again. You cannot go into a place like Boulder, make mistakes, have your defense be on the field almost an entire half and expect them to stop anyone. If you have never been at altitude, you just don't know how it saps your energy.

Did the D play well. Somewhat. However, I see flaws in our schemes when we play teams that can spread the ball around. I saw it last year in the Fiesta Bowl, this year against TU and last week against Colorado.

ric311
9/30/2007, 06:01 PM

He's referring to the game in 1980 that was 82-42, Oklahoma.

Zbird
9/30/2007, 07:41 PM
Quotes originally supplied by Rogue -- Bold print is mine

"Halftime adjustments, or lack thereof "

You said it ALL right there

"The thing that galls me is when we get outcoached. That happened today"

Well, ALL except for that

"Plenty of blame to go around and it starts in the coaches' offices".

The woeful failure to make adjustments quickly has cost almost all of the losses in Stoops reign. Learning schemes can be difficult but achievable. Learning adaptations and understanding when and how to use them requires a little intellect and the ability to think on your feet. The coaching failures are coming from the inability in the skybox to analyze what's going on and how to adjust to it.

Texas Golfer
9/30/2007, 07:50 PM
With all these drops, our coaches may have to start looking at things like gloves, concentration techniques, relaxation techniques, or just going back to the basics of dedicating 10 minutes after practice to simply catching the ball when the receivers, running backs, LBs and DBs are tired . In one game, I've never seen so many many D-1 athletes that couldn't catch and hold on to the ball. We had plenty of chances to put this one away in the 2nd half, and for whatever reason just dropped the ball. also, KW's top priority should be making sure that MK gets some touches in the 1st quarter. Whether he has to line him up in the slot and motion him, line him up in the backfield and motion him, or whatever, he needs to get the ball to MK early. I don't think it's set in stone anywhere that MK has to line up wide to one side or the other on every passing play.

I agree totally.

Texas Golfer
9/30/2007, 08:17 PM

Nobody is giving anyone a pass. This was definitely a team effort to lose this game. Reggie's muff was merely the icing on the disaster cake.

Texas Golfer
9/30/2007, 08:29 PM
what was the longest OU drive (with regard to # of plays). I know we had a lot of 3 and outs and several quick strike TD drives. The D never even got to rest when the offense was scoring points. That said, the offense was very unimpressive itself.

This was a complete breakdown by all entities of the team. The offense didn't move the ball with any consistency (and none at all in the second half), the defense couldn't stop the Buffaloes (particularly when it was the most critical), and the special teams (Reggie's muff giving up their TD and couldn't stop their returner from putting them in FG range for the win) played poorly all day.

NS5
9/30/2007, 09:41 PM
tiME LAPSE !!!!!! a/H

StuIsTheMan
9/30/2007, 10:13 PM
http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

We're DOOMED...MY GAWD PEOPLE!:pop:

PLaw
9/30/2007, 10:26 PM

Count the number of times BS and Co. have had 40+ hung them - not speaking directly about yesterday. Point is, BS has had more opponents hang 40+ than Switzer and Wilkinson combined. In fact, the only time in 16 seasons a team put up more than 40 on a Switzer team was by CU, but OU scored more than 80 that day.

BOOMER
PLaw

FaninAma
9/30/2007, 11:10 PM
Our offensive game plan and preparation sucked, and so does our 1-back deep I-back set against physical fronts with fast LBs and quality DCs. With our green QB our offense needs to run the ball to be successful with the pass. We scared the hell out of our opposing OOC DCs with all that preseason hoopla about our huge OL and 3 great RBs, and that left the passing game wide open because they were scared s*&tless of the run. Hey, the secret is out. Sam mesmerized not only the fans but unfortunately the offensive coaching staff with his unbelievable ooc start this year and they thought he had magically graduated from rookie to 3 year starting senior, and it burnt us bad in Boulder because we came in with a conservative game plan to do more of the same. KW needs to do whatever it takes to run the ball, and if that includes going with 1 receiver, 1 TE, and 3 backs behind Bradford (or 2 split receivers, 1 TE, 2 backs, or freakin' going to the single wing, whatever), then he needs to get 'er done.

How did you arrive at those conclusions? If anything the coaching staff didn't trust Bradford enough to make plays. OU only threw 19 passes the entire game. The fact that Wilson didn't mix up the play calling resulted in several 3rd and longs which palyed directly into CU's defensive scheme.

Being even more conservative isn't the answer.

wileyousooner
9/30/2007, 11:31 PM
one of the few outstanding blogs i have read. lots of good points, but we probably won't do anything about the coaching until the end of the year. it should have been done last year. a national championship isn't out of the question. usc is beatable and lsu as well. LSU only led tulane by a point at halftime. i am just a little gun shy WHEN we get there.

go4indian
10/1/2007, 01:21 AM

Awesome post, cheezyq.....and hits the nail right on the head.

adoniijahsooner
10/1/2007, 02:09 AM
Well, like I normally do on sundays, I just went back and watched the game. What I witnessed was a team that played the way it should have played for 3 1/2 quarters; The defense was good, the offense scored off turnovers like it was supposed to, and the coaches coached the way they were supposed to. After reviewing the tape, it would be a huge mistake for this team to try to change philosophies and blaze new trails, when what they have been doing was succesful for 4 3/4 games. The only thing that needs to change, and I believe it will, is for them to stop reading what everyone says, get ****ed off when someone hits you in the mouth, and enjoy playing the game of football. They didnt look to be enjoying themselves at anytime during that game. I don't believe in humility and sportmanship when it comes to football; you have to be cocky, ambitious and willing to do any and everything for a victory. This team is too laid back, they want to be pretty and in the words of leach "have someone daub their little tears". I remember against tulsa chris spielman was angry because a wide receiver was holding up 4 ou defenders, we have got to get ****ed off and start having teams regret the saturday that they play ou. Finesse football doesnt even sound right. gap control, zone read, assignments, all that stuff sounds like basketball talk. Take someones head off if they come into your "zone", grab a facemask, late hit a quarterback, run out of bounds and take out a whole roll of cheerleaders. Do something besides look defeated because the other team wont quit or give in. Guess what? Sh*t is supposed to stink, and next saturday we need get covered in it, because it's time to get nasty!

snp
10/1/2007, 03:15 AM
I know more about coaching than Stoops!

Maybe we need to start paying you millions of dollars :rolleyes:

soonergooner
10/1/2007, 05:24 AM
******Simply put:6 dropped passes,1 dropped punt,and 3 dropped picks cost us the game.If we convert 1 of our drops into a catch for first down or big play instead of incompletion,we win.We don't drop the punt,we win.Finally if we just get someone besides DJ ( if he doesn't hold on to his 2,it could have been ugly)to hold on to a pick we win.
Just my 2 cents.********

Well said, sir. I have argued w/ other fans since sats debacle that the coaching was not near the top reason for our loss. Maybe, btw, a big loss, but only one L. Having played and watched sports of various flavors for decades, I have noticed something I think infected our team Saturday. Maybe call it the blooming idiot disease, or not. Many times, on teams well coached and talented, when one person makes a mistake, followed by another, then the thing freaking blooms into a full fledged screw-upfest. And often the better team loses. Saturday, normally sure handed receivers not only drop passes, they go on to tip them straight to the opponent. And as the poster noted, we were still in the game, on the road, to the very last play! I hope this is the last time this seasons' anti-favorite mojo bites us...

sanantoniosooner
10/1/2007, 07:14 AM
Count the number of times BS and Co. have had 40+ hung them - not speaking directly about yesterday. Point is, BS has had more opponents hang 40+ than Switzer and Wilkinson combined. In fact, the only time in 16 seasons a team put up more than 40 on a Switzer team was by CU, but OU scored more than 80 that day.

BOOMER
PLaw
Coaching in different eras. It's pretty silly to even try and compare these coaches on this particular stat.

Pass happy spread offenses didn't exist during Bud or even Barry's tenure. Neither of them had to play overtime games either. With more parity, more teams have the talent to put up those kinds of points. In the past OU may only play 1 or 2 team that were even capable of scoring like that against a good team. Now they play several that could do it.

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 09:30 AM
I have to say that you are wrong on this one. The D was on the field the entire second half because the Offense made too many mistakes and kept turning the ball over. Plus special teams failed us and created another turnover. Hawkins is also a VERY good coach. It was his players that beat us last year with Boise State. I said this earlier on another thread and I will say it again. You cannot go into a place like Boulder, make mistakes, have your defense be on the field almost an entire half and expect them to stop anyone. If you have never been at altitude, you just don't know how it saps your energy.

Did the D play well. Somewhat. However, I see flaws in our schemes when we play teams that can spread the ball around. I saw it last year in the Fiesta Bowl, this year against TU and last week against Colorado.

Yes, but the defense had several opportunities to get off the field in 3rd or 4th and long situations, and they failed a good percentage of the time. The offense wasn't helping them stay off the field, but the defense wasn't doing anything to get off the field and give the offense a chance, either.

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 09:38 AM
Maybe we need to start paying you millions of dollars :rolleyes:

Well, since I never said anything of the sort, I'm not sure where this bile comes from. I suppose that I'm not entitled to an opinion? Maybe you should prepare a response that challenges the content/accuracy of the post, rather than some figment of your imagination. We're all Sooner fans here. Chill.

snp
10/1/2007, 12:39 PM
Well, since I never said anything of the sort, I'm not sure where this bile comes from. I suppose that I'm not entitled to an opinion? Maybe you should prepare a response that challenges the content/accuracy of the post, rather than some figment of your imagination. We're all Sooner fans here. Chill.

oh please, your whole point is condescending towards the coaching staff. Your post is way too long and erroneous for me to bother breaking it down point by point but suffice to say, a lot of what you're saying you have no clue what you're talking about.

Get a job as a defensive coordinator and then I might start valuing your opinion.

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 12:55 PM
Get a job as a defensive coordinator and then I might start valuing your opinion.

So, by this statement are we to assume you are a DC? I couldn't care less whether you value my opinion or not, regardless of your credentials...or lack thereof. I provided an opinion (which, btw, is what forums/message boards are designed for) and right or wrong it's what I've observed while watching the Sooners. All you've done in this thread is lob generic insults.

snp
10/1/2007, 02:22 PM
So, by this statement are we to assume you are a DC? I couldn't care less whether you value my opinion or not, regardless of your credentials...or lack thereof. I provided an opinion (which, btw, is what forums/message boards are designed for) and right or wrong it's what I've observed while watching the Sooners. All you've done in this thread is lob generic insults.

Thanks for enlightening me on how message boards work. I hadn't figured it out after 3500+ posts.

cheezyq
10/1/2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for enlightening me on how message boards work. I hadn't figured it out after 3500+ posts.

You're welcome.